Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The new Marvel Alliance has a member of the Inhumans on the roster, but nobody actually likes the Inhumans. If you do then your name is Ike Perlmutter. Surely they could have put in Squirrel-Girl instead?

She'd be too overpowered compared to the other heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Squirrel Girl should be the Zantetsuken of Marvel Ultimate Alliance

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The new Marvel Alliance has a member of the Inhumans on the roster, but nobody actually likes the Inhumans. If you do then your name is Ike Perlmutter. Surely they could have put in Squirrel-Girl instead?

Inhumans are cool in the Agents of SHIELD show but that's about it as far as I know.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Well, the level design could definitely be refined but from a gameplay standpoint it's absolutely golden. These clowns just totally hosed it up by jamming in so much colossal bullshit and making even normal difficulty needlessly irritating. It just super irks the poo poo out of me because I want to enjoy the drat thing but it pushes back so hard.

More or less like "every fan-made remake/fix/restoration/extension disk" ever for anything game-related. There usually are reasons why that part of the game originally got the axe. OpenTTD and Fallout 2 restoration projects mostly escape this, but even F2 re-enables some unfunny bullshit like that "previous chosen one" who acts as increasingly tough "must fight"-boss.

And getting back to MGSV, I think the original problems with the early pacing, hospital and the first handful of missions sucking designwise, were caused by the GZ/MGSV split and the fact that at least one originally planned chapter was left on the design room floor.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 07:50 on Jul 24, 2019

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Super Mario Bros. (NES) The loading transition after pressing start was too boring and i compulsively removed the cartridge and shoved it up my joker body pillow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Also the idea that you can improve the Halo: CE campaign is heresy

The Library?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Going back to Sekiro for a bit: I can't believe From decided that an Instant-Kill status effect was a good idea, after how bad it was the first time they did it.

INSTAKILL DEATH ABYSSES IN MARIO!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the hospital was a really cool/impressive set piece the first time through :(

I get the criticism of having to replay it, which was insane, but I dunno when people turned on it entirely.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's the replay. It's 100% the replay.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I also don't think it should have had specific objectives and an S-rank to get, but that's entirely on 100% completion weenies like me.

I do remember there being a dislike of it for a long time though. It was already infamous by the time I played it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MiddleOne posted:

It's the replay. It's 100% the replay.

Except for that Kennel guy who put the game down before completing it even once.

(I had previously thought it was Calaveron with the lack of an attention span, but he was just defending the choice to put the game down, my bad)

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I also don't think it should have had specific objectives and an S-rank to get, but that's entirely on 100% completion weenies like me.

I do remember there being a dislike of it for a long time though. It was already infamous by the time I played it.

This I 100% agree with though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm over here :psyduck:ing at the guy claiming Destiny 2's intro was worse. It took like two minutes of crawling at crouch-speed instead of a fifteen minutes of being semi-paralytic for MGSV.

I didn't dislike either intro, heck the MGSV one was a really cool setpiece in a game with not many of them, and Destiny 2's was good because unlike Destiny 1 it had a loving plot, right from the jump.

Speaking of which, have the DLCs for Destiny 2 done much with the fact that the Traveler is fully revived at the end of the main campaign? The rest of the game was honestly worse than Destiny 1 in basically every possible way, but the story was kinda neat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

food court bailiff posted:

I'm over here :psyduck:ing at the guy claiming Destiny 2's intro was worse. It took like two minutes of crawling at crouch-speed instead of a fifteen minutes of being semi-paralytic for MGSV.

I didn't dislike either intro, heck the MGSV one was a really cool setpiece in a game with not many of them, and Destiny 2's was good because unlike Destiny 1 it had a loving plot, right from the jump.

Speaking of which, have the DLCs for Destiny 2 done much with the fact that the Traveler is fully revived at the end of the main campaign? The rest of the game was honestly worse than Destiny 1 in basically every possible way, but the story was kinda neat.

I actually took notice of how long it took the second time I did it because I wanted to play as a warlock too goddammit and it’s roughly around nine minutes of holding forward while your character just gimps slowly and it left such a sour taste in my mouth because they were very obviously aping off of mgsv

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they haven't done much with that specific point but otherwise the game is massively improved in every way, and Forsaken had genuinely good writing/story. It should be very cheap soon with the new expansion coming out and the base game going F2P so I'd recommend giving it another shot!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Destiny 2's intro is long as hell, boring as hell as you don't have any cool powers and it's mostly cutscenes, and has Destiny 2's atrocious writing. And, if you're in deep enough to post about destiny on the internet you're doing it three times.

