Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

I’m on Rift S and I think they changed something with SteamVR because when I push the left menu button nothing happens but if I hold it down a steam icon pops out and a green bar fills around it. I don’t know what to do next after that and I have to go to my computer to launch a game.
This is weird because I don't get this at all. Maybe reinstall steamvr? I always launch steamvr by opening to my desktop and hitting the vr button though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TremorX posted:

Oh man, I get that one even with just a single monitor. Something about that makes my head and eyes hurt.
Oh I mean physically looking back through the rear window with the HMD. Accelerating gets already weird, but oh when you hit the brakes. I figure it's related to the body rocking motion the car does. I get minor queasiness if I keep tapping the gas at low speeds in first gear, because the car is buckling then, too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Euro Truck Simulator is rough in VR because of all the stop-and-go. That said, it's hella fun!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

Content is pretty thin for quest right now, but my recommendation for anybody who gets motion/simulator sick would be the free ISS software. Just hop into the explore mode and alternate between physics based locomotion by dragging yourself around with your hands, and then try the free motion with the left stick. Just scoot around for a few minutes and stop, then pick it up again in an hour and do a few more minutes. The transition back and forth is a pretty gentle way of training your vestibular system.

Another alternative to consider if the fairly paltry software selection is a problem is the entire catalog of steamvr and rift software, which more or less all work wirelessly with alvr, if you have a computer than can run them and a decent router.

I'm gonna try that out tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So Tetris Effect comes out in 2 days for PC with VR support for HTC Vive / Oculus (and I guess the Valve one too?)!

It’s an Epic Store exclusive though :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So Tetris Effect comes out in 2 days for PC with VR support for HTC Vive / Oculus (and I guess the Valve one too?)!

It’s an Epic Store exclusive though :negative:

I wouldn't be too fussed; Those are mostly turning into TIMED exclusives rather than sticking.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
https://twitter.com/rvdleun/status/1149354165019324416

I hope you guys won't mind if I do a bit of self-advertisement here. This is a project that I've been working on-and-off again for about a year now, and released a MVP last week. It's a standalone application that will let you connect to your desktop with a browser. I suppose it's much like Big Screen or Virtual Desktop, but it has a couple of things that might make it stand out. So far, I've tested it with several HMDs(Quest, Go, Daydream, Vive) and it's working on all them. What I'm most excited about is that I've also been able to get it working in Windows, Mac and Linux(albeit only tested on Ubuntu). Granted, it's built with Electron and didn't really require too much effort there.

And, of course, I don't have to maintain a specific client per VR device. It's all powered by the browser. So far, I only had to open a browser, connect to my PC and it just worked.

It's far from perfect. There is some lag. To counter that, I have added a virtual cursor that updates real-time when the user is moving the mouse. Altogether, for me, it basically feels like working on a remote desktop. I have used it in the past to actually work when I really needed to be focused, and really think the whole thing is very useable at this point.

At the moment, it only supports one display and no controller support. For now, my priority is showing more screens and being able to move them around with the controller. After that, I have high hopes in implementing a feature that will let users create custom environments built with AFrame.

Finally, it's free and open-source. This has really mostly been a hobby project. Have to admit that I was briefly flirting with the idea turning it into a commercial product, but at this point, I'm far more interested in releasing a product I am proud of and see what people think.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there any way to hotkey the Rift calibration screen? When passing it around a group I'd like to make sure they all have an optimal experience but giving people directions in VR is difficult, especially when they haven't used it before.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Amazon does not gently caress around. I ordered my Rift S and it made its way from Pennsylvania to rural Australia in 3 loving days.

I love the Rift S , but I have a problem when playing beat saber. My right control/saner seems to go haywire at least once a song and it won’t sync up with my movements. Any tips?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Just a guess, but try turning around your playspace by 180° and checking if it now affects the left controller. If yes, something in your room interferes with controller tracking (maybe the sun? or a mirror reflecting the sun, or the controller's IR diodes? dunno). That would at least rule out the right controller itself or the right side cameras being a problem. If the problems consistently persist on the right controller no matter how you change your environment, then maybe it's RMA time :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Raged posted:

I love the Rift S , but I have a problem when playing beat saber. My right control/saner seems to go haywire at least once a song and it won’t sync up with my movements. Any tips?

