Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Is that bar in any way configurable? It can be useful but I've had it get in the way more than I'd like.

Here's a program somebody wrote to get rid of it entirely. (Note that the OSD also shows useful stuff like screen brightness on laptops and that will be gone.) The other thing that would work is an autohotkey script to preempt media keys entirely, then make that always change global windows volume or do something else useful.

Otherwise no, there's no configuration for it and if an app is displaying annoyingly stuff on the OSD all you can do is look for a disable option in the app itself. Spotify is often called out for this, it has a setting for "disable overlay when using media keys".

If that thing and various other win10 glitz could be positioned it would be pretty amazing. It's like, that's what my second screen is over there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Klyith posted:

There are a bunch of troubleshooting things you can try including
windows store app troubleshooter
reset the windows store
use powershell to reinstall built-in apps
and when those don't work you can start manually poking at poo poo like deleting the directory it's hung up on yourself.

...or you can just install xnview or ifranview to look at your photos and not deal with this bullshit. Just be thankful it's only the photos app that's hosed up and not the start menu or taskbar.

Well I tried all that. Reinstalling everything with powershell gave me reams of app deployment errors, and I was able to delete the Photos folder in AppData\Packages but it any time I try to reset the app the event viewer still gives me the error that the app needs to be closed. Even after I terminate it and it's clearly not running in the task manager

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Sininu posted:

Enter this to the address bar and set it to disabled
chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling

Thank you!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Khablam posted:

99.999% of that is just literally the SSD upgrade.

Yeah, I honestly bet it would run better under Windows 7, not that I'd recommend it. To replace an hdd with an ssd, and then say the speed increase is due to windows 10 makes little sense

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

99.999% of that is just literally the SSD upgrade.

17xx and 18xx fresh installs on this specific hardware were never as good as this one. Though I'll admit it's totally subjective, all things considered.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Found this on an Ars Technica discussion thread and I have to share.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vanagoon posted:

yep pretty good, needs to read more like the user’s four years old though

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Last Chance posted:

yep pretty good, needs to read more like the user’s four years old though

You mean like the "Your files are exactly where you left them" thing from a few upgrades back?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Vanagoon posted:

You mean like the "Your files are exactly where you left them" thing from a few upgrades back?

Or this one: Oh no, your PC had an oopsie daisy :'(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Vanagoon posted:

That angers me like nothing else. I get it that you don't want to confuse/scare away tech illiterate people with fancy tech speak all over the screen, but for god's sake, add a mechanism to expand into detailed progress text and bars ("Hit SPACE for more details" or some poo poo). Would sure as gently caress help diagnosing stuck boots and installs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lambert posted:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

My fav message is when the fingerprint reader doesn't work and it says "Something went wrong on our end"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Unclear error messages should be a federal crime, jesus christ

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
A button that says "More details... GEEKS ONLY DON'T SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Honestly I'd rather get "Error 0x29385748931579074" than *frowny face* *fart noise* "Oopsie :( :( :(" because at least I can loving google the hex string and get SOMEWHERE

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Oh, snap

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I had that one the first time I tried upgrading to 10 (from 8.1). Turns out Control Panel > Region > Administrative > Language for non-Unicode programs was set to something other than English (US) causing the whole installed to fail.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wasn't there a previous iteration of windows that more or less literally said "something happened?" This seems vaguely familiar.

FE: Something along the lines of "windows has encountered a catastrophic error and that is all we can say l8s and good loving luck." I'm not even kidding. Someone's gotta know what screenshot I'm talking about.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Vanagoon posted:

I wasn't worried that Windows had hosed with my files until I saw this message.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

dissss posted:

I had that one the first time I tried upgrading to 10 (from 8.1). Turns out Control Panel > Region > Administrative > Language for non-Unicode programs was set to something other than English (US) causing the whole installed to fail.

They probably don't test the non US builds. Because they fired all of QA.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Vanagoon posted:

Man this speaks to me, but in all fairness has anyone in the history of computing managed an accurate progress bar?

I don't know what's more infuriating. Sitting at 99% forever, or sitting at 100% for longer than 5 seconds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bobua posted:

Man this speaks to me, but in all fairness has anyone in the history of computing managed an accurate progress bar?

