Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but it's absolutely insane how american evangelicalism has become a blatant death-cult.

my boomer parents both firmly believe that trump is a good and righteous man because he's the only politician willing to usher in the rapture by ensuring that all the apocalyptic prophesies about isreal come true. they'll openly tell you there's good jews (orthodox of course) and bad jews (every other denomination) and that trump is allied with netanyahu because he's a good jew and only by supporting him is there any chance of the biblical rapture happening. they're not shy at all about the theoretical loss of life that is explicit in the terms of the rapture; their attitude is "well everybody has had their chance to believe in the good word and accept jesus as their savior and if they have decided not to do that, it's no skin off my back. they made their choices and i'll be going to heaven when i die so what do i care". anyway a lot of other evangelicals in their age cohort seems to agree with this general interpretation of values and it basically means there's a non-trivial amount of voters that are voting for trump explicitly because they expect he's going to kill a whole lot of people and in so doing trigger the rapture.

like, there's "trump voters realizing they're going to die under trump" but i feel like "trump voters explicitly voting for trump because they expect to die under him" is just next level insanity.

the real lol is that you haven't carbon monoxided your lovely boomer parents yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

ur not allowed to talk about how the nay-saying conservative mouthpieces were wrong about everything, only about how this time they're certainly right

tbf i did see one thing from like a year or so ago about how seattle daycare operations were gonna probably hafta raise prices, since most of their overhead is labor costs

but point me to literally any city that has JOBS ECONOMY which isn't seeing childcare costs spiraling right alongside rents regardless of to what degree they're exploiting the workers responsible for babbies. they just desperately wanna blame that on a mandatory $3/hr raise

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf i did see one thing from like a year or so ago about how seattle daycare operations were gonna probably hafta raise prices, since most of their overhead is labor costs

but point me to literally any city that has JOBS ECONOMY which isn't seeing childcare costs spiraling right alongside rents regardless of to what degree they're exploiting the workers responsible for babbies

lol childcare costs are ballooning like crazy to the point where it costs more a month than a full time job will bring in, while labor is part of it I'm sure I cannot for a second imagine there's more going on there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
seriously

also it's loving journalistic malpractice that they're not all "whoa wait since when is a licensed childcare facility paying their workers minimum wage"

a lotta the time these places hafta offer significantly reduced or free admission for the kids of their employees, because otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford it on what they pay them

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i would assume that a daycare's operating costs run roughly 5% wages 5% rent 90% whatever insurance covers someone else's kid pissing in your electrical sockets

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a lotta the time these places hafta offer significantly reduced or free admission for the kids of their employees, because otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford it on what they pay them

my older brother's wife quit her job as a middle manager in retail to go be a teacher at her kid's pre-school because they did the math and figured out the savings in tuition + minimal hourly / salary was still a net gain for their family over her continuing to work at separate job + pay for childcare for two kids.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

90% whatever insurance covers someone else's kid pissing in your electrical sockets

it's this. any business that primarily deals with children has insane insurance rates

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"If you guys pay janitors more, I'm going to throw a goddamn hissy fit, because what the hell, that makes me sooooooooo mad"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My county proactively voted to raise the minimum to $15/hour, the state legislature promptly passed a law prohibiting cities and counties from establishing a min wage. Party of freedom.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Epic High Five posted:

lol childcare costs are ballooning like crazy to the point where it costs more a month than a full time job will bring in, while labor is part of it I'm sure I cannot for a second imagine there's more going on there

My 2 kids in daycare costs over $1600/month and I live in goddamn Kansas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

just ballparking it...i think the daycare my kid attends, maybe 30% of what i am charged is paying for the labor (and benefits) of the teachers in the classroom, but that doesnt account for the admin staff, rent and insurance.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ghostnuke posted:

My 2 kids in daycare costs over $1600/month
lol

quote:

and I live in goddamn Kansas.
LOL

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ghostnuke posted:

I live in goddamn Kansas.