MGSV's intro overstays it's welcome for sure, but the dialogue isn't godawful, sneaking around is an MGS staple, and you'll only ever do it once.

E: and everything set up in D2's intro is undone 10 minutes later.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just beat the first chapter of Dangan Ronpa 3 - obviously big spoilers for that: You play a young woman named Kaede that does the usual protagonist thing of being kinda bumbly, but spirited and committed to solving murders and stuff. And because it's the basis of the game, someone dies, with a shotput ball to the back of the head, the first death in this killing game. Turns out the murderer is you, Kaede. The twist itself is really cool, and looking back over the course of the chapter a lot of the stuff makes sense. For a while I was really suspicious about how your partner was acting the entire time, but it was simply because he was acting weird with regards to the unusual stuff Kaede herself was doing. And it does the typical 'hide stuff from the camera' things, which it pulls off pretty well. Halfway through the trial, your partner realizes this, you switch viewpoints to him, and now you're accusing the person you were just playing. Incidentally she did it in an attempt to save everyone's life.

I thought this was pretty cool. My problem with it is that I was looking forward to playing a game in this series as a female protagonist, not the typical bumbling males from the first and second games. So while the twist and execution is pretty neat, now, once again, I'm in control of a relatively meek guy with no self-confidence and it's just...eh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

I just beat the first chapter of Dangan Ronpa 3 - obviously big spoilers for that: You play a young woman named Kaede that does the usual protagonist thing of being kinda bumbly, but spirited and committed to solving murders and stuff. And because it's the basis of the game, someone dies, with a shotput ball to the back of the head, the first death in this killing game. Turns out the murderer is you, Kaede. The twist itself is really cool, and looking back over the course of the chapter a lot of the stuff makes sense. For a while I was really suspicious about how your partner was acting the entire time, but it was simply because he was acting weird with regards to the unusual stuff Kaede herself was doing. And it does the typical 'hide stuff from the camera' things, which it pulls off pretty well. Halfway through the trial, your partner realizes this, you switch viewpoints to him, and now you're accusing the person you were just playing. Incidentally she did it in an attempt to save everyone's life.

I thought this was pretty cool. My problem with it is that I was looking forward to playing a game in this series as a female protagonist, not the typical bumbling males from the first and second games. So while the twist and execution is pretty neat, now, once again, I'm in control of a relatively meek guy with no self-confidence and it's just...eh.

I had the exact same reaction to that case. Still, stick with it - for my money DR3 is the only actually good plot in the series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had the exact same reaction to that case. Still, stick with it - for my money DR3 is the only actually good plot in the series.

Yeah DRv3 is fantastic the entire way through. I'd legit buy it again on Switch if they ported it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

The Library?

Library is fine. It's a good survival gaintlet.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Amoeba102 posted:

In terms of enemy placement it's mostly fine but the environment itself was cut and paste corridors that were super dark in the original release, and if you accidentally wandered off and got lost then good luck figuring out where the hell to go to get back, you'd just have to hope you'd wander into a rocket to the face because then you knew you were heading the right way.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Morpheus posted:

drv3 rules in a lot of ways but yeah i had the same reaction.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bewilderment posted:

if you accidentally wandered off and got lost then good luck figuring out where the hell to go to get back, you'd just have to hope you'd wander into a rocket to the face because then you knew you were heading the right way

Honestly, after playing through the series in the Master Chief Collection, this was the main thing dragging those games down for me. The library's the worst offender, but I felt like every couple levels I was getting turned around during firefights and losing track of which way to go without good visual indicators. It really made the first three's staunch refusal most of the time to give you a waypoint indicator really stand out.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

spit on my clit posted:

did they finally balance the game to not be absolute bullshit on normal mode

Nope.

The biggest problem in Wolfenstein 2 was the almost non-existent feedback when you are getting hit. It's often incredibly difficult to tell where you're getting shot from, so when you die it feels like bullshit because you barely had a chance. But that might be because I try to play it like Doom, which was a viable option in The New Order, when really the game is encouraging you to take cover most of the time. I just wanna run fast and rip and tear some Nazis, game, don't make me cower behind boxes waiting for someone to reload before popping out and - if I can see where they even are - headshotting them.

