Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
For quite some time I've enjoyed playing AC games as if it's Batman Arkham game or even Deus Ex game. Run around the fortress and throw ancient gadgets at enemies. It was also on the highest difficulty so when the enemy got to me they really got to me.

Then I got tired from this and lowered difficulty to just Hard. I still try to be quiet but when things go south I can usually handle it. Plus many story missions felt very cruel on the hardest difficulty. For some time I bowed to game's command to grind my problems but then I realized it's not fun anymore and I need enemies on comfortable level.

Glad that expansions seem to drop the level idea. You get to ~50 by doing the main storyline and after that everyone is the same level as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A few pages back but saying both voice actors are basically the same and both are bad is one of the worst takes I've ever seen in games

Kassandra is awesome, better, and it's not even close

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Alchenar posted:

I prefer the combat in the old series. I feel like if you are going to go Dark Souls-esque then you really need to go all the way in, otherwise it's just ends up being boring button mashing. Old AC combat felt like an interesting parallel development of the Batman games combat - a rhythm game where each combat encounter is a different combination of opponents which require you to push buttons in a different order to defeat them.

I regret that Syndicate showed they were clearly dipping their toes into going historical Hitman but then veered away, which was probably the right business decision but I would have preferred them to go down that road a bit more.

I can't ever shake the feeling I'm being experimented on when playing an AC game, particularly right now. The Odyssey expansions can be summed up as:
1. Do you like fort areas? Lets see how much you like interesting fort areas.
2. Do you like boss battles? Ditto.
3. Do you like running around doing quests in a single urban environment rather than the great outdoors?

You can bet Ubisoft are running the stats your PC is calling back with to extreme focus group the direction of the next games.

To help explain it, this is how the Odyssey Atlantis episodes are structured.

In episode 1, there are many huge forts and you will be doing a lot of sneaking around or clearing out forts. There's barely any bosses to kill aside from the last one.

In episode 2, there are many boss human enemies (you have to hunt down 5 or so just for the story plus there's optional ones and mercenaries too) so that's the main focus. Less forts. You're basically running around to each boss, killing them and moving on.

Episode 3 has a lot of quests in an urban setting and there's event a quest or two without any combat. Less emphasis on forts and bosses.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mr. Carlisle posted:

A few pages back but saying both voice actors are basically the same and both are bad is one of the worst takes I've ever seen in games

Kassandra is awesome, better, and it's not even close

You are wrong.

Ineffiable posted:

Episode 3 has a lot of quests in an urban setting and there's event a quest or two without any combat. Less emphasis on forts and bosses.

And by "urban setting", this person means "repetitive Precursor architecture" that feels very rushed out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lambert posted:

You are wrong.

And by "urban setting", this person means "repetitive Precursor architecture" that feels very rushed out.

:nallears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kassandra really should have been the main character and the only option. There was no point in putting in the male protag as playable.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I said come in! posted:

Kassandra really should have been the main character and the only option. There was no point in putting in the male protag as playable.

Gamers who think playing as a woman is the height of SJW cuck status and Ubi trying to maximize profits

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sticking with one voice actor would have been perfectly fine, I don't think the choice adds much to the game.

I can't be the only one that thinks this final episode of the DLC is garbage, can I?!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Gamers who think playing as a woman is the height of SJW cuck status and Ubi trying to maximize profits

UBISoft hasn't done this though, statistically that would be a mistake because most players incorrectly picked the male protag.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

I prefer the combat in the old series. I feel like if you are going to go Dark Souls-esque then you really need to go all the way in, otherwise it's just ends up being boring button mashing. Old AC combat felt like an interesting parallel development of the Batman games combat - a rhythm game where each combat encounter is a different combination of opponents which require you to push buttons in a different order to defeat them.

I regret that Syndicate showed they were clearly dipping their toes into going historical Hitman but then veered away, which was probably the right business decision but I would have preferred them to go down that road a bit more.

