Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Golden Gael posted:

Unlike Star Wars this seems to actually be moving the story forward, rather than redoing the same thing and calling it a sequel.
Or just going backwards in time or redoing the first thing again but worse, like every Star Trek since Voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It makes sense from a meta view, but it tells you next to nothing about the show itself. I’m not sure what else you’d call it though? Star Trek: The Continuing Mission is a mouthful.

Star Trek: He’s Mean and He’s French

They could have just called it Star Trek.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Epicurius posted:

They did a mash sequel that had Trapper John in it. It wasn't very good.

They actually did 3 MASH sequels. They all sucked.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The last 4 Star Trek shows were named after the vessel that the crew rode around in, so I think Patrick Stewart is going to be giving a lot of piggyback rides.

Peachfart posted:

They actually did 3 MASH sequels. They all sucked.

God, really? I only knew about AfterMash and a couple early computer commercials.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

marktheando posted:

They could have just called it Star Trek.

This would not have worked in the era of looking at a grid in the newspaper to find out what is on TV.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

SlothfulCobra posted:

The last 4 Star Trek shows were named after the vessel that the crew rode around in, so I think Patrick Stewart is going to be giving a lot of piggyback rides.

God, really? I only knew about AfterMash and a couple early computer commercials.

Trapper John M.D. was the name of one of them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nullsmack posted:

Trapper John M.D. was the name of one of them.

Wasn't that a spinoff from the movie?

The other spinoff was a pilot called "W*A*L*T*E*R" with Radar becoming a cop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

jeeves posted:

Isn't there like hours and hours of old footage of Data they could have just like digitally rotoscop'd into whatever they needed?

Of course it's easier just to get the actor back but whatever.

I find it laff that this is a franchise that recasts like crazy now ( :spock: ) but then is going to great lengths to do fan service for this series... oh wait they've blown all of their good will on Discovery so fan service is all they have left.

Yeah I mean I guess they could have just gotten Leonard Nimoy back to play Spock not sure why they didn't just do that

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s a handful of McFarlane figures and the long-running Eaglemoss ships, and uh... yeah that’s pretty much it aside from the yearly Hallmark stuff and an occasional DST figure. It’s not exactly a lucrative property for merchandise right now. McFarlane even cancelled some planned stuff earlier this year.

Definitely a far cry from Transformers.

I have a full TNG bridge crew of the Playmates figures various series and didn't pay more than 5 bucks for each thanks to various comic/toy/game expos exploding in popularity. I even made sure to get the Counselor Troi in a proper uniform /Jelico

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Drone posted:

Wonder if the Starfleet Dental dentist is still... well, a thing.

There's a Stargate SG-1 themed hairdresser about a kilometer from my office, so weird themed businesses are definitely still a thing.

Hey I know this is pages old, but do you have pics of that? Because that's amazing and bizarre.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I am looking forward to all the new Star Trek shows

good luck

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

They shouldn't be bringing back anything at all. Through TNG's hundreds of episodes, they had one cameo by McCoy, a two-parter with Spock, and an episode with Scotty. The rest of the show they developed their own poo poo.

Remember, STD is what happens when current Trek showrunners try to make their own poo poo. Spoilers: it's actual human poo poo.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Golden Gael posted:

I'd appreciate the commitment a bit more if he was a bit more creative about the differences that crop up instead of using it to passive-aggressively bitch about anything from beyond Enterprise's time.

Remember when Enterprise was an obvious slap in the face to anyone who cared about continuity because it used TNG-style Klingons, and the Enterprise looked too much like an Akira-class, and everyone knows Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet, what are they trying to pull with this nonsense, is this a stealth reboot or what?

I'm looking forward to twenty years from now, when people will be very angrily complaining about how Star Trek: Deep Space Ten and Admiral Tilly: The Series don't fit with Discovery's aesthetic...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Angry Salami posted:

Remember when Enterprise was an obvious slap in the face to anyone who cared about continuity because it used TNG-style Klingons, and the Enterprise looked too much like an Akira-class, and everyone knows Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet, what are they trying to pull with this nonsense, is this a stealth reboot or what?

I'm looking forward to twenty years from now, when people will be very angrily complaining about how Star Trek: Deep Space Ten and Admiral Tilly: The Series don't fit with Discovery's aesthetic...

Like, I *get* that they're going for a classic original series look with the long, non-spinning camera shots, but in my mind Trek is about spinning, y'know? Star Trek: Discovery had a spinning camera, so did Star Trek: S31, Star Trek: Pike and and Star Trek: Mirror. Going back to the still shots is really... I dunno. Just loses the tension for me.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wasn't that a spinoff from the movie?

There was actually a lawsuit over that. The producer of the film had right of first refusal for any spinoff, and also royalties for any spinoff from the book or movie, so he sued. Fox said that it was a spinoff of the show, not the movie. The judge split the difference, giving him royalties but denying his right to produce it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the de-evolving thing is always dumb as hell, the Next Generation episode Genesis was at least fun to watch as it had a lot of imagination. Spider-Barkely, Frog-Troi and Lobster-Worf are at least visually interesting and the makeup department were obviously having a lot of fun with even small things like the bitemark that Worf left on Troi's neck.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

But Enterprise was terrible?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Peachfart posted:

But Enterprise was terrible?