I bought it on launch, ended up quitting out of frustration and then picked it up again last month and finished it on easy. Turns out I only had a couple of hours of game left.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

It's a drab, confusing and un-engaging mess. It's the point in a game otherwise littered with interesting set-pieces and locales where it's very clear the development budget just ran out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"The Library is bad" is up there with "Xen is bad" for uncontroversial takes on good games.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Halo hosed up because they spent all this time giving unique and interesting AI to the Covenant enemies so that every fire fight was different and engaging but then they spent the back half of every game making you fight legions of the Flood which are simultaneously incredibly aggravating and staggeringly boring.

Reach is still the best Halo game because they knew that all anyone wanted to do was fight cool-rear end Covies all day.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
At first I thought the Library was a slog but something changed and now I really enjoy it.

I think this is what Stockholm Syndrome feels like.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the library was years ahead of it's time, as a postmodern adaptation of Borges' Library of Babel, giving players the opportunity to truly experience the maddening overload of endless, senseless data through seeming years spent combing the shelves

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I always thought the Library was great! It's a labyrinth, funneling you towards the metaphorical minotaur at the centre with a creepy AI as your guiding string, and the stark, repetitive architecture gives you the sense of being lost and wandering forever without genuine dead ends and an infinite loop. It made a great turning point (once you leave the Library, you wind up playing the levels in reverse until you're back on the Pillar of Autumn--only now tainted by the Flood). It was a bit on the nose but I dig the whole "The game is called Halo, it takes place on a ring, and the plot is cyclical" thing.

Halo did a pretty decent job at leading players without waypoints, imo. Not to the same degree as Half-Life, but I thought the maps did a good job of leading players to the next objective, along with clever enemy placement. The second mission was the only one where I briefly got lost but I chalk that up to me loving around in the warthog for too long and forgetting where I'd been.

Not to be a Halo apologist... I get the complaints, it's just that I loved the stuff that people seemed to hate. The Library, for example. A labryinth, sure, but they give you 343 Guilty Spark as a checkpoint to guide you through.

I also liked fighting the Flood even if the Covenant were superior.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Here's a fun fact: You go through or see parts of the Library and surroundings in Halo 1, 2, and 3. It's ruined and on fire from the Flood outbreak in 2 and you briefly leave through/see it in 3. You go through a Cartographer and Control Room a few times as well.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Same Library? You're on a different ring at some point arent you?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, the ring you're on in the first game is blown up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Then how does the sarge show up later?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

MGSV's intro overstays it's welcome for sure, but the dialogue isn't godawful, sneaking around is an MGS staple, and you'll only ever do it once.

you do it twice :goonsay:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oldpainless posted:

Then how does the sarge show up later?

The bonus scene at the end of Halo is non-canon. Otherwise, there was a novel and I guess he has Flood Immunity TM and got away from the ring on his own accord before it blew up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dash Rendar posted:

The bonus scene at the end of Halo is non-canon. Otherwise, there was a novel and I guess he has Flood Immunity TM and got away from the ring on his own accord before it blew up.

That makes zero sense, there's no way a car would work in space

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dash Rendar posted:

Same Library? You're on a different ring at some point arent you?

Presumably they all have the same design

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

I always thought the Library was great! It's a labyrinth, funneling you towards the metaphorical minotaur at the centre with a creepy AI as your guiding string, and the stark, repetitive architecture gives you the sense of being lost and wandering forever without genuine dead ends and an infinite loop. It made a great turning point (once you leave the Library, you wind up playing the levels in reverse until you're back on the Pillar of Autumn--only now tainted by the Flood). It was a bit on the nose but I dig the whole "The game is called Halo, it takes place on a ring, and the plot is cyclical" thing.

Halo did a pretty decent job at leading players without waypoints, imo. Not to the same degree as Half-Life, but I thought the maps did a good job of leading players to the next objective, along with clever enemy placement. The second mission was the only one where I briefly got lost but I chalk that up to me loving around in the warthog for too long and forgetting where I'd been.

Not to be a Halo apologist... I get the complaints, it's just that I loved the stuff that people seemed to hate. The Library, for example. A labryinth, sure, but they give you 343 Guilty Spark as a checkpoint to guide you through.

I also liked fighting the Flood even if the Covenant were superior.

You said it better than I could.

Repetitive and/or confusing building design is realistic, even if in Halo it was a result of a rushed production.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That makes zero sense, there's no way a car would work in space

It's the future. ofc they have space cars :colbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kaubocks posted:

you do it twice :goonsay:

drat. Well, I guess I'm not picking that back up.

Writing's still better though.