Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lum_ posted:

If you're looking for new ways to break your game, I've updated my curated mod collection to 2.3.3 now that development seems to have settled down.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1807911406

The UI list really needs Tiny Outliner v2, it's the most important one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

The UI list really needs Tiny Outliner v2, it's the most important one.

yeah, I've got it in the testing list since I haven't had a chance to test it with the new replacement for UI 1080p

Savy Saracen salad posted:

99% of this is fine, but I cannot believe you are actually recommending any Guilli mod in your list. Guili modifiers removes any semblance of challenge and the game becomes a piece of cake, he stuffs the galaxy with overabundance of resources that by year 2 or 3 you could have 40+ or such in energy and minerals, he also adds unity as a gathered resource to asteroids along with 20 energy or something as ridiculous.

I've found that in resource poor games the AI chokes and dies which removes ALL challenge from the game. (It's also why I have Stellar Abundance as an optional recommendation.)

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

99% of this is fine, but I cannot believe you are actually recommending any Guilli mod in your list. Guili modifiers removes any semblance of challenge and the game becomes a piece of cake, he stuffs the galaxy with overabundance of resources that by year 2 or 3 you could have 40+ or such in energy and minerals, he also adds unity as a gathered resource to asteroids along with 20 energy or something as ridiculous.

The unity stuff out scales so fast it's virtually a non-issue.

As for resources. The galaxy has about 10% more energy and minerals in total compared to vanilla. I even run a script to delete minerals and energy deposits at game start randomly across the galaxy.

I find reports like this weird. I never see asteroids with energy, let alone 20! (with the exception of the +3min+3energy asteroid) I rarely see these super dense mineral systems that people report, And even then we're talking about a 20 mineral system in total.

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 20, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So I'm going to try a "tall" empire. Do I just stop expanding after a certain amount of colonies and focus on hoarding resources or something?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CainsDescendant posted:

I use the mods "perfect start" and something like "select ruler traits". It gives you three genius scientists and lets you pick traits and agenda for your starting ruler and governor. It also gives you edicts to hire surveyors, generals, and admirals with specific traits. Probably op as hell but I'm not really a fan of the random leader/trait system as is. I can shoot you links after work if you're interested

Amazing. Thank you. Just need to force the cybrex now. Goodbye, cheevos.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lol source your quotes bro

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Guilli's mods are really good. Pretty much mandatory.

Edit: Lol, that guys only posts in this thread are making GBS threads on things.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

So I'm going to try a "tall" empire. Do I just stop expanding after a certain amount of colonies and focus on hoarding resources or something?

You play tall by keeping the penalties from overrunning the Admin cap as low as practicable, which keeps tech cost down. Tech up as fast as possible, rely on allies to protect you from DoWs, then expand once you've built an edge over the galaxy.

You still need pop growth, so robots are good, as is Nihilistic Acquisition if you can pounce on a neighbor.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm not too experienced at this game but I've been enjoying it.

I installed the giga structures mod and I'm having a great time with my psionic humans.

However, I ran into a snag when I built a ringworld in the L-Cluster. I built the ringworld in a system with nanites (I got the Gray event). All of my ringworld pieces came with a weird blocker that gives me -100 to each district that I can't remove.

What is this?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
No idea. You seem to have the full normal set of ringworld districts, though, so it isn't impeding you in any way. Maybe you'll research something that'll let you remove it?

My guess is that it's just some kind of hack* the Gigastructural Engineering developer(s) put in because it solves some other problem they were having.

*This is not intended as a derogatory term. The only difference here is that, not having full access to the code, they can't hide their hacks the way a professional can.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that's some hack the mod put in there. 5 is the right number of districts for a Ring World section.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilliman posted:

The unity stuff out scales so fast it's virtually a non-issue.

As for resources. The galaxy has about 10% more energy and minerals in total compared to vanilla. I even run a script to delete minerals and energy deposits at game start randomly across the galaxy.

I find reports like this weird. I never see asteroids with energy, let alone 20! (with the exception of the +3min+3energy asteroid) I rarely see these super dense mineral systems that people report, And even then we're talking about a 20 mineral system in total.

The tendency of asteroids to have modifiers I think does tend to make those systems that are just piles of asteroid belts, generally very valuable. I have noticed I get a lot more resources out of asteroids generally using GPM, but I don't find it much of a problem, it just means that asteroid belts are usually indicative of some decent mineral deposts, which is hardly a bad thing.

Yeah it usually rounds out to like 20 minerals or so in a mulit belt system, which is just "this is a quite good system" and that's fine?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah after gpm vanilla systems just feel so barren. More numbers are better numbers, even if it doesn't work out to a meaningful difference in the long run. It feels like half my systems in vanilla games only have 2 energy or research.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah after gpm vanilla systems just feel so barren. More numbers are better numbers, even if it doesn't work out to a meaningful difference in the long run. It feels like half my systems in vanilla games only have 2 energy or research.
I made a personal mod because I have bad luck and always start the game surrounded by 2 mineral systems. It just increases the chances of things spawning by like 25% and I find it to be awesome. I also feel like the AI plays a but better with more resources it gets without needing pops to get them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Some stars you are able to collect (presumably) solar power from. Some you cannot.

Why?

Our top scientists are still trying to figure this out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I've always figured that as similar to the gas giants which can be mined for energy; the star emits a gas of some type which can be used as an energy source, and is easily and practically gathered.

Might be neat to have the energy value of stars and gas giants scale up with shielding and/ot engine technology.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Some stars you are able to collect (presumably) solar power from. Some you cannot.

Why?