I can't ever shake the feeling I'm being experimented on when playing an AC game, particularly right now. The Odyssey expansions can be summed up as:
1. Do you like fort areas? Lets see how much you like interesting fort areas.
2. Do you like boss battles? Ditto.
3. Do you like running around doing quests in a single urban environment rather than the great outdoors?

You can bet Ubisoft are running the stats your PC is calling back with to extreme focus group the direction of the next games.

see i like the dark souls lite stuff better than syndicates. i do sorta like unities combat but its clunky as gently caress which sucks. 3 is fun for the pure spectacle of it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

I said come in! posted:

UBISoft hasn't done this though, statistically that would be a mistake because most players incorrectly picked the male protag.

Girls are icky and can't swing a sword, you see. Only a Pure Tuff Alpha Male is capable of such feats!

I hope the rumors of the next game being a vikings creed are true and the playable character is Valkyrie from For Honor in a surprise crossover event.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

No I meant that clearly the dev team wanted a lady protagonist but knew that the majority of gamers would freak out about it so in order to avoid risk just threw in a poor man's greek Ezio.

I actually think that's the right way to go, too. For the longest time I thought that creating your own character was the tops but that just leads to the MC being a nonentity who everyone just calls by a dumbass nickname (see Far Cry, every Bethesda game, etc). Instead having the option be between a couple predetermined choices that still have some amount of character and backstory and all that seems the best option to both have interesting characters and profit off of anyone who gets mad that they may be forced to play anything other than a grizzled white guy.

If Ubisoft can actually deliver on Watch Dogs Legion's promise of having every NPC be playable and also having them not just be a personality-devoid mannequin in cutscenes it may change the game but every WD game so far has over-promised and under-delivered so lets say I'm skeptical.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Now that all DLCs are there I'm back at it.

Elysium looks great, but I hope I don't really have to lower Persephone's power in every region. It will get old very fast. I've killed the leader of one region and cleared up the fortress and it's just half of the meter gone.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ilitarist posted:

Elysium looks great, but I hope I don't really have to lower Persephone's power in every region. It will get old very fast. I've killed the leader of one region and cleared up the fortress and it's just half of the meter gone.

You absolutely do have to do that (with the exception of Persephone's area).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Uh.

That's the real problem with the game, not the fact that they dared to include playable dude in it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I pretty much lowered her control just playing the story (which is terrible imo), wasn't a lot of work to finish.

But actually in general I kinda hate the dlcs, it made me question why I liked the main story so much in retrospect.

Origins is the better game overall imo, including dlcs, but Odyssey is still easily the second best game since Brotherhood.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Amppelix posted:

If this is not how you're playing Odyssey what the gently caress are you doing

Are you just wading into enemies groups mashing attack and then moaning about how this isn't stealth??

Entirely 2/3rds of the action rpg garbage is devoted to abilities that help you chain murder malakas, in case you haven't noticed
Cool your heels; I maxed out all the relevant assassin's tree poo poo asap and this makes it tolerable, not good

I will give them the predator zoom shot is something I would have killed for in the earlier games but otherwise I don't use ranged at all and the rest is just, there. I climb a tall building and kick and blow enemies to the ground to kill them because it's quicker or just evade and then chain kill them the moment they lose me

It's still got that irritating "meatsponges of HP slapping each other" thing so many RPGs got going on, where at the end I have tens of thousands of HP and deal thousands of damage but whoops, that dude there just ekes by and ruins the streak or I have to double back to kill him and so on

I just miss where it was a combat where it was a few hits or so and they died or you could just throw down a bomb and just stab every fucker in sight in increasingly quick ways

I think it's absolutely worth putting up with and that overall my biggest issue with both of the new games is that most spurious of complaints that they're too big and have too much stuff

Also if Kassandra is so much better than the dude she must be goddamn aces because he's been nailing it this far; just did the arena and he had some real pathos there

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lambert posted:

Sticking with one voice actor would have been perfectly fine, I don't think the choice adds much to the game.

