Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cool, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If my understanding is correct having pawn, wall, pawn also helps from any oblique shots but I may be wrong on that part.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The best defense in the game is 50 muffalo stacked up on a single tile restriction zone in front of your shooters. Not recommended vs. enemy rocket launchers unless you want a lot of hamburgers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still like chicken armies. Terrifyingly effective, hilarious to watch and relatively easy to create.

I did go for an iguana army in a desert map that had terrible luck for traders for years. Slower but still effective.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One thing I'm quite enjoying about CE is that it makes animals actually really weak against an organized gun line. You can make your own emu war except your guys have KPVs with HE rounds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I keep meaning to try CE, but the combination of working out the nightmare of figuring out which of my mods are CE compatible and which aren't coupled with me being unsure about the balance level of a complete combat overhaul always makes me hesitate.

Generally if a particular mod is bullshit overpowered I can just strip it out but I'd have to build a modpack entirely around CE.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

I keep meaning to try CE, but the combination of working out the nightmare of figuring out which of my mods are CE compatible and which aren't coupled with me being unsure about the balance level of a complete combat overhaul always makes me hesitate.

Generally if a particular mod is bullshit overpowered I can just strip it out but I'd have to build a modpack entirely around CE.

Yeah, the reason I will never touch CE is the hell I will have to go through of finding and applying all of the compatibility bullshit. It just isn't worth the effort/reward ratio to me.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
CE really should have been split in like 4-5 mods, one that added the revised bullet calcs, one for ammo, one for the damage changes, etc.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it sounds vaguely interesting in theory, but having to deal with poo poo like ammo tracking to get the rest is a no sale for me, even before getting into how it breaks almost every other mod.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Coming from DF i was stoked to find that ammo wasn't a concern for pawn weapons at all. Too many headaches with my fuckin archers, man. So yeah gently caress that change.

And I only bought this game like three weeks ago it's taken over my life like Factorio halp.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 23, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arrath posted:

And I only bought this game like three weeks ago it's taken over my life like Factorio halp.

Nice. I got this game back before the game even had wood in it, and I'm still playing it today. It's so good, enjoy it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gotta say I'm fairly glad to have picked it up once it hit v1.0

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Summoner master spell from the rim of magic mod is actually the best animal swarm.

It summons 8ish squirrel sized balls of teeth (Think squigs from warhammer) which proceded to launch themselves at any enemy target, shredding them to bits. If they die they detonate like a grenade.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Has anything major changed since 1.0?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ruggan posted:

There was an update to improve launch times with mods!

It still takes several minutes to launch with my mod list. :downs:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Aside from a mod loading performance patch and some bugfixes, no. On the plus side, it means that the game is in a bit of a golden age of modding right now because of the stable version.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's true, I can't remember the last time I had a crash, the only problems come with mods not playing well together which is rare.

The real good poo poo is how great the QoL mods are. Sure, the magic is great or whatever but the refrigerator mods and the various tabs mods, the RPG inventory mod make the game really shine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I've been trying to play some Dwarf Fortress recently and ugh it's just such a massive pile of jank, I can't go back to it any more :(

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
This game is great. I find the UI to be frustrating as all hell but I'm getting used to it. Usually I have trouble empathizing with my subjects in these games but I've started naming everyone after friends and family and it turns it into the worst Oregon Trail ever. I'm sorry loyal cats, I didn't know a cougar would come and gently caress you up :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Aside from a mod loading performance patch and some bugfixes, no. On the plus side, it means that the game is in a bit of a golden age of modding right now because of the stable version.

64-bit solved 99% of crashes for me. I like large maps with lots of pawns and my mods add quite a few new objects, so I always eventually overran the memory limit of 32-bit.

I'm still pissy about people who were discussing 64-vs-32 bit Rimworld and not understanding that it wasn't a speed/performance question.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
There's still a warning about maps above medium large loving the AI - is that true still? Or can you play on actual large maps?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

There's still a warning about maps above medium large loving the AI - is that true still? Or can you play on actual large maps?

It's still true. The AI for raids and caravans doesn't account of the stupidly massive map sizes, and the game is balanced around the travel times on the smaller maps. The long travel times can lead to visitors starving/passing out getting from the edge of the map to your base, since the AI doesn't "make camp" to eat and sleep. I can't speak for pathing concerns.

Siege raids should honestly function fine as long as they're in siege mode though. They'd probably be more difficult, even, since your pawns will be spending the better part of a day just walking over to their camp if you aren't going to shoot back with your own mortars.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Warmachine posted:

It's still true. The AI for raids and caravans doesn't account of the stupidly massive map sizes, and the game is balanced around the travel times on the smaller maps. The long travel times can lead to visitors starving/passing out getting from the edge of the map to your base, since the AI doesn't "make camp" to eat and sleep. I can't speak for pathing concerns.

