Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

theshim posted:

the downside to getting a physical copy is that I don't get to play it until I get my hands on it tomorrow

the upside is that I get to sleep tonight

the upside downside is claude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Endorph posted:

I mean it's just a chance to look at the character model in a bit more detail, not like you can stare directly down their cleavage. Not like anyone has cleavage to stare down. Except Raphael, I guess.

Yeah it's definitely a pointless gripe, I wanted to emphasize what happens in-game because the reason why that happened was the reviewer first doing so and then writing about it. I'm pretty sure you're not forced to stare anyone in the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, the whole "professor" thing has always been a bit odd, given Byleth's established age is apparently 21, just barely older than quite a few of the students - hell, they're younger than Mercedes.

More like Super-TA

As a TA I am most def not allowed to take my students into a closet for tea

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Endorph posted:

truly i cannot imagine anything more depraved then 'looking across the table'

Disgusting.

*Blows on blushing, naked Niles after he comes out of the bath*

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Tipps posted:

Disgusting.

Phoneposting but https://youtu.be/g-rphn8ez3I

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tipps posted:

Disgusting.

same but with camilla

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Huh, cyril is a supportable character

Byleth really is a cradle robber

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I just bought a switch entirely for this game.

I think I like Fire Emblem too much.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

not a bot posted:

Wasn't there something about the game having 4 difficulty levels just a few days ago?

I'm guessing this is referring to there being a difficulty choice and Classic/Casual choice. Classic has permadeath, Casual does not. Normal/Classic, Normal/Casual, Hard/Classic, Hard/Casual. Four difficulties. (sort of)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Burginator posted:

I bought a japanese 3ds so I wouldn't have to wait 6 months to play awakening, I think you're fine

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm disappointed this game has been out for like 3 hours and it hasn't been completely data mined. What gives????

Anyway, can someone explain the mechanic where you have a character work on something they suck at and then they get better and unlock a new ability? Like, is this a situation where the character is going to be dead weight for a long time while they grind, and then suddenly they're hot poo poo? I'm picturing a Magikarp/Gyarados situation.

If they were going to give the nobles a 5% buff to charm, they should've given the commoners a 5% buff to resistance or dexterity or something related to having to work for a living lol. (Why yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder from growing up poor, why do you ask?)

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I'm guessing this is referring to there being a difficulty choice and Classic/Casual choice. Classic has permadeath, Casual does not. Normal/Classic, Normal/Casual, Hard/Classic, Hard/Casual. Four difficulties. (sort of)

No. Normal, hard and lunatic were mentioned and something after lunatic as well. I wonder if there's still one difficulty setting that's getting patched in, like an ironman mode.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Burginator posted:

I bought a switch and only played 2 games on it (Octopath, Xenoblade)

I literally haven't touched my switch in a year until I bought FE digitally a few days ago.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nanigans posted:

I'm disappointed this game has been out for like 3 hours and it hasn't been completely data mined. What gives????

it got datamined a week ago

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It'll be out at 11 Central tonight right?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

eonwe posted:

It'll be out at 11 Central tonight right?

Yes, for US copies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

I bought a switch and only played 2 games on it (Octopath, Xenoblade)

I literally haven't touched my switch in a year until I bought FE digitally a few days ago.

congrats on finally getting a good game on your switch

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

cheetah7071 posted:

it got datamined a week ago

Jesus Christ

Alright, who wants to give me all of the story spoilers and stats and stuff? I wanna build the stronkest shitkicking teenage army starting day 1.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Brother Entropy posted:

congrats on finally getting a good game on your switch

Uh, I enjoyed them?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Octopath was good despite its flaws but yeah xenoblade 2 sucked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Anyway, can someone explain the mechanic where you have a character work on something they suck at and then they get better and unlock a new ability? Like, is this a situation where the character is going to be dead weight for a long time while they grind, and then suddenly they're hot poo poo? I'm picturing a Magikarp/Gyarados situation.

