Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Either way, I'm happy to see that she'll at least get to show up before September. Now they just need to lower the stat threshold for her and the other three that all need stats to be at or near maximum to interact with.

This was my issue playing P3P, you have to max out your stats to even unlock most of your party as Social Links. That's just...why do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

because it's a time management sim

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

But I already experience enough frustrating time management problems in real life!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

Don't gate them off behind maxing out a stat. Gate of maxing them out behind it, but any real interaction at all is awful. It's why I don't play Persona games without a guide anymore.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shown at WonderFestival in Japan yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0djxYxgDjy/?igshid=1uvihp2956gce

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hunter Noventa posted:

Don't gate them off behind maxing out a stat. Gate of maxing them out behind it, but any real interaction at all is awful. It's why I don't play Persona games without a guide anymore.

Why is Makoto convinced that you must be the most charming man in Tokyo to convince a girl you match her grease-stain of a boyfriend? Why do we need saintlike patience to make a girl whose mind we’ve literally wandered through trust us? What kind of planters does Haru use that require the hands of someone skilled enough to disassemble a bomb blindfolded to use? It’s ridiculous how you get these big blocks so quickly in all their links when maxing a single star takes months of investment when you have such a tight deadline to begin with?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Geostomp posted:

Why is Makoto convinced that you must be the most charming man in Tokyo to convince a girl you match her grease-stain of a boyfriend?

Probably because Makoto feels the need to massively overcompensate thanks to Sae.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Probably because Makoto feels the need to massively overcompensate thanks to Sae.

I figured it was because she was taking the other girl's word for it and she insists that Joker with max charm is "almost good enough" to be a comparison or whatever.

boy makoto's confidant sucks.

Hunter Noventa posted:

This was my issue playing P3P, you have to max out your stats to even unlock most of your party as Social Links. That's just...why do that?

On the other hand, Persona 3 is a game with an absolutely insane amount of dead time in it, so it's at least not as big an issue as in 4 or 5. :shrug:

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

uh makotos confidant rules? joker and makoto squaring up in the middle of the street to tag team fight a dude is A+ content, sorry

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Makoto's confidant is all about her trying to overcome her inadequacies as a leader, so it's good actually.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

On the other hand, Persona 3 is a game with an absolutely insane amount of dead time in it, so it's at least not as big an issue as in 4 or 5. :shrug:

It was also the first Persona game I ever played, and I had no idea what i was doing in regards to the non-combat bits.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

To wrap up the Phantom Thieves, here’s Morgana’s trailer:

https://youtu.be/RfRqasU31z4

His tier three Persona is Diego, an older version of Zorro.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Don diego is zorros real name i think

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurtofan posted:

Don diego is zorros real name i think

Diego de la Vega. It keeps the same "first name heavily related to original Persona" thing the other party members have.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Did we see Haru's new persona? Because Milady -> Astarte was such a giant disappointment

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

derra posted:

Did we see Haru's new persona? Because Milady -> Astarte was such a giant disappointment

So far, we have only seen fusions for Ryuji, Ann, Yusuke, Futaba, and Morgana.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo lmao

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1156903820464656384?s=20

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cool, they’re finally teaming up with Etsy

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1157250366959996931

The Phantom Mice get featured in this trailer too, I hope that implies some serious revisions to the boat dungeon because jesus god spaghetti monster please do something to make that dungeon not suck

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I hope everyone likes redemption arcs because it looks like Akechi's getting one like it or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw2nOHQpmw

At least I can only assume he is based on his evil costume and using Loki in-party.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Boo! You are no Vegeta, AKECHI

Blotto_Otter posted:

The Phantom Mice get featured in this trailer too, I hope that implies some serious revisions to the boat dungeon because jesus god spaghetti monster please do something to make that dungeon not suck

I'll never forget watching a specific streamer I like playing through the game, and getting to the like fourth of those horrible rat hallway mazes and just going NOOO and unironically just dropping his head into his hands in despair.

It looks like they're updating the Palaces in general though cause there was a ton of footage of palaces in there that I didn't recognize, including Mementos that seems to have a whole new section, as well as a baby man. Hopefully it better paces them, especially Shido's Palace. Also I hope they put a loving checkpoint between Akechi and fighting the Cleaner and his crew because holy god that was something like an hour and a half straight of fights with no way to save.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 2, 2019

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
So is this like a sequel, or remake, or something?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's an enhanced version of the original game with new content and new story and yeah you gotta pay 60 dollars again.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess it's basically like Scholar of the First Sin except the DLC was never offered separately but still confusing to me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's like Persona 4 Golden.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Only you don't have to spend 300 dollars on a dead handheld to play it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I hope everyone likes redemption arcs because it looks like Akechi's getting one like it or not

At least I can only assume he is based on his evil costume and using Loki in-party.

mentioned this in the LP thread, but it looks like the weirdness surrounding wakaba's return or handsome cat really is the product of an idyllic dream world (probably conjured by Sophia as speculated earlier) and akechi's the only one besides joker who's aware of the illusion. there's one dialogue snippet where he's trying to persuade joker to break the dream and return to the real world

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Gross. If they're going to do that, I hope they at least rewrite his involvement in some of the earlier crimes so that he's less mass murder-y.

