Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ion Fury is canon for Duke right? Does that mean we could just have him die on the toilet in this game and never come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fallom posted:

I played through the remasters of both games recently and found BZ2 pretty rough around the edges. The combat in BZ1 is a lot tighter and feels a lot better. The follower AI might even be better. gently caress that expansion pack, though.
I definitely remember liking the first game more, but it's been so long since I've played either of them I wouldn't be able to say why now.

The Kins posted:

There is a remaster available on GOG and Steam, should that intrigue you.
Yeah funny story, this Battlezone chat made me go look these up on Steam because I knew they existed, all the while kicking myself for not picking them up during the Steam sale

Turns out at some point I did in fact buy the remasters of both BZ1 and BZ2. Steam strikes again!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given that Randy Pitchford owns Duke, no i dont think Ion Fury can lay claim to cannon.

Now, could they have an man in royalty outfit's irradiated corpse in a secret while Shelly goes "drat, that duke got nuked", yes

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

brutal doom 64 is also great, it doesn't have so much uuuh overly sadistic stuff in it, it's just gore + altered gameplay, with the best official doom mapset

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

100 dukes drop into a retro map of new york and have a great big battle royale with pig cop NPCs in the map akin to the zombies in codblops 4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

100 dukes drop into a retro map of new york and have a great big battle royale with pig cop NPCs in the map akin to the zombies in codblops 4

Any Duke that dies is revealed to have been a holo-duke

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
if DNF had come out earlier and had a sequel, how long before duke was helping the heroic police massacre minorities? don't worry the police are still pigs so it's satire

It's better that Duke died and we only saw part of his descent.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean his descent was basically a from orbit atmosphere screaming impact so its not like he could have slid much further down than where he ended up from the Duke Nukem Forever we got.

I think rebooting him is easier than people say, as long as his gameplay is good and he spouts movie quotes without getting bogged down with weird attitudes to women hed be fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Who the hell actually wants Duke to come back a) at all and b) as a Gearbox franchise

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd like a decent Duke game (it can be again in Build engine like Ion Fury) but not under Gearbox, or at least Randy Prickford's hands touching it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My hope is Randy goes to jail and somebody non-gearbox can make a Duke game. Those dont have to be related events, just in general.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Dukes back, in smartphone trading card game format!

I get like nothing but Pig Cop dupes constantly this is bullshit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Black Griffon posted:

I was gonna just settle down with no sleep and three hours until I've gotta get up for work and play some vanilla Doom, but then I went down the WAD rabbit hole. Anyone got recommendations for big, expansive maps with lots of secrets and fun areas? I gave Avactor a try, and it's pretty fun, but I'm kinda poo poo at it. I think I might prefer more modern surroundings instead of the jungle.

• Verdant Citadel -- big, expansive, gorgeous
  • The Alfonzone -- not all themes are expansive or modern, but all of them are fun and filled with secrets
  • Hell-Forged -- definitely expansive and filled with secrets, I'll let you decide for yourself if "gothic fantasy industrial hell" is a modern theme or not
  • Hurt -- extremely expansive hellish fortress
  • ZDCMP2 -- also extremely expansive, a UAC research center on a tropical island where the usual thing happened, definitely has tons of secrets

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hell yeah, that last one looks rad as hell. Thanks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

• Verdant Citadel -- big, expansive, gorgeous
  • The Alfonzone -- not all themes are expansive or modern, but all of them are fun and filled with secrets
  • Hell-Forged -- definitely expansive and filled with secrets, I'll let you decide for yourself if "gothic fantasy industrial hell" is a modern theme or not
  • Hurt -- extremely expansive hellish fortress
  • ZDCMP2 -- also extremely expansive, a UAC research center on a tropical island where the usual thing happened, definitely has tons of secrets

My nomination guesses for the Cacowards'19 are Eviternity (this is in 100%), Hellforged, Mapwich and Infraworld - The Hatehammer. Hurt could enter too, I give it a bit less priority, and Lunar Catastrophe is being liked a lot as a classic Doom vanilla experience.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The biggest thing I blame George Brussard for is not having one of Duke's lines be "You think this is the real Duke? It is!" when using the Holo-duke. How do you gently caress that up. The poo poo writes itself Greorge, you grease bastard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Who the hell actually wants Duke to come back a) at all and b) as a Gearbox franchise

you could do a game satirizing duke. but they'd probably muddle it like last action hero did.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I have no desire to see a new Duke Nukem game. The well is poisoned

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could do a game satirizing duke. but they'd probably muddle it like last action hero did.

Duke is a satire

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Was there ever a term for flying/driving games that basically play like first person shooters with strafing and such? It feels weird to call Descent/Quarentine/Battle Zone/Magic Carpet/etc 'sims' I guess it was just 'action'. I feel like there were a ton of those in the 90s but they dropped off pretty hard.