The hidden skills don't seem super strong but you also only have to blow three study sessions on raising it, which is something you can do in a couple ingame months. It doesn't really seem like it'd take that much effort.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, since I'm not getting my physical copy until tomorrow, got bored and decided to find the stat totals for all the students.

Highest stat total: Edelgard at 385, with the other lords trailing at 375 (Dmitri) and 370 (Claude and Byleth).

Lowest stat total: Lysithea at 280

Highest non-lord: Ingrid with 370, with no one else breaking 350.

Number of students who are sub-300: 3 (Lysithea, Dedue, Raphael)

House of extremes: Golden Deer, boasting 2/3 of the sub-300s, along with the two 350s in the game (Lorenz and Leonie).

Overall average for non-lords: 329

Obviously distribution is important, so this isn't some "this character is good, this character sucks" thing, but it's interesting nonetheless that there's a nearly 100 point stat total difference between highest and lowest, even among the non-lords.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 25, 2019

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm down. Going to try this game love it or hate it. Would prefer the former.

The last Fire Emblem game I took seriously was the second GBA one released in NA, Sacred Stones. It was a good numbers game and I enjoyed elements of the admittedly simple story and characters.
After that entry I was kind of off-put by the Anime elements. I am ok with a dating sim and high school simulator - the Tokimeki Memorial games on the DS really pushed both genres ahead, and I admire what Personas 3 and 4 pulled off in the mainstream. I was a little taken aback by the not-war elements in newer entries, especially anything overtly sexual or little kids in the battlezone and romancezone. Like I could not imagine the FE series getting Kotaku articles about the amount/lack of rear end anymore than I could for Advance Wars, and it was really off-putting at the time.

But games are games and I'm willing to try getting over it because anime military Hogwarts sounds fun, even if it's not the Fire Emblem I grew up with. Hoping for the best.
Thanks for reading my essay on hating anime.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

If you gaze long into anime, anime also gazes into you

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

3 Houses sounds less weird than any modern Persona game tbh.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Terper posted:

Yeah, but has Mercedes taken a life??

Are you implying that she hasn't?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Minus Green posted:

She has skeletons in her closet.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Motto posted:

3 Houses sounds less weird than any modern Persona game tbh.

however, both series are known for being very weird towards lgbt

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Fire emblem def has mistepped with the gay supports but it isn't actively homophobic so it's quite a sight better then persona imo

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
gbf has a better track record wrt lgbt representation

please think about that for a minute

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't know what gbf is

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't know what gbf is

Granblue Fantasy. It's a gatcha with a crazy amount of characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Minus Green posted:

I am yes

Well I don't know about her specifically but a lot of your students haven't

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't wait to have my students kill people

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Are there gay supports in Fire Emblem? I thought the Fates options were just bi, and only for the MC.

On a sidenote, a trope I've really started hating is when a game will have exactly one bi character and they're portrayed like they're just so horny that they'll gently caress anyone, especially when that character creeps on their straight friends the whole game as a joke.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

not a bot posted:

Wasn't there something about the game having 4 difficulty levels just a few days ago?

I reported the four listed in the text dump, but it turns out the highest two weren't actually implemented.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Randallteal posted:

Are there gay supports in Fire Emblem? I thought the Fates options were just bi, and only for the MC.

On a sidenote, a trope I've really started hating is when a game will have exactly one bi character and they're portrayed like they're just so horny that they'll gently caress anyone, especially when that character creeps on their straight friends the whole game as a joke.

I believe there are no purely gay people in this game. Browsing the support lists it looks like there's at least one woman with a very strong preference for women but that's as close as it gets

FE was ironically gayer back in the day because the shipping was less explicit

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Randallteal posted:

A few. Some for the MC but there are others who can pair up romantically as well that the MC can't get with.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randallteal posted:

Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn had a gay dude as their main protagonist, that was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why would we expect gbf to have poor lgbt representation