Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
liverpool paid a fortune for el hadji diouf, who went a whole season without scoring, and spat on fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mutu was pretty terrible at Chelsea. 20 million or something for 5 goals, a lot of cocaine, and a ten year long lawsuit

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Jo is a legitimate striker who isn’t quite PL quality beside that one purple patch for Everton

Savio is still the worst PL transfer I’ve ever seen

ali dia played 1 premier league game :v:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Park Chu Young cost a not insignificant amount of money and was such a shithouse that he never got a sniff at the first team in 3 years.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bewbies posted:

liverpool paid a fortune for el hadji diouf, who went a whole season without scoring, and spat on fans

Then he moved to Sunderland and Keane’s introduction of him was “this guy’s a oval office so he’ll fit right in here”. 0 goals

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EHD is a major oval office, if you weren’t around for his halcyon days you missed

-spitting on everyone including an 11 year old
-mocking a man with a broken leg to his face
-racially abusing a ballboy
-gets intentionally sent off for Bolton so he can play for Senegal

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

bewbies posted:

Uhhh i think you will find he was our top scorer in the League Cup that year :colbert:

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

skasion posted:

Mutu was pretty terrible at Chelsea. 20 million or something for 5 goals, a lot of cocaine, and a ten year long lawsuit

Mutu was cool and Chelsea were the cunts in this scenario.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bewbies posted:

But we did get a bunch of amazing gifs out of it, so Diouf was worth it in the end

We all tripped El Hadji Diouf

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

fat gay nonce posted:

And in every scenario.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

fat gay nonce posted:

I still don’t understand how he got stuck having to pay the whole transfer fee. It didn’t make sense for him to have to pay the transfer fee in the first place, and even if he had to pay it, it should have been a tiny fraction of what he cost. That whole saga was bizarre.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol I just read his Wikipedia article. Can't believe he got caught doping again six years after getting banned for it at Chelsea. What a guy.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, Chelsea should’ve definitely just cancelled the contract. Having to pay back all that money couldn’t have helped his personal issues at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Didn't he just go back to Romania and not pay it because there was no way to make him?

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Fekir to Betis looks to be wrapped up. Lo Celso to Spurs should follow shortly

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

hadji murad posted:

Yeah, Chelsea should’ve definitely just cancelled the contract. Having to pay back all that money couldn’t have helped his personal issues at all.

He wasn’t even banned for that long. Chelsea got most of what they bargained for. The whole thing was really bizarre.

Jose posted:

Didn't he just go back to Romania and not pay it because there was no way to make him?

I think I remember hearing on Football Weekly that he just hid all his assets with his wife.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

Bebe was a Jorge Mendes client, wasn't he? As objectionable as it is, I can see the reasoning for giving Mendes a sweetener since that guy usually represents some good, high tier players.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure by that point he'd made absolute bank on the likes of Ronaldo and Nani, possibly also Anderson?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Bundy posted:

Yeah but I'm pretty sure by that point he'd made absolute bank on the likes of Ronaldo and Nani, possibly also Anderson?

Have you never read anything about how rich people are? More money > less money

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/1153413281698209793

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not quite ready to be bolded but looks pretty much done

https://twitter.com/KRISKROS5/status/1153630065177038850

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

That’s just one new face unless there’s a mid 40s guy signing

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Jose posted:

that dude does not wear his clothes backwards, unreliable source

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

now its bold

https://twitter.com/NUFC/status/1153712237141512194?s=20

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

#9 shirt, no pressure

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Nobody knows for sure but it seems possible that the nepotism surrounding Fekir's transfer to Real Betis might have contributed to the last-minute collapse of his Liverpool transfer. At some point before that his family took over representing him and have been making those kinds of demands, so it's not impossible. The whole thing was just weird.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres definitely something strange going on. Its not like Fekir's quality was in doubt a year ago, but the way in which the move collapsed and the fact that hes gone from a top 3 French side to a mid-table Spanish one for a third of the money that Liverpool offered suggests that something isn't being said about him.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I thought his knees were extra dodgy?

Also I think Fekirs contract was winding down

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 23, 2019

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

£40m for a striker who scored 7 goals in the Bundesliga last season, fucks sake.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Shrapnig posted:

£40m for a striker who scored 7 goals in the Bundesliga last season, fucks sake.

tbf he's only 22 but it has to be a huge kick in the balls when you're going from Rondon and Perez to this guy

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gorn Myson posted:

Theres definitely something strange going on. Its not like Fekir's quality was in doubt a year ago, but the way in which the move collapsed and the fact that hes gone from a top 3 French side to a mid-table Spanish one for a third of the money that Liverpool offered suggests that something isn't being said about him.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I thought his knees were extra dodgy?

Also I think Fekirs contract was winding down

I thought the failure was due to what the medical exam uncovered about Fekir's knees as well. From what I remember, most of the reliable ITKs were saying that Liverpool got so spooked about potential long term issues that they tried to restructure the fee they would have paid to Lyon and Aulas told Liverpool to pound sand.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Yeah but he’s the best striker in Europe mate and we’re winning the league!!!!!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tbh I’m frankly baffled Perez went for 30m then we dropped 40m on a guy who is just a little younger but completely unproven in the PL and hasn’t exactly blown up the bundesliga

I expect some Steve Bruce signings soon, sign up Carroll, Sturridge, Welbeck and maybe Ings and you’ve surely got at least 1 passable striker fit at a time?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

€40m because thats loads better lol. the clubs were in negotiations for months over how the deal is structured so i assume its like €10m a season over 4 years or something

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

On the one hand it seems really weird for Newcastle to have gone all in on this guy, but on the other it also seemed very important to Newcastle fans that they break their transfer record, so I guess they had to do it with someone.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Brony Car posted:

I thought the failure was due to what the medical exam uncovered about Fekir's knees as well. From what I remember, most of the reliable ITKs were saying that Liverpool got so spooked about potential long term issues that they tried to restructure the fee they would have paid to Lyon and Aulas told Liverpool to pound sand.
Yeah but there has still been a lot of hype over him since and everyone knew he was available at a cut price but the only club willing to gamble on him was Real Betis. Its just weird, it would be completely in character for a PL team to go in for him but no one did.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Who is Fekir’s agent?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah but there has still been a lot of hype over him since and everyone knew he was available at a cut price but the only club willing to gamble on him was Real Betis. Its just weird, it would be completely in character for a PL team to go in for him but no one did.

that transfer has west ham written all over it its a bit strange they didn't

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

On the one hand it seems really weird for Newcastle to have gone all in on this guy, but on the other it also seemed very important to Newcastle fans that they break their transfer record, so I guess they had to do it with someone.

They broke it in January with Almiron.

Prior to that it was Michael Owen in 2005 which is hilarious though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Still I agree with other posters, it feels like Newcastle probably could have got someone with a good PL track record in for that money. All very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Who is Fekir’s agent?

It used to be a guy named Jean-Pierre Bernes but now I think it's his dad, which is usually pretty suspicious.