Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

I am now going to be a Bond villain.

Good luck. You probably won't find it very profitable, though. We spent like $25M last year drilling into Brothers Volcano in the Kermadec Arc off New Zealand and all we walked away with was a few hundred meters of core samples and a shipload of wrecked drilling equipment.

e: I don't know if that was USD or NZD. I just know it was way more expensive than our usual expeditions, owing to all the poo poo we broke trying to fight a volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Profits? No *chuckles* I expect death!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Profits? No *chuckles* I expect death!

We did manage to kill a poor ghost shark with what we assume to have been a hydrogen sulfide release. But that was about it. Maybe a few hundred shrimp.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

We just received official instructions on how to protect our clients from this weekend's mass deportation attempt. Sadly, "shoot them all ICE agents and their lick-spittle minions in the face and dump the bodies in the bay" isn't on the list.

Edit: Phrasing!

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 12, 2019

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

xcheopis posted:

We just received official instructions on how to protect our clients from this weekend's mass deportation attempt. Sadly, "shoot them in the face and dump the bodies in the bay" isn't on the list.

That'd be a very bad way to protect your clients, tbqh.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Sundae posted:

That'd be a very bad way to protect your clients, tbqh.

Lol

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Hi, here's way more info than you thought you were asking for:

Generally the volcanoes we have in California are stratovolcanoes*, with magma chambers loaded with highly silicic magma which means it has high viscosity. This kind of magma doesn't pour out of the ground as a lovely fluid the way shield volcanoes do, such as those in Hawaii.

All magma has water and gasses dissolved in the melt. Some magmas have more and some have less, but it's always there. Boyle's law tells us that the point at which a liquid becomes a gas is related to the pressure it's under, and that's certainly true of water. So, a magma chamber under a volcano, being under loads of pressure, keeps all its water as liquid (mixed in with the magma). But when the volcano starts to erupt, pressure is released by the eruption: and as pressure releases, the water turns to steam. When water turns into steam, it expands. There's other stuff in magma too, like sulfur dioxide, which behaves the same way.

When Mt. Saint Helens erupted, what actually happened was a huge landslide occurred on the top and side of the mountain.
http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/blog/theres-nothing-positive-about-the-2-0l-skyactiv-pcv-system/

This enormous burden of rock sliding off instantly dropped the pressure on the magma chamber beneath, and a huge volume of water promptly decided it was time to be steam now.

As the eruption got started, the magma escaping the chamber dropped pressure on the magma still in the chamber, etc. in a chain reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK--hvgP2uY&t=76s

So in conclusion: doing anything to significantly relieve the pressure in the magma chamber of a stratovolcano might not be a super great idea.

This will always be one of the most terrifying and awesome things to watch.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

We did manage to kill a poor ghost shark with what we assume to have been a hydrogen sulfide release. But that was about it. Maybe a few hundred shrimp.

What if I use shaped nuclear charges?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I reported the canadian fucker next door to me so hopefully his rear end gets deported back to whereversville canada where be belongs :911:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/18/california-2020-countdown-elizabeth-warrena-tech-donations-kamala-harris-polling-bounce/

Kamala Harris moves to first place in California poll, Warren and Buttigieg getting all the tech money (and Sanders too but apparently this article follows the general media rule about downplaying Bernie)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They've been trending more to the left since Trump took office, but Mercury News has traditionally been pretty center right-ish so I'm not surprised they're not keen to play up Bernie.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sydin posted:

They've been trending more to the left since Trump took office, but Mercury News has traditionally been pretty center right-ish so I'm not surprised they're not keen to play up Bernie.
SJMN is pretty much the official voice of big money Silicon Valley, so yeah.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
My coworker calls them the Murky News, which I like.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Mercury News is straight trash.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I signed up for mercury news to get a free giants sweater
The sweater lasted a lot longer than my subscription

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

chesa boudin, candidate for SF District Attorney, just opened his speech at this party with "so, the thing I'm most excited to do when i become DA is to prosecute ICE agents"

:drat:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

chesa boudin, candidate for SF District Attorney, just opened his speech at this party with "so, the thing I'm most excited to do when i become DA is to prosecute ICE agents"

They've got my vote.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Burning_Monk posted:

Mercury News is straight trash.

What's y'all's choice for a good local paper in the Bay?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

National inquirer in the safeway checkout line usually gets me going

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Doc Hawkins posted:

cheers, I'll drink to that

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

lmao good luck with that

The U.S. Constituion, Article VI, Clause 2 posted:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
Like, which SFPD cops does he think have sufficiently little regard for their own lives and freedom that they're willing to try to arrest federal agents carrying out their duties? E: I guess this is the left-wing version of being one of those Oathkeeper nutters.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 20, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The East Bay Times does excellent investigative reporting, but it may or may not be local to you. They also won a Pulitzer for coverage of the Ghost Ship fire. https://www.pulitzer.org/winners/staff-27

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

lmao good luck with that

Like, which SFPD cops does he think have sufficiently little regard for their own lives and freedom that they're willing to try to arrest federal agents carrying out their duties? E: I guess this is the left-wing version of being one of those Oathkeeper nutters.

