Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

MrYenko posted:

Like a failure onion.

If the current thread title wasn't so perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This one really gets me. I'm no engineer but it just seems that the forces on these pieces are going to be well in excess of what they can handle (and exerted in different directions than where they do have strength). These can't be off the shelf parts, right? Someone had to weld up this abomination?

What gets me about that picture is that the safety chains from the trailer are connected to each other and nothing else.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Same reason you'll see a rebel get a machine gun and use it by just walking out into the street dumping it from the hip. They have nowhere near enough experience or training to know that they're uselessly dumping ammo. They just know "I have a machine gun and imma shoot it!"

You gotta admit though that that's a pretty natural reaction to having a machine gun.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMESRatAG04

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GotLag posted:

What gets me about that picture is that the safety chains from the trailer are connected to each other and nothing else.

They are also connected by that little flap that will instantly tear off.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
First image thumbnail: "That doesn't look good..."

*click*

:aaa:

*clicks other images*

:asoiaf:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

spiny posted:

If the current thread title wasn't so perfect

A Failure Onion of Truckfuckling has my blessing.

Is the OSHA thread tag still hosted anywhere? I'm going to re-buy a new av.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffR7qcsNTic

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is the OSHA thread tag still hosted anywhere? I'm going to re-buy a new av.

Find someone ITT who still has it:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
how did i just notice that it's a condom with the nfpa diamond wrapper

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

This sure looks fun, that guy's totally hosed up mount/tiedown situation, combined with this problem:

If it holds maybe not so bad since the truck is over the axles of the trailer, won't hold tho.
Nah he's got the weight over the trailer axle

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

GotLag posted:

that’s what gets you? I would be calling the police on this prick. can’t help but notice he’s pulled his rear plate (I doubt he needed to to run the wiring harness extender)

e: holy gently caress I just noticed the tiny ratchet strap which is now load-bearing on the big knotted one holding the RH rear wheel is actually a loving DOG LEASH

snugglz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 24, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How did this get here I am not good with cars

https://www.nj.com/middlesex/2019/07/car-wedged-under-nj-transit-train-platform-blocks-track-causes-major-delays.html

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
the layers of this onion know no bounds. look in your hearts, his tires are bald and his brake pads are down to the blades and he has no insurance or license and everything in the picture was recently stolen and....

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

snugglz posted:

e: holy gently caress I just noticed the tiny ratchet strap which is now load-bearing on the big knotted one holding the RH rear wheel is actually a loving DOG LEASH

Oh wow, good catch. What the hell.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

snugglz posted:

the layers of this onion know no bounds. look in your hearts, his tires are bald and his brake pads are down to the blades and he has no insurance or license and everything in the picture was recently stolen and....

What makes you think the brake pads matter when the brakes are 100% not even connected

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Bad Munki posted:

What makes you think the brake pads matter when the brakes are 100% not even connected

uhhhh yeah that is a 5-wire trailer harness extension (just lights). which I guess wouldn’t matter since virtually no 1/2 ton pickups ever have trailer-brake controllers anyway. this is a big onion

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pretty sure it's actually a 4, but yeah, left turn, right turn, brake lights, ground...good luck everyone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bad Munki posted:

They’re off the shelf, just used wrong. The lift on the hitch there is intended for a tall truck and is being used upside down. The trailer is a bog standard fifth wheel and is supposed to go on a ball in the middle of the truck bed right over the axle, that’s why it has the big up-and-over profile on the tongue.

Its a gooseneck trailer, but yeah pretty much everything else you said is correct.

And over at the dodge truck forums they're all circle jerking: "yup, thats the way it should be a DODGE, towing a FORD"!

"lol Fix er Repair Daily"!
"Hurrr Found On Road Dead"!!

