Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Grape posted:

This sure is a post. Come again?

It's important to come out guns blazing for your first post on the forums, really make an impression

e:
More drones

https://twitter.com/FirasMaksad/status/1152178471562600448

US denies responsibility but lets be real

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If it’s in Iraq then we can probably get away with it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's important to come out guns blazing for your first post on the forums, really make an impression

e:
More drones

https://twitter.com/FirasMaksad/status/1152178471562600448

US denies responsibility but lets be real
Israel?

Theres plausible deniability here

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Iran says it siezed a British flagged oil tanker: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/19/british-oil-tanker-reportedly-seized-by-iranian-forces.html

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can someone explain how EU sanctions on Syria grant EU nations the legal right to seize Iranian tankers allegedly headed to Syria? I still don't understand how that works. Aren't blockades an act of war?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Someone in Iran really wants to start poo poo.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can someone explain how EU sanctions on Syria grant EU nations the legal right to seize Iranian tankers allegedly headed to Syria? I still don't understand how that works. Aren't blockades an act of war?

The justification used was that the tanker was going through Gibraltar's territorial waters, not international waters. Gibraltar, with the aid of the UK, have basically said "you can't use our waters to circumvent our sanctions - that's smuggling" and have offered to release the vessel in exchange for assurances that it won't go to Syria.

Up to you how convincing a justification that is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The justification used was that the tanker was going through Gibraltar's territorial waters, not international waters. Gibraltar, with the aid of the UK, have basically said "you can't use our waters to circumvent our sanctions - that's smuggling" and have offered to release the vessel in exchange for assurances that it won't go to Syria.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

But smuggling to a 3rd country? I also don't see how it could be legal.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

My guess is they will hold it until Britain agrees to release the Iranian tanker they grabbed a few weeks ago.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Count Roland posted:

But smuggling to a 3rd country? I also don't see how it could be legal.

Especially given Britain's not in a declared war against Syria so it could be argued its waters are technically that of a neutral country's, making its justification illegal too.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/1152291233055805440

https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1152287599064735744

and it's a big one.

https://www.balticshipping.com/vessel/imo/9452672

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 19, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Very cool that in this administration it's the State Department that most wants war rather than diplomacy:

https://twitter.com/AliAhmadi_Iran/status/1152290913701498882

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Confirmed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Especially given Britain's not in a declared war against Syria so it could be argued its waters are technically that of a neutral country's, making its justification illegal too.

Think of it more like this. The UK has declared sending oil to Syria to be illegal. Oil being sent to Syria in the UK's territorial waters is therefore contraband and can be seized like any other contraband.

You don't have to declare war to seize goods if it's in your country's waters and those goods are considered illegal by your country. If Iran declared heroin legal, they still couldn't sail a tanker full of it into the UK's territorial waters without it being seized.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's okay when the Good Guys do it.

Gibraltar does not have territorial waters. At least that's the viewpoint of Spain.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Iran have pretty much figured out that donald trump wont do anything to them until 2020 is over.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Al-Saqr posted:

Iran have pretty much figured out that donald trump wont do anything to them until 2020 is over.
And the UK is a political poo poo-show right now and probably won't do much either.

It's a good moment to score some hard-liner brownie points in Iran. And loving about in the straits is a lot less detrimental to your health than heading over to Syria.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Scratch the second one.

https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1152309986833420288

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And the UK is a political poo poo-show right now and probably won't do much either.

It's a good moment to score some hard-liner brownie points in Iran. And loving about in the straits is a lot less detrimental to your health than heading over to Syria.

What would we (the UK) even do if we weren't currently hitting our collective national dick with a hammer? Send over our planeless carrier?

E: our destroyers that don't work in warm water?

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 19, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Beg the Yanks to go do something

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If you want to keep the US safe, putting forces back in Saudi Arabia pretty much objectively isn't the way to do it, but here we go again:

https://twitter.com/MicahZenko/status/1152389495968415745

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

If you want to keep the US safe, putting forces back in Saudi Arabia pretty much objectively isn't the way to do it

Why?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Grand_Mosque_seizure

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_withdrawal_from_Saudi_Arabia#Overview

Even the Bush Administration thought it was more inflammatory than it was worth to stay there, and depending on who you ask it may have been bin Laden's primary motivation for attacking the US.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 20, 2019

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Thanks.

Still, they're invited by the Saudi government. Who cares about what some extremists think?

Appeasing terrorists is how the Holocaust happened.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Aziz of Arabia posted:

Thanks.

Still, they're invited by the Saudi government. Who cares about what some extremists think?

yes i'm sure completely ignoring popular sentiment will work out this time

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich
My dude I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but hating the US is not "popular sentiment" in the Arab peninsula. At least not in Saudia or the UAE, though I admit I haven't visited in the last 5 years.

The hate against the US is entirely on the part of extremists, and the reason extremism has flourished is that until recently, the gulf monarchies have kowtowed to them.

This is a good move to show the fundamentalists that they no longer have a stranglehold on policy.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(non-elite) extremists are EXTREMELY aware they don't control poo poo in the middle east. The US trying to control poo poo is less the inside fastball that makes them back off the plate and more the inside fastball that makes them charge the mound.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

What would we (the UK) even do if we weren't currently hitting our collective national dick with a hammer? Send over our planeless carrier?

E: our destroyers that don't work in warm water?

Lol Britannia rules the waves

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aziz of Arabia posted:

Thanks.

It's tricky. Saudi Arabia is a complicated country. The mosque seizure in 79 really demonstrates how hosed it all is. No non-Muslims are supposed to set foot on holy ground, and the Saudis legitimacy revolves around the idea that they are the legitimate gatekeepers of Mecca.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A divine right to rule, if you will.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

At this point, does whoever is in charge of the Iranian Navy want to start an actual war? It'll probably be Operation Praying Mantis 2.0 and at most the US Navy will be embarrassed by losing a token destroyer while all Iranian Navy ships that dare to sortie get pulverised.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 20, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good read on the British diplomatic incompetence that led to this.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

quote:

The Trump administration is trying to freeze all Iranian oil exports as part of its policy of maximum economic sanctions designed to force the Iranians to reopen talks on the nuclear deal signed in 2015.

Didn't.... Trump personally nix that deal?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Eschenique posted:

Didn't.... Trump personally nix that deal?

Yes. But you see the thing is they want a return to the negotiating table so that Trump can wear his special big boy pants and go "I negotiated a better deal than Obama"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Turkey's massing forces (their own and TFSA) north of Manbij again, and putting them on combat alert. The US still has forces in the area, and Erdogan's always blinked in this situation before, but the new S-400 sale (and resulting US sanctions required by law which Trump hasn't implemented yet and says he doesn't want to) may play a role here. Turkey also seems to be rounding up some number of Syrian refugees in their country for deportation.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
lol, loving Yanks.

https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/1152249384710492161

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

according to US officials there was also a helicopter harassing the ship and it is possible this footage, or some of it, was recorded by that aircraft. I have no idea how you would tell if it was but that's the story.