You could also claim that some currently-unprosecuted murderers committed their crimes in the course of carrying out their duties, and wouldn't you know it, he plans to go after them too.

e: dang i didn't even need to google

LordSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/dannylucia4/status/1152286750804533254?s=21

that’s not a typo. or a mistake. Let me repeat that. A border patrol agent or officer is arrested every 36 hours.

stay safe, surprisingly numerous cops with sufficiently little regard for their own lives and freedom

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 20, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should deport ICE agents back to arizona

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the rest of the country is not sending its best, bad hombres, etc etc

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Doc Hawkins posted:

the rest of the country is not sending its best, bad hombres, etc etc

deplorables?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

You could also claim that some currently-unprosecuted murderers committed their crimes in the course of carrying out their duties, and wouldn't you know it, he plans to go after them too.

e: dang i didn't even need to google

stay safe, surprisingly numerous cops with sufficiently little regard for their own lives and freedom
That isn't even remotely the same. I looked at his campaign website, and what he wants to prosecute ICE agents for is conduct that pretty indisputably falls under the scope of their official duties. Because of the supremacy clause, the SF District Attorney doesn't have any jurisdiction to investigate that conduct. If he believes a crime has occurred, he would need to refer the matter to federal prosecutors and the relevant agency's Office of the Inspector General, and I don't think they share his belief that rigorous enforcement of immigration law constitutes a federal crime. Like, let's put aside the impossibility of SFPD actually arresting ICE agents for official acts, how would he even propose conducting such an investigation in the first place? Does he think ICE agents will sit for an interview with his investigators? Does he think that a judge will sign a search warrant for the immigration office on Sansome?

Also, CBP has like 20,000 uniformed agents, so 243 of them being arrested per year for all offenses isn't exactly staggering. It's not great, it's definitely more than some other federal law enforcement agencies, but I'd be curious how it compares to, say, the LA County Sheriff's Office, or the SFPD itself.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't understand the hair you're attempting to split. It is possible to break state laws in the intended service of some federal mission. Immigration agents do that, and are sometimes been arrested for it, and sometimes not. Why are you trying to defend an inconsistency in the application of the law?

I am not a lawyer, but of course Chesa is, and as someone running a city-level grassroots political campaign, he's very easy to run into and ask questions of. It all seems like putting the cart before the horse to me, but you're welcome to ask him for details.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you even read the article where they mentioned one of the ICE agents going to court was a loving SERIAL KILLER????

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't understand the hair you're attempting to split. It is possible to break state laws in the intended service of some federal mission. Immigration agents do that, and are sometimes been arrested for it, and sometimes not. Why are you trying to defend an inconsistency in the application of the law?

I am not a lawyer, but of course Chesa is, and as someone running a city-level grassroots political campaign, he's very easy to run into and ask questions of. It all seems like putting the cart before the horse to me, but you're welcome to ask him for details.

your mistake is thinking dead reckoning is a person and not a bad faith golem

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

The article you quoted was about ICE agents being arrested for off duty misconduct like DUIs or domestic violence. The DA candidate y'all were getting excited about says on his campaign website that he wants to prosecute ICE agents for on-duty activities related to immigration enforcement. That is not permitted under the constitution; we had a whole Civil War about it.

Federal officers typically follow local laws as a courtesy, but they absolutely are not required to. I am not aware of any case where a federal agent has been successfully prosecuted by local authorities for violating state (but not federal) laws. The city of Berkeley declared itself a nuclear weapon free zone, but if the United States Air Force decided to parade a Minuteman missile down Shattuck Ave, there would be exactly gently caress-all that Berkeley could do about it, and it would have no recourse against the officers who carried out the orders.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

atelier morgan posted:

your mistake is thinking dead reckoning is a person and not a bad faith golem

someone please rebuy him his avatar so we can stop accidentally responding to him without realizing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

The article you quoted was about ICE agents being arrested for off duty misconduct like DUIs or domestic violence. The DA candidate y'all were getting excited about says on his campaign website that he wants to prosecute ICE agents for on-duty activities related to immigration enforcement. That is not permitted under the constitution; we had a whole Civil War about it.

Federal officers typically follow local laws as a courtesy, but they absolutely are not required to. I am not aware of any case where a federal agent has been successfully prosecuted by local authorities for violating state (but not federal) laws. The city of Berkeley declared itself a nuclear weapon free zone, but if the United States Air Force decided to parade a Minuteman missile down Shattuck Ave, there would be exactly gently caress-all that Berkeley could do about it, and it would have no recourse against the officers who carried out the orders.

It's a cute theory, but unless you have an actual position of authority you haven't told us about, what does what you think matter?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's a cute theory, but unless you have an actual position of authority you haven't told us about, what does what you think matter?
LMAO that the "authority" in your appeal to authority is a candidate for county DA. Tell you what, can you find me a single example of a federal official being prosecuted by a state for actions in the scope of their duties? Like, do you really think Alabama and Texas wouldn't be out there arresting feds for breaking their laws if they could? This isn't some cute theory, federal supremacy is a throughly established concept in American law. You're literally the left wing version of those nutbars who think that they can have the county sheriff arrest federal agents for collecting taxes or preventing said nutbars from diverting streams.

Also, I'm amused that throwing cold water on the idea of San Francisco holding a petite Nuremberg for federal immigration officials is now alleged to be under the ever-expanding umbrella of "bad faith posting."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, I'm amused that throwing cold water on the idea of San Francisco holding a petite Nuremberg for federal immigration officials is now alleged to be under the ever-expanding umbrella of "bad faith posting."

everything you post here is purely to be a shithead devil's advocate, so it is all bad faith posting regardless of content. bad faith is intent.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
please go post in and get run out of the scotus thread for the eleventeenth time and leave us in peace

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yo just ignore him. Y'all keep posting here and making me think it's actually something instead of just some dickhead baiting people.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

everything you post here is purely to be a shithead devil's advocate, so it is all bad faith posting regardless of content. bad faith is intent.
What gives you the idea that I don't believe the things I say? And I'm not even trying to persuade you to come around to my point of view here, I'm just telling you a fact: being mad that states can't arrest federal officials for activities in the scope of their duties is like getting mad that the constitution prevents Donald Trump Jr. from being charged with treason.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 21, 2019

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqk-CLxrW6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They're called Dead Reckoning because their posts are where reckoning goes to die.

(Seriously, don't engage with Dead Reckoning.)