I'm mostly talking about Descent because I haven't played any of the others. It definitely wouldn't be a sim just because it happens to include flying, any more than Doom is a hunting sim. Technically it is first-person and includes shooting, so calling it an FPS isn't too off-base, as the main difference is you fly instead of walking, and who said you can only walk in an FPS? But maybe something like "Vehicle Shooter" would make sense. Or simply "Vehicle FPS".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skasion posted:

Duke is a satire

unintentionally.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Well no, not really. He’s not trying to say anything deep or insightful about action heroes, but he’s a parody of them. He chomps cigars, he wears his shades, he shamelessly rips off their lines, he lusts for broads, he kills aliens and doesn’t afraid of anything. He’s a ridiculous, over-the-top pastiche of 80s action heroes. He’s a comic character.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I still think you could have a Duke game that neither makes him an ironic punching bag nor sincerely treats his machismo as badass - I want me a sad Duke Nukem

DoombatINC posted:

It wouldn't be hard to write Duke as a massive dork that quotes action movies unironically, owns a motorcycle and guns and such strictly as macho paraphernalia, and hits the Bowflex every night while rewatching Andy Sidaris movies. Just some lonely guy that's trying way too hard - somewhere between Johnny Bravo and Lo Wang from the SW reboot, but sadder. Give me a two minute single take shot of him getting drunk in a strip club, alone, with a muffled mono mix of a Cherry Pie soundalike playing the background. But aliens invade and, suddenly, he has purpose and direction. "Lovable loser finds joy, acceptance and meaning in life," it brings the house down every time.

I think I'm the entire target demo for the concept of "Duke Nukem, but with pathos" though :v:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think all those guys just became redpillers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
duke was the original incel fantasy chad so makes sense

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't think it's worth thinking what kind of "character" Duke is and what kind of statement he wants to make. I just wish we could have a fun Duke game again. Even if it's completely misogynistic, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have a good Duke game that folks just won't play if their offended then worrying about those same folks preventing said game for being made because if their offended, then everyone else should be. I know i'm in the minority with that opinion (I think) and I'm ok with that.

Editing for clarification: I don't want an intentionally misogynistic game, I just want a game that is fine playing up 80s action tropes without worrying about political correctness.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think it's worth thinking what kind of "character" Duke is and what kind of statement he wants to make. I just wish we could have a fun Duke game again. Even if it's completely misogynistic, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have a good Duke game that folks just won't play if their offended then worrying about those same folks preventing said game for being made because if their offended, then everyone else should be. I know i'm in the minority with that opinion (I think) and I'm ok with that.

Editing for clarification: I don't want an intentionally misogynistic game, I just want a game that is fine playing up 80s action tropes without worrying about political correctness.

lol sure what's one more on the pile

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's how to make a good Duke game:

1) Make a fun, fast, oldschool FPS with a bunch of weapons and environmental interactivity
2) Give him fun one-liners that reference famous action movies

Thank you, I will accept my cheque for $1 million now

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

How about do that but make it literally any character other than Duke who sucks. He had exactly one good game and two pretty alright ones and all the rest sucked. (spoilers those two are Duke Nukem 1 and 2 fuckin fight me)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Duke Nukem Manhattan Project was better than Duke Nukum and Duke Nukem 2.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Did any gaming rag write up a good post mortem on DNF? I’d love to read a good writeup on all the shenanigans that went into that game’s nearly 15 year development. Bonus if they interviewed the developers themselves

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Glagha posted:

How about do that but make it literally any character other than Duke who sucks. He had exactly one good game and two pretty alright ones and all the rest sucked. (spoilers those two are Duke Nukem 1 and 2 fuckin fight me)

It's ion fury

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think it's worth thinking what kind of "character" Duke is

Even if it's completely misogynistic, I'm fine with it.

I'd rather have a good Duke game that folks just won't play if their offended then worrying about those same folks preventing said game for being made because if their offended, then everyone else should be.

political correctness.

And i was just talking about incels too

site fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 22, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know I just realized, is Ion Fury gonna be pretty moddable since it's mostly Build engine? How long until someone mods in Ion Furry.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
new duke game should just be you walking in to a room and getting killed by shelly

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Parachute posted:

new duke game should just be you walking in to a room and getting killed by shelly

Weird post.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Did any gaming rag write up a good post mortem on DNF? I’d love to read a good writeup on all the shenanigans that went into that game’s nearly 15 year development. Bonus if they interviewed the developers themselves

This is a pretty good breakdown of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL7HETVAiXY&t=2s

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Nukem: Endangered Species HD, featuring Nolan North as the voice of every character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think there's some good potential to do a "man out of his time" style character arc with Duke where he learns what it means to still be a cool macho dude for the 21st century. It could even be quite funny. But it would have to be written by someone who wasn't already too in love with him at face value.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Or we just let Duke be his small chapter in fps history, slightly larger than the footnote that is most of his contemporaries, and let it be done (forgetting DNF as hard as the Star Wars prequels). Love him or hate him he's as relevant as any other 90s shooter; there's just no reason to bring him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

I think there's some good potential to do a "man out of his time" style character arc with Duke where he learns what it means to still be a cool macho dude for the 21st century. It could even be quite funny. But it would have to be written by someone who wasn't already too in love with him at face value.

It'd have to be written by Coelasquid, she's the one person I trust to write compelling stories about cool macho dudes in the 21st century.