Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also literally just the first episode too, I don't even think the shots are different. Which begs the question of who on the ship was recording those events in TV format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

spincube posted:

I absolutely love that the way they chose to bring Riker up to speed about events in Part 2 wasn't a discussion in the ship's conference room, like the TNG stereotype, it was by planting him in front of a teevee screen and saying, 'watch this'.

Computer, compile a visual log of the past 24 hours. Use some frantic cuts and camera angles. And add some music, Jesus, it's not a funeral.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

S03E22 of DS9. Dax interrupts Bashir flirting with a woman, Bashir hands her a PADD.

"Before I forget, here's the immunological data you asked for."

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Bashir owns

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying the TNG finale so far with Picard shunting back and forth through time. It's a neat sendoff to all the characters.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm enjoying the TNG finale so far with Picard shunting back and forth through time. It's a neat sendoff to all the characters.

It's probably the best Star Trek finale episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Easily, yes.

Especially when it’s only real competition is ‘What You Leave Behind’

Endgame sucks, and obviously ‘These Are The Voyages’ is worse

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

and obviously ‘These Are The Voyages’ is worse

Never heard of it.

Enterprise's Terra Prime wasn't bad though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CptAwesome posted:

S03E22 of DS9. Dax interrupts Bashir flirting with a woman, Bashir hands her a PADD.

"Before I forget, here's the immunological data you asked for."

That whole scene is hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4H9nb03jI8

"Cough, cough!"

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I watched Past Tense fairly recently, which I enjoyed a lot... all the way up until the final few minutes. It seems like they cut off the final act, or at least some sequences of them getting out of the sanctuary, because that was framed as quite an big problem.

Also how the only change that was caused by their return to the past was that Bell now looked like Sisko? Things certainly went down a lot differently in this time, didn't it?

I've been really enjoying DS9, but they do certainly have a tendency of ending episodes very suddenly.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drone posted:

Well it's no "Turnabout Intruder" but it's not bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

It's a bit blatant how they just up and fridge Troi, but I guess it's an extension of how they couldn't think of anything for her to do for seven years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a little fun every time the writers let slip a little more backstory for Earth between the Federation and now, and every time it's "Things get much, much worse before they ever get any better."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

curiousTerminal posted:

Profit and Lace, the only DS9 episode I skipped entirely after reading the summary.
Picking up discussion from the last page but...

Why does everyone always forget the Platonic example of shittiness, Melora?

It's as bad as anything Voyager ever gave us. (I assume; I've avoided big chunks of Voyager.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Klingon Chef.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Admiralty Flag posted:

It's as bad as anything Voyager ever gave us. (I assume; I've avoided big chunks of Voyager.)

I thought Melora had an interesting premise, but fell flat in execution. The worst episodes imo are the ones that were lovely from the word "go" and should have been mercy-killed before they even got to the writers' room.

For example, Profit and Lace, or Let He Who Is Without Sin.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Because it's badness is just a mundane, boring kind of bad. Like, I forgot about Melora until you mentioned it, but when someone says "Bad DS9 episode" Profit and Lace is actively lovely.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also literally just the first episode too, I don't even think the shots are different. Which begs the question of who on the ship was recording those events in TV format
Don’t know, but they’ve had the technology since at least the opening of STIV. And arguably in the Menagerie (which you could say was mind fuckery, but no one was surprised to see it, so...)

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
It’s probably related to what powers the Universal Translator.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Astroman posted:

Well it's no "Turnabout Intruder" but it's not bad.

Going by stardate I like to pretend All Our Yesterdays is the true finale. It at least feels like one.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

they've got cameras everywhere on one of those babies, its why they keep it so bright

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

8one6 posted:

Because it's badness is just a mundane, boring kind of bad. Like, I forgot about Melora until you mentioned it, but when someone says "Bad DS9 episode" Profit and Lace is actively lovely.

Right. Melora has at least a decent premise that isn't done very well and Klingon Chef, the best bit character in DS9.