This reminds me - has anyone made a mod that affects this? Something that slows down the clock so that pawns can do other things longer without needing to eat/sleep? This would allow for bigger maps since you could walk farther without food/sleep issues.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asimo posted:

Yeah it sounds vaguely interesting in theory, but having to deal with poo poo like ammo tracking to get the rest is a no sale for me, even before getting into how it breaks almost every other mod.

You can turn it off if you don't want it, there is a mod options menu.

Though I would suggest the ammo is pretty key because more exotic ammo types are important for dealing with, say, centipedes, which will bounce most anything you shoot them with that isn't high caliber AP.

I will say that ammo is really quite easy to manage, you build it in packs of 200-500 and it's cheap, and once you set up some weapon assignments the AI does a good job of resupplying itself between fights, the main limitation is how much you can carry with you, especially on expeditions. And for heavy machinegun emplacements and the like, you need to put a dedicated magazine in your bunkers and also protect it to avoid it cooking off when you get shot at. It makes for some design considerations which I enjoy.

Installing it is a bit awkward cos if you use a lot of mods you need compatability patches, but I would say it's a very good fit for a primarily tech based playthrough. Rimsenal has a patch for it and that combined with the CE guns pack is more than enough weapon variety I think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 23, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I kinda like the idea of ammo and all the other stuff, but the idea of hunting down all the compatibility stuff is just :froggonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You probably only really need compatibility for anything that adds guns, otherwise they won't use the new system.

Like I said it's best for a tech focused playthrough cos they usually have compat patches if needed, and you don't really need much stuff to do that theme. I'm using it with rimefeller/rimatomics/hygiene and vamps/werewolves, plus rimsenal and the CE guns. And like a bunch of small QOL stuff like extra furniture and poo poo. I think the only thing that needed patches was rimsenal.

Not sure if the rimatomics late tier turrets and stuff will need a patch but given they're really powerful anyway it might be a nice contrast for them not to have it.

I think once Tiberian Rim gets updated that'd make a really nice companion piece though it would definitely need a compatibility patch.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 23, 2019

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Complications posted:

The Devastator started off only requiring power, then it was felt that was too OP so the mod author switched it to ammo. I'm curious about why they switched it back, but I'd guess that they couldn't get the ammo cost to feel right. While I did like that in batteries, I've found that the Imperial Guard Turrets addon artillery piece called the Thud Gun is much more amusing. It's got a similar range of effect as the Devastator and launches multiple rounds like the Devastator, but the rounds are slower and instead of just blowing everything up it sets everything on fire. There's a little outright damage that it does so batteries aren't completely ineffective against Mechanoids, but I'm found nothing more satisfying than watching a particularly large raid burn rather than vaporize.

Mmm.

Warms my heart it does.

And theirs.
I wonder if the ammo removal was due to breaking changes. I remember a couple betas where the Devastators were useless because the bench you used to fabricate power cells for them was broken. Then the bench was removed a few versions later.

I am somewhat obsessed with finding ridiculous artillery pieces in this game. The various cannon addons are good, and the Thudd gun from Astra Militarum is a personal favorite. In terms of pure gently caress-you artillery though, I don't think anything tops the Yamato Turret that someone modded in. It requires an insane amount of resources and power so it's by definition a victory lap build, but it will instantly vaporize any raid that appears. Or a good chunk of your base if you forget to put it on hold fire and you get a "dropped right on top of you" raid :v:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Using Expanded Artillery and Mortar Accuracy together strikes me as pretty broken. Once I had three of the heavy cannons built I quickly realized that all I needed to make any group of raiders decide to back off is one round of heavy HE shells. Those shells will go exactly where you want'em due to the mortar accuracy mod, so if your placement is good you'll kill about half the raiders outright, and leave the rest crippled or bleeding out

I'm debating whether I should only use the cannons against sieges (because gently caress'em, they're annoying), or get rid of the expanded artillery mod. That or crank the difficulty up to legendary and see if that feels more balanced

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Practically every mod that touches mortars at all breaks them, they're already savagely OP in the vanilla game.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I never used them much before. The first time I tried to build a whole bunch of them I ran into issues where it seemed like one of the mortars would 'claim' all the ammunition in its vicinity, where if you tried to load a different mortar it would give you the "no ammo available" message despite there being a shelf full of shells 2 tiles away. I don't know why it happened, but it turned me off mortars until I decided to try some mods for them. A single vanilla mortar on its own wasn't all that useful, and I got tired of trying to figure out how to make the game let me use the other mortars I built