Not saying it's not, just it amuses me that the canon-obsessed have totally embraced it now there's a new thing around they can complain about looking wrong.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's par for the course. When TNG started there were plenty of vocal Trek fans who said they would never accept it. My best friend when I was growing up refused to watch it. Even after it got good, it didn't matter.

People gonna people. I get irrationally angry about plenty of stuff being not exactly how I like it, so I get it. I just don't get that way about Star Trek. But I get why some people do. And if there's any place I'd expect to find them, it'd be on an ancient internet forum posting their indignities in a star trek thread.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Trapick posted:

Hey I know this is pages old, but do you have pics of that? Because that's amazing and bizarre.

Their waiting room, which I can't find a good high-res photo of, looks like a drop ship or some poo poo:

Weirdly their Facebook page doesn't have many shots of the interior, and none of the exterior. It's a chain hair salon (like a Great Clips in the US), and the outside is all really dark tinted glass with a giant frosted word "STARGATE" above the salon chain logo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Picard show looks like it has a big cast who might take away much valuable Picard time.

If they have the balls though to use the Borg, one of the franchise's most succesful threats, only to actually do a heartfelt story of refugees, traumatized victims on both sides finding their place et al, I'll be impressed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The answer BTW was "Star Trek: Part Deux."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Picard show looks like it has a big cast who might take away much valuable Picard time.

If they have the balls though to use the Borg, one of the franchise's most succesful threats, only to actually do a heartfelt story of refugees, traumatized victims on both sides finding their place et al, I'll be impressed.

marvel's been doing that with their skrulls for a couple years now

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

Their waiting room, which I can't find a good high-res photo of, looks like a drop ship or some poo poo:

Weirdly their Facebook page doesn't have many shots of the interior, and none of the exterior. It's a chain hair salon (like a Great Clips in the US), and the outside is all really dark tinted glass with a giant frosted word "STARGATE" above the salon chain logo.

They're probably trying to avoid a cease-and-desist letter.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Drone posted:

STARGATE
Thank you for this, it really satisfied my curiosity. How very strange.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

This is confusing, because how would the Intrepid have a whole ship of Vulcans of varying rank (including, presumably, Captain) by the time this guy is a Lieutenant Commander? gently caress that guy and his lack of thought.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

There was an episode where a small town barber started having “memories” of SG-1’s hijinks and wouldn’t shut up about it to his clients.

I imagine this is somehow connected to that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jealous Cow posted:

There was an episode where a small town barber started having “memories” of SG-1’s hijinks and wouldn’t shut up about it to his clients.

That is one hell of a deep cut.

Gonna open up a barbershop called Mr. Mot's.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My opinion of Picard is it looks like an action movie so it's going to be bad. TNG was not an action-adventure show and their attempts to make it into one in the movies failed.

Like it'll have Picard and Jeri of Ryan and Spaceships in it but I simply do not have any interest in a generic action story with Picard in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There’s maybe three action shots in that whole trailer. Picard shooting a disruptor, that scene with the helmeted people chasing the girl, and maybe something with a ship? People have been freaking out all week about the trailer having ‘too much action’ but it really doesn’t.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They should've just brought back Picard as the captain of the ship in the Lower Decks show and have him voiced by PStew but have him act like Bullock instead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just hope since it's in the future of tng they future it up a little bit "Fire Mega phasers! Route auxhilary power to the dark matter Shield. Prepare to launch ultra neutrinotonic torpedoes "

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I just hope since it's in the future of tng they future it up a little bit "Fire Mega phasers! Route auxhilary power to the dark matter Shield. Prepare to launch ultra neutrinotonic torpedoes "

Activate... the LIGHTNING SHIELD *dramatic organ music*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Holodeck, captain Picard? Please, that's a 20 year old technology. We use the Sim-u-Room now

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s maybe three action shots in that whole trailer. Picard shooting a disruptor, that scene with the helmeted people chasing the girl, and maybe something with a ship? People have been freaking out all week about the trailer having ‘too much action’ but it really doesn’t.

But why would they chose to highlight the exciting action scenes in a trailer? Everyone knows the best scenes to put into a trailer are ones with quiet dialogue and thoughtful ideas, because they translate best when stripped of context and shown out of order in a minute-long teaser!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Holodeck, captain Picard? Please, that's a 20 year old technology. We use the Sim-u-Room now

The holodeck is now just a device that suspends you in forcefields and projects the view into your eyes which is much more space-efficient and also great to watch from the outside.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Picard: "Set course and engage at Warp 9"
Helmsman: "ugh, grandpa's at the wheel again i guess."
Picard: "I beg your pardon?"
Helmsman: "this isn't a leisurely ride to church. if you aren't going at least Slipdrive Factor X with Nucleoinjectors dialled into Maximum Anti-Eleven, we won't get there on time to save all the Borgfugees from the Romulanazis."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Picard discovers a long lost technology involving mushrooms and combines it with iconian magic to create a portal powerful enough to shitpost in this very thread

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Love that episode. It's Dan Castellaneta, aka Homer Simpson, playing the barber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Picard discovers a long lost technology involving mushrooms and combines it with iconian magic to create a portal powerful enough to shitpost in this very thread

Hey, stop spoiling upcoming questlines for Star Trek Online :v: