Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am looking forward to all the new Star Trek shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

jeeves posted:

Isn't there like hours and hours of old footage of Data they could have just like digitally rotoscop'd into whatever they needed?

Of course it's easier just to get the actor back but whatever.

I find it laff that this is a franchise that recasts like crazy now ( :spock: ) but then is going to great lengths to do fan service for this series... oh wait they've blown all of their good will on Discovery so fan service is all they have left.

It's 2019.

They could've just deepfaked him.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Not gonna lie I've got a good feeling about STP now and I'm loving stoked. :siren::getin::siren:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Not gonna lie I've got a good feeling about STP now and I'm loving stoked. :siren::getin::siren:

Spoiler: Scott Weiland dies

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I just realized that CBS sells Star Trek to trekkies now the way Hasbro sells Transformers toys to it's fans. Lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

I just realized that CBS sells Star Trek to trekkies now the way Hasbro sells Transformers toys to it's fans. Lmao

lol if you think I'm buying anything

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At some point you realize that everything on TV is just there to make you buy (some form of) a toy.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Tighclops posted:

I am unaware of any merchandise even existing without looking it up, aside from Star Trek Online's in-game purchases, but at the same time I know there has to be Star Trek merchandise because

Kibayasu posted:

At some point you realize that everything on TV is just there to make you buy (some form of) a toy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s a handful of McFarlane figures and the long-running Eaglemoss ships, and uh... yeah that’s pretty much it aside from the yearly Hallmark stuff and an occasional DST figure. It’s not exactly a lucrative property for merchandise right now. McFarlane even cancelled some planned stuff earlier this year.

Definitely a far cry from Transformers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The official store has some real gems:

:laffo:

Not gonna lie though this one is kinda cool:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Hasbro schmasbro, I had lots of fun with the Playmates Star Trek toys in the mid-'90s. Everyone came with an "action base" based on their race and the phasers had goofy beams attached for some reason. The original lineup had Riker in a torn up shirt lol

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Is that a life-size cardboard cutout or...?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Is that a life-size cardboard cutout or...?

Only $39.99!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zurui posted:

EAS has a ton of really cool in-depth analysis about stuff nerds care about when they're into Star Trek a little more than is healthy. For example, here's an oft-cited article about the true size of the Defiant. The site used to feature more interesting analysis, but in the Long Night after 2005 turned into him (and some others) exhaustively cataloging every single prop that was ever on the show.

I'd appreciate the commitment a bit more if he was a bit more creative about the differences that crop up instead of using it to passive-aggressively bitch about anything from beyond Enterprise's time.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The official store has some real gems:

That coffee mug speaks to me.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Like 75% of Janeway's character is WANT COFFEE and they waste it like that?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Make the drat "there's coffee in that nebula" officially licensed mug already SMDH

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I should have explained my point better,

Transformers is constantly selling the 80's characters back to fans in increasingly detailed and complex variations over and over again because people want to be reminded of their childhoods, it's just pure nostalgia. I'm not saying this judgmentally either those fuckers got me good the past few years

It feels like Trek is doing the same thing, not to sell toys or move merchandise but to sell streaming subscriptions and so on

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Tighclops posted:

I should have explained my point better,

Transformers is constantly selling the 80's characters back to fans in increasingly detailed and complex variations over and over again because people want to be reminded of their childhoods, it's just pure nostalgia. I'm not saying this judgmentally either those fuckers got me good the past few years

It feels like Trek is doing the same thing, not to sell toys or move merchandise but to sell streaming subscriptions and so on

I am saying it judgementally

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jeeves posted:

Isn't there like hours and hours of old footage of Data they could have just like digitally rotoscop'd into whatever they needed?

Yes, but this is very expensive and time consuming to do. If it's done badly then it looks very obvious and sucks.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Fun production fact: Due to the lack of de-aging vfx technology in during TNG, they actually had to piece together the episode Rascals using old home movies of the cast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The Voyager intro is literally the best theme and some of the best visuals of the entire franchise. Best intro bar none.

Love that shot of it cutting through the clouds.

Love that shot of a gas giant the size of Pittsburgh.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Fun production fact: Due to the lack of de-aging vfx technology in during TNG, they actually had to piece together the episode Rascals using old home movies of the cast.

WAit. Were they actually the actors as children or what?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

a gas giant the size of Pittsburgh.

Please don't doxx me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think it was J-Ru who once imitated an executive greenlighting a Star Trek project by saying "we need a klangons and a borgs," and Klingons aside, that's really what Picard and Discovery feel like.