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A single vanilla mortar is not particualrly useful, but capturing them from sieges and building an array of like, half a dozen of them... Only one in six shots might hit, but you fire six at a time :v:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

That's what I was trying to do, but trying to use any mortar other than the first one that was installed just always gave me the "no unreserved shells" message no matter what I did. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mortars, allowing/unallowing ammo types, putting the shells in different stockpiles/on different shelves, but I could only ever use one mortar. It was weird, I should fire up that save file and see if that's still the case

e: Tried loading the save filed with the modlist present at the time of the save, before the two artillery mods. Same issue, every mortar beyond the first is unable to be loaded. I tried again with my current modlist, and the problem went away. :shrug: Thinking about it, this was probably an issue with Deep Storage and/or While You're Up that somehow got smoothed over with the installation of the artillery mods

Revins fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 23, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

A single vanilla mortar is not particualrly useful, but capturing them from sieges and building an array of like, half a dozen of them... Only one in six shots might hit, but you fire six at a time :v:

They scale AMAZINGLY well, but I really hate committing 6-10 violence capable pawns to indirect fire when I could use them on the firing line. As I tech up, I tend to start using Anime Droids to man things like weapons consoles and mortars, because I don't want explosive, fragile robots up front but they also don't care about hurting people (or anything, really. they're robots).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Build your mortars near the front line, shell them on the approach, then get off and shoot them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Warmachine posted:

They scale AMAZINGLY well, but I really hate committing 6-10 violence capable pawns to indirect fire when I could use them on the firing line. As I tech up, I tend to start using Anime Droids to man things like weapons consoles and mortars, because I don't want explosive, fragile robots up front but they also don't care about hurting people (or anything, really. they're robots).

I usually just use violence capable pawns who have garbage combat skills to do my mortar chuckin'. Johnny 2-Shooting is going to do a lot more damage to raids by lucking out and center-massing an HE shell than he is missing 90% of his assault rifle bullets on the gunline.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Unfinish3d posted:

That's what I was trying to do, but trying to use any mortar other than the first one that was installed just always gave me the "no unreserved shells" message no matter what I did. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mortars, allowing/unallowing ammo types, putting the shells in different stockpiles/on different shelves, but I could only ever use one mortar. It was weird, I should fire up that save file and see if that's still the case

e: Tried loading the save filed with the modlist present at the time of the save, before the two artillery mods. Same issue, every mortar beyond the first is unable to be loaded. I tried again with my current modlist, and the problem went away. :shrug: Thinking about it, this was probably an issue with Deep Storage and/or While You're Up that somehow got smoothed over with the installation of the artillery mods

Maybe a dumb question, but were your mortar shells zoned appropriately for your mortar dudes to access?

90% of the time when there's an issue with pawns not doing something I can figure out why by selecting the pawn and right clicking the object to see what the error shown is (and if there's no error it's probably a work priorities issue).

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure the issue out back when it cropped up. After that I just gave up and continued just using the one mortar to poke at things to provoke them into attacking my base's killbox. I'm pretty sure this was some load order issue between deep storage and while you're up at this point, since reloading the save with my current modlist fixed it and I know I messed around with the load order of things since I last touched that save file

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mzbundifund posted:

This reminds me - has anyone made a mod that affects this? Something that slows down the clock so that pawns can do other things longer without needing to eat/sleep? This would allow for bigger maps since you could walk farther without food/sleep issues.

I've wanted something like this for years but from asking around, most modders seem to be of the opinion that timescales and stuff can't be changed. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Unfinish3d posted:

I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure the issue out back when it cropped up. After that I just gave up and continued just using the one mortar to poke at things to provoke them into attacking my base's killbox. I'm pretty sure this was some load order issue between deep storage and while you're up at this point, since reloading the save with my current modlist fixed it and I know I messed around with the load order of things since I last touched that save file

I build a shelf for every mortar, and enough ammo to fill them all. They still share stacks sometimes though, since each shelf can only hold 2 types of ammo. Never had a problem.

I have had a problem with ammo stockpiles occasionally getting exploded due to chain reactions after a lucky shot from enemy mortars or just an idiot getting mad and punching one. After the second or third time this happened I started building stone isolation chambers for them.

A mishap can still take out some of them, but is unlikely to destroy the whole complex. Just have to remember to not roof over the mortars themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Ms Adequate posted:

I've wanted something like this for years but from asking around, most modders seem to be of the opinion that timescales and stuff can't be changed. :(

Custom scenario > add part > stat multiplier > hunger/rest rate modifier.

Seriously people the scenario editor is your friend, you can modify virtually anything you can see on the stat panel with it.

If you wanted to you could also make the pawns faster if you want them to move further in the same amount of time.