Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

necroid posted:

doesn't take into consideration that plastic will be here long after we're all dead and gone, while paper isn't. does this offset the production costs? I dunno but I think that maybe we've reached a point where we all understand that low production (and sale) costs aren't the best metric to judge how good or bad something is in the long run. cheap plastic stuff is cheap for a reason.

Problem is in the short term we're going to all die from climate change unless something is done yesterday. Yes plastics will need to be reduced in the long term but in the short term poo poo like straw bans do literally nothing in the long or short term. You can say we should do it any way "because it starts a conversation" or whatever neoliberal influencers want to go with but the only conversation it's started is to get us stuck in a false dichotomy.

necroid posted:

I also agree with this 100% but I hate the fact that the usual result of this line of thought (for the average man) is "oh well I won't be making an impact, it's up to the big corporations to stop polluting etc.".

Anyone who follows this line of thought was never going to do anything without being forced to so :shrug:

necroid posted:

seriously how hard is it to take responsibility for your own behaviour while also NOT being ok with the huge issues that exist at corporate level? you can change your lifestyle and reduce your overconsumption and garbage production without ignoring the fact that big corporations have been loving us all right up the rear end for a long time.

Hey go for it. I take reusable into stores in a place that doesn't ban plastic ones I just don't think it's doing literally anything to save the planet and I absolutely understand that this is only done to quell existential dread at killing the planet I live on. The problem is most people do these things as statements and assume that that's all that needs to be done. There are endless studies that show people are okay with not solving a problem as long as the non solution makes them feel better.

Incidentally this is the reason why Tesla drivers are insufferable.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

The deal about plastic straws isn't about energy use or carbon emissions its about feeling bad about the plastic in the ocean, and apparently plastic straws are the most likely thing to end up in the ocean.

This isn't true. Most of the plastic waste in the ocean comes from plastic that is improperly disposed IE littering. The US breaking every other norm of our garbage fire country is less than one percent of the waste generated through this.

Edit: This doesn't mean the US doesn't have a massive plastic problem it just doesn't happen to end up in the ocean. It ends up in a landfill.

Sedisp has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bike tory posted:

I've seen opinions from disability activists in both directions actually. Some are disappointed because a lot of the argument in favour of the ban is based on the idea that "no one actually needs a straw". So some disabled people are putting their hands up and saying "um actually..."

Yeah, that's legit and fine.

Everybody can't know everything all the time.

It might be better if we went with something more like a public awareness campaign that if you don't need to use plastic, or can re-use it, do so.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The deal about plastic straws isn't about energy use or carbon emissions its about feeling bad about the plastic in the ocean, and apparently plastic straws are the most likely thing to end up in the ocean.

no. that would be commercial fishing nets.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Let's ban tourism, all that traveling can't be helping. lol like that will ever happen. I think I'll go fly to the Alps for a vacation and see the glaciers there before they disappear.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Jul 20, 2019

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if you’re out and about with someone disabled, simply deflate their Foley catheter and drink via that. you can also use the same catheter the drain that full bladder after drinking all that coke

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, that's legit and fine.

Everybody can't know everything all the time.

It might be better if we went with something more like a public awareness campaign that if you don't need to use plastic, or can re-use it, do so.

I think the one thing that most people would agree with is that consumer choice is not going to solve this problem

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

where are these places because all i see is annoyed environmentalists pissed off that officials feel like they did something, angry boomers that we all try to ignore, and liberals trying as hard as humanly possible to clap themselves on the back for their Tesla purchase.

also what group could even ban single use plastics successfully that isnt a nation anyway. or is packaging not considered single use despite being less reusable than fast food trash

EU and India are implementing pretty sweeping bans of single-use plastics.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bike tory posted:

I think the one thing that most people would agree with is that consumer choice is not going to solve this problem

The only thing that will solve the problem is impotently posting on forums about the evils of banning single-use plastics.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Sedisp posted:

This isn't true. Most of the plastic waste in the ocean comes from plastic that is improperly disposed IE littering. The US breaking every other norm of our garbage fire country is less than one percent of the waste generated through this.

Edit: This doesn't mean the US doesn't have a massive plastic problem it just doesn't happen to end up in the ocean. It ends up in a landfill.

oh. so it's 100% a PR stunt.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

oh. so it's 100% a PR stunt.

Liberals love the idea of "having done something" while making almost no real change and placing no additional burdens and restrictions on industry.

Anyone who is still of the mindset that "the people who are critiquing straw bans on efficacy and ableist grounds" and "the chuds who get angry that they are personally inconvenienced in any way" are the same group of people definitely has brain worms.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is literally impossible to not participate in the scourge of single use plastics. even the things that somehow arent sold within or made of it are produced using it. why dont you do some research on these poisonous industries you want to fight

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

EU and India are implementing pretty sweeping bans of single-use plastics.

those would be nation sized actors, which my post already said would be the only viable option. a city in the USA banning plastic would literally have nothing to sell lol.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Larry Parrish posted:

those would be nation sized actors, which my post already said would be the only viable option. a city in the USA banning plastic would literally have nothing to sell lol.

