Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Because of the sliding timescale, mutants have experienced more violence than any real life ethnic group in the last hundred years. 16 million mutants died in an instant in Genosha and that was probably less than 10 years ago in universe. Like, the entire adult population remembers that happening, and since the mutant population of Genosha was almost entirely immigrants, way more people outside of Genosha lost someone they cared about than in most localized disasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Barry Convex posted:

Which rumor?

Mutants are immortal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Barry Convex posted:

Which rumor?

Like immediately before House of X/Powers of X was announced there was an anonymous tumblr comment (that was really angry and dismissive but whatever it's anonymous people on tumblr that's par for the course) that there was going to be a Hickman-led X-Men relaunch with the central hook being (this may or may not be true that's your last warning before clicking on this) mutants are revealed to be functionally immortal. The exact mechanics of this weren't mentioned in the comment though if I had to guess it probably has something to do with those pods.

Would definitely explain why it's not just characters who died in Rosenberg's run that are suddenly and inexplicably back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ah so Hickman wasn't lying when he said he really wanted to write The Eternals.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

Like immediately before House of X/Powers of X was announced there was an anonymous tumblr comment (that was really angry and dismissive but whatever it's anonymous people on tumblr that's par for the course) that there was going to be a Hickman-led X-Men relaunch with the central hook being (this may or may not be true that's your last warning before clicking on this) mutants are revealed to be functionally immortal. The exact mechanics of this weren't mentioned in the comment though if I had to guess it probably has something to do with those pods.

Would definitely explain why it's not just characters who died in Rosenberg's run that are suddenly and inexplicably back.

huh. well, it seems fairly clear that HoX/PoX (the latter in particular) is going to entail some sort of major retcon(s) to the history and/or nature of mutants in the Marvel Universe, and I guess that would fit what we've seen, but we'll find out soon enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like Hickman's dryness. He just doesn't care but is not an rear end in a top hat about it, he is just oddly funny.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Just read UXM#22.... it was a parody, right?
I felt that Rosenberg's run wasn't great but had some nuggets of almost interesting ideas... felt like a depressing and cynical last story of x-men.
But this last issue felt like it was poo poo out without anyone involved giving a crap about the end product.
Unless Hickman really turns things around, I will be done with X-men. Cant believe a serious publisher allowed this turd to be released. WTF is happening with the editorial? Jordan White seems like a giant tool, but still....

I guess I have to realize that Claremont's X-men ended almost 30 years ago, and stick to reading good comics....

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Putrid Grin posted:

Just read UXM#22.... it was a parody, right?
I felt that Rosenberg's run wasn't great but had some nuggets of almost interesting ideas... felt like a depressing and cynical last story of x-men.
But this last issue felt like it was poo poo out without anyone involved giving a crap about the end product.
Unless Hickman really turns things around, I will be done with X-men. Cant believe a serious publisher allowed this turd to be released. WTF is happening with the editorial? Jordan White seems like a giant tool, but still....

I guess I have to realize that Claremont's X-men ended almost 30 years ago, and stick to reading good comics....

House of X was good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hickman's House of X basically completely ignores everything from Uncanny. :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah, I suspect some stuff from the Age of X-Man event will come up, but the main Uncanny series will be left in the dust.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There was a lot I liked about AoX, but (strange as it may seem) the one little detail I wish they had kept was AoX's Jean outfit. It was a more modern version of her classic Marvel Girl attire, than the old thing with the mask Hickman's using. Unless there's a point to it, the mask actually seems to detract from the whole separate culture thing Hickman's going for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not really, the dead and injured X-Men are for sure resurrected and healed by those pods on Krakoa as we see Cyclops emerge from one with focus on his eye that was recently shot out by Hope.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm intrigued not just the new/old costume but also the reference to Jean as "Mrs. Grey." Those are the small, meaningless/massively consequential details that have really lodged themselves in by brain.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
On the Krakoa world map, most of Japan has vanished. Art error... or cluuuuuue???

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

X-O posted:

Not really, the dead and injured X-Men are for sure resurrected and healed by those pods on Krakoa as we see Cyclops emerge from one with focus on his eye that was recently shot out by Hope.