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 24, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

Find someone ITT who still has it:

Hello

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/Seize_Texas/sta...jor-delays.html

Slightly less fun from this angle. I take that train and there was some pretty significant flooding on Monday. Every underpass was flooded, and there were two truckfucklers stuck in every one of them, one in each direction.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guy Axlerod posted:

https://twitter.com/Seize_Texas/sta...jor-delays.html

Slightly less fun from this angle. I take that train and there was some pretty significant flooding on Monday. Every underpass was flooded, and there were two truckfucklers stuck in every one of them, one in each direction.

loving jersey drivers

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

On my drive to work the off ramp for my exit was backed up (not horrible enough that I noticed prior to going down the ramp).

What do I find at the bottom you might ask? A SWIFT truck!

It was attempting to turn right, which is an extremely tight turn, the road you turn onto is going at an angle that causes the turn to be something in the neighborhood of 130 degrees, you can't drive up on the grass/curb because of the train bridge that is about 10 feet after the turn; which I don't think he would have made it under.

At least he stopped before getting stuck under the bridge?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

snugglz posted:

uhhhh yeah that is a 5-wire trailer harness extension (just lights). which I guess wouldn’t matter since virtually no 1/2 ton pickups ever have trailer-brake controllers anyway. this is a big onion

Not in my experience. Lots of boat trailers don't have brakes maybe. Even a really good controller isn't more than $130, and the entire brake assembly for a trailer is pretty cheap, too (but I see what you're saying).

I think the story behind picture could just be people loving around. The F250 was towing and they swapped the trucks around for shits and giggle with whatever parts and pieces were handy. This would explain the lack of plates on the Ram.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

snugglz posted:

virtually no 1/2 ton pickups ever have trailer-brake controllers anyway.

Except almost every 4th-gen Ram, even the ones without a factory trailer hitch, and as a fairly ubiquitous option on every other truck currently available.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 24, 2019

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
heavier than they thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxTXFWI9E

starkebn fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 25, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

solarNativity posted:

Except almost every 4th-gen Ram, even the ones without a factory trailer hitch, and as a fairly ubiquitous option on every other truck currently available.

Eh, just because it has a 7-round connector doesn't mean there's a controller. Do you mean that 4+ gen Rams all have the wiring harness in the cab present? I know the 3rd gen had to have the tow package for them to add the plug-and-play poo poo. I've definitely driven 4th gens with no control built-in. All the rentals have had an integrated controller (imagine that).

I wouldn't harp on about this but, please folks, use a brake controller if you have trailer brakes.
It might not stop the thing all that much faster, but you will stop straighter.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i'm the guy in the second truck who bails out for no reason and then sheepishly walks back to put the parking brake on

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Reminds me of the time a drug addled weirdo managed to drive his rainbow car completely into the MAX tunnel that goes under the West Hills in Portland. And it wasn't the first time.

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/2014/03/how_do_you_drive_a_car_into_th.html
https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/2014/03/trimet_flashback_video_of_car.html

There was another case where a car went off a highway ramp at some absurd rate of speed, flipped over, and wedged itself into the short tunnel on the Blue Line between Sunset and Beaverton TCs. Definitely one of those, "HOW'D YOU GET THE BEANS ABOVE THE FRANK?" kind of situations.

MF_James posted:

On my drive to work the off ramp for my exit was backed up (not horrible enough that I noticed prior to going down the ramp).

What do I find at the bottom you might ask? A SWIFT truck!

Speaking of Portland and tunnels, I got a panicked phone call from my bandmate while I was out of town visiting family. So for those not from the area, Portland does not keep snow removal equipment around, so when it snows, the whole city essentially shuts the gently caress down. Those of us who grew up in snowy places like Montana or Upstate New York, however, DGAF. The problem is that it's not so much, "Can I drive in this?" as, "Will I be able to dodge the idiots who CAN'T drive in this poo poo?"

