Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Good flash cards probably work better than counterfeits too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know if I can play Pokèmon games today with a fast-forward button to both grind and just get through the battles quicker.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You really don't need to grind. If you feel the need to grind in a modern pokemon game you're either doing something very wrong, or trying to raise 30+ mons from scratch throughout a single playthrough. This is exactly why they introduced the buffed EXP share on the 3DS.

Postgame, trying to raise up mons or catch the perfect specimen is another thing entirely but there's no point doing that in an emulated game that you can't transfer or trade the mons out of in the first place so that point is completely moot

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amppelix posted:

You really don't need to grind. If you feel the need to grind in a modern pokemon game you're either doing something very wrong, or trying to raise 30+ mons from scratch throughout a single playthrough. This is exactly why they introduced the buffed EXP share on the 3DS.

Postgame, trying to raise up mons or catch the perfect specimen is another thing entirely but there's no point doing that in an emulated game that you can't transfer or trade the mons out of in the first place so that point is completely moot

Oh I know. The game being what it is I tend to use a rng to choose my teams meaning a bit of a grind for an evolution at times. Nevertheless all RPGs should allow you to fast forward through fights these days.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Where do people buy flash carts? I bought Crystal on the eshop because it was easy but I’m curious for future purchases because a lot of DS stuff is surprisingly expensive

Ed: are eshop games not emulated? I’m pretty sure they can trade online with other older generation games

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Frog Act posted:

Where do people buy flash carts? I bought Crystal on the eshop because it was easy but I’m curious for future purchases because a lot of DS stuff is surprisingly expensive

Ed: are eshop games not emulated? I’m pretty sure they can trade online with other older generation games

Lots of reasons.

The game they want might not be available through official channels and/or very expensive second hand.

People want to use extra features available on a flashcart, such as cheat codes, but still want to play the game on the original hardware.

They want to have multiple games with them. Less of an issue for the 3DS, but downloading options were very limited on the DS.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Frog Act posted:

They made it so you can trade on the 3DS Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal but iirc you can only do it locally

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Lots of reasons.

The game they want might not be available through official channels and/or very expensive second hand.

People want to use extra features available on a flashcart, such as cheat codes, but still want to play the game on the original hardware.

They want to have multiple games with them. Less of an issue for the 3DS, but downloading options were very limited on the DS.

Where, not why, it’s pretty obvious why, I’d like to get it on it

You don’t need to hack your DS to get it to run flash carts right? They’re just blank carts with games on em you stick in the slot?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-gold-3ds-plus.html

Yup, plug n play.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So with something like that do you basically plug it into a PC with a microsd card reader and load it with pseudo-ROM versions of games made for the DS, presumably acquired in a :filez: kinda way

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nah you just load a microSD card with Linux distributions, put it into the top of that thing, and put it into your DS.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Amppelix posted:

You can entirely trade pokemon off an emulated save... locally, if you have a compatible flash cart and a copy of a real game that's the same generation.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Frog Act posted:

Where, not why, it’s pretty obvious why, I’d like to get it on it

You don’t need to hack your DS to get it to run flash carts right? They’re just blank carts with games on em you stick in the slot?

Bah, I read gud. :doh: I should really stop posting first thing in the morning.

I have a Supercard DSTwo but and I bought it directly from the manufacturer, but I think they might be discontinued now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wark Say posted:

Not nearly the weirdest thing about Xenosaga, tbh.

*insert scene of Albedo blowing his own head off with a gun*

Shadow225 posted:

i never understood if there was a relationship between xenogears, xenosaga, and xenoblade

They all have thematic similarities. I believe that the original idea of Xenosaga was that it was a prequel to Xenogears and basically explained where all the space tech & the Zohar in Xenogears came from.

Xenoblade has very similar themes to the other games (with a Zohar cameo). Xenoblade Chronicles X is very, very similar to Xenosaga in design and plot. But none of them are directly related to Xenogears/saga

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Frog Act posted:

So with something like that do you basically plug it into a PC with a microsd card reader and load it with pseudo-ROM versions of games made for the DS, presumably acquired in a :filez: kinda way

You put the MicroSD into the computer and load up the most recent kernel/firmware if you need to.

