Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Militant Lesbian posted:

in lennon’s case, maybe The Wife Beatles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
lol at thinking the Beatles were bad or unimportant I mean jfc I hate boomers too but come the f on

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Militant Lesbian posted:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Militant Lesbian posted:

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I like some of the Beatles songs ( "Eleanor Rigby" might be my favourite) but so much music since then has been derivative of their kind of sound (certainly in the UK in the nineties when I was starting to listen to music) that it's hard to appreciate how innovative it apparently was back in the sixties. Also, with so many of the baby boomers getting incredibly smug about how music reached its artistic peak back when they were teenagers that people with a contrarian streak (of which I am occasionally guilty) might not be able to help themselves from pouring scorn on The Beatles just because they can't bear to be told how to feel about a band.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the Beatles were important but unless you believe in like great men theory it was more a right place right time kind of thing

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
th ebest beatles album is pet sounds

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jollity Farm posted:

I like some of the Beatles songs ( "Eleanor Rigby" might be my favourite) but so much music since then has been derivative of their kind of sound (certainly in the UK in the nineties when I was starting to listen to music) that it's hard to appreciate how innovative it apparently was back in the sixties. Also, with so many of the baby boomers getting incredibly smug about how music reached its artistic peak back when they were teenagers that people with a contrarian streak (of which I am occasionally guilty) might not be able to help themselves from pouring scorn on The Beatles just because they can't bear to be told how to feel about a band.

Do like I did and spend a week or so listening to music in chronological order from the dawn of man. By the time The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix start doing their crazy poo poo, you'll be begging for it.

These songs are only 3 years apart. It's like everyone suddenly lost their collective minds at one time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czw8eqepir8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Do like I did and spend a week or so listening to music in chronological order from the dawn of man. By the time The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix start doing their crazy poo poo, you'll be begging for it.

These songs are only 3 years apart. It's like everyone suddenly lost their collective minds at one time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czw8eqepir8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4

Pierre Schaeffer was already doing all the interesting and influential poo poo that the beatles were too timid and unadventurous to even try, 20+ years before the beatles even formed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Schaeffer

take the yellow submarine dildo out of your mouth and learn some actual music history and you might find that most of the actually seriously influential musicians in history (such as Big Mama Thornton) do all the actual innovating and creating of new genres, only to be copied by other bands that then go on to make all the top 10 hits you know (like elvis or the beatles or led zeppelin)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Old fucks can't understand new, good music. gently caress em.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just don't like listening to their music and it literally goes no deeper than that and I don't care about music enough to analyze it beyond that

I don't see Beatles fandom dying with the boomers tho, I know more than a few milennials who adore them for whatever reason

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

you hear me millenials? i will never learn what yeet means

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm a bad goon when it comes to media though because I also loathe David Lynch and as a result I will never watch Twin Peaks because I've reached my limit of his stuff that people assure me is amazing but actually it's incoherent trash

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Epic High Five posted:

I'm a bad goon when it comes to media though because I also loathe David Lynch and as a result I will never watch Twin Peaks because I've reached my limit of his stuff that people assure me is amazing but actually it's incoherent trash

This but with Jim Jarmusch. Most of his movies are pretentious wannabe Euro trash while Ghost Dog is cheesy pretentious wannabe Eurotrash.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Militant Lesbian posted:

Pierre Schaeffer was already doing all the interesting and influential poo poo that the beatles were too timid and unadventurous to even try, 20+ years before the beatles even formed

take the yellow submarine dildo out of your mouth and learn some actual music history and you might find that most of the actually seriously influential musicians in history (such as Big Mama Thornton) do all the actual innovating and creating of new genres, only to be copied by other bands that then go on to make all the top 10 hits you know (like elvis or the beatles or led zeppelin)

Ma'am, this is a Tower Records. Do you want this CD or not?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ruffian Price posted:

Ridiculous mechanical watches that you buy "for the next generation".

you’re about 50 years late here. mechanical watches shifted to luxury items after the quartz crisis made mechanical watches for the purpose of telling time obsolete. they’ve been successfully marketed that way ever since.

you’re likely to see a few of the shittier brands did that haven’t done any innovating and coasted along on Chinese market sales, only to see that market dry up completely

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The Beatles were important to rock and roll, which sucks

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Militant Lesbian posted:

Maybe nobody knows Pierre Schaeffer because his “songs” were random electronic noise and banging instead of anything you can listen to?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Maybe nobody knows Pierre Schaeffer because his “songs” were random electronic noise and banging instead of anything you can listen to?

