Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

primarily get the gently caress away from that tourist trap as much as you can

Otherwise what are you into, the city's your oyster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Going to be doing 3 days in Paris. Any good off the path eats and drinks? I enjoy bar hopping. Also whats a good neighborhood to stay in

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Waroduce posted:

Going to be doing 3 days in Paris. Any good off the path eats and drinks? I enjoy bar hopping. Also whats a good neighborhood to stay in

Marais is the obvious recommendation nowadays, and Belleville is the new Marais. It's Paris, there's 10000000000000000000000 "off the path" restaurants and bars

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Marais is the obvious recommendation nowadays, and Belleville is the new Marais. It's Paris, there's 10000000000000000000000 "off the path" restaurants and bars

Alternatively, it's Paris, and 100% of Paris is a pretty well-worn path. There are good restaurants and bars in basically any part of the city.

Except the Latin Quarter, which blows, unless you want to meet up with foreign backpackers on their summer break from university, or clueless foreign tourists wearing fanny packs eating in the worst restaurants in Paris.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Lol i mis read the departing dates and now it looks like Barca. I've done las ramblas and the houses and the church. Any hipster areas or off the baten path deals

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

webmeister posted:

There are ATMs in the arrivals hall at every major airport so unless you’re super paranoid I wouldn’t worry about bringing cash with you. Just avoid the ones marked ATM in huge letters and with yellow branding, they’re everywhere in Europe and give you extremely lovely rates. Stick to bank machines, not private ones, and look for Telebanco or Bancomat signage - ATM is an English term.

And whenever an ATM or credit card terminal asks you to choose between your home currency and the local currency, always pick the local currency. The “convenience” of being charged in your local currency is also the convenience of a super lovely rate.

Be on the lookout for the Euronet ATMs, they were everywhere in Rome, also, they were the only ATMs I saw in Fiumicino airport at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Hh8kY_hOY

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

uli2000 posted:

Be on the lookout for the Euronet ATMs, they were everywhere in Rome, also, they were the only ATMs I saw in Fiumicino airport at all.

Just decline the conversion when withdrawing money and it will be converted by your own bank instead at whatever rate your bank gives you (still won't be mid-market, of course, but it'll be closer than some scammy third party ATM company). Obviously this works best with a travel-friendly bank like Schwab or whatnot that doesn't tack on currency conversion fees themselves. You still may get hit with fixed fees from the ATM itself for withdrawals, though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah, never ever accept the ATM's conversion. Also, if the ATM has a fee they are required to say it and you have to confirm it - at least it's always been like this with my bank card. In places like Spain and Italy I just go around shoving my card into machines until one doesn't ask about the fee and just spits out the money instead (that means there was no fee, remember what bank it was for next time). Besides these things, it's all up to your bank, and your bank is almost always more trustworthy than whatever ATM you are using. At least for my bank, the rates when withdrawing are better than converting in almost any other way, and safer than carrying a wad of cash around.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Lol i mis read the departing dates and now it looks like Barca. I've done las ramblas and the houses and the church. Any hipster areas or off the baten path deals

Check my posts on the last page. For bar hopping top options would be Gracia (any plaza), El Born, the Raval (Joaquin Costa), Poble Sec (Carrer de Blai for tapas bar hopping)...plenty of good spots in Eixample too although not as well clustered. Also check for events when you're here because there's almost always some neighborhood festival or something going on somewhere.

Edit: also, common mistake but Barca refers to the football team; the city's nickname is Barna.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The thread told me not to do Venice in July but it’s easily the most amazing place I’ve ever been and the weather wasn’t nearly as hot as everyone claimed, and we were lucky enough to randomly book an Airbnb in a place that isn’t overrun by tourists.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
you missed a 100°+ heatwave by about 2 weeks

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

uli2000 posted:

Yeah, Euronet is the company I was specifically referring to with the yellow branding. Even if you decline their conversion rate they tack on a colossal fee for using the machine, on top of whatever your bank might charge. And they do the scammy thing by offering you huge amounts of money since it’s an unfamiliar currency. One of the most prominent options on their machines is about two months salary in Czech Republic :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh yeah that's the other thing they do. I didn't see it recently in Amsterdam, perhaps they've had to adapt them to behave more normally when someone inserts a Dutch, but in the past they would show something like 100-200...1000 euros as options, while the average that people withdraw here is normally 70.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I think I used it in Vienna for 150 eur and chose conversion, I lost 30 eur on commission.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

My bank forced me to change the pin. "We see you were using a lovely atm!"

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
I’m a big dumb idiot and didn’t have time to order pounds from my bank. Are the Airport ATMs really as bad as people say?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Apathy420 posted:

I’m a big dumb idiot and didn’t have time to order pounds from my bank. Are the Airport ATMs really as bad as people say?

In my experience ATMs are ok. And if not, well you can buy a public transport ticket with your card and then find an ATM in town.

What's terrible is the cash exchange booths, those have the worst rates.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Apathy420 posted:

As mentioned a few posts back, stick to bank ATMs rather than private ones, especially Euronet ones.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Apathy420 posted:

ATM’s are fine, just avoid the exchange places as stated above me.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Apathy420 posted:

Bank ATMs are good. Just verify what your home bank may charge you for using an ATM outside their network. I know on my Bank of America Account if I used a Barclay's ATM in the UK it's like a $2 ATM fee and no foreign transaction fees, but if I use any other ATM it's like $5+1%. There are lots of banks that don't charge any ATM or foreign transaction fees. I have a Capital One account that I'll put money in when I travel because they don't charge me any fees at all when abroad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I think many credit cards (most?) also allow you to take out money of an ATM, and it counts it against your total allowance but with very little fees. You might need a PIN for that though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

I think many credit cards (most?) also allow you to take out money of an ATM, and it counts it against your total allowance but with very little fees. You might need a PIN for that though.

