Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well, that's a thing.

Cargo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Man instructing as a hobby is so much more fun. I’m going to talk to the local aero club tomorrow to see if they want a part time guy. :3:

Well, even if you do it extremely part-time, it's sort of a dick move to reject the less pleasant aspects of the job, so personally I don't feel like I can complain about it too much. I'm certainly not unfairly saddled with these folks by any means, it's the thing pretty much all instructors complain about (and when we were doing Cirrus checks-on-type, apparently that was just pure hell for those instructors; excellent plane, poo poo customers).

I've been thinking about it, because why wouldn't I spend all my time obsessing over work on my days off, and I think it comes down to how people approach this as a hobby. Flying is an experience, for lack of a better word, not a hobby outright. Being a pilot can be a hobby, and that's one way you can choose to enjoy flying, but if you only have interest in the actual end goal of being in the air and going places, and you don't want to put in the hard work of being a proficient pilot, you're asking for problems up to and including the death of yourself and any passengers you're flying with. Likewise, if you enjoy being outdoors and physically active, that's not actually a hobby, that's just a thing you like. You can choose to do that thing you like through the hobby of rock climbing, if you choose, but if you just want to stand at the top of cliffs and mountains and you don't pay attention to what you need to do to get there safely, it won't end well for you.

Being a pilot is a great hobby, but folks need to pay more attention to the actual act of piloting an airplane proficiently instead of looking solely at the end goals it allows you to pursue. And for god's sake, the actual license isn't magical, it's just a piece of paper. There's no meaningful difference in how fast your skills degrade or how focused you need to be when flying from the day before your flight test to the day after. That's why I prefer flying with students -- they're focused on learning and improving their skills. Checks-on-type can be like that, with good pilots, but too often it's "I want to show you the minimal level of competency that will let me gently caress around in your planes by myself, and woe betide you if you suggest I need to improve at anything."

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well, that's a thing.

1 plane to start and it's going to be operated for DHL, let's all welcome another shitbag airline to the CVG ghetto

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well, that's a thing.

"Boeing 737 Max: Start your climb, then a rapid descent"

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 22, 2019

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Sunday was a great gliding day, I achieved three personal records. Furthest distance from the home airfield at 38 kilometers, went to fly above the neighbouring airfield. Reached 2.1 kilometers above the home field, I can't even remember the last time I was flying with such a high cloudbase. And I managed my first 5 hour flight at 5 hours 20 minutes, finally passing my biggest obstacle at receiving my club's distance flying permit. This flight would have been a great opportunity to achieve 50 km distance but I chickened out, I already was much further than I had anticipated so I decided to stay within a gliding distance of the home field.

It has been way too long to reach this point but my gliding career seems like it's advancing for a change. Passing my club's field landing test a month ago was a nice feeling and an interesting and exciting experience.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Saukkis posted:

Sunday was a great gliding day, I achieved three personal records. Furthest distance from the home airfield at 38 kilometers, went to fly above the neighbouring airfield. Reached 2.1 kilometers above the home field, I can't even remember the last time I was flying with such a high cloudbase. And I managed my first 5 hour flight at 5 hours 20 minutes, finally passing my biggest obstacle at receiving my club's distance flying permit. This flight would have been a great opportunity to achieve 50 km distance but I chickened out, I already was much further than I had anticipated so I decided to stay within a gliding distance of the home field.

It has been way too long to reach this point but my gliding career seems like it's advancing for a change. Passing my club's field landing test a month ago was a nice feeling and an interesting and exciting experience.

Congrats, that's awesome! I would love to go gliding, but I don't think there's anybody that does it within a few hours of here (lots of hang gliders though), which is kind of odd since we have good terrain/air for it as far as I know. On Saturday my CFI and I were climbing >1500fpm in a thermal for a bit in a really pokey 172 (that can manage about 600fpm on it's own).

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Atlas flow? Even the new hire Mesa FO I was talking with the other day couldn’t have cared less.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

At very low altitudes, less than about 200', the glide slope becomes so sensitive that even small deviations below it will trigger a glideslope caution. If you're landing on a short runway it's not uncommon for pilots to "duck" the glideslope a little bit to land earlier in the touchdown zone which sometimes triggers a single "glideslope" aural caution. Doing this in low visibility, or to the extent seen in this video, is a very bad idea and not that common for obvious reasons.

