Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've read Perdido Street Station and it's a D&D setting sourcebook without the rules mechanics.

You're in luck, they attached mechanics to it in an issue of Dragon magazine. It was mostly forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Patrick Spens posted:

Thats...extremely hosed up and I did not know that.

I think Lovecraft's mother was eventually institutionalised as well, and he was raised by his aunts. There's a reason inherited disease/degeneracy is a theme in his works I think, and not just because he idolised Edgar Allen Poe. IIRC, for the most part he's actually better about writing women than most of his genre contemporaries, which isn't saying much but still.

I feel while Lovecraft was obviously racist as all hell, his works aren't exactly celebrated by white supremacists, since the theme often is that only the anglo white man has the hubris to explore enough to realise the horror of their utter insignificance in the face of the universe and species that predate humanity and will outlive them while even the superstitious coloured/italian/welsh folks have the sense to keep their heads down and keep away from weird poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Any recommendations on modern weird fiction in a Lovecraftian type of setting? Not necessarily Mythos stuff, but I'm not opposed. Eldritch horrors from beyond, secrets man was not meant to know, hosed up cults devoted to ancient and incomprehensible evils, that kind of thing.

I have a couple of collections of Cthulhu Mythos stories on my Kindle, but that's about it.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

The Laundry Files

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oldpainless posted:

I can’t find anything concrete but I learned he is British which lets face it is practically an admission of Guilt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jabor posted:

Truthfully saying that somebody did a lovely yet legal thing doesn't open you up to a lawsuit.

It does if you don't have evidence and the accusations you're making could damage that person's reputation. It's called defamation.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

oldpainless posted:

I can’t find anything concrete but I learned he is British which lets face it is practically an admission of Guilt

more like oldkingless

BARONS DEF CHARGER posted:

I am now the Lead singer on my little baby druid. But to be fair, my band mates were running into the crowd throwing bottles at them and hitting them with their instruments after I told them not to several times.

