Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Payndz posted:

A question that Seven asked in 'The Voyager Conspiracy'! (So why did Voyager have those special bombs aboard, anyway?)

Cause Tri cobalt device sounds cool. When Janeway picked the ship's inventory at space dock she saw that available and was like "Mommy likey"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Even beyond that, I never understood why they couldn't just leave a couple people there to blow it up and get everyone else home. Let Janeway die if she wants to so badly but maybe don't drat Jimmy The Sanitation Officer to a lifetime in the Neelix galaxy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Even beyond that, I never understood why they couldn't just leave a couple people there to blow it up and get everyone else home. Let Janeway die if she wants to so badly but maybe don't drat Jimmy The Sanitation Officer to a lifetime in the Neelix galaxy

Heck, make staying behind to get other people out be the reason why voyager is trapped. Change it so there were a shitton of ships from across the galaxy grabbed by the Array, and they need a large ship putting its full power output into the device to send them back.

After a short Trek Morality Debate, Voyager ends up as the last ship left at the Array, with the crew trying to juryrig the system with some shuttles or some poo poo to go home themselves, but then the kazon attack, the array gets destroyed and they're stuck.

It'd add a bit more agency on the part of voyager's crew, and that's always nice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Heck, make staying behind to get other people out be the reason why voyager is trapped. Change it so there were a shitton of ships from across the galaxy grabbed by the Array, and they need a large ship putting its full power output into the device to send them back.

After a short Trek Morality Debate, Voyager ends up as the last ship left at the Array, with the crew trying to juryrig the system with some shuttles or some poo poo to go home themselves, but then the kazon attack, the array gets destroyed and they're stuck.

It'd add a bit more agency on the part of voyager's crew, and that's always nice.

Jesus you want them to right a third draft of the pilot of a Star Trek show to make the premise believable and good? What are they made of writers?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The would be no way to verify it from the other end. If it failed or was stopped you'd basically be handing a nuclear bomb to whatever fool next stumbled upon it.

Have a probe do it. Or get someone to stay behind. Maybe, you know, the captain, taking responsibility for her decisions, instead of foisting it on her crew. The burden of duty and all that poo poo.

corn in the bible posted:

Exactly.

I get it though. I mean, otherwise, you wouldn't have a show. But it should at least come up that Janeway hosed everyone over for something that she should have been willing to take the fall for.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

The Bloop posted:

Jesus you want them to right a third draft of the pilot of a Star Trek show to make the premise believable and good? What are they made of writers?

Just find/replace all the drat farm scenes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evek posted:

Just find/replace all the drat farm scenes.

Hachi Macuchimoya!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cause Tri cobalt device sounds cool. When Janeway picked the ship's inventory at space dock she saw that available and was like "Mommy likey"

This is canon now.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Looking forward to seeing a parade of TNG, DS9, and VOY alumni in XXL captain/admiral uniforms.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
As long as Mulgrew's hair is the same as in OitNB I'm totally down.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love the guy, but a XXL uniform probably isn’t going to cut it for Frakes

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/23/star-trek-picard-cast-reveal-more-show-and-character-details/

So good tidbits from this discussion:

quote:

All the publicity materials released before SDCC depicted the future Jean-Luc Picard home at his family vineyard, however contrary to what the “First Duty” exhibition would have you believe, Sir Patrick Stewart made it clear Picard was ready to go (via IGN):

In the trailer, he does say he tried to make his home in the vineyard, in the winery of Chateau Picard, but never felt it was home. His home is somewhere else…space.

Stewart elaborated on this to TVLine:

His discontent and unsettled nature was present from the moment the camera rolled and I hope will be evident to the audience that all is not well with him. Despite living in a beautiful place and having a good job and making gorgeous wine and working with two beautiful Romulan people, it is not enough.

Speaking to ET, Sir Patrick gave some insight into Picard’s backstory:

Retirement is not what he was looking for, not what he wanted. It was an impulsive act that put him in this situation and he has regretted it and lived with a certain amount of guilt about it for many years. That is where we pick up the show.

quote:

One of the big surprises in the Picard trailer from SDCC was the appearance of Brent Spiner’s Data, who was last seen sacrificing himself at the end of Star Trek Nemesis. Patrick Stewart talked to IGN about how that has impacted Picard and is woven into the show:

Jean-Luc carries a lot of guilt about how Data died, and he sacrificed himself for the captain. It was a sudden and urgent snap decision, but that has weighed heavily on Picard all the years since. And that becomes one of the central motivators of what Jean-Luc does in this new series.

