Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

cirus posted:

Really sucks that the unions are apparently per server. I couldn't get into any other server except for Puppet and LLJK doesn't show up.

More to the point the old-school MMO style servers shouldn't be a thing. Regional ones so that new players can get a fresh start is fine but not this stupid tiny servers that get full too fast thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The tooltip specifically says that Buriedbornes unions currently don't actually do anything and that functionality will be added next patch.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

DemonMage posted:

More to the point the old-school MMO style servers shouldn't be a thing. Regional ones so that new players can get a fresh start is fine but not this stupid tiny servers that get full too fast thing.

Seriously, I don't get this at all.

Well, apparently it appeals to whales who want to be the big fish in a small pond — I remember seeing Idle Heroes had like 100+ servers last I checked but the problem was that earlier servers had no influx of people and each had maybe one barely filled up guild.

I kind of like how AFK Arena seems to have done it, you belong to a server based on your join date and I think that affects your pvp arena ladder, but otherwise you can join any guild and whatnot that you want.

I downloaded Astral Chronicles to try it out earlier but both Global Launch and Dreamer, the two servers I knew people on, were marked as full so I gave up and wandered away basically.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Clocks posted:

Well, apparently it appeals to whales who want to be the big fish in a small pond —

Always wondered why simple mobile games stick to this archaic way of handling servers. This makes some sense and I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of the main considerations when setting it up this way.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 25, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just got a SNES30 Pro and was wondering, outside of Minecraft and Death Road to Canada, what are some games that benefit most from using a controller.

It's weird to me that I can officially say that I prefer the touch controls to using a controller in Stardew Valley, but here we are.

Edit: Jesus, Beyond Oasis, the main Sega Forever title I'm interested in, doesn't really support the controller. Ugh. :negative: I guess I'll finally find out what the big deal is with Kid Chameleon.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 25, 2019

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I've been playing this dumb AFK arena game and finally got around to finding the guild name and applying as wizliz.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just got a SNES30 Pro and was wondering, outside of Minecraft and Death Road to Canada, what are some games that benefit most from using a controller.

It's weird to me that I can officially say that I prefer the touch controls to using a controller in Stardew Valley, but here we are.

Edit: Jesus, Beyond Oasis, the main Sega Forever title I'm interested in, doesn't really support the controller. Ugh. :negative: I guess I'll finally find out what the big deal is with Kid Chameleon.

Check out their Android app that lets you do touch screen emulation.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

m.hache posted:

The LLJK Union is for Astral Chronicles.

No idea what's up with Buriedbornes

Oh gross

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Tried Astral Chronicles, couldn't get on with the art style, it's not my thing. Giving Elune a shot now!

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Pokemon Masters, the officially licensed Pokemon gacha, just soft-launched in Singapore and is available to play (in English) if you use a VPN.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You should absolutely give beyond Oasis a try on a proper emulator though. One of my all time favorites.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lowness 72 posted:

You should absolutely give beyond Oasis a try on a proper emulator though. One of my all time favorites.

That's the top-down Sega platformer/puzzler right? That game was something else. Never did beat it, some of the areas get confusing as hell later. Really awesome game overall though.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I don't think I've seen it mentioned but I've been having fun with Pirates Outlaws. It has FTL style branching map navigation with randomized events. Battle is a card based strategy with ammo as a style of action points. There are different pirates you unlock that have different abilities. I've had a lot better luck with the swordswoman pirate since melee attacks don't use ammo and she has lifesteal. So far I've only made it about 4 maps deep but I've been enjoying the combat.

here is a link

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

CompeAnansi posted:

Pokemon Masters, the officially licensed Pokemon gacha, just soft-launched in Singapore and is available to play (in English) if you use a VPN.

When things like this happen are you able to carry on playing once the English version comes out?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I don't think I've seen it mentioned but I've been having fun with Pirates Outlaws. It has FTL style branching map navigation with randomized events. Battle is a card based strategy with ammo as a style of action points. There are different pirates you unlock that have different abilities. I've had a lot better luck with the swordswoman pirate since melee attacks don't use ammo and she has lifesteal. So far I've only made it about 4 maps deep but I've been enjoying the combat.

here is a link

I've been playing this as well, it's polished and entertaining but I'm not sure how long it will keep me hooked, there doesn't appear to be as much depth as something like Night of the Full Moon. I feel like the hard 5-card hand limit is quite restrictive in terms of design space.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Morpheus posted:

That's the top-down Sega platformer/puzzler right? That game was something else. Never did beat it, some of the areas get confusing as hell later. Really awesome game overall though.

Ya and you have 4 different spirits you can use to help solve the puzzles/combat. I think I'm gonna replay it this weekend.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Vulpes posted:

I've been playing this as well, it's polished and entertaining but I'm not sure how long it will keep me hooked, there doesn't appear to be as much depth as something like Night of the Full Moon. I feel like the hard 5-card hand limit is quite restrictive in terms of design space.

I downloaded that as well but I haven't given it any time. I'll have to try it out soon then

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Applied in afk arena as buttlord

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

New Leaf posted:

When things like this happen are you able to carry on playing once the English version comes out?

No, you will be region locked to the Singapore server. This is just to try the game out and sate your curiosity. The game is OK. But with no PvP and the crappy simplified real-time combat system, it is at best a side game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

CompeAnansi posted:

No, you will be region locked to the Singapore server. This is just to try the game out and sate your curiosity. The game is OK. But with no PvP and the crappy simplified real-time combat system, it is at best a side game.