I don't know how you play, but in addition to what SirViver said, check to see if your right hand is getting too close to your face while you swing around. The beta track of the Oculus client has a working fix for the lovely sensor detection at close range, but they haven't made an official release yet.

So it's either your space or your hands getting too close to your face. If it's the latter all you can do is opt into beta for now or wait for the patch to go public.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Someone put a gently used rift with extra sensor on our company intranet classifieds for 240. Is that a deal to leap on like a warrior?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yup, that's a good price. $250 is what I charged my little bro for a Rift + extra sensor.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

250 w/ an extra sensor, 200 w/o seems to be the normal going rate.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I haven't purchased a game for the Quest yet, but I did try out moonrider.xyz and that was pretty impressive when compared with the beat saber demo. I got my heart pumping and I pleased my frugal fanny mentality.

I'm just playing 20-30 minutes at a time. Trying to get myself to a point where there's no motion sickness.

I thought I'd be more blown away by the quest, but I'm having to warm up to it. Partly due to the nausea thing, and partly the image clarity not being as crisp as I thought it would.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

moolchaba posted:

frugal fanny

My girlfriend has this same mentality.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

My girlfriend has this same mentality.

I may end up flipping this if it gets boring in 30 days and/or I keep getting nauseated. I don't wanna throw money at it just yet (or ever to be honest, because frugal).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

moolchaba posted:

I may end up flipping this if it gets boring in 30 days and/or I keep getting nauseated. I don't wanna throw money at it just yet (or ever to be honest, because frugal).

My experience was that the nausea decreased each time. I just stopped if I felt motion sick, then the next day I found I could go longer without suffering it. In some games I never felt it at all (racing, flying, non-walking-around stuff like Beat Saber)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:confused:

I'm sorry this is the VR Thread

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thats really interesting, I'll have to try this on my go when I get a chance this week. Is it basically using webVR to bring up its environment just through the browser?

moolchaba posted:

I haven't purchased a game for the Quest yet, but I did try out moonrider.xyz and that was pretty impressive when compared with the beat saber demo. I got my heart pumping and I pleased my frugal fanny mentality.

I'm just playing 20-30 minutes at a time. Trying to get myself to a point where there's no motion sickness.

I thought I'd be more blown away by the quest, but I'm having to warm up to it. Partly due to the nausea thing, and partly the image clarity not being as crisp as I thought it would.

From what I've been told the demo of beat saber is only playable on medium, and things don't pick up until hard. Also for all your cheap-rear end needs, if you've already tried the free stuff like Mission ISS, Rec Room, pokerstarsVR, Bait!, VR chat, etc, oculus store has a return policy. If you've played a game less than 2 hours you can refund it, and thats up to... 5 games a month I think? So I mean, yeah if you really want to give it more of a workout before deciding whether to keep it, give stuff like Vader Immortal, Beat Saber, etc a try and just don't play them over 2 hours.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

moolchaba posted:

Partly due to the nausea thing, and partly the image clarity not being as crisp as I thought it would.

I think this is VR in general, my GTX 1070 and i5-2500K are definitely the bare minimum for the Index and I'm still fiddling with the refresh rates and resolutions. Some apps like NVIDIA's Carnival look like dog poo poo on global settings and I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet on a 2070 or 2080.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Anybody here play any VR games where you can sit on your rear end most of the time? After being on my feet for 8 hours working, it's nice to sit down.

I play Skyrim VR where everything can be played while sitting, but when you interact with NPCs you'll be looking at their crotches when looking straight forward. It's a bit scary when wolves come at you face to face.

PokerStars VR is a simple and casual fun of goofing off while playing poker while sitting down.

I thinking Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope I can probably do while sitting too.

Anybody know of any other decent games?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ijii posted:

Anybody here play any VR games where you can sit on your rear end most of the time? After being on my feet for 8 hours working, it's nice to sit down.

I play Skyrim VR where everything can be played while sitting, but when you interact with NPCs you'll be looking at their crotches when looking straight forward. It's a bit scary when wolves come at you face to face.

PokerStars VR is a simple and casual fun of goofing off while playing poker while sitting down.