I don't know what's more infuriating. Sitting at 99% forever, or sitting at 100% for longer than 5 seconds.

it's not the progress bar, it's the complete lack of any feedback or useful info on these screens.

"is anything happening? is it stuck? why is it stuck? nope, it's suddenly done now!"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lambert posted:

I can't stand this. I HATE MS's overly familiar general tone.

HEY, WE'RE GETTING THINGS SET UP FOR YOU.

Who the gently caress is we? gently caress off.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
For all Windows' and Microsoft's faults, I really have to commend MS for being quite a bit more developer friendly lately.

Story: At my work we're a linux shop and quite small. Only have one Windows laptop for ... i don't even remember why we have that. A week ago some prospective client asked us to provide them with a demo of a tool of ours for Windows 10. I haven't done C++ development in windows for many years now, and I remember it wasn't easy to get 3rd party libraries compiled and ready to use for windows. However, I was extremely pleasantly surprised to discover vcpkg. BSD's ports system to windows. No idea since when they have it but it exists. And it works. Tell it to compile mlpack, opencv, boost and it just did it. Just as easy like it is in Linux or BSD. Point the compiler to the include folder and lib folder and it just works. Sure, windows is still windows and is quite a pain to use in general, but man, I was impressed. Vcpkg is quite the bomb.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MS has always favored developers and at best has mild disdain for its users, and at worst mocking contempt for them

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Volguus posted:

For all Windows' and Microsoft's faults, I really have to commend MS for being quite a bit more developer friendly lately.

Story: At my work we're a linux shop and quite small. Only have one Windows laptop for ... i don't even remember why we have that. A week ago some prospective client asked us to provide them with a demo of a tool of ours for Windows 10. I haven't done C++ development in windows for many years now, and I remember it wasn't easy to get 3rd party libraries compiled and ready to use for windows. However, I was extremely pleasantly surprised to discover vcpkg. BSD's ports system to windows. No idea since when they have it but it exists. And it works. Tell it to compile mlpack, opencv, boost and it just did it. Just as easy like it is in Linux or BSD. Point the compiler to the include folder and lib folder and it just works. Sure, windows is still windows and is quite a pain to use in general, but man, I was impressed. Vcpkg is quite the bomb.

There's also the Microsoft subsystem for Linux, a way to seamlessly run Linux on Windows, which is super handy (and getting a big upgrade soon).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lambert posted:

There's also the Microsoft subsystem for Linux, a way to seamlessly run Linux on Windows, which is super handy (and getting a big upgrade soon).

Oh I've heard about that, but this was not our purpose here. We needed to compile our crap on windows, as it already compiles and runs perfectly fine in linux. The MS Linux is cool I guess for someone who doesn't want/can't run Linux fully but still needs to fiddle with it from time to time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Last Chance posted:

MS has always favored developers and at best has mild disdain for its users, and at worst mocking contempt for them

developers x4
repeat

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

it's not the progress bar, it's the complete lack of any feedback or useful info on these screens.

"is anything happening? is it stuck? why is it stuck? nope, it's suddenly done now!"

I forget which Linux distro I used in the past, but it had what I thought was the best solution to this on boot. Normally the graphical boot splash would come up with a progress bar. If it stalled anywhere for a long time it showed what step it was on. If you pressed Escape it went away and showed you the full standard Linux boot console I don't know if that's still a thing, I honestly don't see the boot screen often enough or long enough to think about it.

The same principle could easily be extended to basically everywhere there's a progress bar that's indicating anything more complicated than a simple file transfer. Show the simple, friendly UI by default, if things take longer than expected give us some info, and most importantly let us see exactly what's going on if we want to.

I just updated my laptop from Ubuntu 18.04 to 19.04 last night and the update process got the important parts of that right. It doesn't have a full simplified UI so it displays the exact step all the time, but there's a button that'll expand the dialog and show the processes running in a terminal that are ultimately actually doing things.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Volguus posted:

Anything in particular you find a pain to use in Windows?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

wolrah posted:

I forget which Linux distro I used in the past, but it had what I thought was the best solution to this on boot. Normally the graphical boot splash would come up with a progress bar. If it stalled anywhere for a long time it showed what step it was on. If you pressed Escape it went away and showed you the full standard Linux boot console I don't know if that's still a thing, I honestly don't see the boot screen often enough or long enough to think about it.