Speaking to TVLine, Brent Spiner clarified his two appearances in the trailer, both in disassembled form and speaking at the end:

In that drawer [as seen in the trailer] I think is B-4…Data is indeed on the show…He isn’t in every episode. He makes some appearances. But he is in the show in other ways.

quote:

And speaking to IGN, Spiner offered a little more of a clue as to Data’s part in Picard:

I would say no [to Data’s evolution continuing]. I don’t think he evolves on this show…Data died. He is in the show, but I don’t want to give you the idea that he is every episode or in a lot of episodes. But he is in the show. What you think may be what happens, is not what happens.

quote:

Hugh is a leader of free Borg
Another returning surprise at SDCC was Jonathan Del Arco who played Hugh, the Borg that Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-D freed from the collective. While he didn’t appear in the pilot, there was a Borg cube. In the media interviews, Del Arco confirmed that Hugh’s story picks up where it left off in the TNG episode “Descent, Part 2,” leading a group of freed Borg drones:

(via TVLine): I can confirm I am still part Borg and that I am a developed human version from the last time I saw [Picard], in which we were stranded on a planet and Lore was killed…as they are leaving the planet and I say “what are we going to do now, we have no leader” and Picard says “I don’t think that’s true.” The implication being that in TNG I end up with this colony of Borg and all I can say is he has developed further in his leadership capacities.

(via IGN): He is still a Borg – part Borg – and he always will be. I think if you want to describe an individual as someone who is free-thinking, then yes, but he is still strangely collective-minded. He cares so much for those around him that has kind of become a big part of his life. [Stewart interjects “including Borg”] Yes, including Borg, yeah, without saying too much. So, I think he has evolved as a human being.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Zurui posted:

Can we please stop with this poo poo? Some people like Discovery and it doesn't mean their tastes are OBJECTIVELY TERRIBLE, it just means they enjoyed an incarnation of a show you didn't.

I mean, it's at least subjectively terrible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All those quotes sound pretty promising.

I'm hoping that this show ends up not involving the actual Borg collective itself, but rather Borg survivors and idiots messing around with recovered Borg technology.

quote:

Despite living in a beautiful place and having a good job and making gorgeous wine and working with two beautiful Romulan people

That's interesting - I wonder if it implies Romulan refugees were taken in and resettled throughout the Federation.

I hope they tackle it with the same subtlety as The Good Place.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 24, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So two of the Romulans are actually with Picard before this girl arrives and spurs him into action? Maybe Picard opened the vineyard estate to some Romulan refugees. It also sounds like Data will appear in flashbacks or in-universe archival stuff, with Picard actually interacting with B4.

I wasn’t crazy about the Borg reappearing, but following the Hugh thread and tying it in with Seven and Picard advocating for their rights as people could be cool as hell.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Seems pretty likely the "Data" we saw speaking in the trailer is a holodeck program then; an indulgence of Captain Picard perhaps.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The DS9 character who cameos should be Morn.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've got it, this is how they'll get Picard back into space

Picard is happy tending his vineyard, but they're going to make the whole area into a power plant
So they send Admiral Kira Nerys to evacuate him
But he just keeps distracting her with old stories, and refuses to go
And for a while Kira agrees with him, and even helps him build his new grape-stomping vat
But then she realizes she HAS to get him out of there, so when it's done, she sets fire to the vineyard
And Picard breaks down crying and screaming about how that's the way his entire family died
He rebuilt the farmhouse where they burned, board by board, with his own hands, to be free of that memory
And then this Bajoran BITCH comes and lights it all back on fire again
His grief and rage come to a boil as the grapes burn all around them
And he grabs Kira's phaser and loving vaporizes her, without so much as a pithy Shakespeare quote
And he thinks he sees his brother and young nephew in the flames, looking down at him
But they aren't pleased, in fact they look horrified at what he's done
But there's no way back now, what's done is done and he just loving murdered someone
So he calls in a few favors from Vash and escapes Earth aboard a cruise liner, disguised as a Bolian
But he's discovered when it's been four entire days and he hasn't destroyed the toilet with a Bolian mega-poo poo
So he fights his way onto a shuttle (requiring three more murders) and escapes to Sela's warbird
And that's where our story begins.

It's so obvious they can't NOT do it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Vash named after Vash the Stampede, or did that series come much later? I know a bunch of TNG writers were otaku.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just started watching Legends of Tomorrow and them name dropping Vash was the best "we know our audience are total nerds" moment I can recall in a show

It was so much better than OBVIOUS POP CULTURE REFERENCE *laugh track* in certain other shows

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Is Vash named after Vash the Stampede, or did that series come much later? I know a bunch of TNG writers were otaku.