Star Trek made by people with only a passing level of interest in Star Trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

:chloe:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Star Trek made by people with only a passing level of interest in Star Trek.

The jury’s still out on Discovery, but Michael Chabon seems to have a genuine love for the franchise and I trust him to turn in a good series that doesn’t just rely on surface level callbacks. I mean, they brought back Hugh of all things. That’s a fairly deep cut.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s worth noting that just because Chabon is feeling it and trying is best does not mean the result will be good. He wrote John Carter which is way better than anything in the books it’s based on, but is still a dog of a movie.

It’s still cause for optimism compared to the hack work that has typified the last 20 years of this series but...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The jury’s still out on Discovery, but Michael Chabon seems to have a genuine love for the franchise and I trust him to turn in a good series that doesn’t just rely on surface level callbacks. I mean, they brought back Hugh of all things. That’s a fairly deep cut.
They shouldn't be bringing back anything at all. Through TNG's hundreds of episodes, they had one cameo by McCoy, a two-parter with Spock, and an episode with Scotty. The rest of the show they developed their own poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

They shouldn't be bringing back anything at all. Through TNG's hundreds of episodes, they had one cameo by McCoy, a two-parter with Spock, and an episode with Scotty. The rest of the show they developed their own poo poo.

Agree. I consider the vast majority of cameos and callbacks to be just a way of ingratiating yourself and proving your knowledge/loyalty to the franchise. I like TNG as everyone in this thread knows but that doesn't mean I want constant references to it, because they don't mean anything when they're divorced from context. So in that sense no matter how obscure of a character they're including it's still surface-level because it's just a name and and (maybe) image, it's not the gestalt of the show

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Unlike Star Wars this seems to actually be moving the story forward, rather than redoing the same thing and calling it a sequel.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

Sorry, it was all a ruse. They actually hired child actors to portray the characters as children.

Except Guinan. Young Guinan was accomplished using makeup, lighting, and an excellent performance by Whoopi Goldberg.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Seems kind weird to me to complain about bringing back old characters for what is literally a sequel to a very specific story.

Like, if they did a MASH sequel, I wouldn't be annoyed to see Trapper John or whatever in it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I guess we should all be happy that nostalgia milking has moved on to THE NEXT GENERATION instead of constantly trying to mine that Kirk era realm.

On another note, do any of you actually ever take a step back from the shifting baseline view of being like just raised with it already on the air to realize that "the next generation" is a loving hilarious title for a show? Oh Roddenberry.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

jeeves posted:

I guess we should all be happy that nostalgia milking has moved on to THE NEXT GENERATION instead of constantly trying to mine that Kirk era realm.

On another note, do any of you actually ever take a step back from the shifting baseline view of being like just raised with it already on the air to realize that "the next generation" is a loving hilarious title for a show? Oh Roddenberry.

Yeah, dude was probably thinking about GENERATIONS AS ITERATIONS OF HUMAN PROMISE AND THE SHIFT IN PHILOSOPHY WE WON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND OUR OWN CHILDREN, THEY'LL BE HAVING ORGIES AND WAVES OF CUM INSTEAD OF WAR WOWWWW

And everyone else is like "wow that's a bad title"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just always like the fact that the captain's right hand executive officer is to his right on the bridge AT ALL TIMES, and then to his left is his psychiatrist. That's pretty fukken late 80's Roddenberry all right.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Seems kind weird to me to complain about bringing back old characters for what is literally a sequel to a very specific story.

Like, if they did a MASH sequel, I wouldn't be annoyed to see Trapper John or whatever in it.

Yeah, it's not like TNG characters are out of place in a show continuing where TNG left off. Seven showing up is more comparable to the TOS characters who were in TNG, but it doesn't seem gratuitous. Her being in a story with the Borg makes sense, and it also makes sense to me that she would've met up with Picard at some point to talk about their experiences and try to work through it. How many people are there running around the Federation who were Borged? They have a good reason to know each other.

They did specifically talk about how they don't want it to just be a reunion show and characters would only show up if it made sense for them to be in the story. Now maybe they just said that and will poo poo all over it, but at the moment I see no reason to think it's out of place for a few TNG characters to be in TNG part two. I think it'd be weirder if they went out of their way to pretend the rest of the TNG cast doesn't exist and have Picard only.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They did a mash sequel that had Trapper John in it. It wasn't very good.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

jeeves posted:

It just makes me think of children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It makes sense from a meta view, but it tells you next to nothing about the show itself. I’m not sure what else you’d call it though? Star Trek: The Continuing Mission is a mouthful.

Star Trek: He’s Mean and He’s French