I can't be the only one that thinks this final episode of the DLC is garbage, can I?!

That was more towards saying Kassandra's VA is worse than Alexios', haven't had a chance to check out much of Atlantis yet.
Like drat dude, it's widely accepted that her VA is far better, I'm partially deaf and even I can see that's true.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't know why everyone's so eager to declare one of the characters (usually Kassandra) better acted than the other. Especially since most people probably don't have a lot of experience with the one they didn't pick!

I think they both do an excellent job. Since most people probably picked Kass, like me, here's Alexios with some fantastic delivery in that one quest. You know the one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTxLvwRYSQ

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Note that plenty of people don't play with English voices. Russian voices are both great. Ubisoft, in general, is good with localizations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I loaded my odyssey save which i haven't touched in months, and i seem to have acquired the prize of the cyclops without actually, you know, doing anything towards that. At least i definitely don't remember doing anything with a cyclops! Besides the tutorial guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Amppelix posted:

I loaded my odyssey save which i haven't touched in months, and i seem to have acquired the prize of the cyclops without actually, you know, doing anything towards that. At least i definitely don't remember doing anything with a cyclops! Besides the tutorial guy.

I wonder if you got this glitch

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That sure sounds like it. I guess I'll miss a cool weapon, then, if I ever get around to it. Ah well.

Incidentally, in this same "package" i also got a full set of ...Agamnenon gear? The set that boosts Fire buildup. Weird glitch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay finished Fate of Atlantis and my reaction is really 'what the gently caress'.

I know people like to complain about the Isu/modern plot thread in these games but honestly in every one I've found it relatively unobnoxious at worst and generally mildly interesting and coherent. There's an artefact everyone's hunting for in the present, we're looking in the past to see where it was hidden. The reason the world is full of powerful artefacts is because they were made by an extinct race capable of manipulating reality with their technology trying desperately to escape their own extinction. A fallout of those attempts is a conflict between them that's rippling forwards through time.

I've always thought that was fine and made enough (internal) sense to justify itself.

This time though all the Keeper of the Staff nonsense, being told I'm connecting with it's power, the whole 'what was that all about conversation at the end', and the fact that the modern day story doesn't hit any kind of natural end point at all is absolutely infuriating. Best I can tell is they ripped off Inception but forgot to establish top layer stakes. It would have been better if we'd just been told 'oh I made these pocket reality simulations as an experiment, check it out if you want but be careful it's like the Matrix, you don't want to die in there'.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
They really went for a Witcher III experience but flubbed the landing. Just not enough time and resources put into the DLC (which is saying something because they still did a lot of work).

The base game remains excellent but I would recommend folks stop there if their priority is story. Single player as a service is an interesting idea, and some parts of post launch Odyssey are good. The amount of content is a real achievement. But boy did they gently caress up with the first DLC story and then underwhelmed with the second.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I thought it was kind of a clever way to make interacting with Greek gods "real" by having them be Isu beings. Maybe it's because I got the complete package at a huge discount over the winter (like $25 or something) but I didn't have any issue with the DLC aside from how annoying the verticality of it all was.

And also that I have a glitch on the Phoibe mission in Hades where it won't pop the next step in the mission after I find the toys so I can't fight the last Cult member or whoever to complete the trophy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

isk posted:

They really went for a Witcher III experience but flubbed the landing. Just not enough time and resources put into the DLC (which is saying something because they still did a lot of work).

The base game remains excellent but I would recommend folks stop there if their priority is story. Single player as a service is an interesting idea, and some parts of post launch Odyssey are good. The amount of content is a real achievement. But boy did they gently caress up with the first DLC story and then underwhelmed with the second.