I hate being the frontman.

~~~Drop group, start your own band :smug:

Have that fail too.

Die of drug overdose. 

It's the analogy that keeps on giving.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Any recommendations on modern weird fiction in a Lovecraftian type of setting? Not necessarily Mythos stuff, but I'm not opposed. Eldritch horrors from beyond, secrets man was not meant to know, hosed up cults devoted to ancient and incomprehensible evils, that kind of thing.

I have a couple of collections of Cthulhu Mythos stories on my Kindle, but that's about it.

Clive Barker's Books of Blood series? They're a smorgasbord of short stories by a quirky, somewhat goth, extremely British horror writer. They ain't all zingers, but the good ones stick with you. A few weeks ago some goon made a joke referencing "In the Hills, the Cities", and though its been almost 30 years since I read it I remembered it immediately. Some of those stories became entire genres, like Hellraiser. Theres also have a few stories actually in Cthulhu mythos.

Clive Barker was extremely Edgy stuff when I was a teen, but grew into a generic horror franchise. He's one of those "if it seems cliched, it's because he invented that cliche" kinda artists. Books of Blood has lots of weird alt horror variety because they're all short stories , and the good ones overshadow the bad ones. When a story starts to suck, the author can try again with a totally different idea.

That's true with Stephen King short story collections like Skeleton Crew, the lovely ones aren't 800 page slogs like a lovely novel, and when he's in a groove he can make it into a novella like "The Body" and "The Mist".

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

sebmojo posted:

Perdido st station annoyed the poo poo out of me with its endless dreary miserabilism but the guy can def write. City and the city is supposed to be good.

yeah he's really hellbent on trying to prove to you how edgy and gritty he is. I really loved LOVED the ideas that bullets are gun eggs and if you get shot you incubate a Gunbeast inside your body until it bursts out like a wolf. That's fuuuuuucked up, and for as strong an idea as it was, it was like one of 4-7 plot threads going on at the same time.

The way he wrote PSS's main ant-headed woman, ehhhhhhhh, dude seems like he has Issues.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

Truthfully saying that somebody did a lovely yet legal thing doesn't open you up to a lawsuit.

Exaggerating things because you were legitimately in love with someone and are incredibly angry at them for cheating on you definitely could though.

Unfortunately China Mieville is a frequent collaborator with Zak S. Zak is a rapist/abuser/harasser who is currently suing his ex for going public about all the poo poo he did to her. And I’m sure China’s taking notes for when people go public about his own stuff.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Arivia posted:

Unfortunately China Mieville is a frequent collaborator with Zak S. Zak is a rapist/abuser/harasser who is currently suing his ex for going public about all the poo poo he did to her. And I’m sure China’s taking notes for when people go public about his own stuff.

he works with THAT gently caress? okay i undo every positive thing i said about Mieville.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Vorkosigan posted:

The Laundry Files

Seconding this.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

he works with THAT gently caress? okay i undo every positive thing i said about Mieville.

I'm astounded anyone worked with Zack S. It must be because only super-nerds had heard of his shittiness? That had to be the least surprising abuse revelation of my life.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Guess The Thread.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Oops, All Cloacas!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. That little shitweasel really does have tendrils all through geekdom, doesn't he.

Did Mieville ever make a statement about MM and others coming forward about Zak's abuse?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Have you seen China Mieville's mugshot on his book sleeves? Nobody that smug couldn't be guilty of something pretty heinous, imo.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Jeza posted:

Have you seen China Mieville's mugshot on his book sleeves? Nobody that smug couldn't be guilty of something pretty heinous, imo.

Counterpoint, this is the author's photo for Shel Silverstein of The Giving Tree

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Freudian posted:

Counterpoint, this is the author's photo for Shel Silverstein of The Giving Tree

that's it shel, give me that 1920s feral mountain-man 'seen by human eyes' gurn

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd much rather encounter Shel Silverstein in a dark alley than China mieville anywhere

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Shel Silverstein wrote "A Boy Named Sue"

on human skin

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. That little shitweasel really does have tendrils all through geekdom, doesn't he.

Did Mieville ever make a statement about MM and others coming forward about Zak's abuse?

haha of course not

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Freudian posted:

Shel's expression is a lot of things, but it ain't smug.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I'd much rather encounter Shel Silverstein in a dark alley than China mieville anywhere

at the very least, it's guaranteed he has a deeply messed up sex dungeon

can you imagine china mieville in the sack anyway? it'd probably be like wrestling a particularly muscular seal, haha

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Check out Laird Barron, he's definitely contemporary Weird Fiction and cosmic horror.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jeff vandermeer's Ambergris books are good if you like china "bedseal" mieville; annihilation is the book that everyone'll have heard about due to the netflix adaptation, but City of Saints and Madmen is a good start followed by the two sequels

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've been reading Where the Sidewalk Ends to my niece over the last few weeks and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that book as well. Shel is awesome.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Paladinus posted:

Wasn't Theodore Dreiser an abuser? Or am I thinking of Hemingway?

No, Hemingway was the open-minded one.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

canyoneer posted:

I see what you did there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vorkosigan posted:

The Laundry Files

It's getting less Lovecraft as it goes along due to incorporating nonweird fantasy (viz: elves and vampires) and also due to the Horrifying Mysteries of an Uncaring Cosmos being slowly classified and confronted by people who aren't naturally afraid of poo poo like A Really Tall Penguin

Like, I'm still reading each new one cause I want to see where he ends up with it, but that's on me

Stross's A Colder War is good, too, and less of a time investment

I know we just got done dissing Gaiman but I also really liked his A Study In Emerald, which welds Lovecraft and Doyle together in a fun way

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i agree with all of that. later laundry files books are just stross jerking off over a D&D monster manual

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The elves are kind of cool and having to deal with them and their status as of the end of the book almost made me feel sorry for fictional Theresa May. Still glad they've got a less cartoonishly-evil PM now in the series.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Phy posted:

I know we just got done dissing Gaiman but I also really liked his A Study In Emerald, which welds Lovecraft and Doyle together in a fun way

"A Study in Emerald" was the only story worth a drat in that whole collection, because it was a Holmes-style mystery story in a Mythos setting and everyone else wrote "Sherlock Holmes vs. The Monsters".

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

illuminum posted:

the inside of my colon smells of feces

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Guess the thread:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The elves are kind of cool and having to deal with them and their status as of the end of the book almost made me feel sorry for fictional Theresa May. Still glad they've got a less cartoonishly-evil PM now in the series.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I translated a handful of short stories out of Japan that are full-on Mythos or at least Mythos-adjacent. Look for the four-volume Lairs of the Hidden Gods collection, edited by Ken Asamatsu and published by Kurodahan Press.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Freudian posted:

Silverstein was just a huge weird stoner, I'd be amazed if he ever did anything worse than tons of LSD.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm certain virtually all writers are abusers but usually they limit their abuse to drugs and alcohol.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Outrail posted:

I'm certain virtually all writers are abusers but usually they limit their abuse to drugs and alcohol.

And only some of them are ab users.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

canyoneer posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006