Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Mehhhh

So how does it work with commoner characters? Do they just not have any special skills?
Crests aren't universal to all nobility, sometimes they don't manifest. So there are Nobles who don't get any special skills either. Crests also don't seem like that major a gameplay mechanic, like Byleth's is just 'occasionally heal for 30% of damage dealt,' which is nice but not a game changer. Of course we don't know activation rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nanigans posted:

Mehhhh

So how does it work with commoner characters? Do they just not have any special skills?

Yeah people without crests basically just lack a skill. Usually crest skills are activated abilities like Luna that do things like jack up weapon might randomly etc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nanigans posted:

Mehhhh

Outside of crests the only difference between commoners and nobles is each has a slight stat boost in different areas. For nobles it's charm which affects their battalion size from my understanding

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Nanigans posted:

Mehhhh

Commoners (mostly) don't have crests, though not all the nobles have them either. Think that's the only real difference.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Characters gain special skills if you work on their weakness to not be poo poo, that's how you get something like Skill Speed -6.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Nanigans posted:

Mehhhh

Byleth isn't a noble and their starting class is a commoner.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Endorph posted:

Daniel Woren, doesn't seem like he was in those (unless he was an uncredited extra) but he is a few voices in Dynasty Warriors and Arthur in Marvel vs Capcom 3. And Igor in Persona 4.

Ha, he's Liu Bei in DW4&5, that's where I know him from! Memory must have been working overtime to recall his voice from those. Thanks!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shiny777 posted:

Commoners (mostly) don't have crests, though not all the nobles have them either. Think that's the only real difference.

Also their very basic classes Commoner and Noble are identical except Noble increases Charm growth by 5% and Commoner doesn't because we really need to hammer home that Nobles are just better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah people without crests basically just lack a skill. Usually crest skills are activated abilities like Luna that do things like jack up weapon might randomly etc.

All characters have a personal skill. Characters with crests have an additional one. The difference between "commoner" and "noble" is flavor only.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
that 5% charm growth is going to be OP, people

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Characters gain special skills if you work on their weakness to not be poo poo, that's how you get something like Skill Speed -6.

This is only true for characters who have budding talents. Many don't and have no opportunity to gain extra skills.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Also their very basic classes Commoner and Noble are identical except Noble increases Charm growth by 5% and Commoner doesn't because we really need to hammer home that Nobles are just better.
I think nobles being very slightly better at leading armies makes sense in-universe, considering the state religion is built around nobles being the descendants of amazing heroes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
M!Byleth's voice credit was blanked in FE Heroes, it's probably going to be uncredited in three houses in a future patch (if it hasn't already).

This is probably because he broke NDA months ago.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

M!Byleth's voice credit was blanked in FE Heroes, it's probably going to be uncredited in three houses in a future patch (if it hasn't already).

This is probably because he broke NDA months ago.

Guessing if Byleth M shows up in future stuff he'll be recast, so hopefully this whole debacle has a happy ending

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Most trip reports come back that a.) Game is good but B.) Normal is rather easy, so you might want to just go right to hard.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Most trip reports come back that a.) Game is good but B.) Normal is rather easy, so you might want to just go right to hard.

it's also like Fates where you can drop down a difficulty level at any time in-game (but you can't go up a level), so if you're feeling tentative just start on hard and see how it goes anyways

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m little baby who always plays PoR and RD on Normal and Easy respectively despite playing through those games three times, so guess who’s playing on Normal Casual regardless.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm maybe I should go with the "kill the nobles" faction

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm going to play Normal Black Eagles first then Hard Gold Deer

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1154436147566841857

Guessing Lunatic is coming alongside the next DLC pack then

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The only real answer is to KILL THEM ALL. :black101:

plus blue is the best color.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Wasn't there something about the game having 4 difficulty levels just a few days ago?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna go Hard Classic though I expect the rewind option will take a lot of the tension out of Classic.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
My most recent actual fire emblem was faceplanting my way through echoes on hard casual so

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

not a bot posted:

Wasn't there something about the game having 4 difficulty levels just a few days ago?

Lunatic was mentioned in some previews but must not have been ready for launch.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I guess it's a good thing I'm getting this game late so I can hear how hard the difficulty levels actually are; kinda wanna go to the "Lunatic" difficulty straight away (which is called something else here, Maddening? Whatever the third one is) since we have the Turnwheel, unless it turns out to be some like, New Mystery Hard+++++ bullshit. I assume that's basically what the fourth difficulty level is, though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lunatic is going to be a day 1 patch, so it’s going to be available from the start.

Does anyone know what benefits New Game + gives you yet?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

dont they have literally the same crest and weapon as the ancient villain from a thousand years ago

You’d figure they’re marked for some pretty dark poo poo for that

Someone really really wanted a chosen one, and Byleth is the result of their attempts to create one using artificial means. But you only learn about the specifics of the process and the exact motivation in a single one of the routes. In the other three routes, people just don't care that much about it. A side effect of this revelation makes one of the supports really weird, but at least it isn't as disgusting as the revelation about Azura.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Lunatic is going to be a day 1 patch, so it’s going to be available from the start.

Does anyone know what benefits New Game + gives you yet?

You keep your professor levels.

You also might be able to swap character's pre/post outfits around?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

There are a few uncomfortable situations, however, particularly the option to invite students over for tea. It starts out harmless, with you having to guess what they want to talk about over snacks. But if you’re successful, you’re “rewarded” — not just with a more motivated pupil, but also the option to essentially leer at them for an extended period of time. It’s the kind of “fan service” that often appears in Japanese games,

truly i cannot imagine anything more depraved then 'looking across the table'

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Torrannor posted:

I'm switching to Blue Lions, because they are apparently the most gay of all the houses.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Looking at people intently when they are wearing their uniform is truly the most debauched of activities.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

drat Dmitri undressing me with his eyes.

Edit: \/ I thought of making that joke but the tea thing seemed more pre timeskip.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 25, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

drat Dmitri undressing me with his eyes.

eyes??

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Endorph posted:

I think classifying a professor taking a student into somewhere private and just staring them as "uncomfortable" isn't too far off the mark

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not a bot posted:

I think classifying a professor taking a student into somewhere private and just staring them as "uncomfortable" isn't too far off the mark
I mean it's just a chance to look at the character model in a bit more detail, not like you can stare directly down their cleavage. Not like anyone has cleavage to stare down. Except Raphael, I guess.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Think of it as the player, distinct from the character, looking at the other character.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Endorph posted:

I mean it's just a chance to look at the character model in a bit more detail, not like you can stare directly down their cleavage. Not like anyone has cleavage to stare down. Except Raphael, I guess.

It's the context that it's in.

Context matters.

If it was just a model viewer then it wouldn't be as weird.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, the whole "professor" thing has always been a bit odd, given Byleth's established age is apparently 21, just barely older than quite a few of the students - hell, they're younger than Mercedes.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 25, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, the whole "professor" thing has always been a bit odd, given Byleth's established age is apparently 21, just barely older than quite a few of the students - hell, they're younger than Mercedes.
Yeah, but has Mercedes taken a life??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
the downside to getting a physical copy is that I don't get to play it until I get my hands on it tomorrow

the upside is that I get to sleep tonight