Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Isn't he? The stuff on his eye and arms looks like Borg tech. Even if that's not what they intended it's what I believe now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jewel Repetition posted:

Isn't he? The stuff on his eye and arms looks like Borg tech. Even if that's not what they intended it's what I believe now

Oh you're talking about the mirror universe comic

Yeah it looks like it. Picard probably personally killed and ate the Borg queen in that universe and data wears that poo poo as war trophies for intimidation

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The worst part about those mirror universe covers/panels that get posted is how almost every face looks like it's been copied in from a screencap and then digitally altered to "fit" the rest of the art.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Picard upon first seeing Fat Data

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jealous Cow posted:

Picard upon first seeing Fat Data

Bottom is his initial reaction and top is him posting about it

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder what the mirror universe version of Tom Riker is doing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Weaponized sideburns.

Cyburns.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Weaponized sideburns.

Cyburns.

They’re slowing growing, and they have a plan.

Narrator: they didn’t have a plan.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pascallion posted:

Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy is the best Voyager episode. Followed by Bride of Chaotica.

I'm a big fan of Counterpoint as well

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Oddly enough, he's also in a Cardassian forced labor camp

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oddly enough, he's also in a Cardassian forced labor camp

Well duh, the Cardassians conquered the Terrans in that universe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want Riker to be in command of a Galaxy Class ship in Picard and then saves the day by charging in and rescuing them at some point and we have nostalgia-cam where they step onto the bridge and soft music plays as we pan around an upgraded bridge set and everything

And also they use CGI for shuttlebay one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Or if Q has gotten tired of loving with him and now just drops in occasionally to old dude chill out with him.

I genuinely think this'd be a neat take too. One of the short treks is called Q&A and we know one of them is about Picard, so maybe we'll see Q.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 22, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The best part about the TNG Mirror Universe is that the mirror Picard Maneuver is a belly to back suplex.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The worst part about those mirror universe covers/panels that get posted is how almost every face looks like it's been copied in from a screencap and then digitally altered to "fit" the rest of the art.

That's exactly what happened. They're all traced. Everything in it is traced. There were examples in this thread at some point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

I genuinely think this'd be a neat take too. One of the short treks is called Q&A and we know one of them is about Picard, so maybe we'll see Q.

Now that I've seen the short treks trailer I think the one with Number One and Spock trapped in an elevator is Q&A.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
So, since they're doing the Picard show in the STD universe (they are right?), what do people think the Borg will be like? They changed the Klingons a lot for STD, so I guess we can expect the same for the the Picard show? Or is this going to turn out to be in a different timeline or a mirror universe deal?

Also, Patrick Stewart seems way too old for this, even in the small clips they picked for the trailer. Seems like they're taking a pretty big risk casting all of these old timers. I guess Picard would be the right character to confront Ageism with, but if it does not work out will the nostalgia alone enough to revitalize the franchise, or even compete with The Orville? I guess they did keep making the TOS movies for a good long while...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Grand Fromage posted:

Now that I've seen the short treks trailer I think the one with Number One and Spock trapped in an elevator is Q&A.

More like Q&Q&Q&Q&Q&Q&do you find me annoying&Q

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

thotsky posted:

So, since they're doing the Picard show in the STD universe (they are right?), what do people think the Borg will be like? They changed the Klingons a lot for STD, so I guess we can expect the same for the the Picard show? Or is this going to turn out to be in a different timeline or a mirror universe deal?

Also, Patrick Stewart seems way too old for this, even in the small clips they picked for the trailer. Seems like they're taking a pretty big risk casting all of these old timers. I guess Picard would be the right character to confront Ageism with, but if it does not work out will the nostalgia alone enough to revitalize the franchise, or even compete with The Orville? I guess they did keep making the TOS movies for a good long while...

From what I've read, it takes place in the "Normal" Star Trek universe, and is set a little bit after Spock tries and fails to save Romulus, as shown in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek '09.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

thotsky posted:

Some of the tech guys from Discovery were fantasizing in an interview about how they'd do the Borg, and they said they'd make use of 3D printing and cheaper robotics to make it look like they have more task-specific mechanical parts. They also said they'd like to see specialization within the species, like different classes of Borg that are visibly outfitted for specific tasks.

