Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress Data looks terrifying.

Other than that, I'm actually a *little* less pessimistic about this than before. My wife bought CBS all access to watch Disco so I don't have much excuse not to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Croatoan posted:

That's what I thought but since no one said anything I felt I'd look dumb. Also the borg nanite girl sounds more plausible so maybe it is dumb. In that case, haha look at you, you look dumb!

poo poo!

My theory is based on her kind of having the same look and with Data showing up, maybe Lal is the secret ingredient in the Borg plans for domination. People talking about her not knowing what she is, so she might have human memory implants and until recently was being held in a detention facility for former drones?

Yeah I know Lal died, that's probably a flaw in the theory.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My guess: they are sticking with Voyager having destroyed the Borg, and the entire collective collapsed. The incident that led Picard to leave Starfleet was related to how they were dealing with Borg refugees as an influx arrived.

It is interesting to imagine how they would deal with de-Borgified individuals on-masse. Who has jurisdiction over them? I could see Starfleet refusing to get involved with Romulans capturing a dormant cube and holding its cube, despite many of the drones being former Federation citizens.

Starfleet perspective is that they were officially declared KIA AND THEY won't risk war by intervening to rescue them.

Edit: I really really hope if they are going in this sort of direction they do stick with the Borg no longer being a threat throughout the season.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I hope Picard and crew reach a point where success in their mission is simply impossible, physically impossible, and John Luck Pickerd is forced to finally try calling in a favor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh please have him on the show. He is a delight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love that he apparently kept the Captain Picard Day banner from the Enterprise D but threw the Kurlan Naiskos in the garbage

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Senor Tron posted:

My guess: they are sticking with Voyager having destroyed the Borg, and the entire collective collapsed. The incident that led Picard to leave Starfleet was related to how they were dealing with Borg refugees as an influx arrived.

It is interesting to imagine how they would deal with de-Borgified individuals on-masse. Who has jurisdiction over them? I could see Starfleet refusing to get involved with Romulans capturing a dormant cube and holding its cube, despite many of the drones being former Federation citizens.

Starfleet perspective is that they were officially declared KIA AND THEY won't risk war by intervening to rescue them.

Edit: I really really hope if they are going in this sort of direction they do stick with the Borg no longer being a threat throughout the season.

I feel like this is a cool direction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is supposed to take place after Romulus blows up

I really think a major TNG cast member is going to die either in the pilot or in a flashback, as the first teaser seemed to imply

It sure does seem like a lot of Romulans are in this series though, maybe as refugees?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gonz posted:

Oh please have him on the show. He is a delight.

If they don’t the show will be a failure regardless of anything else.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really think a major TNG cast member is going to die either in the pilot or in a flashback, as the first teaser seemed to imply

The twist: it's Tasha Yar

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Worf killed offscreen

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

I hope Picard and crew reach a point where success in their mission is simply impossible, physically impossible, and John Luck Pickerd is forced to finally try calling in a favor.

Well one of the Short Treks is called Q&A...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Riker got diabetes and his legs got cut off.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

This is a cool take and I am on board with this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

marktheando posted:

Well one of the Short Treks is called Q&A...

I want more than a Short Trek. But yeah knowing there's a Picard one and the one Chabon is doing having Q in the name... real mindfuck if he isn't in it.

I also like the Borg collapse refugee idea as part of what's going on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are three confirmed Romulan members of the 'main' cast, so we're definitely going to be dealing with the destruction of Romulus/maybe the fall of the Romulan Empire?

Maybe some Tal Shiar people get a hold of that derelict Borg cube to use it as a weapon against the Federation or something

I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with those ships that are approaching what looks like Mars

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I want more than a Short Trek. But yeah knowing there's a Picard one and the one Chabon is doing having Q in the name... real mindfuck if he isn't in it.

I also like the Borg collapse refugee idea as part of what's going on.
I'm betting that 'Children of Mars' is the Picard show prologue one

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

marktheando posted:

poo poo!

My theory is based on her kind of having the same look and with Data showing up, maybe Lal is the secret ingredient in the Borg plans for domination. People talking about her not knowing what she is, so she might have human memory implants and until recently was being held in a detention facility for former drones?

Yeah I know Lal died, that's probably a flaw in the theory.

I went with this same general idea too earlier when cold pitching a guess to my partner, but realized it was a hard fit. Basically, B4 somehow had its programming hyper affected and replaced by Lal's programming that was downloaded into Data's memory banks when she died, reformatted its exoskeleton to match, now the Romulans want it for reasons as they rebuild. She's on the run, finds Picard to get help, and Picard needs to track down what's left of the Borg to help revive Junk Drawer Data to reunite dad and kid.

