Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

This is a pretty common refrain for people who create things everyone hates, and Tom King has really leaned hard on it in the past few months.
"People care and people are talking about it, I must be doing something right!"
It went from six to seven to nine, if I recall.

Yeah, I seem to recall Dan Slott fell back on that logic a fair bit, too. I wonder if Rosenberg's going to do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I seem to recall Dan Slott fell back on that logic a fair bit, too. I wonder if Rosenberg's going to do the same thing.

A lot of Rosenberg I've seen was 'man everybody liked X-Men Red what am I doing wrong?' and then being unwilling to take criticism (which is admittedly probably buried under a lot of typical internet comics hate).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

A lot of Rosenberg I've seen was 'man everybody liked X-Men Red what am I doing wrong?' and then being unwilling to take criticism (which is admittedly probably buried under a lot of typical internet comics hate).

Has anyone broken the news to him that he isn't Tom Taylor? It might help.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alaois posted:

Has anyone broken the news to him that he isn't Tom Taylor? It might help.

Break it to him gently, though. It's always tough to hear.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
They're kind of the same, Tom Taylor tells interesting resonant stories using familiar characters and adding memorable new ones whereas Rosenberg does the exact opposite.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I seem to recall the number of characters that got killed off in X-Men: Red being
zero

sooo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BrianWilly posted:

I seem to recall the number of characters that got killed off in X-Men: Red being
zero

But that's not how you write an X-Men comic! People would be confused on what kind comic they were reading otherwise.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

I hope the covers just get increasingly dysfunctional.

Get Emma, Psylocke, Stryfe, Madeline, X-23...

Edit: Also Logan is so out of place in that team that his art doesn't even match.

It's missing Hope.

Also I just am not down with Teen Cable. I haven't read enough with him but I sort of want my old and busted Cable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

Also I just am not down with Teen Cable. I haven't read enough with him but I sort of want my old and busted Cable.

That's one thing I really enjoyed about the aforementioned Cable and X-Force. Cable there really was this tired old soldier who was moving at about half-speed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
teen cable makes me glad for the status quo yoyo. he hasn't done anything interesting! thankfully, old cable will be back eventually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well the younger Cable is already in a new book so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, it'll happen sooner or later. might be years down the road, who knows?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

give it 50 or 60 years

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So far I'm actually kind of enjoying Kid Cable, not just because time-travel fuckery is such a central part of Nathan Christopher Dayspring Mountain Dew Askanison Summers but because he has, so far, been an interesting variation on and expansion of the character. He'd started to get, if not stale than a little repetitive--a sign of a true X-character--and wasn't quite fitting in with where the X-line was. This is just different enough to be interesting while still being true to the character and eventually his timeline will loop around or some poo poo and he can be old and grizzled again.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
House of X is peak Hickman.

I didn't think any of this was a huge surprise given the covers and what information was available pre-release. These first issues are likely stage setting, I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone's thinking something's up with X looking almost exactly like Ultimate Reed/Maker right? That's got to be intentional.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I dunno what to make of it all yet...it ain't quite the "WOO YEA THE X-MEN FINALLY STAND TRIUMPHANT!" issue I'd been hoping for. A lot of it is coming across as very, very sinister, and it's hard to say just how much of it is intentional. You really couldn't find more appropriate ambassadors for your people than...Magneto and a Cuckoo? There's such a thing as a display of power and then there's just intentionally antagonizing your guests for a reaction, and then blaming them when they react exactly as badly as you wanted them to.

Hell, even if we take (what little we know of) Xavier's newfound experiment at complete face value instead of treating it like some...evil dastardly plan made up by creepy island spores or what have you, it's still kinda needlessly creepy and sinister. Whatever happened to the dream of peaceful coexistence? Got a bit bored of it, decided to just gently caress off to some walled-off mutant paradise forever then? I'd really like to hear what the more down-to-earth, run-of-the-mill X-Men or mutants think about all this Krakoa stuff because so far it ain't painting anyone in a great light.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Agreeing with everyone. This all has a very cult-ish kind of vibe to it. That last page too makes it very textual. Very very excited to see where this is going!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm not really having any problem with Xavier seemingly walking away from the dream of peaceful coexistence considering that, you know, he tried it for a long time and it got him killed. Having said that, it's the earliest days yet, so we don't have much more than gut instinct to go on when deciding if this is all quite as sinister as it seems. It's very, very Hickman.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Scott, you were just being a dick with that last line.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
For all the talk of this striking out in a bold new direction, it's... not? Practically all the elements are stuff we've seen before, and recently at that: a stand-offish mutant nation that automatically grants citizenship to any mutant, mutants living on Krakoa, Sentinels again apparently, mutants looking like they're going to be the dominant species...