Anyway, tl;dr, bandmate called me because he went around a blind corner in the car tunnel and plowed directly into the back of a Swift truck that apparently didn't realize it couldn't climb the hill on the other side of the tunnel, and instead of pulling off the road, just loving parked that poo poo in the right lane of the loving highway.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Somebody crashed a forklift into one of the building columns at speed and now we gotta close the shipping dept until a structural engineer can come check it out. The fork is curled up a good 4" elf-shoe style.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Eh, just because it has a 7-round connector doesn't mean there's a controller. Do you mean that 4+ gen Rams all have the wiring harness in the cab present? I know the 3rd gen had to have the tow package for them to add the plug-and-play poo poo. I've definitely driven 4th gens with no control built-in. All the rentals have had an integrated controller (imagine that).

I wouldn't harp on about this but, please folks, use a brake controller if you have trailer brakes.
It might not stop the thing all that much faster, but you will stop straighter.

I mostly meant what I said, but my sample size is fairly small. I've never driven a 4th-gen without a TBC, although many (including mine) never had receiver hitch, only a hole for a bumper ball. They do all have the harness AFAIK.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm the guy who runs in front of the out of control multi ton vehicles

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have never seen so many load bearing axles pulled/pushed by so few power units. Nice job everybody.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have never seen so many load bearing axles pulled/pushed by so few power units. Nice job everybody.

How do you do this properly? Limited space, etc. idk I’m here to learn.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Something like the NASA Guppy would be well equipped to handle a payload that weight and size, and it could fly right over that passage.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
How will they get another crane up there to remove that one?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

They should have lowered the road

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

Let me drive by shitpost in peace!!

I've never worked with stuff this big like that crane body so I can't speak to specifics and of course we don't know the actual dimensions or weight or space they had to work with at the jobsite but there's no reason they didn't have the space for more power units at the front end of the train (at least). By my count they have 12 axles with what looks like a mix of 8 to 4 tires per axle. And if you're watching the clip you can see that even with that weight distribution the trailer is under tremendous flex. It certainly doesn't help to be hauling this load on dirt even if it is compacted to whatever degree. Finally you're bringing this down a fairly steep hill to top it all off.

For comparison here is a "160 Tonne Crane Body" being transported by 3 units (which we don't know the brake or HP capacity of any of the units in question). Harder to count in this pic but looks like 10 axles with 2 steer axles between the main body of the trailer and the last power unit.

edit: to give you an idea of the weight in question here most normal dry van semi trucks in the US can only legally haul about 45K net before it puts them over gross (80K). Now part of the weight limit is due to number of axles and tires so road surfaces aren't damaged but you can't JUST add axles for heavy poo poo you also need the HP and braking power to safely maneuver the load.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 25, 2019

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

URL link expired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

tangy yet delightful posted:

Let me drive by shitpost in peace!!

I've never worked with stuff this big like that crane body so I can't speak to specifics and of course we don't know the actual dimensions or weight or space they had to work with at the jobsite but there's no reason they didn't have the space for more power units at the front end of the train (at least). By my count they have 12 axles with what looks like a mix of 8 to 4 tires per axle. And if you're watching the clip you can see that even with that weight distribution the trailer is under tremendous flex. It certainly doesn't help to be hauling this load on dirt even if it is compacted to whatever degree. Finally you're bringing this down a fairly steep hill to top it all off.

For comparison here is a "160 Tonne Crane Body" being transported by 3 units (which we don't know the brake or HP capacity of any of the units in question). Harder to count in this pic but looks like 10 axles with 2 steer axles between the main body of the trailer and the last power unit.

edit: to give you an idea of the weight in question here most normal dry van semi trucks in the US can only legally haul about 45K net before it puts them over gross (80K). Now part of the weight limit is due to number of axles and tires so road surfaces aren't damaged but you can't JUST add axles for heavy poo poo you also need the HP and braking power to safely maneuver the load.

Awesome info, but how would they put the stopping power on the back?

The Real Amethyst posted:

URL link expired

gently caress it was cool