Most games will have a seated mode, but specifically I can think of some games like I Expect You To Die, Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Moss, Lucky's Tale, then all the cockpit games of course, elite, racing games, etc. Lone Echo/Echo VR is all zero G moving with your hands so hight doesn't come into it and can be played fine seated as long as you don't mind using snap turning. Star Trek bridge crew is 100% seated. Dragon Front is a free colectable card game thing thats of course seated, along with RTS games like final assault or brass tactics.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ijii posted:

I have an "Accessibility" section of the settings in SteamVR, with a slider where I can increase my height. When I play Fallout VR seated I usually increase that by .5 meters and it puts you at a normal height. I dunno if that's default or some fancy addon to SteamVR that I installed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

moolchaba posted:

This was a joke about 'fanny' being slang for 'vagina', implying I never get laid.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Skyrim has a built in height adjuster so you will seem like you’re standing. Fallout 4 vr doesn’t have it but there’s an accessibility plugin for steam vr that does the same thing for games without the adjustment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

moolchaba posted:

Do you get nauseated from, say, the First Contact intro thing? Usually nausea is tied to artificial locomotion of some sort. Beat Saber doesn't have any, but it's possible you have an issue with the blocks coming forwards making it feel like you're moving. If you're getting nauseous from something like First Contact that's 100% static and doesn't have much moving around, then you're probably sensitive to either something in the optics (like an IPD that doesn't match, or you're sensitive to pupil swim or distortion), or the FPS isn't high enough (for some people, 72hz is fundamentally still an uncomfortable experience). If you get nauseous from that then I'd probably say it's not worth it overall and to just pass on the Quest until something with better specs comes out.

If not and your issue is with locomotion, then I'd try to find more stuff that doesn't require you to move around. Maybe stuff like Space Pirate Trainer or the lightsaber dojo in Vader Immortal

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raged posted:

Try just simply turning another direction in your room and see if that helps. Could be a ton of small things causing weird tracking on that hand. At the quest shoot we had a big shiny oculus logo behind us. Facing it or spinning in that area would cause tracking drop pretty regularly and it was due to something something reflections something cant grab a tracking point off cameras due to shine something something.

Also as scuffed as this sounds. If you have masking tape, put some Xs on the walls in random places if your walls are bare with nothing for the system to track off of.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have a three camera rift and Beat Saber will still lose tracking about twice per hour. I'm not sure that a perfect tracking system exists.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats really interesting, I'll have to try this on my go when I get a chance this week. Is it basically using webVR to bring up its environment just through the browser?
Exactly. With AFrame, it's fairly easy to create a 3D environment that works on nearly any VR Headset using WebVR. I'm using it fairly simply at the moment by only using a 360 sphere and planes to paste the desktop screen on, but you can do far more elaborate stuff with it.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Add some tape to the battery so it has a snugger fit as well. Sometimes the batteries will lose connection at higher velocities.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ijii posted:

Ultrawings, if you liked PilotWings

Any racing sim (assetto Corsa/competizione, project cars 1/2, dirt rally, etc)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Corbeau posted:

I have a three camera rift and Beat Saber will still lose tracking about twice per hour. I'm not sure that a perfect tracking system exists.

3x LH2 is nearly unbreakable. I can go entire play sessions without the slightest hitch even though I’m spinning my saber around like crazy. It’s the best tracking I’ve ever played with and I can pretty much forget about tracking problems.
Still gonna get a 4th.

If only the positional accuracy was as good as Rift.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Having a weird issue with my chaperone on the Rift S. Whenever I put the headset on for the first time, the chaperone only shows up in a small circle in the middle of my vision. Restarting the Oculus service fixes it every time, so not a major issue just slightly annoying and wondering if anyone has had the same problem or knows a fix?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just picked up a second hand rift, and mostly loving it. Skyrim keeps making me sick, gonna try it again after I stumble back from the bar. Melee combat is pretty fun after some ini tweaks and a couple mods.

Anyone have a problem with home crashing tho? It keeps happening, and my view will freeze, I'll hear the disconnect sound, and after 30 sec or so it will reconnect and home will come back. Seems more likely when I try to open the virtual desktop

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

RFC2324 posted:

Just picked up a second hand rift, and mostly loving it. Skyrim keeps making me sick, gonna try it again after I stumble back from the bar. Melee combat is pretty fun after some ini tweaks and a couple mods.