At no point in this entire game do they manage to even glimpse Witcher 3 on the horizon, let alone get close to it in terms of story development. The stabby stabby and run and explore bits of the game are just fine and why it's good. But there isn't a single compelling story moment in the whole game.

e: and I'm not complaining about the quality of the DLC - as above, the running around and stabbing people is as good as it ever was. It's just that the attempt at story was worse than just giving no explanation whatsoever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

At no point in this entire game do they manage to even glimpse Witcher 3 on the horizon, let alone get close to it in terms of story development. The stabby stabby and run and explore bits of the game are just fine and why it's good. But there isn't a single compelling story moment in the whole game.

e: and I'm not complaining about the quality of the DLC - as above, the running around and stabbing people is as good as it ever was. It's just that the attempt at story was worse than just giving no explanation whatsoever.

this. i am liking the game overall and kassandra/alexyos kick rear end, but i really liked origins better, it had pacing issues sure, but it had a pretty good through line of plot even if it was weak at points. oydyssy has strong moments but its too loving long for its own good and alot of the endings are wet farts.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Lol, the story for these games have been terrible from the first game. I hope there is nobody that is really "I really enjoyed the story of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, where Desmond drives in a van for 10 hours, and Ezio gets a magic artifact, so this new story about hiding from Abstergo and getting magic artifacts was really disappointing."

The gameplay is usually good in the series, the settings are good, music is good, story is like, bottom of the list of reasons for liking the series in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the Fate of Atlantis, thought it provided three new playgrounds to enjoy the Odyssey gameplay, and some cool new toys.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean it's a pretty good game, the world is huge but shallow (there's a lot of bullshit radiant quests that are just 'go here, kill X'). They also added in romances but they're all really brief and kinda pointless and the main plot is really meandering and poorly paced, plus they added a lot more heavy sci-fi elements that don't really fit the theme of the series. There's a bunch of new game mechanics that don't really mesh that well either but can be fun to mess around with. The combat is probably the best in the series though and the female VA is great, even if overall the game that came just before it in the series (made by different devs) was a lot tighter and more well-written.

So yeah I would recommend Fallout 4/Assassin's Creed Odyssey :v:

Can we goldmine a single post because jesus gently caress this is incredible

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Every previous game had a really straightforward 'hunt for the macguffin' modern story which wasn't anything to get worked up about but it was at least a coherent story structure that would get you a pass in creative writing class.

Origins ditches that but has a reasonable enough Bayek story for me to not ask too many questions why Layla is in a cave in the animus. I can't even tell what kind of story Odyssey is supposed to be telling? Origin of the Templars? Nope, wasn't that. Hunt for the Staff? One protagonist just hands it to another for no apparent reason. The bloodline family stuff? It literally doesn't go anywhere because of the above point. The Peloponnesian War? The game is just set concurrent with it to give an excuse to have a foreverwar on the map.

The only character I genuinely cared about was the dude from tutorial island who brought up the main character and that's because he's the only character that the player character has a believable relationship with. And he never shops up again after tutorial island.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alchenar posted:

The only character I genuinely cared about was the dude from tutorial island who brought up the main character and that's because he's the only character that the player character has a believable relationship with. And he never shops up again after tutorial island.
You missed him! I just did this questline where he indeed shows up again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alchenar posted:

He does, and that quest features one of my favorite bits of voice acting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CreedThoughts posted:

Lol, the story for these games have been terrible from the first game. I hope there is nobody that is really "I really enjoyed the story of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, where Desmond drives in a van for 10 hours, and Ezio gets a magic artifact, so this new story about hiding from Abstergo and getting magic artifacts was really disappointing."

The gameplay is usually good in the series, the settings are good, music is good, story is like, bottom of the list of reasons for liking the series in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the Fate of Atlantis, thought it provided three new playgrounds to enjoy the Odyssey gameplay, and some cool new toys.

So I worked on AC: Symphony which is the musical tribute to the franchise, lol. It's been an absolute shitshow.

If anything I was eternally bummed that Desmond never got a proper payoff with a modern-day AC in a future cyber-dystopia taking on Abstergo while avoiding anyone with guns, or whatever the gently caress. There was a natural finale to that franchise and they have ran away from it ever since, especially since the new game is going to be loving...Vikings instead of feudal Japan ninjas/samurai. loving weak poo poo.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Taintrunner posted:

So I worked on AC: Symphony which is the musical tribute to the franchise, lol. It's been an absolute shitshow.