Since most payment terminals in Europe don't allow you to pay with a credit card without a pin either, that should be no problem.

If you go to Europe with a CC without knowing the pin and without any cash money you just screwed yourself.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Please advise me as to the best area to stay in and some cool bars/drinking places in Vienna. I have 3 days there

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

webmeister posted:

Yeah, Euronet is the company I was specifically referring to with the yellow branding. Even if you decline their conversion rate they tack on a colossal fee for using the machine, on top of whatever your bank might charge. And they do the scammy thing by offering you huge amounts of money since it’s an unfamiliar currency. One of the most prominent options on their machines is about two months salary in Czech Republic :v:

Deutsch Bank ATMs had no fees when I was in Barcelona and Madrid a week or so ago. Caixa Bank (local bank) tried to charge me 5 euro per transaction. If you get caught at an ATM with high fees, just decline the transaction and try something else if you have the time.

quote:

If you go to Europe with a CC without knowing the pin and without any cash money you just screwed yourself.
Chase wouldn't let me put a pin on my card when I called them. They said it wasn't an available feature, and I have a pretty high end travel card. AMEX allowed it, but AMEX isn't accepted everywhere. I have been having a lot of luck with the NFC phone pay services (Google Pay, etc.). It works nearly everywhere and doesn't require a signature.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 20, 2019

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Deutsch Bank ATMs had no fees when I was in Barcelona and Madrid a week or so ago. Caixa Bank (local bank) tried to charge me 5 euro per transaction. If you get caught at an ATM with high fees, just decline the transaction and try something else if you have the time.
These fees also vary depending on what your bank is - when I'm with others it's always different banks where we can withdraw without fees.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

Because America is in the dark ages a lot of their credit cards still don't come with PINs at all.

I'm always shocked the first time I go there and get handed the slip of paper to sign when I've used my CC.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It really confused and concerned me when I was at an american restaurant for the first time and the fuckers expect to actually take your card when its time to pay

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, the "tap credit card to pay" feature is fairly widespread in Europe, isn't it?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Yeah. I was surprised to hear the US got them only recently.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

It really confused and concerned me when I was at an american restaurant for the first time and the fuckers expect to actually take your card when its time to pay

Non-Americans always here: "I'll be back shortly. It only takes a few seconds to copy your credit card."

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Shy posted:

Contactless was rolled out in 2005, I remember having a card. For whatever reason people hated them. I forget if the 2005 version was actually less secure or something or if it was some typical US nonsense. Anyway, Apple and Samsung/Google contactless is changing people's minds about it. Someday we might get PINs too.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
A lot of it is that for a long time the US just had way better protection for people whose credit cards were stolen (no idea how things are currently overseas, but...); when the maximum you’re liable for if someone steals your card is 50 bucks and the headache of getting a new card - and the credit card companies are usually happy to write off that 50 bucks - the hassle of dealing with PINs etc starts to feel like a point of friction more than real security.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

What's the best time to visit Bucharest? I've got an open invitation from a Romanian friend of mine. Any trip won't be for a while, but I figure it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. Also, anything I should keep in mind when visiting Romania?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

webmeister posted:

I found one of these cunty things, or something very similar to it in Gdansk, it offered me the equivalent of 200 euros or something in zloty as the lowest possible amount. I realized what was going on fortunately. How are these not illegal?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Karenina posted:

What's the best time to visit Bucharest? I've got an open invitation from a Romanian friend of mine. Any trip won't be for a while, but I figure it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. Also, anything I should keep in mind when visiting Romania?
It's one of those cities that people escape from during the summer to go to the coast/countryside, though not as bad as Madrid or Sofia. So I guess avoid July and August and you're good.

Sand Monster posted:

Also, the "tap credit card to pay" feature is fairly widespread in Europe, isn't it?
Yes, but that still requires a PIN if you spend more than a certain amount.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Gonna be in Stockholm in late September for a week. Any tips regarding the weather? I've been before in July and despite being the summer, didn't find it that hot, so I don't know how cold it would actually be in September.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

radlum posted:

Gonna be in Stockholm in late September for a week. Any tips regarding the weather? I've been before in July and despite being the summer, didn't find it that hot, so I don't know how cold it would actually be in September.

15c is probably a normal daytime temperature, 20 isn't impossible but towards 10 is more likely. High chance of rain.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I found one of these cunty things, or something very similar to it in Gdansk, it offered me the equivalent of 200 euros or something in zloty as the lowest possible amount. I realized what was going on fortunately. How are these not illegal?

It depends on the local consumer protection laws, really. That's partly why you see them so often in Poland, Czech, Hungary etc whereas they're actually banned from Amsterdam.

Side note: as you'd expect from a company called Euronet, it's headquartered in Kansas.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Can't wait for people to start thrashing those machines, most useless poo poo ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shy posted:

I don't know if I've mentioned it in this thread, but: I will forever love my experience in Dublin at (I think) the leprechaun museum. The clerk asked me for my credit card to pay, but I just tapped the machine to pay.

"You're not an American, are you?"