It's fine, so far. It's ostentatious about wanting to be something, and it's nice to see X-Men not on the verge of extinction at the moment. The one real interesting idea are Krakoa cuttings popping up all over the world; if mutants become the dominant species are they going to terraform the earth with Krakoa (though even that's kind of an Inhumans retread)?

It's only the first issue, so there's plenty of time, but I'd like to see if everybody is on board with this whole plan. How did Nightcrawler get convinced to come aboard? What does Glob Herman think about this whole mutant extraterritoriality they're trying to enforce? Hell, is Jean alright with this, and why?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So uh...
when did xavier come back to life?
Is that Reed from the ultimates universe or is it xavier, and if the latter why does he look like creepy reed?
Are these x-men just regrown clones a la mr sinister? Didn't all the real xmen die?

This is all terribly confusing

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Professor Xavier's ghost took over Fantomex's body in Astonishing X-Men a year or so back. So it's Charles' mind in the body of Fantomex, who is now dead as a result.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
One thing I keep coming back to is that the drugs are specified to work on humans.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Xavier returned in Astonishing X-Men some time ago.

We have also seen him with this new helmet and suit on the covers and promo art, so I assume they want us to take that as a point of uneasiness, at least for now.

If Hickman is correct, then next week we will start to recontextualize some of these initial impressions, given how he has described the relationship between House of X and Powers of X.

In the meanwhile, I thought the art was lovely and the issue confirmed that Hickman still has a lot of skill as a storyteller. We get plenty of information from both the dialogue as well as through the mannerisms and charts.

It's not entirely new concepts so far, taking superficial elements in isolation, but I would say the direction itself does qualify as creative and there are pieces that haven't been seen in an X-men comic as such.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is the miniseries that's supposed to move to the new status quo he's doing. It's not going to start that way guys.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Can anyone do a three sentence explainer of how we got here? I have only read Red in the past 3 years and last I heard there was some awful neo age of apocalypse alternate reality goofiness going on. Did the krakoa thing come out of nowhere?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Can anyone do a three sentence explainer of how we got here?

Nope. Pretty sure everyone's. In the dark.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

That’s actually comforting. BTW, does the design, layout, dossiers etc remind anyone else of “The Filth?”

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I liked the spacing of the supplementary text throughout the issue compared to something like Black Monday Murders where it's all at the back. It made it feel like part of the story rather than bonus material.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

That’s actually comforting. BTW, does the design, layout, dossiers etc remind anyone else of “The Filth?”

The designs remind me a lot older Hickman stuff, especially Pax Romana.

Also, if you haven't read much Marvel since Secret Wars, is there anything you need to catch up on for House of X and Powers of X to make sense? I got sort of bored with Marvel's stuff after SW wrapped up, but Hickman's return has me interested again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So far it doesn't seem like it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

thats a no from me posted:

The designs remind me a lot older Hickman stuff, especially Pax Romana.

Also, if you haven't read much Marvel since Secret Wars, is there anything you need to catch up on for House of X and Powers of X to make sense? I got sort of bored with Marvel's stuff after SW wrapped up, but Hickman's return has me interested again.

I'd almost go so far as to say that being caught up with the X-books right now is actively detrimental. There's a lot here that Hickman seems to be ignoring outright.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm feeling like the Xavier brain/consciousness transplant stuff from the last few years will be a part of his character.
And Maker.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Wanderer posted:

I'd almost go so far as to say that being caught up with the X-books right now is actively detrimental. There's a lot here that Hickman seems to be ignoring outright.

Skwirl posted:

So far it doesn't seem like it.

Awesome, thanks!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Maker's busy over in Venom this probably doesn't have anything to do with him

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What are people's opinions on Deadly Genesis? I realized the only comics I've read with Vulcan was that War of Kings cosmic stuff by Abnett and Lanning. Figure I might study up on him since he's apparently gonna be part of this stuff moving forward.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

What are people's opinions on Deadly Genesis? I realized the only comics I've read with Vulcan was that War of Kings cosmic stuff by Abnett and Lanning. Figure I might study up on him since he's apparently gonna be part of this stuff moving forward.

The only real opinions I've heard of Deadly Genesis are "wait no stop oh god why"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Maker's busy over in Venom this probably doesn't have anything to do with him

Hick shoulda asked for a redesign on Xavier then.

edit: Anyway, that cerebro helmet wouldn't just be designed to obscure his face cause it looks cool. Something's up!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

The only real opinions I've heard of Deadly Genesis are "wait no stop oh god why"

I love how there's probably more good X-Men stories than in any other franchise, but there's so many X-Men stories in total that it also has one of the worst batting averages for a franchise.