Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LGD posted:

oh yeah

Marvel just wasn't capable of dealing with how Right he Was

:hai:

He seems to be back on proper form, at least. Squaring off against the F4 and coming off as condescending to the most condescending man in the marvel universe is no small feat. Make him the Phoenix again, Hickman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LGD posted:

oh yeah

Marvel just wasn't capable of dealing with how Right he Was, and it's a pity

His whole exchange with the F4 is my favorite part of House of X and gives me hope for this run. "Okay, letting a murderous thug go is clearly a hot button issue so well put a pin in it for now (but we're definitely coming back for him). Also we plan on indoctrinating your own child against you."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Maybe Xavier isn't full on Maker, but could have micro slices of Maker inside his brain, the gestation Krakoa pods could also reconstitute key X-Men with bits of Maker in their brains making them more malleable towards a "City of Tommorow" kind of thing Hickman had going for The Ultimates back in 2011.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Ok so I have read the House of X and it was good, as I hoped. So I will stop hyperventilating for now. But I am still dubious about X-men future. poo poo will be rebooted or just swept under the rug within a year, and we will be back to the barely legible storytelling and horrendous art.

Jiro posted:

Maybe Xavier isn't full on Maker, but could have micro slices of Maker inside his brain, the gestation Krakoa pods could also reconstitute key X-Men with bits of Maker in their brains making them more malleable towards a "City of Tommorow" kind of thing Hickman had going for The Ultimates back in 2011.

I always thought that there was significant subtext to the whole Xavier resurrection implying that he either isnt who he claims to be or has been tainted by the ordeal of being imprisoned by the shadow king. Not sure if that was ever addressed later in the series.
Also the weird helmet he wears looks kinda like the super cerebro that Emma cooked up, which could explain mutant's pliability to Xaviers current outlook.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If Xavier's resurrection was coming back in Fantomex's body, is he even a telepath anymore? Or did they just kind of hand wave away that aspect.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Seemlar posted:

If Xavier's resurrection was coming back in Fantomex's body, is he even a telepath anymore? Or did they just kind of hand wave away that aspect.

He's basically the same as the Shadow King, an astral entity that has powers no matter what body it takes. Hilariously though Fantomex isn't a mutant, so unless Xavier had a new body made he's marching around in a non-mutant body.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

All I know is that whenever Xavier is walking around not paralyzed it usually isn't a good thing. If Franklin is involved in this, hopefully, years long story and it involves Xavier, you can't toss out the possibility of Onslaught somehow coming back, being reborn, etc etc etc.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jiro posted:

Onslaught

We don't say that word on this house, young man!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

We don't say that word on this house, young man!

If anyone can pull off a badass Onslaught reveal it would be Hickman.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I'm gonna be honest, Scott's X-mask suit is my favorite costume he's ever had, and I like him best when he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

Agreed; rear end in a top hat Cyclops is my favorite version of him. I like that HoX has him being Xavier's dutiful son and a huge rear end in a top hat at the same time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jiro posted:

If anyone can pull off a badass Onslaught reveal it would be Hickman.

And yet he's opting instead to bring back Don Slaught

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

How long have you been holding on to that one??? And if Hickman knows anything about baseball it'll be the version of Slaught that played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. According to Baseball Reference because I didn't think anyone could have that name in real life

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm gonna be honest, Scott's X-mask suit is my favorite costume he's ever had, and I like him best when he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

On one of the covers he had a blue version with a normal visor that looked great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/QuixoticComics/status/1154771830860914688?s=19

Also we should probably make a new thread for the Hickman stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Might be better to wait for the wave 1 stuff, since it's still a lot of unknowns now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

Wait, Dan Slott wrote X-Men?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Might be better to wait for the wave 1 stuff, since it's still a lot of unknowns now.

We have titles, creators and characters for them.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jiro posted:

How long have you been holding on to that one??? And if Hickman knows anything about baseball it'll be the version of Slaught that played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. According to Baseball Reference because I didn't think anyone could have that name in real life
I hadn't thought of the man in decades, and then the other day my brother and I were reminiscing about working so hard and getting so excited to get cards/autographed by MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS at games in the late 80s/early 90s. We couldn't remember if Don Slaught or Rick Cerone (two mustachioed Yankees who started in back to back seasons) was one of the guys we were heartbroken to have missed out on getting a signature from. I didn't even make the connection about his name until this thread, but that is why his name was floating through my head.

I do not blame myself for this confusion:

Anyway this is all on topic because the X-Men would play softball a lot in this timeframe. They probably had a better catcher than the Yankees did in the late 80s/early 90s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

We have titles, creators and characters for them.

Yeah but what are you going to write about the 12 issue miniseries that sets it all up?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I say just start the thread now, and have the OP update it each week with a brief summary of the issues events. Now is the time to try and hook curious people.