Wiki seems to indicate that the anime/manga/whichever appeared about five years after Captain's Holiday (TNG), Vash's first appearance.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Memory Alpha posted:

Vash was named after Susan Vash, a casting director whom Ira Steven Behr worked with on the television series Once a Hero. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion)

Trigun comic started in mid 90s but nobody in the west knew about it until the show aired on CN in the early 00s. Either way, too late for anything to do with mid-TNG.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Data's memories were loaded into a holoprogram, but the program is fading or corrupting or whatever. He looks fat and weird because of data (lol) corruption, and "I don't want the game to end" is because each time Picard ends the program might be the last time it's stable enough to run again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I tend to agree that 'Data' is a holographic simulation, or a dream, or something like that.

Interesting though that B-4 was disassembled?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I tend to agree that 'Data' is a holographic simulation, or a dream, or something like that.

Interesting though that B-4 was disassembled?

People found him insuffrably annoying.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Blast Fantasto posted:

The DS9 character who cameos should be Morn.

Though there are other DS9 cameos I would really, really want to see (Andrew Robinson), if the show decides to toss any kind of bone whatsoever at DS9, it'll probably just be a cutaway shot of Morn sitting at some space bar somewhere.

Edit: scene - aged Picard is waylaid on some dingy old trading station in some seedy sector, waiting on his contact with the free Borg or whatever. One of his sexy new crew members (Romulan katana dude or the James Holden knock-off) taps him on the shoulder and pulls him away from the bar to meet up with their contact. "Thanks, New Number One," Picard's raspy old man voice says quietly. "You really saved me. The guy next to me just. kept. taaaaalking." Picard and Sexy Crewmember step out of the frame and we see remorseful Morn sitting next to Picard's empty barstool, holding up a drink and looking crestfallen.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 24, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I want to see Quark’s wrinkly old lobes visiting Chateau Picard to pick up a case of Jean-Luc’s wine, trying to convince him he can make a big profit by marketing it as ~*handmade*~ by the Federation’s greatest living hero.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zesty posted:

If there's one thing the Borg needs, it's every single thing about them to be explained to the audience. Leave no stone unturned. The more we see and the more we know about every detail the better.

In the STP Writer's Room:

"Whenever The Borg are not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's The Borg?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to see Quark’s wrinkly old lobes visiting Chateau Picard to pick up a case of Jean-Luc’s wine, trying to convince him he can make a big profit by marketing it as ~*handmade*~ by the Federation’s greatest living hero.

Well, he's not wrong. That poo poo would sell like mad. If it wasn't already allocated to the dozens of people who run organizations Picard actually likes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wasn’t crazy about the Borg reappearing, but following the Hugh thread and tying it in with Seven and Picard advocating for their rights as people could be cool as hell.

I could certainly see that being the "injustice" that was mentioned at some point. Picard, being someone who was formerly Borg himself, would be an ideal spokesperson to advocate for their rights, along with 7 and Hugh. It's certainly a very TNG idea, almost too similar to other episodes, but the long history involved would help it feel unique. They could even throw people like us a bone and have him talk about how much he hated the Borg in First Contact and how he's changed since then.

I mean, they will probably go a dumber route, but there are seeds of something good here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's the year 2019, so while we're all sounding quite positive about the general premise of the show and it having a message to convey to the modern world about refugees, there will invariably be some unanswered reactionary undercurrent to it that undermines the entire point.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Drone posted:

It's the year 2019, so while we're all sounding quite positive about the general premise of the show and it having a message to convey to the modern world about refugees, there will invariably be some unanswered reactionary undercurrent to it that undermines the entire point.

I'm not exactly sure this is a "2019" thing. Tons of media like X-Men and even Star Trek's own attempts at it have fallen into that trap.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Astroman posted:

In the STP Writer's Room:

"Whenever The Borg are not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's The Borg?"

Go ahead and print that idea out on paper. Then leave it on the floor on your way out.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I watched Nemesis last night and now, keep in mind I've watched it like 3 or 4 times before because I was bored and I really hate it but all of a sudden it was good? Was I wrong all those other times? WTF? What happened? I actually like the Shinzon character as portrayed by Tom Hardy whereas I always thought it was complete poo poo?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Croatoan posted:

I watched Nemesis last night and now, keep in mind I've watched it like 3 or 4 times before because I was bored and I really hate it but all of a sudden it was good? Was I wrong all those other times? WTF? What happened? I actually like the Shinzon character as portrayed by Tom Hardy whereas I always thought it was complete poo poo?

I like some of the music for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Croatoan posted:

No it’s still poo poo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nuff said.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
:shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lol god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing DW-Link
Feb 14, 2019

by VideoGames

MikeJF posted:

Nuff said.

Damming evidence, this.