As for Picard, they seem to be leaning into the fact that he's an old man as part of the story. I don't know what he seems too old for with that in mind, unless you're expecting him to do action stuff again. (I get the impression this is more about him as a leader, though.) I dig it, there was something cool to me about theme of an old, irrelevant hero going "I don't want the game to end."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Borg on TNG and then later on Voyager all had slightly different looks already, I'm not sure what they mean exactly

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Borg on TNG and then later on Voyager all had slightly different looks already, I'm not sure what they mean exactly

like having a borg that's just made of USB cables that charges all the other borg's phones

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I really want Riker to be in command of a Galaxy Class ship in Picard and then saves the day by charging in and rescuing them at some point and we have nostalgia-cam where they step onto the bridge and soft music plays as we pan around an upgraded bridge set and everything

This is all I want

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Drink-Mix Man posted:

As for Picard, they seem to be leaning into the fact that he's an old man as part of the story. I don't know what he seems too old for with that in mind, unless you're expecting him to do action stuff again. (I get the impression this is more about him as a leader, though.) I dig it, there was something cool to me about theme of an old, irrelevant hero going "I don't want the game to end."

Too old for his character. Like, the series is called Picard, and is announced after the fans became upset that the Star Trek that is being produced is not like the Treks of old, so I think it stands to reason that we can take them on their word when they say they're bring back "Captain Picard". I am worried that Patrick Stewart is unable to inhabit that character convincingly.

Basically, he looks too frail. He's not commanding. They leaned into that with Logan, and it worked because the character we see there is very much not Professor X anymore, but an addled old man needing to be cared for. He's meant to evoke pity, and does so wonderfully. In contrast all we've heard thus far point to Picard being about Picard having to come out of retirement for one last adventure, something only he can do. The line in the trailer is "be the Captain they remember"; I think that's what a lot of fans want too, and I have not seen anything that suggest Stewart is up to the task.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 22, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

like having a borg that's just made of USB cables that charges all the other borg's phones

This is the kind of hard hitting social commentary I expect from Star Trek.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
His delivery of the “she may be in serious danger” line felt really off and non-Picard. Not the words, just the way be delivered it. Very old man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

This is the kind of hard hitting social commentary I expect from Star Trek.
I prefer the LiveBlogging Borg that is just covered in camera lenses

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

I would love this but I also dread seeing whatever pointy bullshit John Eaves would turn this hypothetical D redesign into.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would love this but I also dread seeing whatever pointy bullshit John Eaves would turn this hypothetical D redesign into.

Perhaps he could take the three-nacelled monstrosity from All Good Things... as his baseline. But, you know, flattened out a lot. No interconnecting dorsal, just mash the hulls together. Got to make all three nacelles more angular too. And have the oval of the saucer go the other way, so the long way points forward, to make it look faster. Then paint it all black and cover it in greebling. Done.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Here is what I imagine the bridge would look like.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Three trowels taped to a dorito.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
"Peak Performance" is on H&I right now. While this is far from the worst episode of the show, I'm starting to realize that it is a good microcosm of what sucked about early ST:TNG.

• Dr. Pulaski. Seriously, even though she didn't have the chance to ruin all the early seasons, her efforts in this season more than make up for any lost time.
  • What's-His-Face, the alien from that strategy-minded species that I can't believe isn't called "the Dickheadianfuckfaceshitburgers of Analwart 9."
  • Wesley saves the day.
    • And on that note, why wasn't this done in the holodeck? That would solve the last-act crisis before it became a crisis.
    • If the game had to be done in space, then why put Team Riker on a dilapidated, barely functional ship? You can put Riker's crew at a properly proportional disadvantage without putting them on the USS Salvage.
    • Why can't they fake-fight without turning off their real weapons, other than BADPLOT?
  • God dammit, Pulaski! Signing Data up for a contest he didn't want, and then scolding Data when he reacts badly to losing at a game of Tiger Electronic Fingercaps?
  • Early Feringi are bad Feringi. But on the upside, it's Quaptain Quark!

I know that if some iffy character decisions aren't made, there won't be drama or stakes, but this episode is egregiously full of plot holes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

This is all I want

Not empty quoting.

