Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/dave_colson/status/1152604232295600128

https://twitter.com/dave_colson/status/1152701343431311361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
This is good for Star Citizen

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Totally not cheating while making these elevators.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

WW2 Online was my first experience with being totally hyped for a game only to experience the most intense and crushing disappointment. It was completely, and absolutely unfun. Specifically targeted at game dads wanting to drive 20 minutes to the front in a truck. Only half the time the truck would bounce on a hill and then flip and kill everyone. Or would bounce into the atmosphere. The game is still alive I think, and I tried it a few years ago. It is still as unfun as it is ugly.

Yep I've talked about that before, so many parallels. Theory crafting out the rear end get's released and it is total rear end. Still kicking thanks to volunteers and subscription model. I can see how SC will end up the same.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Just bought Elite Dangerous with Horizon Pass for 12,49€. I hope i get my money's worth. It was a tough decision between ED and a ship in SC that costs hundreds of dollars and maybe isn't even in the game yet. I hope I made the right choice.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

"Gameplay programmer at Cloud Imperium" using Unreal Engine 4 in his personal projects?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

There seems to be a growing consensus among the remaining non-insane backers that these quarterly patches are actively making the game less fun. None of them quite seem to cross the gap between that and the final idea- that it's not less fun because it's bugged, it's less fun because the entire design is idiotic. The closer to complete it becomes, the worse it's going to be.

These are the lost. The goons that have not yet paid their precious ten bux. Light their way home that they may shitpost and entice Cymelion to come play.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Each step towards developing something solid will be shattering even more of their dreams. There's no escape that I'm afraid.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awesome Fidelity posted:

"Gameplay programmer at Cloud Imperium" using Unreal Engine 4 in his personal projects?

Turns out he knows more about games programming than an old Creative Director?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Virtual Captain posted:

lol he said "non-consensual pvp"

I've only ever heard it from B'Tak. Is this a term that exists anywhere outside of the SC sphere?

On the ED forums sometimes.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

Ahh. I remember when just OCS was going to save the game. Then it came out, and was still poo poo. Suddenly, OCS was client and server side, and you are a fool for thinking client side would do anything.

Good times

so what will be the next buzzwords until we arrive at “awesome sauce“

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

My problem with this, they have not modelled the thrusters to make the lift spin or lift cables or anything . It's almost as if it's no clip box with no physics what so ever...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DigitalPenny posted:

My problem with this, they have not modelled the thrusters to make the lift spin or lift cables or anything . It's almost as if it's no clip box with no physics what so ever...

Tier 0 gooniflaps.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
loving imagine being in a life that did that, everyone would fall over when it inexplicably does a 180 degree spin, I can't even.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bumble He posted:

so what will be the next buzzwords until we arrive at “awesome sauce“

Server Side Object Container Streaming is the current Jesus tech.

But it does nothing unless you can actually have more than one server handling the game. So whatever it is they'll call their 2-server tier 0 mesh server implementation will be the next buzzword, if they ever arrive at that point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Is this actually from SC?

Holy poo poo not only does the elevator rotate while moving (wtf) but even that, they hosed up. When the elevator comes up it also slides backwards awkwardly, so that the elevator has to make another horizontal motion to match up with the elevator shaft.

What in the gently caress.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like how it does the turn and the 30 degree slope move.

Yeah this is just making me laugh so hard

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Quavers posted:

:reddit: "Ultimately nothing matters until we get SSOCS, but I'm definitely not having as much fun now as I previously did. Again, though, it doesn't matter if the game is tons of fun or a total borefest right now, I predict everything will change once SSOCS is finished and we can start balancing everything without lag/desync/ESP/etc. biasing our opinions."

This makes no sense to me at all. SSOCS is loading server assets on demand, rather than requiring everything to be in memory, yes? So the problem it solves is that you can have more server asset volume, i.e. a bigger and/or more detailed universe. The cost is some delay when assets need to be loaded.

What positive effect that could possibly have on lag, desync, balance, or any other playability aspect of Star Citizen, I cannot imagine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome Fidelity posted:

Anybody can download Unreal Engine for free now, its easy to use for personal projects.

I totally believe that he can make more progress on his own than at the office where he's told to do stupid things instead.

Oh you mean compared to crytek? I mean yeah lmao gently caress using crytek.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvpftn_1cIg

:blastu:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hav posted:

Turns out he knows more about games programming than an old Creative Director?

I'm throwing my vote in that whatever flight model this guy makes in a week will be superior to Star Citizen as he is not suffering under croberts in his personal project.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

monkeytek posted:

I agree with Lethality when stating SC is Non-Combat focused.

SC is non-spaceship focused.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grubby Hobo posted:

This makes no sense to me at all. SSOCS is loading server assets on demand, rather than requiring everything to be in memory, yes? So the problem it solves is that you can have more server asset volume, i.e. a bigger and/or more detailed universe. The cost is some delay when assets need to be loaded.

What positive effect that could possibly have on lag, desync, balance, or any other playability aspect of Star Citizen, I cannot imagine.

Commandos believe that the servers are currently overloaded and that introduces lag, desyncs, physics issues etc.

Of course, nobody *truly* believes this or otherwise at least somebody would have asked to do testing on a server with less players/assets to see how things will work once the server load is lower (which is supposedly what will happen once ssocs is online).