Then you fill it up with :filez: and then you're good to go.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Buy the DS games imo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You Just Don't Mess with the Zohar

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow225 posted:

i never understood if there was a relationship between xenogears, xenosaga, and xenoblade

They're as related as the Final Fantasies; Similar themes, some recurring character archetypes and fantasy races, but nothing direct.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saga is totally a numbers filed off prequel to Gears, the story is just changed enough that Square wouldn't sue them, but it lines up conspicuously well with the previous episodes laid out in Xenogears Perfect Works (Xenogears itself ends with the final title card declaring that it was episode five of six). Blade isn't really related other than referentially

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

cheers mates

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
A few weeks ago someone mentioned buying an N3DS XL battery on Amazon. Is there a particular seller that's trusted? There seems to be only one listed as "new" right now in the Marketplace sellers and Nintendo doesn't seem to be planning a restock for the official store.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

iirc takahashi was going to name Xenoblade Monado something-or-other until Nintendo was like naw that can just be your brand, call it xeno something

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What's the best Fire Emblem game to try if they only one I've played is The Shining Stones back on the GBA?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

OhFunny posted:

What's the best Fire Emblem game to try if they only one I've played is The Shining Stones back on the GBA?

If you like making them date then I guess Awakenings, though I really disliked that game since I found the actual gameplay very poor.

Maybe the remake Echoes? I imagine it has less dating stuff actually.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

On the 3DS, awakening or echoes definitely. You can look up the details on those and see which one strikes your fancy more. If you have a switch though, Three Houses is coming out Friday.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fates is way better than Awakening

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Help Im Alive posted:

Fates is way better than Awakening

Not really. Birthright has a bland story but Conquest and Revelation are straight up tire fires. Like there are entire scenes in Conquest and Revelation that don't even feel like they went through a basic editing pass for coherency.

Also mechanically they have a lot of flaws just in a different way than Awakening does. Fates has way too many fiddly bits between skill buff/debuffs, weapon buff/debuffs, stave buff/debuffs and everything to do with Hidden Weapons. It makes playing them a slog and a half, especially since so many late game maps devolve into spamming Ninjas at you.

I had way more fun with Awakening overall.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 21, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fire Emblem Warriors :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Quit loving around and get Langrisser instead

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors :v:

To be fair, I found it used for 12 euro and ALMOST picked it up even if I have no need for it (already own Hyrule Warriors on my 3DS), and there's only 1 character in the game I genuinely like, Lyn.

If you're a particularly big fan of the content present is it necessarily a worthwhile game?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No just play hyrule warriors instead, that's a much better fanservice game

if you already have, well play more of it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Quit loving around and get Langrisser instead

Not the 3DS one though lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In my incredibly biased opinion and including N3DS, 3DS and DS Fire Emblem games:
  • Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Pretty good remake of a game that turned 27 this year. As it's been said in the now archived thread for it, it's not a perfect game by any stretch of the word (maps are kinda meh, post-game chapter is a slog, the Merc > Myrmidon > Dread Fighter > Villager loop will make some characters to be broken as hell, kinda wish that some characters would've gotten 1 or 2 more supports), but what is there to engage will keep you entertained for a while. The fact that the game is almost fully voice-acted and that the story beats, the supports and base conversations do help in give the setting and a good chunk of the characters some personality is pretty fun. Gotta love my cat-loving dork lords.
  • Awakening: Yes, it has a lot of flaws and yes, the story is basically the equivalent of a band that stopped playing midway through the recording of the last song because they couldn't be arsed to finish it. Is it still fun? In small doses, yes it is, even with the two-dimensional characters (some are still fun in spite of that!). While it's incredibly easy to break the game in half even without DLC, marriage/kids brouhaha is at least easily explained, and the game is fun. Just... pace yourself.
  • New Mystery of the Emblem: A remake of a 25 year old game. Introduced a playable avatar character. Much better game than Shadow Dragon. Unfortunately, it's also only available in Japanese (though not region-locked, so if you haven't done the 3DS hacking, go for it).
  • Fates Birthright: The less dumber of the Fates Trilogy Duology. Not as fun to play, but again its story, while still dumb, is nowhere near as dumb as Conquest. Is sorta like Awakening's doofus younger brother, if I had to describe it in an arbitrary way?
  • Project x Zone 2: Chrom, Lucina and adult Tiki appear in this Super Robot Wars spin-off which includes characters from Street Fighter, Yakuza, Sakura Wars, Shin Megami Tensei :v:, Tekken and like 15 other games/franchises. Fire Emblem gets stolen, Chrom and Lucina need to get it back. Hijinks ensue. Technically a blatant disregard of how stuff actually happens in Awakening but stop thinking about it. An improvement upon the original Project x Zone and just an overall better game.
  • Warriors: The "Musou/Dynasty Warrios type" game. Story is forgettable and the two main lords are equally so. Fun in that "plow through enemies ruthlessly" sort of way. Character roster was dumb as heck and if there's a sequel (which seems unlikely, but apparently hasn't been denied), they need to trim down the Awakening and Fates casts to like a third of what they were here (10 and 13 characters each).
  • Shadow Dragon: 11 year old remake of a game that turns 30 next year. While it does include a number of updates, it's still kind of a janky, mixed bag. Story kinda still holds up, I guess?
  • Fates Conquest: The dumbest of the Fates Duology. Has some fun maps to play at quick intervals, but the story is a complete dumpster fire. With tires and skunk attacks added for good measure.
  • There's nothing to see here. Certainly no mention of the third path of Fates. Shush, you! :ssh:
e: forgot one little parenthesis.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 21, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched a 2.5 hour documentary a few days ago about the entire Fire Emblem franchise that came out after Echoes.