My guess is that this wasn't so much fatigue as it was:

*minimums*
"Ok runway is in sight...wait where did the PAPI go? Oh I'll just hold pitch/power for a second until I get them back"
*glideslope*
"Ok I'm low but as soon as I get the papi back I'll just fly them"
*glideslope/sinkrate*
"Where the gently caress did the runway go?"
*glideslope glideslope*
"Wait....what the gently caress is going on?"
*splash*

I'd bet a lot of money that the pilot knew they were low but had lost SA and didn't realize just how fast they were coming down or how low they already were. They probably thought the glide slope warning was the "ducking the slope" level of warning and not "You're about to land in the ocean."

Speaking as a central air safety chairman.. this is why normalization of deviance is a bad thing. Thankfully there are very rare instances where I have seen people "duck the slope" at my airline... SNA or BUR with standing water and higher approach speeds due to icing comes to mind. Still not usually enough to trigger an EGPWS glideslope warning, and most people would at least acknowledge and respond immediately with 'correcting' to the alarm... how they got that many and seemed to be that far behind the airplane is terrifying.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What sort of uniforms were required (if any) at your flight schools, and was there any seasonal deviation of adding/subtracting layers? The school I work with is currently feuding over if CFIs should be allowed to wear polos (with logo and INSTRUCTOR) and dress pants or the full-on monkey suit. There's also talk of long pants being necessary in an emergency, but that the long pants could also melt onto CFI (and student)'s legs in a fire which, between safety and comfort, could possibly see shorts OKed next summer.

Both Being Airline Owned Means Everything and the other school I attended were full pilot uniform. The first was strict on top button buttoned with a tie year-round the first summer I flew there before realizing it's hot in North America a few months a year and approving no ties and top button unbuttoned seasonally, which was carried over to the second school when the first bailed. (e- The second school would allow street clothes if you were soloing as long as they were well-maintained, but any lessons or checkrides were done in the uniform.)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 24, 2019

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
When I worked in North Dakota, instructors had to wear a shirt and tie most of the year (we could wear a polo in the summer) and black pants.

IIRC, there were no restrictions on the jackets in the winter (you're not gonna find something "professional" that works at -30), but we had to wear or carry boots, gloves, and a hat during winter.

My next instructing job was a local flight school in AZ, so we just wore whatever we felt like. I generally went with a polo and shorts in the summer, and jeans and a polo (or long sleeve button down) in the winter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Instructors at my school tend to wear a company t-shirt or polo shirt but I get the sense that they're not very strict about it. I don't know the demographics but I doubt that the majority of the school's clientele are planning to become ATPs.

Students wear whatever.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 24, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Instructors at my school wear whatever.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
We could wear whatever at my school. I always wore khakis and a polo. Just lol @ wearing an actual pilot uniform to instruct.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I'll echo everyone else and say the first school I taught at had an uniform of sorts, polo and shorts in the summer with a button down long/shirt sleeve the rest of the year, both a certain color with the school crest. The second school was pretty much whatever as long as you wore a collared shirt with the school logo on it.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I was offered work as a CFI at the school I learned at- they were slacks, button down, and tie every day of the year.

In Florida.

My current employer is slacks on weekdays, jeans on fri-sat-sun, polo shirt/button down, and shorts if the high is above 80F. The ideal.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
shirt and tie? are you kidding? is this in a Cessna? jfc

that's the one thing the military got right. flight suits are loving great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would be pretty bummed out if my flight school made everyone wear an airline style uniform (like I understand some of the aeronautical universities do) but I would definitely add several points for a school that made everybody wear flight suits

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
At my pilot mill school students were required to wear long pants, closed toe shoes, and a jacket during winter months. Instructors wore khakis and company polos. On "special days" like the first week of the semester, student preview day, and any day with a big all instructor meeting, the instructors were required to wear a pilot shirt with epaulets (tie optional).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

What sort of uniforms were required (if any) at your flight schools, and was there any seasonal deviation of adding/subtracting layers? The school I work with is currently feuding over if CFIs should be allowed to wear polos (with logo and INSTRUCTOR) and dress pants or the full-on monkey suit. There's also talk of long pants being necessary in an emergency, but that the long pants could also melt onto CFI (and student)'s legs in a fire which, between safety and comfort, could possibly see shorts OKed next summer.

Both Being Airline Owned Means Everything and the other school I attended were full pilot uniform. The first was strict on top button buttoned with a tie year-round the first summer I flew there before realizing it's hot in North America a few months a year and approving no ties and top button unbuttoned seasonally, which was carried over to the second school when the first bailed. (e- The second school would allow street clothes if you were soloing as long as they were well-maintained, but any lessons or checkrides were done in the uniform.)

