Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that...doesnt really feel like an answer to how you get from learning about systemic racism to cops should be the victims of white supremacist violence, but i guess i could be wrong on this one

e: lol

https://twitter.com/xtop/status/1154196290093215744

site fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:dudsmile:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

its going to turn out that the cops and white supremacists are both being manipulated by a shadowy jew

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

that...doesnt really feel like an answer to how you get from learning about systemic racism to cops should be the victims of white supremacist violence, but i guess i could be wrong on this one

e: lol

https://twitter.com/xtop/status/1154196290093215744

this quote is making me physically ill holy poo poo jfc

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I like the layer of the comedy where you realize that Watchmen exists because Alan Moore was told he couldn't use the Charleston characters, which was the original plan for the story. That quote should be framed and put in art museums around the world.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yannick_B posted:

There is nothing that makes more sense than the Alt-Right coopting the Rorschach identity.

That's the truest statement on SA this week.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Oracle posted:

They asked but there were branding issues.

lmao at this and also at all the Watchmen 2: Watchmen Harder news.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ToastyPotato posted:

he couldn't use the Charleston characters

You mean the Charlton characters?

Aren't those the guys who would use metal mechanical drafting templates to letter their comics so they had that teletype look to them?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I meant Charlton. No idea on their lettering techniques. All I know is that they were bought out by DC, which is why Blue Beetle, The Question and Captain Atom are DC characters. The characters from that company were going to be used by Moore, since no one was really doing anything with them at the time I suppose, but DC decided they'd rather roll them into DC proper and I guess they figured his story would make that too difficult.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hmmm.. Blue Beetle for Nite Owl, Rorschach for The Question, and Captain Atom for Dr. Manhattan.. geez I never noticed that before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Hmmm.. Blue Beetle for Nite Owl, Rorschach for The Question, and Captain Atom for Dr. Manhattan.. geez I never noticed that before.

The Comedian was also a lesser known Charlton character, Peacemaker.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Actually they were just inspired by the characters, Moore never actually intended to use them. Which is why they're they're names are so thematic. Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, Ozymandias etc.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 25, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

David D. Davidson posted:

Actually they were just inspired by the characters, Moore never actually intended to use them. Which is why they're they're names are so thematic. Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, Ozymandias etc.

Oh yeah but their inspiration was clear. Other then that I thought Nite Owl was Batman.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The first episode of The Boys absolutely nailed it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So it's completely different from the comic?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mulva posted:

So it's completely different from the comic?

It seems to be so far. It is taking certain notes but new story.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Ok, now I might check it out.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, I'm digging that they kept some stuff but made it a new thing. I had mixed opinions on the comic, but I'm a few eps in and loving it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Somehow they managed to make Vought even more corrupt and self-serving too!

Karl Urban is, as always, fantastic, the 7 are just as hosed up as they should be, the A-Train impact is a work of bloody art.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

As someone who has never read The Boys, what specifically was it that rubbed so many of you guys the wrong way? Like what are you hoping not to see in the show, without spoiling?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uhh lets see, rampant homophobia, misogyny, ableism, rape, terrible poop jokes, basically every ennis-ism you can think of

site fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 26, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Butcher is still a manipulative rear end in a top hat, Hughie and Starflight are still trying to do the right things, Terror is not in the series which makes it a lot less homophobic, Elizabeth Shue is playing Madelyn Stillwell and is colder than the comic's James Stillwell ever was, no Dakota Bob or Vic the Veep.

I'm three episodes in, and it is a lot better than the comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't read much of it just because by that point I'd already learned I didn't like Ennis at all. I think I tried when I saw some people liking it but I was turned off in pretty short order.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Ennis was good for Punisher because he had editorial restraints from Marvel but its like everything else he does is just super self indulgent and goes in circles. Comic book creators always have to do that it seems, they take all the poo poo they like and then run that poo poo into the ground.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am 4 episodes in and I am enjoying it. It is taking a lot of the ideas from the comics and weaving them in a different way. Unlike often when they do that in other media it is actually working here.