You can always count on goons to throw horrible obscure stuff at you and then point out how you are such a plebeian for not knowing about it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Militant Lesbian posted:

let’s say you’re right

the Beatles were still incredibly important for moving things forward in the mainstream and having an impact on literally everyone

hth

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Why do we celebrate those who are too timid to do what I do?!"

*lights own genitals on fire and charges into a museum*

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

the Beatles were important but unless you believe in like great men theory it was more a right place right time kind of thing

it could have been Brian, it could have been Brian :sigh:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Militant Lesbian posted:

and this is the actual correct answer

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Militant Lesbian posted:

At least pretension survives past my GenX tribe.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ElGroucho posted:

I just thought of some

Davy Crockett commemorative knives
Time Life Collection of old loving music you can download (featuring one of the Monkees)
Stupid poo poo about the Beatles (get over them, boomers)
Woodstock nonsense
Elvis bullshit
Vietnam movies
Cats, the musical (I hope)

yeah, about that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtSd844cI7U

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Beatles were okay, but they weren't as good as Mao's landlord classicide.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Militant Lesbian posted:

:goonsay:

people should enjoy whatever music they like (even if it's popular)

being a snob about REAL music is insufferably adolescent

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

He pioneered sampling. His musique concrète style of composition inspired the music professor who approached Bob Moog to build his first synthesizer*. The man literally invented/inspired sampling and synthesizers, which if you haven’t noticed, isa lot more popular these days than rock ‘n’ roll. Musique concrète was also the forerunner of early industrial music, which eventually went on to have huge influences in modern musical styles such as trap, chopped & screwed, and witch house music.

Meanwhile Gibson guitars is facing bankruptcy because nobody buys guitars anymore because rock is dead. But you don’t need a top ten hit or to be a household name to revolutionize art.

quote:

Moog's first customized modular systems were built during 1965 and demonstrated at a summer workshop at Moog's Trumansburg, New York, factory in August 1965, culminating with an afternoon concert of electronic music and musique concrète on August 28.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

edit - eh whatever people are learning stuff, but from hereon please include something about how Mao did nothing wrong with any music-centric posts

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Militant Lesbian posted:

He pioneered sampling. His musique concrète style of composition inspired the music professor who approached Bob Moog to build his first synthesizer*. The man literally invented/inspired sampling and synthesizers, which if you haven’t noticed, isa lot more popular these days than rock ‘n’ roll. Musique concrète was also the forerunner of early industrial music, which eventually went on to have huge influences in modern musical styles such as trap, chopped & screwed, and witch house music.

Meanwhile Gibson guitars is facing bankruptcy because nobody buys guitars anymore because rock is dead. But you don’t need a top ten hit or to be a household name to revolutionize art.

is Gibson going bankrupt because nobody buys guitars anymore, or is it that late capitalist thing where they're blaming nebulous market forces and THOSE drat KIDS instead of their massively overpricing their product because boomers buy them to feel more macho and no price tag is too high for that for them, only now all the boomers are dying

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

theyre going bankrupt cos of all the hackings. theyre always hacking all the gibsons, all the time,

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Beatles were reactionary trash because we actually do need a revolution and everything is not, in fact, going to be alright.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Epic High Five posted:

is Gibson going bankrupt because nobody buys guitars anymore, or is it that late capitalist thing where they're blaming nebulous market forces and THOSE drat KIDS instead of their massively overpricing their product because boomers buy them to feel more macho and no price tag is too high for that for them, only now all the boomers are dying

it’s because Gibsons are insanely overpriced and refuse to update their legacy designs so you still get poo poo like angled headstocks where too much string tension or humidity changes can snap the neck, meanwhile you can buy a Mexican made fender for like 350 that sounds just as good/better and you can throw it down the stairs and it’ll probably be okay once you retune it

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Jollity Farm posted:

A lot of famous bands back then had songs about fuckin underaged girls

It seems to be a common theme

Wonder if any of it has to do w/ Epstein and Weinstein

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Truniht posted:

now im not saying that all boomers are pedophiles but,

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Truniht posted:

all super-famous musicians have hosed teenage girls since the early days of sinatra

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

surely franz liszt did some of that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sinatra, buddy holly, all the rolling stones, half of led zeppelin, every 80s stadium rock band, every 90s grunge band, every 2000s hip hop star, drake: all have taken advantage of the 15 year old girls that come to their shows

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Biplane posted:

theyre going bankrupt cos of all the hackings. theyre always hacking all the gibsons, all the time,

:golfclap: for you and Mao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the reason it's never discussed is because at least half a dozen of your favorite musicians also did it, and this applies to everyone lol