Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's just random, they're not lostech flagged. You'll get more as you keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So a key thing here is that 'Battletech' and 'Mechwarrior' are different properties as far as Microsoft is concerned. Now Mitch and Jordan have always laughed out loud about the prospect of Microsoft selling the rights to Battletech completely, and I'm sure the price would be stupid high, but I'm not sure they've been asked what Paradox money would buy from Microsoft.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Is microsoft really even interested in the property any more? I can't imagine :pgi: coughed up a queen's ransom to license it and its' not like Microsoft has had their game studio as a major focus for a while.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lazyhound posted:

Are LRM20s considered LosTech or are they just really rare? I only have one or two of them.

The LRM 20 at stock isn't quite as efficient as LRM15s are for damage per ton, so unless you're capped out on hardpoints the 15s are usually the better choice anyhow.
(The TT lrms decided not to use half ton weights, so the 5/10/15/20 weight 2/5/7/10, making the 10 and 20 the less efficient sizes. Heat is also different, going 2/4/5/6).

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 26, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is microsoft really even interested in the property any more? I can't imagine :pgi: coughed up a queen's ransom to license it and its' not like Microsoft has had their game studio as a major focus for a while.

They've picked up a bunch of developers recently, so who knows what properties they'll pass around.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Gwaihir posted:

The LRM 20 at stock isn't quite as efficient as LRM15s are for damage per ton, so unless you're capped out on hardpoints the 15s are usually the better choice anyhow.
(The TT lrms decided not to use half ton weights, so the 5/10/15/20 weight 2/5/7/10, making the 10 and 20 the less efficient sizes. Heat is also different, going 2/4/5/6).

The 20 is better once you have breaching shot though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, especially if you're doing something like a heavy Highlander with like 2x lrm20, Gauss, and a couple LLs.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

If you're playing the campaign, use the initial Centurion you get. With lowered armor you can easily do two LRM15s + LRM10, and that dumps out a giant amount of firepower for that stage of the game. Especially if you have any +/++/+++ versions.

I've got an AC20 on that Centurion, but I outfitted a WVR-6R with LRM20++/LRM10++/LRM10 and 4 tons of ammo and took it out on the Panzyr mission and it was pretty successful.

I think the biggest thing that helped, though, was switching one of my mechs over to a SRM brawler instead of an ML brawler. I'm getting knockdowns a lot more reliably now that 3/4ths of my mechs are doing stability damage.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Alchenar posted:

So a key thing here is that 'Battletech' and 'Mechwarrior' are different properties as far as Microsoft is concerned. Now Mitch and Jordan have always laughed out loud about the prospect of Microsoft selling the rights to Battletech completely, and I'm sure the price would be stupid high, but I'm not sure they've been asked what Paradox money would buy from Microsoft.

To clarify Microsoft has the rights to video games using the Battletech IP through purchasing FASA Interactive, no matter what the title is. The Battletech tabletop is separate, owned by Topps and licensed to CGL.

I was curious if Microsoft would go for a VR Mechwarrior title when that was a new thing a few years ago, but of course that didn't pan out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Meanwhile, House Steiner begins their invasion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MWxW4VmEA

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hardcase saying "Scheisse!" is even better than the English version.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CommieGIR posted:

Meanwhile, House Steiner begins their invasion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MWxW4VmEA

that has to be one of the worst dub jobs I've ever heard. :stonk:
I never played the German version and I'm glad for it now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Khizan posted:

I've got an AC20 on that Centurion, but I outfitted a WVR-6R with LRM20++/LRM10++/LRM10 and 4 tons of ammo and took it out on the Panzyr mission and it was pretty successful.

I think the biggest thing that helped, though, was switching one of my mechs over to a SRM brawler instead of an ML brawler. I'm getting knockdowns a lot more reliably now that 3/4ths of my mechs are doing stability damage.

Yeah, early game the only really important factor for an LRM mech is just picking one of the slower mediums like the cent or hunch. You sorta waste the extra speed from the Shadowhawk on an artillery platform.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm of the opinion that dedicated LRM boats should also be armored and brought to the front; little firepower/utility is gained from devoting a couple extra tons for more tubes or picking a skill combo that doesn't include Bulwark, but OTOH presenting an additional mech as a viable target for the AI is very advantageous to your lance's overall health.