Haha, what the gently caress, I just assumed that whole terrible story was a Days of Future Past/House of M style deal, it's actually happening? That's hilarious.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Maybe I'm confusing one-eyed Cyclops with another recent storyline that was that, but gently caress reading an X-Men book.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wonder if Hickman originally intended for Scott to still be dead until the Krakoa pod brought him back. He's been planning this for a year, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel pretty confident that if Hickman wanted Cyclops to be dead to start off the story he'd be dead. Apparently he pitched this entire thing to everyone at last year's writer retreat after he'd already been given the go ahead so everyone knew about his plans going into their runs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also I’m now freaking out about the apparent importance of the items listed in read in the various lists throughout the issue. It’s apparent it’s to signify importance but I’m sure there’s more to it. All of the locations in Krakoa, the ORCHIS protocols enacted, Sol’s Hammer being the only highlighted item, Franklin Richards being the only (current) omega mutant siding with the humans, and in the reading list House of X 2, 5, and Powers of X #6.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

As reductive as it is, I think if you're looking for tells in what kind of things Hickman is arranging on his chessboard, how he's treating Franklin could be a big giveaway.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
So the last time I read X-Men was when Charles was dead after AvX. How did he come back? How come is can seemingly walk?

While I enjoyed the first Hickman issue I certainly found myself a bit lost. A little recap of recent X-Men stories to start things would have been a great help, as I'm sure I'm not the only person picking up an X book again after a few year hiatus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pitwar posted:

So the last time I read X-Men was when Charles was dead after AvX. How did he come back? How come is can seemingly walk?

While I enjoyed the first Hickman issue I certainly found myself a bit lost. A little recap of recent X-Men stories to start things would have been a great help, as I'm sure I'm not the only person picking up an X book again after a few year hiatus.

The short of it is that this is actually Fantomex’s body and because of comic book things he swapped with Xavier so now Fantomex is dead and Xavier is rolling around being extra dickish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well "dead" anyway. He has no presence on Earth but his mind is somewhere they can get it back from.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah if I'm remember correctly when Xavier 'died' his mind actually ended up in an ongoing struggle with The Shadow King and through a series of events Fantomex willingly gave up his body to allow Xavier back into our world. Xavier started calling himself X and turned in a real son of a bitch.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rochallor posted:

On the Krakoa world map, most of Japan has vanished. Art error... or cluuuuuue???

Hawaii was entirely missing!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

calling himself X and turned in a real son of a bitch.

Let’s be clear, he was ALWAYS a son of a bitch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now he's gonna give it to ya

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The short of it is that this is actually Fantomex’s body and because of comic book things he swapped with Xavier so now Fantomex is dead and Xavier is rolling around being extra dickish.

What happened to Lady Fantomex?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

in mourning, so what are some good fantomex stories that aren’t aaron’s x-force

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parallax posted:

in mourning, so what are some good fantomex stories that aren’t aaron’s x-force

Remender's X-Force.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

True, but as I said earlier in the thread when the issue came out:

X-O posted:

I just read the Astonishing X-Men Annual and I kind of loved it. I don't know why, but Charles being a complete rear end in a top hat just works for me. Normally he's an rear end in a top hat but it's all the hidden stuff behind the image of the noble X-Men Founder. But him just being a straight up piece of poo poo works really well.

That issue just had had all his bullshit right out in the open.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spurrier's X-Force.

e: damnit X-O

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Remender's X-Force.

this is what i meant, not aaron

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Pitwar posted:

You really don't need to know anything...there's lots of little things for people that have been following the comics, but other than the Xavier thing, Hickman's stuff is meant to be a fresh start for the X-Men. He's a very "long term" storyteller, so nothing is going to make sense right now...we're in the "setting the scene" phase of things, and then he'll pay them off later in House/Powers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parallax posted:

this is what i meant, not aaron

I liked Fantomax when he first popped up in Morrison's New X-Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aaron did write The List: Wolverine that had Fantomex team up with Noh-Varr to save Wolverine from Weapon XV or whichever one is the viral religion. It has the page where Noh-Varr claims the Kree have a mathematical equation that disproves religion, and Fantomex says he was genetically engineered to not believe in anything greater than himself.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Codependent Poster posted:

Now he's gonna give it to ya

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm gonna be honest, Scott's X-mask suit is my favorite costume he's ever had, and I like him best when he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I'm gonna be honest, Scott's X-mask suit is my favorite costume he's ever had, and I like him best when he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

oh yeah

Marvel just wasn't capable of dealing with how Right he Was, and it's a pity