Macaluso posted:

I'll never forget watching a specific streamer I like playing through the game, and getting to the like fourth of those horrible rat hallway mazes and just going NOOO and unironically just dropping his head into his hands in despair.

A few months ago I set aside my second playthrough of P5, not because I want to wait until the P5R content arrives, but because I dread the thought of getting to that part again. If all P5R does is improve that palace, it'll significantly improve the chances that I'll actually finish another playthrough. Hell, if they just cut out like 40% of that palace altogether, I'd probably be fine with it.

LorneReams posted:

More like a revision and expansion than a sequel or remake. It's Persona 5 again but with a bunch of new content and some changes to the original content/story in order to improve flow and pacing and make the new content fit. We'll know more specifics after it releases in Japan in October, but the English language version won't be out until 2020.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Only you don't have to spend 300 dollars on a dead handheld to play it.

Ahem, I'll have you know that one can be had for around $120 these days, which is entirely worth it because that is the best/cheapest portable way to play God's perfect videogames Tony Hawk's Pro Skaters 1 and 2 on the go.

(Also I never, ever would've completed Persona 5 without a Vita to do remote play on, family life and the arrangement of my house make it extremely difficult to put 100+ hours into a videogame while sitting in front of a big TV. It should be illegal for long RPGs like P5 not to be available on a handheld platform.)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

LorneReams posted:

A remake, they’ll improve some QOL stuff and add new dungeons and a new team member.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Isn't detachment from the "material" world a thing in Gnosticism? WRT to that maybe staying in the "dream" world is the "correct" choice and Akechi is playing the role of the Serpent in the Garden or something. :shrug:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

We all knew that he had far too many fangirls to just stay dead. Why they obsess over a guy whose personality comprised of "smug douche" and "raging inferiority complex" with just a hint of "barely contained psychopath" will forever elude me.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Oxxidation posted:

mentioned this in the LP thread, but it looks like the weirdness surrounding wakaba's return or handsome cat really is the product of an idyllic dream world (probably conjured by Sophia as speculated earlier) and akechi's the only one besides joker who's aware of the illusion. there's one dialogue snippet where he's trying to persuade joker to break the dream and return to the real world

I hope it's something more in the lines of Akechi comes back in the dream world and turns out to be an illusion made by Joker after feeling guilty that he couldn't change Akechi and save him. So "Dream Akechi" is his guilty subconscious trying to help Joker get rid of the dream world and accept the loss.

That's not gonna happen though cause japan loves that horrible horrible character.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They should change the story so I can personally kill him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Geostomp posted:

We all knew that he had far too many fangirls to just stay dead. Why they obsess over a guy whose personality comprised of "smug douche" and "raging inferiority complex" with just a hint of "barely contained psychopath" will forever elude me.
it's totally beyond you to think of why people would like an abused lonely prettyboy teenager lashing out at a system that completely failed him and countless other children every day?

like you don't have to like Goro but to act like it's a complete and total mystery is wild!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 2, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Geostomp posted:

He’s pretty

If you’re pretty you can commit genocide and there will be people that forgive you

Hell, they may love you because of it or just because you’re a psycho murderer

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

it's totally beyond you to think of why people would like an abused, misguided lonely prettyboy teenager?

It is when they obsess over him as much as they do. The guy had a crappy life, but so did all the other Thieves. It doesn't erase that he was a willing villain whose only positive interactions with the characters were a shallow act that wasn't even convincing in-universe. He wasn't a mindless puppet: he was fully aware of what he did and was even running his own scheme to kill Shido and the party just to satisfy his own rage and desire for fame.

Let's not pretend for a second that they'd love him half as much if he weren't an anime prettyboy.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 2, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akechi was the only member of the cast to successfully attain praxis

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Geostomp posted:

It’s the tragic back story + pretty face. There are other reasons regarding how he’s supposed to reinforce the themes about society failing the vulnerable etc. Datamining also produced info that he was supposed to have a palace of his own from the beginning but I guess they dummied it out for time. That gave people hope that the character himself doesn’t actually warrant.

I just wish Akechi actually had something going for him besides “sad boy throws tantrums.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Oxxidation posted:

akechi was the only member of the cast to successfully attain praxis
modern problems require goro's modern solutions