Have you considered cross-posting in the Schadenfreude thread?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

lmao hatchi matchi

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

it's small solace in the grand scheme of things, but this warms my heart

Ghostnuke posted:

you know what would fix that?

a nice, fat tax cut*

*to the rich

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my buddy has a church near him that does free daycare with limited times and complains about all the deprogramming he has to do as a result but like, he still couldn't afford daycare if his pay was doubled and he can't quit so what can he do

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

my buddy has a church near him that does free daycare with limited times and complains about all the deprogramming he has to do as a result but like, he still couldn't afford daycare if his pay was doubled and he can't quit so what can he do

this is according to their plan

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

got any sevens posted:

this is according to their plan

ya lol, can't imagine they have to like be licensed or insured or anything like that either so there's always the risk your kid is being shuffled into an abuse mill

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ghostnuke posted:

in silicon valley we were paying $2k for one kid

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hi all. I quit my job about 5 years ago to take care of my daughter full time, and recognize that I am insanely lucky to be married to someone who earns enough that I don't need a job.

I spent three years doing lovely warehouse work before that for a company that gave me bullshit reasons why they could never give me a raise. Daycare around here, on average, would have been about 2/3s of my take home pay. Anyway, they had to hire two people to do the job I was doing alone. Congrats on saving yourself that fifty cents an hour or whatever, former employer.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

FMguru posted:

Most people "like" their health insurance because they haven't (yet) had to engage it over something expensive. They get their checkups and the flu shots paid for, a colorful newsletter full of wellness tips arrives in their mailbox every so often, and they have the peace-of-mind knowing that they're "covered" if something really bad goes wrong. Of course, once something serious and expensive happens, the insurance companies reveal their true demonic faces, but until then, as far as most people are concerned, everything is working great.

There's also the same thing you see in people opposed to raising the minimum wage. Getting good (or even "good") health insurance in America is an accomplishment, and if everyone has access to good health care, well that rather diminishes the value of what I did to land a job that offers good insurance, the same way people get really mad at the thought of janitors and bus drivers and food service workers closing the wage gap with them, despite not affecting them or costing them a nickel.

It's funny seeing people like this smugly tell me that the minute $15 per hour, all of the workers will be replaced by machines. For extra fun, mention what's stopping their job from being replaced as well. You'll either get rabid ranting or a list of reasons that you could easily train a robot to do in a day

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Burt Sexual posted:

My county proactively voted to raise the minimum to $15/hour, the state legislature promptly passed a law prohibiting cities and counties from establishing a min wage. Party of freedom.

North Carolinian spotted

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

lol if you have kids, just lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

having a child is the ultimate betrayal, the absolute worst thing you could ever, ever do to another person is bringing them into this shitfest of a world. i say this as a parent 100% unironically.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
you: will die of a goon induced heart attack
your grandchildren: will have to flee rising tides while dodging capture from slavewranglers to compete in Barron Trump’s Live Action Battle Royales

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Biplane posted:

having a child is the ultimate betrayal, the absolute worst thing you could ever, ever do to another person is bringing them into this shitfest of a world. i say this as a parent 100% unironically.

:hmmyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
*goons erupting from woodwork* IMAGINE THE EVIL OF BUSTING IN A FEMALE

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Biplane posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Biplane posted:

quote:

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the heat is melting all brains in all threads, I see

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i prefer being busted inside instead yes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pseudanonymous posted:

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/aug/03/bernie-s/did-conservative-study-show-big-savings-bernie-san/

Essentially even an extremely conservative think tank found that M4A could save up to 2 trillion dollars over 10 years. In context, you have to realize that figure is probably bullshit. The savings would probably be far higher, but Koch funded studies have a huge bias.

This is sort of what I was looking for but was hoping to find a reliable source/study that says "this is what you pay in premiums and deductibles" and "this is what you pay in taxes under M4A". It would maybe be higher for an individual under a national plan but when you factor in people who get crushed with ER visits and surgeries and poo poo, I'd tend to think that per capita it would be lower.

?

I commute 45 - 60 minutes to and from work and have had job offers much closer to home that don't offer healthcare coverage so, with an 8 year old son, it's a non starter for me and it pisses me off. I'd take a lower wage not to have waste 10 hours and $80 bucks a week driving.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

American public (ie government) spending on healthcare per capita is currently roughly the same as in countries that actually have UHC.

