Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey
What if

The girl has something to do with Control :mrgw:

Oh dear god that's not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey
What if

Don’t you put that evil on us

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hay guys what if control went back in time and became the Borg huh

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey
What if

The entire show is just Picard talking to people who knew :spock: to try and learn clues on how to deal with this Control threat.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Picard show actually looks like it could own. Plenty to nitpick if you're so inclined, and they could totally drop the ball still, but the trailer, in contrast to every Discovery trailer, actually inspires hope. That's amazing.

That shot of Seven of Nine has inspired me to watch all of Voyager. The only Star Trek series I haven't seen every episode of.

How big a mistake am I making?

Maybe a long bland "more TNG" style show will be refreshing after things like Discovery (which I do quite like) and modern TV in general.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Eiba posted:

That shot of Seven of Nine has inspired me to watch all of Voyager. The only Star Trek series I haven't seen every episode of.

Maybe a long bland "more TNG" style show will be refreshing after things like Discovery (which I do quite like) and modern TV in general.

About a quarter of it is really good. The remainder bounces between a soulless copy of TNG and a manila envelope in a beige room.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eiba posted:

You'll hate yourself but you should watch all if it.

Experience bij.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
There's a lot of it that is like unflavored oatmeal, especially in the beginning. I like Voyager, especially specific episodes, but there's a lot of chaff to get through. It was begging to be a serial show and was held back by the apparently absolute requirement that it stay episodic. Not to mention some of the bad ideas they ran with. Also I think once or twice in the last season or two they did a "Previously on Voyager" bit for stuff that was never actually on Voyager. Either that or I missed an episode somewhere and my bad memory has made me think that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Eiba posted:

Picard show actually looks like it could own. Plenty to nitpick if you're so inclined, and they could totally drop the ball still, but the trailer, in contrast to every Discovery trailer, actually inspires hope. That's amazing.

If you liked Discovery, you aren't all that picky so Voyager would be a good watch.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Peachfart posted:

If you liked Discovery, you aren't all that picky so Voyager would be a good watch.

Can we please stop with this poo poo? Some people like Discovery and it doesn't mean their tastes are OBJECTIVELY TERRIBLE, it just means they enjoyed an incarnation of a show you didn't.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
both shows are at least as senseless so it's not unreasonable to conclude that if you like you might like the other

By volume there are more good hours of Voyager I'm certain

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
so I’m watching voyager and

:magical: :confused: :magical:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That was pretty neat, always good to have a bit of Borg body horror.

They never mention that baby again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MikeJF posted:

That was pretty neat, always good to have a bit of Borg body horror.

They never mention that baby again.

He quickly grows up into a 29th century Borg, which is an admittedly interesting premise that I’m sure Voyager will punt sometime in the next 30 minutes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zurui posted:

Can we please stop with this poo poo? Some people like Discovery and it doesn't mean their tastes are OBJECTIVELY TERRIBLE, it just means they enjoyed an incarnation of a show you didn't.

That's right! As a huge dumbass, I love Voyager.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He quickly grows up into a 29th century Borg, which is an admittedly interesting premise that I’m sure Voyager will punt sometime in the next 30 minutes.

Oh sorry thinking of something else.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Oh sorry thinking of something else.

Were you thinking of the Borg baby from Q Who?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
No, he's thinking of "Collective" - Voyager finds a malfunctioning Borg ship where the only survivors are a half-dozen child drones, including an infant. They beam the infant to sickbay and then never mention it again. It's not even a standard Voyager "We never mention the events of this episode again" reset, it literally vanishes from the story between scenes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus Christ, Paris is a smug unlikable sexist racist jerk. I remember him being kind of bland, not an irredeemable turbo-rear end in a top hat. Putting aside his overt sexual harassment "womanizing" at work, he just would not stop making racist Indian jokes to Chakotay. His whole character in the pilot is just shockingly off putting.

I guess there's a lot about the pilot episode of Voyager that doesn't tonally match the rest of the series. I know I saw this when it first came out at least, but there's so much I don't remember so it should be a fun journey.

I'm reminded how much I love the premise. I've heard some opinions to the effect that it should have been a desperate Battlestar Galactica-esque journey, and it is a pity that it wasn't more serialized, but specifically their relative power and comfort I actually really appreciate. This is a state of the art Federation vessel. If they were lounging in luxury conditions their whole journey, it would be cool and good.

It's a little island of post-scarcity Utopia on the other side of the galaxy, all by itself. That's cool as heck.

I'm making a point of appreciating that premise now, because I remember it being very unevenly explored after this. We've already got our first incredibly awkward attempt at exploring scarcity with water being the scarce resource for warp capable people.

I also love the Intrepid class. Putting aside it's association with a "meh" show, I think it's a great little design and scale. It feels cute and snug, like the Orville, and it's a good contrast to the scale and feel of the Galaxy class luxury cruise ship "city in space."

Peachfart posted:

If I'm okay with interminable whiz-bang action, embarrassingly "cool" dialog, and awkwardly explored in your face edgy moral dilemmas I'll appreciate "manila envelope in a beige room" Voyager?

If I just blindly liked bad things I would have appreciated your post more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eiba posted:

We've already got our first incredibly awkward attempt at exploring scarcity with water being the scarce resource for warp capable people.

In retrospect that was one of the most representative things of the whole pilot. An idea that sounds like it could be reasonable at first glance, but makes zero sense at all if thought about even a little, then is unceremoniously dropped.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eiba posted:

I also love the Intrepid class. Putting aside it's association with a "meh" show, I think it's a great little design and scale. It feels cute and snug, like the Orville, and it's a good contrast to the scale and feel of the Galaxy class luxury cruise ship "city in space."

Honestly, it should've been smaller. Fifteen decks and a third of a kilometre long for 150 people? So every deck has an average of 3 people on duty every shift?

Something more like the Nova would've been better, I reckon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 23, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m about halfway through the list of 7 episodes someone here provided, and uh 7 kinda owns. Jeri Ryan’s great right from the start and this episode where she goes through multiple personalities is a good showcase for her range, even if the plot’s a bit thin.

I really want to see Ryan play a Ferengi on some show after she’s done with Picard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, Voyager really should have been seven seasons of Star Trek: Equinox.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Call me easy to please but I'm enjoying most of Voyager. There's a few episodes that are stupid, and some more that are downright bad, but by and large it's pretty inoffensive and sometimes real, real good. I feel like most of the animosity comes from the absolute squandering of the scarcity premise that was focused on so heavily in the beginning (negative eighty five photon torpedoes) and the admittedly larger quantity of boring-to-bad episodes than DS9 or TNG (even though most people admit TNG has a scant few good episodes in seasons 1 and 2 but it gets a pass for that while Voyager doesn't)
Like yeah, the show has its problems, but so do all of the Treks. The only sin i can't forgive Voyager for is how terrible Chakotay is, and that's not even entirely the writers' faults, since Beltran openly admitted to phoning it in from seasons 2-7

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it should've been smaller. Fifteen decks and a third of a kilometre long for 150 people? So every deck has an average of 3 people on duty every shift?

I assume some of those decks would just be like "the power generator (takes up 90% of the deck)" or "the cargo bay" or something. Right???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

curiousTerminal posted:

and the admittedly larger quantity of boring-to-bad episodes than DS9 or TNG

This is the biggest hurdle for me. Even when TNG and DS9 turn in subpar or outright bad episodes you can usually fall back on the crew interactions if you’re looking for something to enjoy. You can’t really say the same for Voyager because everyone other than Ryan and Picardo is phoning it in and none of them have any chemistry with each other to speak of.

I’m no stranger to Bad Trek either, I watch and (sometimes) enjoy Disco, and I watched Enterprise religiously as it aired. But even those two have little redeeming moments where either the characters or the plot are interesting enough to hold your attention for more than a few minutes. There’s an inescapable blandness and malaise to 90% of Voyager that just kinda sours the entire experience. Even in these cherry-picked Seven episodes I’m watching, my eyes just start to glaze over anytime someone other than 7, The Doc, or Tuvok is featured. It’s just a ship full of boring characters.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

curiousTerminal posted:

Call me easy to please but I'm enjoying most of Voyager. There's a few episodes that are stupid, and some more that are downright bad, but by and large it's pretty inoffensive and sometimes real, real good. I feel like most of the animosity comes from the absolute squandering of the scarcity premise that was focused on so heavily in the beginning (negative eighty five photon torpedoes) and the admittedly larger quantity of boring-to-bad episodes than DS9 or TNG (even though most people admit TNG has a scant few good episodes in seasons 1 and 2 but it gets a pass for that while Voyager doesn't)
Like yeah, the show has its problems, but so do all of the Treks. The only sin i can't forgive Voyager for is how terrible Chakotay is, and that's not even entirely the writers' faults, since Beltran openly admitted to phoning it in from seasons 2-7

For me the difference is the number of episodes you’ll just skip on a rewatch as compared to other Trek shows. Voyager has so many more of those.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Voyager episode 2: Thanks to time shenanigans it turns out Voyager is actually the cause of the Problem of the Week we're investigating! Torres learns about teamwork.
Voyager episode 3: Thanks to time shenanigans it turns out Voyager is actually the cause of the Problem of the Week we're investigating! Everyone forgets though and nothing is learned.
Voyager episode 4: Nelix gets his loving lungs stolen.