The closest non-federal actor in the US that could do it effectively would be California. Any state short of CA would likely be told to get rekt.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GEMorris posted:

The closest non-federal actor in the US that could do it effectively would be California. Any state short of CA would likely be told to get rekt.

considering our current consumer behavior focused bans have actually been disguised corporate welfare, I dont see that happening. yall realise the petrochemical companies here are making more money after the shopping bag 'ban' right.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
fianlly

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starting to think the bosses are bastards

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Taintrunner posted:

Name and shame in the local games community, off-site OP.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yeah sink that fucker's poo poo to the ground

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Taintrunner posted:

I’m sure he was offering great pay for great work and not “slightly above minimum wage” which is par for the course for small business owners in my experiences

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Name and shame.

People really need to start doing this. I have no idea why they don't if they have already been fired.

Here I'll start: I personally witnessed Farmers Insurance (owned by Zurich Financial Group) in the San Diego area defraud customers in a significant way and when I tried to fix it (a previous agent created the policy and I just had it dropped in my lap after that agent hosed off to NorCal) I got stonewalled and stymied every step of the way and was basically finally told to ignore it because those people weren't going to be buying more insurance from us anyway and they didn't have the means to pursue legal action.

E: couple edits

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Jul 21, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Q is not E

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Moridin920 posted:

People rely need to start doing this. I have no idea why they don't if they have already been fired.

Here I'll start: I personally witnessed Farmers Insurance (owned by Zurich Financial Group) in the San Diego area defraud customers in a significant way and when I tried to fix it (a previous agent created the policy and I just had it dropped in my lap after that agent hosed off to NorCal) I got stonewalled and stymied every step of the way and was basically finally told to ignore it because those people weren't going to be buying more insurance from us anyway and they didn't have the means to pursue legal action.

Stockholm syndrome. it’s not just for a$ap rocky anymore

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They were an elderly black couple too. Was loving heartbreaking and rage inducing to learn that they had been scraping and scrimping to continue paying hundreds a month for the diabetic husband's life insurance because if he dies she has no income at all but haha turns out he isn't actually insured for gently caress all and Farmers has been lying to them for years and if he dies she's not getting poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This was quite some time ago and I think they were bought by another franchisee since this but when I worked at Domino's pizza on the corner of Alga and El Camino in Carlsbad they sometimes (without announcing it to us beforehand) had the regular employees stay hours after close (talking until like 4-5am when they were scheduled to go home at 10/11) to clean the store on hands and knees with harsh chemicals and 0 protection. When one girl complained that she was having trouble breathing the manager gave her poo poo and joked about the stack of applications in the office. He did give her a few minutes outside though tbf.

What's gonna happen? Sue me for my Legos and then get hosed in court because you have to prove I'm intentionally lying to be malicious for it to be slander/libel.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Jul 21, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

People really need to start doing this. I have no idea why they don't if they have already been fired.

often in order to get severance you sign a non-disparagement agreement

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok but I'm pretty sure the Jersey small town games store doesn't offer severance packages.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

Ok but I'm pretty sure the Jersey small town games store doesn't offer severance packages.

it says right in the image “I got a month’s severance”, so I don’t share your certainty about that :shrug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're right someone might have doxxed the guy and then the store would pursue legal action to recover that like $2k on a questionably enforceable agreement which is a hypothetical anyway.

People have just been cowed into not using their voice that's all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

You're right someone might have doxxed the guy and then the store would pursue legal action to recover that like $2k on a questionably enforceable agreement which is a hypothetical anyway.

People have just been cowed into not using their voice that's all.

There's probably identifiers in his post history but it's blacked out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

you can just admit you were wrong. you thought the reasoning was “ok” when you thought it didn’t apply. just let it wash over you.

non-disparagement clauses are enforceable if there was meaningful consideration exchanged, as far as I know. have you seen otherwise?

I do like that you don’t think a small business owner would be petty in pursuit of vengeance if the naming and shaming had any effect (or they saw the post while googling their store name, which of course small businesses never do) — which I assume you think it could, since you’re advocating for it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly I'm not willing to take the "I was fired for being too sober!!!" claim at face value regardless.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

So spending $30k to ensure a corp gets its $5.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chomp8645 posted:

Honestly I'm not willing to take the "I was fired for being too sober!!!" claim at face value regardless.

my only thought is that the boss is an alcoholic or addict himself, and doesn’t want the comparison (even in his own mind)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

So when the gently caress did you join the managerial class you sack of poo poo leech

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Who is the democrat cop who was bragging/laughing about throwing parents in jail if their kids are late for school?

Because this is the kind of thing liberals love.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Who is the democrat cop who was bragging/laughing about throwing parents in jail if their kids are late for school?

Because this is the kind of thing liberals love.

presidential candidate kamala harris

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

atelier morgan posted:

presidential candidate kamala harris

Yes, that's her. She'll be a great president I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Yes, that's her. She'll be a great president I'm sure.

she doesn't openly sexual harass women constantly or loudly support racism so she's way behind biden