I'll trim armor a little bit on them to squeeze in an extra ton of ammo or so in situations where I wouldn't do the same on a mech designed for direct combat, but even still we're talking about going from ~95% armor to ~85%. Turning your fire support mech into a powder keg to mount an extra LRM 5 or something is definitely not worth it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Amechwarrior posted:

You may have a bug that HBS put a bounty out for:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/wanted-aksoundengine-dll-bug-dead-or-alive-reward-available.1201921/

Either way if you have logs, post them to the bug subforum there.

Interesting, I can repro the bug on two significantly different PCs. I'll hit them up.

----e----

ugh the forum is bad

Xarn fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 27, 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Khizan posted:

What do you need to make a decent LRMboat? Most of my attempts have been universally disappointing, to the point where it felt like I only had three real mechs in my lance.

I run an LRM 10+ and 20 on a Shadowhawk.

It was game changer. I was able to dunk on dudes and do a bunch of stab damage before they get fully into range of everyone else.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Instead of LRM20's I run LRM5+LRM15 if I have the hardpoints available, you still get 20 missiles but it saves you 1 ton.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shortly after posting that Behemoth put an AC/20 round through the cockpit of a Catapult C4 and I put a 10++/15++/20++ combo on it. Glitch has been happily knocking mechs over ever since.

Anyways, is there any real use for a Hunchback or a Trebuchet, or should I just sell them?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Khizan posted:

Anyways, is there any real use for a Hunchback or a Trebuchet, or should I just sell them?

If you’re going to do the flash points you’ll want a full lance (4 mechs) of 50-ton mediums specifically for the ones that are tonnage limited. Otherwise no.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Khizan posted:

For the campaign there isn't. If you are doing career mode and flashpoints the hunchback is great because it can bring the pain with the AC20. My experience with the trebuchet is that it's lovely heat management makes it pretty useless.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ulmont posted:

If you’re going to do the flash points you’ll want a full lance (4 mechs) of 50-ton mediums specifically for the ones that are tonnage limited. Otherwise no.
The tonnage limited ones I've come across allows 55-ton mechs, but total drop weight is 200 tons.
So you could drop 4 50-ton mechs, sure.
Or you could do three 55-ton and one 35-ton, or to 50, one 55, one 45.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

sinburger posted:

My experience with the trebuchet is that it's lovely heat management makes it pretty useless.
I used them as LRM platforms.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Groetgaffel posted:

The tonnage limited ones I've come across allows 55-ton mechs, but total drop weight is 200 tons.

I've seen a lot that are 200 tons total, no mech more than 50.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
So I haven't had a chance to play this game for a long time, and I'm coming back into it with the new DLCs.

I have a few gameplay change mods that I used way back when. The big one was removing the difficulty bumps in the campaign after some of the missions (https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/25). It looks like the mod hasn't been updated for a while. Does anybody know if that one still works with the current build of BT?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Theres about 3 different weight restrictions. Nothing heavier than 50, combined tonnage cant pass 230 or something like that and then nothing heavier then 75 combined has to be under 320 or something

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Every tonnage limited flashpoint I've encountered hasn't cared about the individual mech weight. So naturally I bring a black knight and tear poo poo up.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I got me a Cataphract loaded with 2 AC10+s and 2 tons of ammo. I got my called shot master in there. Things are sooo much easier to salvage now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eschatos posted:

Every tonnage limited flashpoint I've encountered hasn't cared about the individual mech weight. So naturally I bring a black knight and tear poo poo up.

There's absolutely at least two with the 55 per/200 lance restriction. Which, happily, is exactly three Shadow Hawks and a Firestarter.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

3 Shadow Hawks and a Firestarter, or three SRM spam Kintaros and a Raven. Maximum gently caress you either way.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Hunchback, Centurion and Enforcer have more usable tonnage than anything under 65 tons. For most situations the 55t mechs are actually worse unless it's a timed mission.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sean10mm posted:

The Hunchback, Centurion and Enforcer have more usable tonnage than anything under 65 tons. For most situations the 55t mechs are actually worse unless it's a timed mission.

At least with my playstyle, my main issue with the Hunchback and Enforcer is the limited number of non-ballistic hardpoints. They've got a lot of usable tonnage but not a lot of flexibility in how to use it.