It's also interesting that Melora was written by a guy in a wheelchair as sort of an exploration of his own experience. I wish it'd been done better, it could've been really good.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 27, 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There is an interesting symmetry between Rikers first and last onscreen appearances.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the discussion between future Picard and Future Worf with "You always used me sense of honour to manipulate me!" "BECAUSE IT ALWAYS WORKS!"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm really fascinated to find out what the relationships are going to be like between Picard and the TNG characters that re-appear on the new show. Will they be frazzled and strained after years of life changes like in All Good Things? Closer and more intimate in retirement years without the barriers of professionalism?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Right. Melora has at least a decent premise that isn't done very well and Klingon Chef, the best bit character in DS9.

It's also interesting that Melora was written by a guy in a wheelchair as sort of an exploration of his own experience. I wish it'd been done better, it could've been really good.

It would've helped if the guest character wasn't an aggressively unlikable little poo poo from the word go. Did that come from the writer's experience? If so I think it never could have been good.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the discussion between future Picard and Future Worf with "You always used me sense of honour to manipulate me!" "BECAUSE IT ALWAYS WORKS!"

In the rerun cut of that they edited out Worf cursing and shoving all the poo poo off his desk which was just :psyduck:. It totally neutered the scene and literally didn't even shave off 5 lousy seconds.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let He Who is Without Profit and Sin and Lace both sound like much better episodes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm really fascinated to find out what the relationships are going to be like between Picard and the TNG characters that re-appear on the new show. Will they be frazzled and strained after years of life changes like in All Good Things? Closer and more intimate in retirement years without the barriers of professionalism?

They could be living millions of light years away from each other. Starfleet crews might never see each other again after they're out of the service.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Animal-Mother posted:

They could be living millions of light years away from each other. Starfleet crews might never see each other again after they're out of the service.

Well, yeah, I just meant the characters we will see. (Riker and Troi are supposed to come back for starters.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, that one’s pretty bad too but it at least has the incredibly forced scene where Tasha gives Wesley an extremely 80’s anti-drug PSA.

But that's just awkward and dull- ohhh, you're one of those weirdos who gets off on "cringe", aren't you?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

Obviously it's just the flight recorder, as established in Search for Spock, duh.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also you guys can't be loving serious about complaining about that, you think having the characters get around the table and give a verbal synopsis of the plot to-date would have been a better/more entertaining use of time??

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No, but it's still pretty funny to be "hey Riker welcome to the ship, watch the first part of the episode in this broom closet so you can catch up".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grand Fromage posted:

No, but it's still pretty funny to be "hey Riker welcome to the ship, watch the first part of the episode in this broom closet so you can catch up".

He comes out of the viewing like "ah jeez, that's nuts."

"It's nuts, right?"

"Yeah, I'm glad you showed me that, if you had just said that I'd be like 'whaaat no way lmao'"

"Totally that's why we showed you, we were writing it down and were like nah no way lol"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

But that's just awkward and dull- ohhh, you're one of those weirdos who gets off on "cringe", aren't you?

Kinda yeah, but I’ll take a forced 80’s PSA over 45 minutes of beige actors doing beige things in front of a beige wall any day.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Profit and Lace's greatest sin is it sometimes gets confused with Profit and Loss which is by far a better episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kinda yeah, but I’ll take a forced 80’s PSA over 45 minutes of beige actors doing beige things in front of a beige wall any day.

It isn't even really cringe-y. It is just hilariously stupid.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

skasion posted:

Watch the “The Cage” episode. If you don’t like it you’ll probably hate the rest of it. If you like it, then at least you didn’t waste your time on any of the really bad ones.

This was absolutely awful, I do not care for this at all . It feels like some out of work aspiring actors tried to make a fan show about star trek but one of them had a rich dad .

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

For a "minimal" list I'm tempted to say just follow your instincts and watch none of it.

I think was the better option, I feel a bit worse knowing the full extent of what is happening here and I want to get off this ride.

Now this I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

piratepilates posted:

This was absolutely awful, I do not care for this at all . It feels like some out of work aspiring actors tried to make a fan show about star trek but one of them had a rich dad .

I think was the better option, I feel a bit worse knowing the full extent of what is happening here and I want to get off this ride.

Now this I like.

It feels like someone made one of those Markov chain generated Star Trek scripts in to a real show by hiring crew on the offseason of some CW show.