https://youtu.be/V3QT39JwDs8

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched a 2.5 hour documentary a few days ago about the entire Fire Emblem franchise that came out after Echoes.

https://youtu.be/V3QT39JwDs8
I think I watched that like 2 months ago.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Echoes turned into such a slog by the mid game that I had to put it down. I don't know how the other games fare, but I remember killing like 22 units on a single map due to a hard to reach summoner, and then a map or two later there was another summoner across a poison swamp. There was such blatant disrespect for my time that I dropped it after 20 some odd hours and read a plot summary.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shadow225 posted:

Echoes turned into such a slog by the mid game that I had to put it down. I don't know how the other games fare, but I remember killing like 22 units on a single map due to a hard to reach summoner, and then a map or two later there was another summoner across a poison swamp. There was such blatant disrespect for my time that I dropped it after 20 some odd hours and read a plot summary.

Echoes is uniquely bad about those specific things because its a remake of a 30 year old game that faithfully reproduced most mechanics and maps. Unsurprisingly, they improved a lot in terms of map/encounter design in subsequent entries.

Also if you stopped on the first poison swamp you missed like 5 more maps. And possibly the worst of the desert.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not the 3DS one though lol

Only the 3DS one

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The best musou on 3DS is Gotta Protectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Wark Say posted:

In my incredibly biased opinion and including N3DS, 3DS and DS Fire Emblem games:
  • Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Pretty good remake of a game that turned 27 this year. As it's been said in the now archived thread for it, it's not a perfect game by any stretch of the word (maps are kinda meh, post-game chapter is a slog, the Merc > Myrmidon > Dread Fighter > Villager loop will make some characters to be broken as hell, kinda wish that some characters would've gotten 1 or 2 more supports), but what is there to engage will keep you entertained for a while. The fact that the game is almost fully voice-acted and that the story beats, the supports and base conversations do help in give the setting and a good chunk of the characters some personality is pretty fun. Gotta love my cat-loving dork lords.
  • Awakening: Yes, it has a lot of flaws and yes, the story is basically the equivalent of a band that stopped playing midway through the recording of the last song because they couldn't be arsed to finish it. Is it still fun? In small doses, yes it is, even with the two-dimensional characters (some are still fun in spite of that!). While it's incredibly easy to break the game in half even without DLC, marriage/kids brouhaha is at least easily explained, and the game is fun. Just... pace yourself.
  • New Mystery of the Emblem: A remake of a 25 year old game. Introduced a playable avatar character. Much better game than Shadow Dragon. Unfortunately, it's also only available in Japanese (though not region-locked, so if you haven't done the 3DS hacking, go for it).
  • Fates Birthright: The less dumber of the Fates Trilogy Duology. Not as fun to play, but again its story, while still dumb, is nowhere near as dumb as Conquest. Is sorta like Awakening's doofus younger brother, if I had to describe it in an arbitrary way?
  • Project x Zone 2: Chrom, Lucina and adult Tiki appear in this Super Robot Wars spin-off which includes characters from Street Fighter, Yakuza, Sakura Wars, Shin Megami Tensei :v:, Tekken and like 15 other games/franchises. Fire Emblem gets stolen, Chrom and Lucina need to get it back. Hijinks ensue. Technically a blatant disregard of how stuff actually happens in Awakening but stop thinking about it. An improvement upon the original Project x Zone and just an overall better game.
  • Warriors: The "Musou/Dynasty Warrios type" game. Story is forgettable and the two main lords are equally so. Fun in that "plow through enemies ruthlessly" sort of way. Character roster was dumb as heck and if there's a sequel (which seems unlikely, but apparently hasn't been denied), they need to trim down the Awakening and Fates casts to like a third of what they were here (10 and 13 characters each).
  • Shadow Dragon: 11 year old remake of a game that turns 30 next year. While it does include a number of updates, it's still kind of a janky, mixed bag. Story kinda still holds up, I guess?
  • Fates Conquest: The dumbest of the Fates Duology. Has some fun maps to play at quick intervals, but the story is a complete dumpster fire. With tires and skunk attacks added for good measure.
  • There's nothing to see here. Certainly no mention of the third path of Fates. Shush, you! :ssh:
e: forgot one little parenthesis.

Thanks for the detailed post Wark!