The same principle could easily be extended to basically everywhere there's a progress bar that's indicating anything more complicated than a simple file transfer. Show the simple, friendly UI by default, if things take longer than expected give us some info, and most importantly let us see exactly what's going on if we want to.

I just updated my laptop from Ubuntu 18.04 to 19.04 last night and the update process got the important parts of that right. It doesn't have a full simplified UI so it displays the exact step all the time, but there's a button that'll expand the dialog and show the processes running in a terminal that are ultimately actually doing things.

You can usually hit ctrl-alt-f2 or something like that to always reach a console from the WM.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bobua posted:

A piece of data processing software I used many years ago at work had a progress bar that would regularly go backwards.. It would trundle through folders looking for files to process, and show a indicator of how far along it was processing the files it found. But at the same time I guess it would also find more files, so the progress bar, along with the percentage would occasionally jump backwards a bit.

It was infuriating. It would have been better if it wasn't there at all.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anything in particular you find a pain to use in Windows?

Nothing in particular per se, just in general discomfort and unfamiliarity, updates & reboots unprompted (which I understand why they're happening, but for a machine & OS that gets used very rarely and that I need to work right now, and for which I really do not care how secure or insecure it is, it's quite aggravating). There are tons of tools out there for windows that make a user's life easier, but a plain, pretty much vanilla windows I found to be quite useless. I mean, notepad is as basic as they come, nano is more capable than that. For anything better one needs to go an hunt and install and do this and do that, taking up time that I do not know if it's worth it for the hour(s) or so I was about to use it.

And it pissed me off once as it rebooted on me in the middle of the night, while I let it compile and install a bunch of packages, as being a laptop is on the slower side and compilation takes a while. I fiddled with settings and it didn't do that afterwards, but yeah, it sneaks up on you without warning.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Volguus posted:

And it pissed me off once as it rebooted on me in the middle of the night, while I let it compile and install a bunch of packages, as being a laptop is on the slower side and compilation takes a while. I fiddled with settings and it didn't do that afterwards, but yeah, it sneaks up on you without warning.

If you don't want your system to update automatically while it's running a processing task, you need to press the "Pause updates for 7 days" button in Windows Update (you can pause for a longer period of time manually on Pro). Unfortunately, it's not longer possible to set the system to not reboot automatically.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

necrotic posted:

You can usually hit ctrl-alt-f2 or something like that to always reach a console from the WM.

A useful feature on its own, especially if the GUI environment ends up broken, but not really the same unless the thing you're looking for progress on something that's logging to syslog and your distro has syslog pointed at one of the virtual terminals.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can anyone explain to me how to change this? When I copy a folder into a destination, instead of giving me the "overwrite option, it adds it to the folder and just creates a "copy" wtf is this

Edit: my computer decided to default this 140gb folder with like 15,000 items as read only :/

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 26, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
To all those people mentioning vfio and Linux as an alternative, it is perfectly viable if you’re like me and have 2 of everything (VGA cards/NICs/sound devices).

The problem is for me that Lutris with Wine-Staging and dxvk handles everything so well the only time I need to use Windows on QEMU/KVM is PS4 remote play which is the only program I’ve had problems with under WINE.

Other than that, I’ve got a NeXTSTEP clone as a window manager under X11 and I’m trucking along computering like it’s 1999 just fine. gently caress it.

e: I mean even Spotify and Discord and all that electron poo poo runs native fine too now. The worst part was circumventing Nvidia being cunty with error 43 under vfio, which took maybe an hour to figure out.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 26, 2019

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Surprised no one's mentioned this yet:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4505658/windows-10-update-kb4505658

"Updates an issue that prevents newly installed or updated applications from appearing in Windows search results."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

Unfortunately, it's not longer possible to set the system to not reboot automatically.

It is, it just involves a lot more work than manually flipping a setting. So now everybody who needs it is far less likely to re-enable the functionality after they finish whatever they were doing. Security!