If they were actually concerned about a fire wouldn’t you be wearing nomex?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Bob A Feet posted:

shirt and tie? are you kidding? is this in a Cessna? jfc

that's the one thing the military got right. flight suits are loving great.

yes. fleet was entirely 172s when I was there, including cutlasses for complex. not sure what they're doing now for that

multi was C-310s and is now DA-42s which... lol. the flying greenhouse

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Sagebrush posted:

I would be pretty bummed out if my flight school made everyone wear an airline style uniform (like I understand some of the aeronautical universities do) but I would definitely add several points for a school that made everybody wear flight suits

The CFIs at Sky Warrior in Pensacola (KPNS, say that one a few times fast) wear military flight suits. Don't know anything about the school but the instructors there (mostly old dudes) are super serial military pretenders. basically try to dick measure with the high volume of military traffic in the area.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We’re supposed to wear a collared shirt and black shoes but honestly no one really gives a gently caress, especially in winter since sweaters and layers are the way to go.

In summer I wear a polo shirt, blue jeans and black sneakers. Winter, I go with a sweater, jeans, and base layers/jackets as appropriate, and either sneakers or insulated boots. gently caress uniforms for instructing, I think that’s indicative of a place that takes themselves a bit too seriously.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

The CFIs at Sky Warrior in Pensacola (KPNS, say that one a few times fast) wear military flight suits. Don't know anything about the school but the instructors there (mostly old dudes) are super serial military pretenders. basically try to dick measure with the high volume of military traffic in the area.

You should get them and CAP in a room, and see who can out-pedantic who.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

There are very few gatherings of people who I would enjoy throwing a flashbang into the middle of more than that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

azflyboy posted:

bro

CAP just ruins days. I love doing airshows and static displays and what not cause most people get on my aircraft are super enthusiastic and want to sit in the seat and climb all over and ask tons of questions. I love that kind of enthusiasm. But CAP dudes? One teenager in uniform argued that the four pitot tubes were lasers and his dad told me Cessna SAR war stories. Absolute oxygen thief’s that scared off all the people that were buying our teeshirts and whatnot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

It's funny, because at least here in Canada, all the military/ex-military guys I've met are super chill. As students, they're really focused and actually react positively to constructive criticism*, as colleagues they're helpful and easy to deal with, and as instructors they're no-nonsense and very good at their jobs. It's the military wannabes who feel like they have poo poo to prove all the goddamn time and act a drat fool as a result.

* Almost every student will eventually say to me something along the lines of "I want you to be really direct and honest about my mistakes, no sugar-coating it, etc." and I can honestly say the only people who actually meant it, going by results, were ex-military. Everyone else did, in fact, want their issues sugar-coated. And I mean, I get that, but ask and ye shall receive -- though, to be fair, if I were reviewing film of my own flights, I could easily find a bunch of things to criticize because figuring out what's wrong with someone else's flying on a given day is much easier than being 100% perfect yourself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

One teenager in uniform argued that the four pitot tubes were lasers

what?

istr that you fly Ospreys so like...you're standing there beside the plane and the kid comes up, in uniform, and told you that the pitots were laser...designators? rangefinders? cannons?

Two of the planes at our flight school are ex-CAP and they still have the paint job with the pretty red stripes on the wings and I think it's a neat program in concept so it kinda bums me out that CAP are apparently a bunch of milspergs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
CAP creates their own job security by constantly leaving cowl covers on and fuel caps off.

Source: I worked on their planes a lot when I was an A&P. Anything not-inspection was usually blatant preflight neglect.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
They went through a ton of spark plugs when I lived in AZ because they apparently refused to believe that an airport at 3000msl and 100+ degrees might not need the mixture set to full rich all the time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I instructed a bit in AZ! I thought it was weird how lean they ran those 172s but I also chose to trust the chief who had been teaching there for 30 years and it worked out well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

They went through a ton of spark plugs when I lived in AZ because they apparently refused to believe that an airport at 3000msl and 100+ degrees might not need the mixture set to full rich all the time.

We're at 4000'ASL and we have a similar issue. The policy remains to basically run at full rich at all times until in cruise, and as an instructor I finally understand why, because "how will a student/renter gently caress up a simple thing in a dangerous way?" is a question I've learned I don't want to see answered.