If anything I was eternally bummed that Desmond never got a proper payoff with a modern-day AC in a future cyber-dystopia taking on Abstergo while avoiding anyone with guns, or whatever the gently caress. There was a natural finale to that franchise and they have ran away from it ever since, especially since the new game is going to be loving...Vikings instead of feudal Japan ninjas/samurai. loving weak poo poo.

I've been a huge fan since the second game, and really gave up on the story with Revelations, so I wasn't even that disappointed with the Desmond resolution in III. I think that they underplayed the whole "Desmond is the hero of the sun flare" story thing, and that story does in fact end in III, hence Desmond ending there as well. Then for the next few games you have the whole "player works for Abstergo, something about a shroud", that gets dropped again for Origins. So there have been at least 3 different modern storylines, Desmond is a relic of the past.

Not even any of the "ancestor" stories have really been that engaging, boiling down usually to a revenge tale that gets mixed up with a National Treasure style "magic artifact" hunt.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I was on board with the modern day stuff until they didn't know what to do with it after 3 and just kept spinning their wheels. What happened with the big bad Isu, Juno, after her release? I dunno, she becomes part of the internet or something? And then nothing. There's some new precursor objects that get forgotten about as quickly as they're introduced. I think I remember one of the games hinting at Abstergo attempting to resurrect or clone the precursor race with Isu DNA. I doubt that gets followed up on either.

Then there's the new games with Layla, who is a person doing animus stuff for reasons, I guess. I don't know anymore. I thought they were setting up for something when Desmond's Father showed up at the end of Origins. Nope, not really!

Thankfully, I'm still on board with the recent refresh of the series, I think it was a good direction to go in, gameplay wise.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

man nurse posted:

Yeah I was on board with the modern day stuff until they didn't know what to do with it after 3 and just kept spinning their wheels. What happened with the big bad Isu, Juno, after her release? I dunno, she becomes part of the internet or something? And then nothing. There's some new precursor objects that get forgotten about as quickly as they're introduced. I think I remember one of the games hinting at Abstergo attempting to resurrect or clone the precursor race with Isu DNA. I doubt that gets followed up on either.

Then there's the new games with Layla, who is a person doing animus stuff for reasons, I guess. I don't know anymore. I thought they were setting up for something when Desmond's Father showed up at the end of Origins. Nope, not really!

Thankfully, I'm still on board with the recent refresh of the series, I think it was a good direction to go in, gameplay wise.

It's all resolved in a comic book

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah, as someone who jumped into the series at Origins and the kinda worked my way backwards the layers of soft reboot/hard reboot/trying this out/what if we did X? is pretty interesting from a design standpoint. You can see the bones of a cyber-dystopia in AC1+2 and then Ubi realizing they struck gold with the historical fiction part and awkwardly course-correcting. You can see where they realized Ezio was their most likable character and just dragging his plot out to the point of exhaustion. You can see where they thought the movie was gonna be huge so they added a ton of references to it in Origins, only to completely excise all of that in the sequel. You can see where they flirted with various mechanics (ship combat, recruitment, various nonlethal takedowns) and either expanded or tweaked them, with the funniest example always being the tower defense mode in Revelations because not only did they never try it again but I can't imagine anyone ever enjoying it at any point during testing or implementation. However, there is nothing funnier or more haphazard than this:

Calaveron posted:

Like I can see where they were kinda flailing around post-Desmond and with all the lingering plot threads they'd introduced, but to basically take what was supposed to be this prominent villain and kill her off (along with Desmond's secret son(?) I think(???)) in a random comic tie-in that nobody read reminds me of the way they handled all the talking animals in Fallout 2 (they all died of natural causes one second after the game ends because Avellone hated them). The mixture of disdain, incompetence, and 'aw gently caress it' is incredible.