Then I realized that was the dumbest idea I've ever come up with a resigned to "yeah, Romulans are genociding Borg refugees and Locutus has to come back to save them."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

It could be an interesting opportunity to explore a new angle on Picard's Borgification: that rather than struggling with his assimilation as an inner demon, he could identify as a member of a newly emerging Borg people born in the wake of the collective's destruction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It just occurred to me that some random website with no supporting evidence back in May was right about Data appearing on this show

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm excited. The complainers are joyless and jaded

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't mean to be a spoilsport but that is not gonna be good and I'd like someone to quote this and praise me when it happens

I'll just quote you now and tell you to gently caress the gently caress off if you're just going to make serial shitposts about how you aren't doing things

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm seeing on another site someone pointing out that in the shot with the Romulan guards, it appears like those are Borg alcoves behind them, so maybe this Borg cube has been abandoned for awhile and is being used as some kind of joint UFP/Romulan research facility? It looks like both English and Romulan on that sign

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm dumb enough to be excited by pure fanservice but not dumb enough to think it'll be much good

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm seeing on another site someone pointing out that in the shot with the Romulan guards, it appears like those are Borg alcoves behind them, so maybe this Borg cube has been abandoned for awhile and is being used as some kind of joint UFP/Romulan research facility? It looks like both English and Romulan on that sign

Also, the bad guys that are chasing the girl at the beginning disappear with what looks like a Federation transporter effect. (I'm hoping this is just a nitpick... I really don't want any more ethically gray Federation shenanigans.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with those ships that are approaching what looks like Mars

They must be a big deal if they got past the Mars defense perimeter.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

They kind of look like Klingon Bird of Prey updates

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They kind of look like Klingon Bird of Prey updates

It is...
It is.... Hmmm

It is green.

Could be Klingons OR Romulans really

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Kibayasu posted:

They must be a big deal if they got past the Mars defense perimeter.

Rip those 3 drones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m almost certain it’ll be Crusher and/or Geordi on some mission gone wrong and that’s why he left Starfleet. Maybe he even loses the Enterprise in the process.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are three confirmed Romulan members of the 'main' cast, so we're definitely going to be dealing with the destruction of Romulus/maybe the fall of the Romulan Empire?

Maybe some Tal Shiar people get a hold of that derelict Borg cube to use it as a weapon against the Federation or something

That's literally one of the storylines in Star Trek Online

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh poo poo they're doing a prequel too!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Did they rescue tom riker

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pyrotek posted:

You aren't excited to see Picard hide River Tam from the Borg on the Serenity?

glad I'm not the only one

davidspackage posted:

It's weird as hell how you can see there's old man bags under his eyes that they just blurred out. But if it is just for one scene, I don't mind so much, I'll be too busy crying.

Also :lol: at the eagle screech at the very start of the trailer. It's a loving vineyard, not the Grand Canyon.

maybe it was a jump cut from his having scaled El Cap alone, while brooding?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

pyrotek posted:

You aren't excited to see Picard hide River Tam from the Borg on the Serenity?

I thought that plot device seemed familiar from somewhere else besides "Logan."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Also :lol: at the eagle screech at the very start of the trailer. It's a loving vineyard, not the Grand Canyon.

Climate change probably hosed a few things up

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

And for must see Seven episodes see Infinite Regress. It is stunning how Ryan is able to capture several distinct characters with changes in voice and posture. Wonderful acting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That trailer was awesome even if the show ends up being total poo poo because it was worth it seeing the Picard Day banner from TNG again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That looks as non-poo poo as you could expect something following up on Nemesis to look I guess. Not thrilled that it's yet another chosen one plot.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

And for must see Seven episodes see Infinite Regress. It is stunning how Ryan is able to capture several distinct characters with changes in voice and posture. Wonderful acting.

I can't remember the name of it, but I recently caught this one about Seven flashing back to a time when she and a small group of drones were disconnected from the hive after a shuttle crash. Had some good creepy scenes where they start to slow regain their identities and she's trying to keep the little hive together. One of the better Voyager Borg outings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

AndyElusive posted:

That trailer was awesome even if the show ends up being total poo poo because it was worth it seeing the Picard Day banner from TNG again.

So after making a big show of being exasperated by Captain Picard Day he must have carefully rolled the banner up and stored it somewhere as soon as no one was looking.