So pretty much the same. You have a source?

Serf
May 5, 2011

you gotta have kids in order to keep the economy running but the economy is so bad that having kids is financially impossible so you don't have kids and suddenly there's no one to work the jobs and there goes social security lol

capitalism is doomed to eat itself

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Get a vasectomy and buy a sports car.

Or, I guess, rent if you aren't a straight white male.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

My Trump voting father died of a brain cancer about a month ago. Thinking about his life, it occurs to me that he led the archetypal life of a boomer.

He was born into a family supported by a union electrician who later went on to become a union president. The decent wages and conditions allowed my grandfather to live in a nice house and send my father to college for engineering, the first in our family. My father's relationship with his own father became more strained as he headed into management later in life and as the Republican party stopped pretending to play nice with union workers.

My father appears to have always been right wing, but began to transform into a boomer chud in the age of Reagan. He never seems to have bought fully into the more esoteric Republican beliefs on voodoo economics or cutting all regulations. He was mostly a single issue voter, and that single issue was guns. Culture war issues were a useful cudgel to aggravate the libs but held no real animus for him.

During the early 1990s the company he spend 20 years working for was bought out by another company and he was laid off as redundant. It was the obvious conclusion to everything Reagan's economy embodied. He was able to find another job in local government that he held until a few years before he died. The working conditions were better and the benefits were light years ahead. None of this had any effect on his shallowly considered belief that governments needed to be cut down and that the free market could handle it better.

I watched him transform further during the 1990s as a result of the Contract with America and the explosion Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. No longer would he consider political views outside of the pre-scripted talking points. For someone going through their own teenage political formation, it made earnest conversation all but impossible.

The Bush years were banner years, sort of. All of the ideals he should have loved were politically ascendant but he never seemed satisfied with it. He was not terribly pleased with the invasion of Iraq even if he was fine with Afghanistan. In the 2008 primary he bafflingly chose to vote for Fred Thompson. The election of Obama broke his political will and from then on he just seemed sullen and bitter on the subject of politics. He never seemed to like Trump and thought he was an idiot. He voted for him, though. Anything to see Clinton eat poo poo on a national stage.

In some ways it was not as dire as it sounds. All the Limbaugh in the world couldn't break his love for his family and he supported my brother and me through mistakes that flew against the conservative mindset. He also loved babies and had a great relationship with his grandchildren.

I will miss him despite the fact that our conversations needed to be carefully cultivated to avoid politics. I think this is true of many boomers and their children.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ghostnuke posted:

Holy shitballs America

nah
Mar 16, 2009

im gonna have my 3rd kid in a few months. if i have to live through this poo poo, i have to punish others to do so as well

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Holy shitballs America

and now consider that the daycare workers taking care of those kids for that money can't make ends meet because they're getting paid minimum wage.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Holy shitballs America

Yeah even though healthy, happy societies tend to have their populations stabilize rather than exponentially grow forever, I genuinely think with some proper-rear end family benefits we might see more childbirths in the US. It's fuckin' hard to have kids here.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BiggerBoat posted:

This is sort of what I was looking for but was hoping to find a reliable source/study that says "this is what you pay in premiums and deductibles" and "this is what you pay in taxes under M4A". It would maybe be higher for an individual under a national plan but when you factor in people who get crushed with ER visits and surgeries and poo poo, I'd tend to think that per capita it would be lower.

The problem is it's not in any powerful groups interest to do the study correctly. Both Corporatist Democrats and basically all Republicans are owned by the insurance industry. And they, in turn, have tremendous influence over the think tanks.

The fact that it's cheaper and has better outcomes in virtually every country with Universal Health care tells you most of what you need to know: https://www.healthsystemtracker.org...milar-countries

But as to who would be taxed, that depends on how regressive or progressive is the law that pays for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Most white Americans do want uhc, they just don't want non-white people to have it too.

I mean it's just like anything else in this thread, you either have to believe half the country is completely immune to any sort of evidence based good faith argument and constantly act against their own self interest, or Occam's razor suggests there's probably something that they can't say out loud.