My only complaint is that they aren't nearly making the superheroes out to be the same sort of vile garbage that the comic did. Ennis did a great job early showing that the supes were disgusting people for you to hate. In this, with the exception of maybe Homelander no one has seemed all THAT bad yet and Homelander is shown to be more crazy than anything.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

uhh lets see, rampant homophobia, misogyny, ableism, rape, terrible poop jokes, basically every ennis-ism you can think of

Yikes. Guess I will skip the books and just check out the show then.

HIJK posted:

Ennis was good for Punisher because he had editorial restraints from Marvel but its like everything else he does is just super self indulgent and goes in circles. Comic book creators always have to do that it seems, they take all the poo poo they like and then run that poo poo into the ground.

It's probably a problem with any kind of creator. Restraint is a skill and most people simply don't see it that way because society keeps throwing the message out there that artists should never be restrained, which is not a completely true statement. Most of the successful art that one will find was usually made under some kind of constraint. Sure, there are going to be the edge cases that flourish when unbound, but most people just plain old need to be given boundaries, regardless of how talented they are.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought The Boys was pretty good but, like, for a Garth Ennis comic and directly compared to his other comics. When he's not resorting to lazy shock jock jokes and applies himself he's actually really drat good but that's only once in a blue moon. Wish it happened more often, on the other hand the man clearly doesn't give a gently caress and writes what he wants and I'd rather he do that even if I don't like it. Could be a lot worse, he could have lost it completely like Frank Miller.

I'm catching up on Happy! S2. Had a bit of doubt about it at first - I don't like how they spell out right away what's going on with Blue - , but it's going on strong. Christopher Meloni is a joy to watch, but in the same deranged and unsavoury way a multi-car pile up is.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Runaways S3 is premiering December 13. Synopsis:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/hulu-sets-premiere-dates-for-new-dollface-reprisal-season-3-of-marvels-runaways-1202654460/

quote:

Season 3 of Marvel’s Runaways finds its heroes frantically searching for their captured friends Chase, Gert and Karolina. The kids go head to head with an unstoppable enemy who has targeted Leslie — or more accurately, the child she’s carrying. Nico draws them all into a dark realm where its ruler, Morgan le Fay (Elizabeth Hurley), is much more nefarious than anyone the kids have yet to face.

Rhenzy Feliz, Lyrica Okano, Virginia Gardner, Ariela Barer, Gregg Sulkin, Allegra Acosta, Annie Wersching, Ryan Sands, Angel Parker, Ever Carradine, James Marsters, Kevin Weisman, Brigid Brannagh, James Yaegashi and Brittany Ishibashi star in the co-production with Marvel and ABC Signature Studios. Marvel’s Runaways is executive produced by series showrunners/writers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, along with Marvel’s Head of Television Jeph Loeb and Quinton Peeples.

If you look closely, you might notice a name missing from the cast. Mysterious!

It's Kip Pardue (Frank Dean), who had a MeToo allegation levied against him on a different project

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

Runaways S3 is premiering December 13. Synopsis:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/hulu-sets-premiere-dates-for-new-dollface-reprisal-season-3-of-marvels-runaways-1202654460/

If you look closely, you might notice a name missing from the cast. Mysterious!

It's Kip Pardue (Frank Dean), who had a MeToo allegation levied against him on a different project

So word on any potential Cloak & Dagger crossover? Seemed liek that's what was being hinted at the end of C&D's second season.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So word on any potential Cloak & Dagger crossover? Seemed liek that's what was being hinted at the end of C&D's second season.

I'll admit I'm not watching either show, but what made the crossover (really a guest appearance, I don't think Cloak and Dagger had a comic at the time) work in the comics was Cloak and Dagger being older, more experienced and having dealt with similar poo poo as the Runaways, but also being old enough that they'd forgotten how loving hard it is to be a teenager in general without having literal supervillains after them.