This is going to be quite a trip at this rate.

Nessus posted:

I assume some of those decks would just be like "the power generator (takes up 90% of the deck)" or "the cargo bay" or something. Right???
Honestly, that's a fine explanation for my purposes. It doesn't bother me. You can live in a small section of a huge ship.

People give Discovery poo poo for the turbo lift scenes, but it's a drat space ship. Volume is probably not the limiting engineering issue for a ship build in space for space travel. Giant empty areas for experimental modular science poo poo actually kinda makes sense.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Do people really give Discovery poo poo for conversations happening in turbolifts going long? Like, the time from one deck to another has been the length of an exchange since TOS. gently caress right off.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zurui posted:

Do people really give Discovery poo poo for conversations happening in turbolifts going long? Like, the time from one deck to another has been the length of an exchange since TOS. gently caress right off.
They give it poo poo for the exterior shots of the turbolifts where they're zooming around in a huge empty void.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zurui posted:

No, the Disco turbolift thing stems from several shots that show the turbolift cars zooming through an absolutely cavernous empty space that makes little physical sense given the size of the ship. It’s pretty ridiculous looking, but it’s ultimately just a bad fx decision.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/vfmyeBs.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Lf0yTeR.mp4

WHEEEE

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Grand Fromage posted:

In retrospect that was one of the most representative things of the whole pilot. An idea that sounds like it could be reasonable at first glance, but makes zero sense at all if thought about even a little, then is unceremoniously dropped.

I mean, it definitely could have been an interesting thing, this race that somehow has shooty spaceships, but so little understanding of science that they don't get how easy it is to get more or less unlimited water from hydrogen, which should be fairly easy with their level of technology. Which then leads to the revelation later on that their entire peoples had been a slave race to the people who built the ships they now use, having risen up against their oppressors and overthrown them, seizing their technology for themselves, but more or less piloting them by rote learning and borderline cargo-cult understanding of what's now their own tech without understanding any of the underlying fundamental principles, which also means said technology is breaking down and deteriorating faster than it should be, because they can't really fix anything serious, which is, obviously, a huge threat to the well-being of their people as a result. Thus giving Voyager an in on a diplomatic angle and possible peace with what they had thought to just be savage thugs.

It being Voyager, of course, it actually turned out like frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttt.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

Plus shuttlebays, torpedo bays - the impression I always got was that the engineering decks on most ships are all equipment and storage, and the actual livable areas are mostly only in the saucer section.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah. But even so Voyager is ridiculously huge for its size.

The D is too but you can get away with it better when it's meant to be self-sustaining for a decade.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean, it definitely could have been an interesting thing, this race that somehow has shooty spaceships, but so little understanding of science that they don't get how easy it is to get more or less unlimited water from hydrogen, which should be fairly easy with their level of technology.

The other problem is that space has giant chunks of ice that just move around in it, so they'd probably find those, at least

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

drat, Eye of the Needle was good. Great, even. I'm glad there's an honestly fantastic episode just 7 episodes into Voyager, otherwise I might get disheartened by all the prolonged technobabble. The episode was just a series of changing emotional perspectives on their situation, everyone just walks from set to set on the ship and talks, but it comes together so well. Is this episode to Voyager what Duet is to DS9? The Romulan character was fantastic.

I kind of want to look up a best of Voyager list, but I'd rather be surprised when the gems turn up. Is Eye of the Needles as well regarded as I think it should be?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I didn't remember it until you mentioned it, but Eye of the Needle was a decent episode.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 23, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is the biggest hurdle for me. Even when TNG and DS9 turn in subpar or outright bad episodes you can usually fall back on the crew interactions if you’re looking for something to enjoy. You can’t really say the same for Voyager because everyone other than Ryan and Picardo is phoning it in and none of them have any chemistry with each other to speak of.

This is definitely true. Enterprise is probably just as bad as Voyager, but I liked the characters/actors better, and that carried the show for me. Voyager I just got bored with and gave up. Even after 7 joined, it just made it more obvious how boring everyone else was.

Eiba posted:

drat, Eye of the Needle was good. Great, even. I'm glad there's an honestly fantastic episode just 7 episodes into Voyager, otherwise I might get disheartened by all the prolonged technobabble.

I don't remember that episode specifically, but Voyager is the only '90s Trek show that ended up getting worse and worse as it went on, overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ko..Kojima-san??!?