Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

This one is being done by the designer of automata, so expect that 4 hours to at least tripled with the multiple paths you might have to take. But it's more looking like this will be the 'biggest' game they've done since w101 which was 15 hours+ in it's own right.

Designer of automata isn't much of a plus in my eyes, but if it's at least decently long (i'm only asking for like 8 hours) then I'll prob burn my last voucher on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Is Platinum the biggest console-focused indie dev? I can't think of any1 comparable in terms of size

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Pikmin 3 made major use of the GamePad for coordinating your Captains.

Was it more useful as a second screen, which would be an issue, or as a touch screen, which we have on Switch?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Was it more useful as a second screen, which would be an issue, or as a touch screen, which we have on Switch?

Pikmin 3 had multiple control schemes. The pro controller and wiimote schemes didn't use it at all.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 22, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

Pike in three had multiple control schemes. The pro controller and wiimote schemes didn't use it at all.

So it's far more feasible to port than other games like Skyward Sword?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So it's far more feasible to port than other games like Skyward Sword?

Porting it should be non-issue

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The lowest right now is $46 for 50 on Raise which isn’t too bad but I also want to find the $85 deal

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

Except for the multiplayer mode in which each player got their own screen.

That could just be made an online mode, but it's Nintendo so come on they aren't gonna do that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

We can only hope. I understand why nothing was said at E3, to better focus on new games, but I do hope the following directs mention something about WiiU ports, let alone ports in general like Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds, among others.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Andrast posted:

Pikmin 3 had multiple control schemes. The pro controller and wiimote schemes didn't use it at all.

You could rest the gamepad on your lap while using wiichuck and have Maximum Control, which is how i played it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought W101 was neat when I played through it but I didnt really understand why people called it a game in the same genre of bayonetta and stuff.

Then I watched a video of someone getting platinum and it was clear that I did not understand even 10% of how I was supposed to play the game. Like bayonetta at least the way I naturally played kind of on a superficial level resembles how you're supposed to play, but in W101 it's like night and day.

Imo that's the second biggest shortcoming on the game (the first biggest was that it was released on the wii U). Like sure there should be things for the player to discover, and swapping between styles is something people familiar with platinum games would instinctively do, but there really should have been more encouragement to switch between formations during a normal playthrough so that a dummy like me would understand how you were supposed to play.

As for astral chain, kamiya did not direct it so combat being good isnt totally guaranteed. Still could be good ofc!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 22, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I thought W101 was not very fun. Having to pick up your group each time you take damage killed the momentum for me. Also drawing shapes with the control stick to morph your heroes was annoying. It was a shame cause I liked everything else but we never able to stay interested long enough to finish the game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wonderful 101 is the best PlatinumGames game, I won't hear otherwise.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is Platinum the biggest console-focused indie dev? I can't think of any1 comparable in terms of size
I think there's a couple, though I don't know they're employee counts like Insomniac and Next level games.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It may well be the best. I think a lot of people didnt take to it because even by character action standards it does not show an inexperienced player how the game is designed to be played. So most players dont even get to see the good part of the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Where oh where is this deal

Most goons say Costco but I live over an hour from the nearest and it seems like a lot of work to ask someone with a Costco membership to buy them for me when I could just wait a couple months and get the same savings

Edit: that might be because I'm a filthy poor and dropping that much on videogames with or without a Costco discount just isn't a thing I can comfortably do

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Len posted:

Most goons say Costco but I live over an hour from the nearest and it seems like a lot of work to ask someone with a Costco membership to buy them for me when I could just wait a couple months and get the same savings

Edit: that might be because I'm a filthy poor and dropping that much on videogames with or without a Costco discount just isn't a thing I can comfortably do

There’s a goon here selling them for the same price, but I just bought the last two :x

It’s only $45 at Costco, so a $10 savings on $100

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Where oh where is this deal

These deals pop up every week if not more

Also pretty sure Costco has the standing $45 for $50 deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This deal is still up as well.

Also the Costco deal is good because they email you the code so if you have a Costco membership there is no reason not to do it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tried swych but it doesn’t work outside the US and even in certain parts of the US (tried a friend’s phone number)

Oh well I’ll have to pay $50 per game instead of $45

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If I had waited another like 10 minutes, I could have saved another $10 dollars.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

If I had waited another like 10 minutes, I could have saved another $10 dollars.

bushisms.txt posted:

I think there's a couple, though I don't know they're employee counts like Insomniac and Next level games.

Next Level is definitely smaller but Insomniac is a good call,

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Intelligent Systems?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Neither of those studios are indie!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I missed the indie part.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Astral Chain looks cool but given Platinum's track record I dunno if it's going to be worth 60 dollars for a 4 hour game.

None of them except MGR are really that short imo. They’re pretty lengthy for character action games.

I’m super excited after the previews today. It looks loving awesome.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Neither of those studios are indie!

They're both independents working on contracts from console holders, just like PlatinumGames.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All of those are only indie on a technicality imo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Indie doesn’t mean anything anymore

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

indie just means "not f2p/engagement-hacking content trickle garbage" to me these days... congrats nintendo, you're still indie in my book.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 22, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ehh I think if all of your games are financed by a major publisher it kind of crosses that line.

Call your favourite dev whatever though, who cares.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

All of those are only indie on a technicality imo

Owning themselves outright to where they can't be desolved into another studio is the best kind of technicality.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

This one is being done by the designer of automata, so expect that 4 hours to at least tripled with the multiple paths you might have to take. But it's more looking like this will be the 'biggest' game they've done since w101 which was 15 hours+ in it's own right.

Yeah this one seems like its got sidequests and a town to explore or something between the fighting

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

Owning themselves outright to where they can't be desolved into another studio is the best kind of technicality.

It's especially important for companies making puzzle games to avoid being desolved.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

EA is the biggest independent by this metric

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

There's a crucial flaw in your reasoning. I'll give you a second to figure it out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Indie developers are defined by their beard-to-jean-size ratio. Above a certain value, congrats, you're indie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's quite frankly a miracle that Platinum is still running strong and I'm glad Nintendo still loves to give them work for their platforms. Same with Suda51 who is subsisting on the goodwill of a few insane people at Nintendo who have no problem greenlighting No More Heroes til the heat death of the galaxy

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I missing something crucial here or is Yoshi for NES really as boring as it seems to be?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Am I missing something crucial here or is Yoshi for NES really as boring as it seems to be?

I kinda like it but it’s definitely the worst of Nintendo’s NES puzzle games. Dr. Mario, Wario’s Woods and Yoshi’s Cookie are all much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I just think in this time of endless corporate consolidation its nice 2 see developers who aren't beholden to any publisher (or self-publishing) & just working as hired guns...may they last a lil longer b4 Disney does the advanced maneuver where their stake in Epic means they can purchase nintendo microsoft & sony

DLC Inc posted:

it's quite frankly a miracle that Platinum is still running strong and I'm glad Nintendo still loves to give them work for their platforms. Same with Suda51 who is subsisting on the goodwill of a few insane people at Nintendo who have no problem greenlighting No More Heroes til the heat death of the galaxy

Grasshopper Manufacture is owned by "GungHo Online Entertainment" (who were formerly owned by Softbank)