You could conceivably mod it so Stars always spawn something (I think they already do) and add options that are both energy and physics research, which I think should work based on there being the old 1e/1m deposits and apparently Guilli having hybrid deposits in his mod.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why?

Because it's night in some systems.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Help, how do I get out of my funk of restarting games until I get a + anomaly scientist as my starter to mAxiMizE GaInsS

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leal posted:

Help, how do I get out of my funk of restarting games until I get a + anomaly scientist as my starter to mAxiMizE GaInsS
Always take Map the Stars just before you start your first scan so the +10% would have been proportionally smaller.
Buy more scientists at the beginning so you's only be getting the +10% on 1/3 of your exploring anyway.

+XP, +anomaly research speed, +scanner speed, +archaeology speed, and the one that makes them cheap so you can get them out of the gate faster are all very competitive options.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Leal posted:

[url=https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1621881802]Empire University[/quote] + console for the energy to hire a new scientists right off the bat.

Also great if you've banked some energy before your initial leader die-off.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Can a devouring swarm hive mind turn the First League homeworld into the megacity?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sorta

You get to build hive districts and foundry districts

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Potato Salad posted:

sorta

What are the prerequisites to doing that? I don't see the option in the decisions list.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Deuce posted:

What are the prerequisites to doing that? I don't see the option in the decisions list.
I think you'll need the technology Anti-Gravity Engineering.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

sorta

I mean why would you ever want to build anything else??

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Complications posted:

I think you'll need the technology Anti-Gravity Engineering.

Have that one. Have drat near everything at this point!

Edit: Wasn't there supposed to be some "ruined ecumenopolis" feature in the planetary feature list?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Started a determined exterminator game and my immediate neighbors are driven assimilators. Sounds like the start to a wacky sitcom. They are cool being robots with me but have Thoughts about how I handle organics.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Deuce posted:

Have that one. Have drat near everything at this point!

Edit: Wasn't there supposed to be some "ruined ecumenopolis" feature in the planetary feature list?

The decision does not show up for gestalt empires.

potential = {
is_planet_class = pc_relic
habitable_structure = no
exists = owner
owner = { is_regular_empire = yes }
}

"is_regular_empire" prevents gestalt empires from taking the decision.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Ugh.

Just had a game over when the Unbidden popped two jumps from my home world, and production center. I'm playing on .25% planets, so not a lot of options to build back up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm making a Cool Thing and while digging around I think I've worked out why the AI loving loves building empty habitats. So there's an alloy budget for Megastructures, where if they're not at war and they know how to build them the AI will start saving up alloys for a megastructure. There's also an influence budget for megastructures, same logic. It doesn't distinguish between megastructures AFAICT, that's handled by the AI weighting, and everything else being equal all megastructures have weighting 10.

Completely unrelated to this are the budgets for the various colony ship ingredients, which only kick in if there's plans to go colonising something (derived from some black box I can't find) and if they already have a fuckton of spare food (assuming hivemind or regular empire).

So, if I'm reading this right, it goes:

1) Hmm. Not at war. I should save up for a megastructure.
2) <time passes>
3) Oh hey I have enough for a megastructure! Specifically a habitat but that's just details A BUILDING I WILL GO <- incidentally I have no idea how it chooses where to build a habitat
4) <time passes>
5) Oh hey there's a habitat in my territory! But either the black box didn't generate a colony plan for the habitat, or I don't have enough food or consumer goods to build a colony ship, or there's not enough food to even start saving up consumer goods and food for a colony ship, either way I'm going to put colonising this complete impulse purchase on the long finger for now.
6) Hmm. Not at war. I should save up for a megastructure.

Would probably make sense to have habitats not be in the same building stuff category as other megastructures.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 21, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Splicer posted:

Completely unrelated to this are the budgets for the various colony ship ingredients, which only kick in if there's plans to go colonising something (derived from some black box I can't find) and if they already have a fuckton of spare food (assuming hivemind or regular empire).

In contrast, my current colonization algorithm:

1. Are there planets with green habitability?
2. Colonize them now.
3. Are there planets with yellow habitability?
4. Go hmmm for decades.

(Cool research, by the way. I look forward to whatever your Cool Thing is.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GOD gently caress the Zroni requirements for planets to spawn the site suck :argh:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Surrendering may kill your leader! I had no idea.

I needed a route to prethoryn territory so I declared war then surrendered on my obstruction.

At the treaty signing, they assassinated my immortal god-emperor.

(A Colossus is building as we speak.)

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 21, 2019

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I bought MegaCorps and haven't played in like 4-6 months. What are some cool/best mods to go look for in the workshop to make the game/systems more varied?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Canopus250 posted:

So I bought MegaCorps and haven't played in like 4-6 months. What are some cool/best mods to go look for in the workshop to make the game/systems more varied?

If the thought of being a cartel mega corp interests you, you're gonna want to get a mod that makes enforcers not so silly powerful in reducing crime.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

Surrendering may kill your leader! I had no idea.

I needed a route to prethoryn territory so I declared war then surrendered on my obstruction.

At the treaty signing, they assassinated my immortal god-emperor.

(A Colossus is building as we speak.)

Was it a fallen empire? They always do that. Often the difference between surrender and status quo is just that your leader gets to live.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Started a determined exterminator game and my immediate neighbors are driven assimilators. Sounds like the start to a wacky sitcom. They are cool being robots with me but have Thoughts about how I handle organics.

They don't like it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Leal posted:

They don't like it.

+1 yearly indicates they're warming up to the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

They don't like it.

Need to get rogue servitors as your other neighbor for the true wacky sitcom experience.