It would even fit Rikers character to turn down command of the new Starfleet flagship the UltraExtremeX class USS Dominator in order to finally be Captain of a Galaxy.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

is Diana Muldaur still alive? Can we get her in Picard?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

tarlibone posted:

[*]What's-His-Face, the alien from that strategy-minded species that I can't believe isn't called "the Dickheadianfuckfaceshitburgers of Analwart 9."

Hey now, we have no evidence that he wasn't just a total dickhead and the rest of the burgerfaces weren't chill and cool. He might have just been a World of (star)Ships sperg that all the other burgerfaces were totally embarrassed to be associated with due to his being the most famous and visible of their noble peoples.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Hey now, we have no evidence that he wasn't just a total dickhead and the rest of the burgerfaces weren't chill and cool. He might have just been a World of (star)Ships sperg that all the other burgerfaces were totally embarrassed to be associated with due to his being the most famous and visible of their noble peoples.

That species also shows up in Gambit where they run a scrapyard for the federation. The dude in charge is also kind of a giant tool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speculation spoiled because of a casting announcement that hasn't made as many headlines.

Since Hugh is coming back, it's almost certainly going to be something to do with the Borg that became individuals in Descent. My guess is that after Voyager cutoff the Borg's access to the alpha quadrant, the question became what to do about the Borg that were stranded. Romulus must have raided some of the tech (we know because of the Narada) and now view that tech as paramount importance to keep their species alive. The Federation decided to turn a blind eye to that since the Romulans were no serious threat anymore and it solved the Borg problem. But Romulans didn't stop at disconnected Borg, they decided to go after the growing group of individual Borg lead by Hugh. Picard didn't like that and argued that they should be protected just like any other race, but the Federation stated that they weren't a race, only a scattered group of different individual species that they couldn't police and had no business interfering with. Besides, most could live without their implants anyways so the Romulans were doing them a favor.

This girl, I'm guessing, is the first true Borg offspring from the individual group. She wasn't assimilated at a young age. She wasn't grown as a normal baby and then immediately augmented with cybernetics. She was born with nanoprobes as part of her bodily systems. She IS a new species and the future of the individual Borg. The Romulans want her since she proves they are genociding a group of people by scavenging tech and the Federation doesn't want to wade into intervening with the Romulans after what happened the last time (homeworld went boom.) Data is brought back as an expert witness due to his experience in "Measure of a Man" in establishing the standards of new life.

If that's what it ends up being, there's potential there for good story with some decent contemporary allegory.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Golden Gael posted:

She's 81 and has no credits on IMDB in the last 25 years

also Pulaski sucks and felt like 'Dr McCoy, but a woman'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Speculation spoiled because of a casting announcement that hasn't made as many headlines.

Since Hugh is coming back, it's almost certainly going to be something to do with the Borg that became individuals in Descent. My guess is that after Voyager cutoff the Borg's access to the alpha quadrant, the question became what to do about the Borg that were stranded. Romulus must have raided some of the tech (we know because of the Narada) and now view that tech as paramount importance to keep their species alive. The Federation decided to turn a blind eye to that since the Romulans were no serious threat anymore and it solved the Borg problem. But Romulans didn't stop at disconnected Borg, they decided to go after the growing group of individual Borg lead by Hugh. Picard didn't like that and argued that they should be protected just like any other race, but the Federation stated that they weren't a race, only a scattered group of different individual species that they couldn't police and had no business interfering with. Besides, most could live without their implants anyways so the Romulans were doing them a favor.

This girl, I'm guessing, is the first true Borg offspring from the individual group. She wasn't assimilated at a young age. She wasn't grown as a normal baby and then immediately augmented with cybernetics. She was born with nanoprobes as part of her bodily systems. She IS a new species and the future of the individual Borg. The Romulans want her since she proves they are genociding a group of people by scavenging tech and the Federation doesn't want to wade into intervening with the Romulans after what happened the last time (homeworld went boom.) Data is brought back as an expert witness due to his experience in "Measure of a Man" in establishing the standards of new life.

If that's what it ends up being, there's potential there for good story with some decent contemporary allegory.
You don't need to spoil speculation and the Hugh casting isn't some huge secret

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You don't need to spoil speculation and the Hugh casting isn't some huge secret

I know it wasn't, but I also know some people get really touchy about that stuff so I played it safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Golden Gael posted:

She's still alive but her last acting credit is from 1993. And that was a voice job (on Batman: TAS!)