No complaints about the Centurion though. Those three missile hardpoints on the A variant are a thing of beauty.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I just finished the campaign mission where you escape from the Lostech facility and noticed I had a travel contract available when I looked at the star map. Went to the contract page to check it out, but the "connecting to commstar/merc net" wheel just sits there spinning forever.

Any idea what's causing this?

My version is vanilla with no mods installed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's because you are now on a planet that isnt permitted (this is literally the only time in the game this can or will happen). You just need to navigate somewhere else.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm a big fan of the Wolverine-6R (the one with the AC5 + jumpjets) for my 55 tonners. I've never done a head-to-head between it and a Shadow Hawk but at least for me, it's been a lot more likely that I'll snag several Wolverines before one Shadow Hawk. I never seem to get any Kintaros until when I'm well past the heavy stage.

Also a fun learning experience in my second playthrough, I discovered that putting mechs into storage and selling them at the store is ~20% more money than just scrapping them from the bay. Whoopsie.

I'm at 1109 days though and I just finished Prototype. Got a Wolverine-6K, both flavors of Hunchbacks, and a Raven. Doing considerably better than my first run.

edit: Also it really annoys me that lances are units of 4, but the mechbays are units of 6.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 28, 2019

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Khizan posted:

Shortly after posting that Behemoth put an AC/20 round through the cockpit of a Catapult C4 and I put a 10++/15++/20++ combo on it. Glitch has been happily knocking mechs over ever since.

HBK and TBT are fine if you're still in the medium mech phase of the game.

Forget about using the TBT as a LRM platform for reasons listed above. Go with 3xML, 2xSRM6 and make it an infighter.

The HBK-G can carry AC20, 2xML (pretty much stock, just with less HS and more armor). If you already have plenty of short range fighters and need FS, I think AC5, 2xLL will fit, which is fine for 2-3 skull missions.

The HBK-P punches way above its weight and is potentially useful even in the 3-4 skull range, assuming you have plenty of other big mechs. 8xML, 3xSL, and a coolant flush pilot works amazingly well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Holybat posted:

So I haven't had a chance to play this game for a long time, and I'm coming back into it with the new DLCs.

I have a few gameplay change mods that I used way back when. The big one was removing the difficulty bumps in the campaign after some of the missions (https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/25). It looks like the mod hasn't been updated for a while. Does anybody know if that one still works with the current build of BT?

That kind of mod just fell by the wayside as not needed now that career mode is a thing.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Stravag posted:

Theres about 3 different weight restrictions. Nothing heavier than 50, combined tonnage cant pass 230 or something like that and then nothing heavier then 75 combined has to be under 320 or something

The two I've seen are:

No mechs over 55 tons.

No mechs over 75 tons and a 250 ton drop limit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I modified my AC20 hunchback to have more ammo and armor in exchange for stripping out the MLs. So it's basically a Breaching Shot headpopper. My pilot that runs it almost has Tactics 9 too :getin:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The Hunchback is the smallest thing that packs an AC/20 and can get it into range; it's an absolutely fantastic brawler. You'll fall in love with it the first time you hit a Locust and blow all the way through its Left Arm, Left Torso, and Center Torso in one hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The Hunchback is the smallest thing that packs an AC/20 and can get it into range; it's an absolutely fantastic brawler. You'll fall in love with it the first time you hit a Locust and blow all the way through its Left Arm, Left Torso, and Center Torso in one hit.

I put an AC20 on my free Centurion and I did indeed fall in love with it as soon as it swatted its first Locust. Hunchback is probably better because it doesn't carry its only effective weapon on an arm, though.

Organ Fiend posted:

The HBK-P punches way above its weight and is potentially useful even in the 3-4 skull range, assuming you have plenty of other big mechs. 8xML, 3xSL, and a coolant flush pilot works amazingly well.

I've never been able to get the laser boats to work very well, and I've never been very impressed by their firing at me either. Usually my experience is something like "they fire a ton of MLs, the damage gets spread out over armor, something blows their arm off with an AC." Is this something that just gets better with pilot levels?

Though, now that I think about it, it does sound like it would be really effective at finishing off something that's already had the armor sanded off of it by LRMs. Maybe it's time to revisit the laserboat.