Them being about the same age and dealing with superhero poo poo for about the same amount of time would be different.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Yvonmukluk posted:

if it were mentioned at the TCAs, someone would have reported it today. Could still be happening and announced closer to the premiere date, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

As someone who has never read The Boys, what specifically was it that rubbed so many of you guys the wrong way? Like what are you hoping not to see in the show, without spoiling?

I think I tapped out the 20th time a joke was made about obvious pastiches of big Marvel and DC superheroes loving each other in the rear end.

One moment that sticks in my mind is the arc where there's a teen superteam that lampoons how hyperdramatic all teen superteams are, and one of the characters is always cutting herself, and that's the joke. Ha ha, look at this loving weirdo with self-harm problems.

I wouldn't have even stuck with the book past issue 1 if it wasn't for all the doogz's in the world insisting that it's really good and I should stick with it, but it really was just sewage.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 27, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

I think I tapped out the 20th time a joke was made about obvious pastiches of big Marvel and DC superheroes loving each other in the rear end.

One moment that sticks in my mind is the arc where there's a teen superteam that lampoons how hyperdramatic all teen superteams are, and one of the characters is always cutting herself, and that's the joke. Ha ha, look at this loving weirdo with self-harm problems.

Well, the series is not like the books, that's for sure. Most of the supers aren't mustache-twirling evil, just normal people with all the fuckups that normal people have, superpowers, and an absolutely diabolical boss. That said, Homelander is just as hosed up as in the comics, maybe more. That and the effects of superpowers on normal people of course.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Boys is good cuts out a lot of the edgelord stuff from the comic. It's basically using the comic idea as a starting point but then diverging and only keeping the less rapey good ideas.

Djarum posted:

I am 4 episodes in and I am enjoying it. It is taking a lot of the ideas from the comics and weaving them in a different way. Unlike often when they do that in other media it is actually working here.

My only complaint is that they aren't nearly making the superheroes out to be the same sort of vile garbage that the comic did. Ennis did a great job early showing that the supes were disgusting people for you to hate. In this, with the exception of maybe Homelander no one has seemed all THAT bad yet and Homelander is shown to be more crazy than anything.

Did you miss the scene in episode 1 where Billy and Hughie are going through the secret supes club? Ezekiel is a massive hypocrite and A-Train was laughing when reminded that he ran through Robin. Not to mention Translucent who is perving on people in the bathroom and The Deep with his sexual assault and probably more examples I am forgetting.

They are very hateable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man did Swamp Thing turn out to be the wettest fart or what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I heard it had potential but it died to ~*mysterious BTS reasons*~, I haven't seen a source on this but I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with the WB streaming service upcoming launch. The tax credit snafu thing turned out not to be true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They loving adapted what is considered the greatest moment of the character's history (Anatomy Lesson) and fumbled the ball harder than i thoughy possible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

They loving adapted what is considered the greatest moment of the character's history (Anatomy Lesson) and fumbled the ball harder than i thoughy possible.

Is that the sex one?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Boys is good cuts out a lot of the edgelord stuff from the comic. It's basically using the comic idea as a starting point but then diverging and only keeping the less rapey good ideas.

Did you miss the scene in episode 1 where Billy and Hughie are going through the secret supes club? Ezekiel is a massive hypocrite and A-Train was laughing when reminded that he ran through Robin. Not to mention Translucent who is perving on people in the bathroom and The Deep with his sexual assault and probably more examples I am forgetting.

They are very hateable.

That is basically nothing compared to what the comic repeatedly showed you and keep watching, they keep trying to give the supes things to make you feel sympathetic for them. At no point in the comic did I feel like any of the people they were going after were redeemable in any notion.

Then there is a thing at the end of the season.

I am in no way saying the show is bad, I quite enjoyed it and am looking forward to more. I am very interested in seeing where they are going with things since it is obvious that this is not going in the the same direction as the comics in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Is that the sex one?

It's the one where he finds out he's not Alec Holland.