Anyone have a problem with home crashing tho? It keeps happening, and my view will freeze, I'll hear the disconnect sound, and after 30 sec or so it will reconnect and home will come back. Seems more likely when I try to open the virtual desktop

The best part of skyrim in VR is doing an archer build, by far, especially with realistic bows turned on, and some of the mods that improve how bows work. Another mod thats almost required is the one for spatialised audio.

It shouldn't be crashing though, especially not regularly. If you're hearing the disconnect sounds theres a few things to try.
-Make sure the cable connection into the headset itself is secure
-Try another USB port for the headset
-Turn off suspend options for USB in power management
-If you have another HDMI port, try a different one

EDIT: Just saw this post from Oculus Support that might be relevent, in regards to someone having the software crash on them:

quote:

Hello, we are rolling out version 1.39 to the public now from the beta channel, and this could be causing issues. Could you try a repair of the software? To do this, just download the setup file from https://www.oculus.com/setup/ but choose Repair instead of Install. If you're still having trouble, please gather logs following the steps at https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/#faq_172672339980954 and open a Support ticket so we can assist further. Thanks.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 23, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Raged posted:

Amazon does not gently caress around. I ordered my Rift S and it made its way from Pennsylvania to rural Australia in 3 loving days.

My right controler in beat saber will ALWAYS miss at least 1 beat that is just outside my field of view (making passing the 0 fails campain impossible)

I see humble bundle is doing a vr sale.

Is skyrim at -67% a good price (ive put in hundreds of hours in normal)
Is DOOM VFR as good as people said it was when vr was new? Its -67% as well

Ive got gorn, but dont play because my and my son hurt ourselves (i plan on moving the system to a bigger room soonish) and beat sabre.
Also serious sam 3 vr, which is good bar the movement. I always end up faving the wrong way.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know how you play, but in addition to what SirViver said, check to see if your right hand is getting too close to your face while you swing around. The beta track of the Oculus client has a working fix for the lovely sensor detection at close range, but they haven't made an official release yet.

So it's either your space or your hands getting too close to your face. If it's the latter all you can do is opt into beta for now or wait for the patch to go public.

This did the trick. Downloaded the beta update and just ran Beat Saber for 2 hours with no issue.

Can anyone recommend a mini display port extension cable for the S? Right now the huge supplied mini dp adapter is hanging and just waiting for someone to sneeze at it to break the port.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Meskhenet posted:

Is DOOM VFR as good as people said it was when vr was new? Its -67% as well

Don't get Doom VFR if you're using an Oculus headset. I bought it because I saw that they had added full locomotion and Oculus support, and I regretted it.

It's frustrating because it actually works really well, except that every time I move my head I get severe juddering. You can use the stick locomotion to move around, and wave your hands in front of your face, and it's all perfectly smooth, but for some reason head movement is choppy.

I googled around and it's a known problem, but Bethesda is probably never going to fix it, because they hate Oculus.

And, because I bought it on Humble Bundle I can't get a refund for a broken unplayable game. That is understandable for their bundles, where it's a package deal, but it's kind of bullshit for a store selling individual games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Meskhenet posted:

Is skyrim at -67% a good price (ive put in hundreds of hours in normal)

The interface for Skyrim VR is even worse than the original. Bad enough it makes playing frustrating, even with mods. If you spend tens of hours modding it, it does look gorgeous though. I spent more time modding it than I have playing it in VR and I bought it months ago.

I posted a bunch of words about my first experiences after playing long enough to kill the dragon upthread.

LLSix posted:

Lots of words

It's still Skyrim. I'll probably still play at least 100 hours if I can get it to stop crashing every half hour, but Bethesda really put a minimal, or I'd argue, a less than minimal amount of effort into their port. Bad enough that instead of playing Skyrim full time the way I expected to I'm only fiddling with it inbetween other games.

Edit: That was more words than I expected. Sorry for the rant, I'm going to rock out in Soundboxing now.

I never did get it to stop crashing and I've spent very little time in it since. Most people who say they like it also encountered the same issues I list in the full post but were willing to tolerate them.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 23, 2019