This isn't to say that all students and renters are morons. But enough of them are that you write policies to help the 5% avoid offing themselves or damaging your plane.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Late on uniform chat, but the school I went to for my commercial was pretty chill about what you could and couldn't wear; basically the rule was "dress, or have with you, the clothes you'd need to spend a night outside in the current conditions." There was no dress code for the students, but we all informally had one where if we were going on a cross-country flight, we'd wear slacks and a dress shirt or similar. Nowadays, students and instructors alike all wear the full uniform, which is something we kicked around in my last year as a student body, but the overwhelming consensus was "professionalism doesn't stem from the clothes you wear". I was of that opinion then, and I definitely am of that opinion today; uniforms don't do gently caress all for how people conduct themselves.

Also back when I was in the Air Cadets getting private license (and also tooling around at the gliding zone), we had to wear flight suits, and let me tell you, I would have killed to wear normal, comfortable clothes in the airplane.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

We're at 4000'ASL and we have a similar issue. The policy remains to basically run at full rich at all times until in cruise, and as an instructor I finally understand why, because "how will a student/renter gently caress up a simple thing in a dangerous way?" is a question I've learned I don't want to see answered.

This will absolutely kill someone at an actual high elevation airport. 4000ft on a hot day is getting close to toeing that line. Always always always lean to rich of peak during the run up. I don't care what your elevation is, it's just good practice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

Late on uniform chat, but the school I went to for my commercial was pretty chill about what you could and couldn't wear; basically the rule was "dress, or have with you, the clothes you'd need to spend a night outside in the current conditions." There was no dress code for the students, but we all informally had one where if we were going on a cross-country flight, we'd wear slacks and a dress shirt or similar. Nowadays, students and instructors alike all wear the full uniform, which is something we kicked around in my last year as a student body, but the overwhelming consensus was "professionalism doesn't stem from the clothes you wear". I was of that opinion then, and I definitely am of that opinion today; uniforms don't do gently caress all for how people conduct themselves.

Also back when I was in the Air Cadets getting private license (and also tooling around at the gliding zone), we had to wear flight suits, and let me tell you, I would have killed to wear normal, comfortable clothes in the airplane.

I'm with this; if you want to show me you're a professional, demonstrate it by your conduct in the plane. I don't give a gently caress if you're wearing a tie, if you're ignoring procedures and mumbling through checklists, that's what I care about and I will make you fix.

In addition to the general rule you stated, we also have one for instructors (not formalized, but it's instructors' discretion) that says "make sure your students are dressed to spend the night outside, unless you're really sure you can fight them off." Because if it comes down to life or death, and it could in winter in Canada, you don't want the drat fool wearing Chuck Taylors and ankle socks suddenly deciding he ain't making it through the night without your gear. It's not something you really want to think about, of course, but it could happen. I still wear reasonably sturdy footwear and long pants on every flight, because even in summer you don't want to be hiking a mile or two in shorts and Birkenstocks in the event of a forced approach.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

I still wear reasonably sturdy footwear and long pants on every flight, because even in summer you don't want to be hiking a mile or two in shorts and Birkenstocks in the event of a forced approach.

Never mind that, even just making a precautionary forced landing at night in some godforsaken small-town aerodrome in the middle of loving nowhere, with only a shed and a payphone for facilities, you're gonna be pretty miserable if you're cold/wet/whatever waiting around for help to arrive in the morning.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

This isn't to say that all students and renters are morons. But enough of them are that you write policies to help the 5% avoid offing themselves or damaging your plane.

I'm trying to figure out the logic of this. The best I can come up with is that if you tell people to lean for best power, as is proper, good pilots will do it correctly and go just rich of maximum temperature/RPM, while bad pilots will just lean for the highest number and potentially blow up the engine. So your place's policy is to just have people run over-rich. Is that correct?

It seems iffy to me. My school is really nitpicky about mixture, even to the point of going slightly leaner whenever you put in the carb heat to compensate for the less-dense air going in. Don't mean this in a :smugdog: way but isn't it better to just...make people do it right?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

isn't it better to just...make people do it right?
Yes.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sagebrush posted:

Two of the planes at our flight school are ex-CAP and they still have the paint job with the pretty red stripes on the wings and I think it's a neat program in concept so it kinda bums me out that CAP are apparently a bunch of milspergs

Ditto, I was thinking about them as something to do with a license, since it's going to be awhile until I could angel flight.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

a patagonian cavy posted:

they were slacks, button down, and tie every day of the year.

is this due to the dress code expectations of airlines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Potato Salad posted:

is this due to the dress code expectations of airlines?

I'm in training at a major airline right now. We're allowed to wear jeans with a collared shirt during training. The only time we have to put on the full monkey suit is when we're actually operating a passenger flight, we're even allowed to deadhead not in uniform.

The hat is optional.