Goddammit Nintendo, how do you mess up a Pokemon Gacha?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Oh, I know. It's one of my all time favourites, and I remember renting it for a full week just so I could beat it back in the day.

I was so incredibly thrilled when it was originally re-released on the Wii VC, and love that it still gets support. If I'm going to actually buy any of the SEGA Forever games on the Play store, Beyond Oasis is my number one pick.

If that touchscreen emulation option from 8bitdo works, then I'll actually buy the game.

Now where's the love for Soleil/Crusader of Centy? It's like that game never existed. :negative:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

New Leaf posted:

Goddammit Nintendo, how do you mess up a Pokemon Gacha?

I know, right? It should have been the easiest thing ever. The mainline games are basically designed as a turn-based gacha to begin with, you just roll the dice by walking around instead of paying them money. :iiam:

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I remain convinced that mobile game design is George Costanza in The Opposite. If you have a good idea, do the opposite! Add predatory gambling, "content" in the form of RNG grinding, throw in some terrible localization and you've got yourself a mobile game.

On a related note I uninstalled Astral Chronicles. They somehow made a battle system in which there's way too much happening at once (so you can't see what's going on) and yet the auto attack means you're just waiting for your spells to come off cooldown while things happen around you. Drawing the spells is a neat idea but it's really unresponsive.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, I know. It's one of my all time favourites, and I remember renting it for a full week just so I could beat it back in the day.

I was so incredibly thrilled when it was originally re-released on the Wii VC, and love that it still gets support. If I'm going to actually buy any of the SEGA Forever games on the Play store, Beyond Oasis is my number one pick.

If that touchscreen emulation option from 8bitdo works, then I'll actually buy the game.

Now where's the love for Soleil/Crusader of Centy? It's like that game never existed. :negative:

Taking me back! I first found Beyond Oasis through Sega Channel. Did you have that? The original streaming service!!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Taking me back! I first found Beyond Oasis through Sega Channel. Did you have that? The original streaming service!!

Early on-demand video game poo poo is one thing I wish i could experience. I'd settle for that Quicken-looking NES cartridge that let you manage your banking. There's gotta be some good videos of them in use from back then.

Related (SNES):

Actually, from the way the video is produced that GIF is from, it seems like parody. Almost like it's just a bosskey so people think you're doing something important rather than playing a video game.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 26, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Nah, just rented it from the local grocery store, of all places. I think it was one of the last titles I rented from there before they shut down their video/game rental area and turned it into a flower shop (still in the same grocery store, mind you).

The music is extremely nostalgic to me, and it gave it an air of mystery. Adding to that was the fact that I had never heard of the game before randomly picking it up and checking out the back. LttP-esque overall gameplay with way more satisfying combat? Yes, please. It just felt like this treasure that I alone had found, because a game this good SHOULD be as popular as anything else on the system. I kept up with that stuff, too, reading Gamepro and a few other magazines when they came out. Still had never heard of Beyond Oasis whatsoever, and was always glad to have legitimately played it back in the age of the Genesis.

On the flipside of the 'why isn't this game more popular?' coin, I've played a lot of Vectorman and I will never understand the appeal. I say 'played a lot of', but that consists of me playing it when I borrowed it from a friend back in the day (so of course I spent hours trying to beat it, even though it wasn't really clicking with me), and also replaying a bit of it nowadays, and still hating it. gently caress Vectorman.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

how afk is afk arena really? Kinda wanting another game, but one that plays itself

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Hit some auto fight buttons once a day

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Help, I've been sucked in by pocket city

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WerrWaaa posted:

Hit some auto fight buttons once a day

Twice a day to maximise afk rewards.

It's not the worst afk game I have played, there is a bit of depth to it in a rock scissors paper kind of way, and I like the art style. I tend to log in and do the dailys and try once to get past the latest progress wall (boss fights in campaign mode).

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Applied to the AFK Arena goon guild as radiationcow.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I was really enjoying playing Egg inc, had almost saved up enough golden eggs since Oct to buy the Hyperloop transport.

Oh an update.

Not 25,000 golden Eggs anymore, now 50,000 golden Eggs.

Their shop has 6,750 for $19.99.

So now if I want to upgrade its going to cost $80 more, or the rest of my life playing.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

OgNar posted:

I was really enjoying playing Egg inc, had almost saved up enough golden eggs since Oct to buy the Hyperloop transport.

Oh an update.

Not 25,000 golden Eggs anymore, now 50,000 golden Eggs.

Their shop has 6,750 for $19.99.

So now if I want to upgrade its going to cost $80 more, or the rest of my life playing.

You're meant to get them through the Piggy Bank.

Which just had a cheap 1 dollar weekend, and then upped the price to 5 bucks.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Relentless posted:

You're meant to get them through the Piggy Bank.

Which just had a cheap 1 dollar weekend, and then upped the price to 5 bucks.

Yeah I got in on the $1 weekend and now I have over 2 million golden eggs. I feel that it won't be too much longer until I finally get to the last egg.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Money goes in, fun comes out.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

Money goes in, fun comes out.

Money goes in, fun comes out *

* Fun not guaranteed

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pseudohog posted:

* Fun not guaranteed

Neither is your phone's battery life HOHOHOHOHO :stat::wal:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Applied to the AFK Arena guild as Cinara

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Astral Chronicles is gonna keep me for a bit because you can use the fish you catch to have fish battles against other people who like fishing but i lurve fishing so i just use the boss fishies i caught to roll over any and all opposition. fish fights! 🐠🐡

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Is the goon guild in afk arena doing soren regularly? If yes, I might swap over.