EDIT: Thread of X.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I say start the thread now and if it looks like it's not taking off, reveal that it was actually the Avengers thread pretending to be the X-Men thread and then bring it back to life in a year or so.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dan Didio posted:

I say start the thread now and if it looks like it's not taking off, reveal that it was actually the Avengers Inhumans thread pretending to be the X-Men thread and then bring it back to life in a year or so.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao at this not taking of. Hickman’s been given the reigns to the X-Men at the eve of Marvel requiring their movie license. They’re absolutely going all in on whatever the hell he does to shake things up and then keep riding on the main X-Men book just in time for the MCU to start preproduction on an X-Men movie.

This is going to be a fun ride.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It does feel good to be excited about the X-Men again. Haven’t felt anything close to this since Aaron and Remender were on their X books.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hickman’s been such a big source for the MCU’s most well liked stuff, it’ll be interesting to see what sort of impact his X-Men make in terms of fertile ideas for adaptation.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

When/how did Apocalypse become a good guy, or are the cover previews the only indicator of this so far?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cheap Trick posted:

When/how did Apocalypse become a good guy, or are the cover previews the only indicator of this so far?

He's the grown up version of Evan, the young version of Apoc that was raised by Fantomex and attended the school.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He's the grown up version of Evan, the young version of Apoc that was raised by Fantomex and attended the school.

It might tie into the Age of X-Man stuff with Apocalypse too, him realizing the stuff about "family" and all that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martinpale posted:

It might tie into the Age of X-Man stuff with Apocalypse too, him realizing the stuff about "family" and all that.

I'm like 18 months behind on X-Men so I have no idea about that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Has Evan been "all grown up" outside of some alternate futures and whatever whammy got reversed during AXIS? Evan is/was still a young teen going by Genesis prior to Hickman's timejump/status quo shift, and was a main character in Hopeless's All-New X-Men which is well after AXIS.

He was also part of the cattle call group of X-Men that tried to stop Nate Grey, and was trapped inside Age of X-Man for the past several months of comics, and presumably comes back with everyone else, though he's not shown doing so (but neither are dozens of characters).

The biggest tell that Apocalypse and Evan are still going to be two separate characters in Hickman's run is that Genesis is on Hickman's big board of characters for the X-Men title, and Apocalypse is in Excalibur.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah Evan is still a kid - and was seen as such during Age of X-Man. The early indications are that Apocalypse really did have a genuine change of heart during the events of Age of X-Man and is trying to view the world through some lens that isn't brutal Darwinism; only time will tell if that's genuine or not, obviously.

I would look sort of cross-eyed at the idea of working with Apocalypse if the X-Men didn't have a long and storied history of taking in their villains and trying to reform them (Magneto, Juggernaut, Mimic... hell, Cannonball was working for the Hellfire Club in his first appearance). Those dudes'll try and reform anyone.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah Evan is still a kid - and was seen as such during Age of X-Man. The early indications are that Apocalypse really did have a genuine change of heart during the events of Age of X-Man and is trying to view the world through some lens that isn't brutal Darwinism; only time will tell if that's genuine or not, obviously.

I would look sort of cross-eyed at the idea of working with Apocalypse if the X-Men didn't have a long and storied history of taking in their villains and trying to reform them (Magneto, Juggernaut, Mimic... hell, Cannonball was working for the Hellfire Club in his first appearance). Those dudes'll try and reform anyone.

I feel like Cannonball shouldn't count because he defected in his first appearance. Warpath, though, was a member of the Hellions for a while before joining.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alaois posted:

I feel like Cannonball shouldn't count because he defected in his first appearance. Warpath, though, was a member of the Hellions for a while before joining.

Fair, but the point stands - the X-Men are all about second chances in service to the dream.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Fair, but the point stands - the X-Men are all about second chances in service to the dream.

Well, there's that and the part in House of X #1 where every mutant, including the "questionable" ones like Sabertooth, Mystique, and Toad are clearly welcome in the mutant sanctuary. I think they're going for the "it doesn't matter if you're a shitbag, you're still a mutant, and you have a home here" thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Basically every X-Men villain has already had a run being a good guy already

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

Basically every X-Men villain has already had a run being a good guy already

Even Mister Sinister?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's not a mutant, but they did make some half-hearted attempts at giving him a standard tragic past in the 90's.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He was also sort of a good in Age of Apocalypse, if only by virtue of being in opposition to Apocalypse. Other than that, he's a glam bastard through and through and I love him for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rantmo posted:

He was also sort of a good in Age of Apocalypse, if only by virtue of being in opposition to Apocalypse. Other than that, he's a glam bastard through and through and I love him for it.

Hickman used him perfectly in Secret Wars. I'm hoping he gets to writer him some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009