It is just another disingenuous argument used to protect the project.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

3.50 mins in where he realises the whole world zooms in, not just what is in the sights is great

Videogames have had this figured out for years. Years! H3VR does it already in Virtual Reality!

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

trucutru posted:

Commandos believe that the servers are currently overloaded and that introduces lag, desyncs, physics issues etc.

Of course, nobody *truly* believes this or otherwise at least somebody would have asked to do testing on a server with less players/assets to see how things will work once the server load is lower (which is supposedly what will happen once ssocs is online).

That's not completely implausible, but for it to be true, there would have to be something really bad going on in the engine.

You can be overloaded in memory (so you swap/thrash), in network I/O, or in CPU, ignoring other I/O bottlenecks that should not apply.

- If the servers were thrashing, behavior would be much, much worse than it is, given the orders-of-magnitude gaps between even the fastest SSD and memory

- It shouldn't be network I/O, because the client already has OCS, so server side OCS should not touch this.

So that leaves CPU, which means either that the server assets that no one is interacting with are themselves unnecessarily consuming CPU (for what?), or that the engine physics is constantly taking into account a bunch of assets that cannot possibly interact with anyone.

So if the last one is the case, the commandos would be right, but that would mean that the engine is seriously unable to handle large universes, and any fix would be way, way more complex than the mere on-demand asset loading implied by the SSOCS naming.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I've noticed that 'grim hex', the pirate base, seems to only have a handful of landing pads... How the hell is that supposed to scale up? There's not that many solar systems in the full game... Even the big ports seem to only have so much capacity. Even without active griefing you could gently caress things up just by standing at the terminal and summoning your ship constantly with not that many people.

trucutru posted:

i'm pretty sure the servers do get overloaded from the streams i previously watched. Full servers (50 whole players) seemed to have a lot more issues with game systems choking and dying. The commandos want "SSOCS" to mean server meshing but I havent noticed anyone actually say those are the same thing. What will happen with SSOCS is that the server caps will go up X number of players and then they'll have the same issues, and also the thing will still choke with too many players in the same area.

assuming star citizen doesnt run out of money, reasonably sure they will do "SSOCS" and then do instancing as a 'tier zero' version of server meshing. Then call it a day.

Grubby Hobo posted:

So that leaves CPU, which means either that the server assets that no one is interacting with are themselves unnecessarily consuming CPU (for what?), or that the engine physics is constantly taking into account a bunch of assets that cannot possibly interact with anyone.

So if the last one is the case, the commandos would be right, but that would mean that the engine is seriously unable to handle large universes, and any fix would be way, way more complex than the mere on-demand asset loading implied by the SSOCS naming.

It's the CPU choking. You can see the AI dying on the full servers. I'm not even sure about the not interacting with anyone part, just that the # of assets increases as time goes on from people launching missions and spawning ships and crap (ships having a poo poo tons of entities each) and then everything just catches on fire. Dunno why they just didnt keep the server cap lower though in that case.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 21, 2019

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!
Your lack of faith in Chris really disturbs us German Schitizens.

According to GameStar we can rely on a solid release date for the greatest space sim ever made:

Salty losers abusing https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen,3227.html will argue that it always has been
> <?php echo date("Y") + 2; ?>

but that is just heresy.

I will be the Death Korps of Krieg Heavy Bolter team getting your sorry poo poo device back on track.

h3isenbug fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 21, 2019

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"Development didn't really start until <current year - 2>" and "The game will finally start shaping up in <current year + 2>" are my favorite Star Citizenisms. They just keep on gettin' funnier as the years go by

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

I too have been experimenting with a flight model in Unreal

https://streamable.com/jbk7a

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 21, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grubby Hobo posted:

or that the engine physics is constantly taking into account a bunch of assets that cannot possibly interact with anyone.

Its definitely this one, and you're right they're def CPU bottlenecked, not disk or network.

But its a fundamental flaw in the entire engine, this "fix" wont' do it, they need to rewrite the whole thing from the ground up and they never will.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

fidelity

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Not explaining mechanics is the best way to test those mechanics during the alpha testing phase.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

IcarusUpHigh posted:

After having watched Colson's and then seeing this, it's clear which one of you deserves to be employed to make flight models.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Amazing

E: where do I pledge

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
New Star Citizen inspired sci-fi tv series - The Expense.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So I saw this video today, and there was something about it that had a nagging familiarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN-Hv3pnVz0

Now where could I have heard this story before? :shepface:

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

fidelity

This reply got more upvotes than the CIG dev

Second most upvoted reply "Deleted by Nightrider-CIG" with bonus Lethality assessment

And third most upvoted reply, another miffed citizen

Awesome Fidelity fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 21, 2019

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Awesome Fidelity posted:

Second most upvoted reply "Deleted by Nightrider-CIG" with bonus Lethality assessment

Star Citizen: Stop with this loving bullshit already

Star Citizen: I think you need to step off

:munch:

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Awesome Fidelity posted:

Heee Heee........"during this early development"

It's still early years bois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen: Stop with this loving bullshit already

Star Citizen: I think you need to step off

:munch:

Star Citizen: It's as good as it's going to get for a long time