Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dielectric posted:

What's going on there? The bed is like nipple-high for me on the new F-150. gently caress lifting stuff that high, if I were in the market for a truck-o-mobile I'd want a Colorado, probably a fleet version without any monster truck cosplay crap on it.

I dailied an El Camino, so I may be biased.

I actually saw one of the new Honda Ridgeline pickups the other day & was surprised at how low it sat & how small it was compared to "normal" full size pickups nowadays. Looked about the size of a 90s S-10, too bad that front fascia looks horrible on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's gotten to the point they are getting to high for goosenecks. You know let's alienate the people that use their truck for actual truck purposes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I actually saw one of the new Honda Ridgeline pickups the other day & was surprised at how low it sat & how small it was compared to "normal" full size pickups nowadays. Looked about the size of a 90s S-10, too bad that front fascia looks horrible on it.

I'm probably weird but I like the boxy original Ridgeline

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Nah you ain't the only one, I kinda liked the original Ridgeline design too - only gripe was the short bed that didn't look like it could fit much in it. If they'd retooled or shrunk the front grille for the new one, it might not be so bad, it was just nice seeing a pickup that wasn't lifted like 8 feet off the ground.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
You can tow more weight than the bed can carry. But if they were worried about weight distribution, the gravel would have been at the front of the trailer instead of the back. So the answer is a combination of lazy and

Powershift posted:

Probably didn't want to scratch the factory bedliner :haw:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Nah you ain't the only one, I kinda liked the original Ridgeline design too - only gripe was the short bed that didn't look like it could fit much in it. If they'd retooled or shrunk the front grille for the new one, it might not be so bad, it was just nice seeing a pickup that wasn't lifted like 8 feet off the ground.

Ridgeline gets a bad rap. Yeah, suspect drivetrain I guess but for 99% of people that need a truck it does things quite well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's gotten to the point they are getting to high for goosenecks. You know let's alienate the people that use their truck for actual truck purposes.

lol they're a captive audience which is why theyre going to keep jacking trucks up and giving them names like 1776 COME AND TAKE IT LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT Edition

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pickup truck lowering kits for those who actually need to use it for work.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I am sorry to everyone who shared the road with me yesterday. I have sinned! I ran a red light while making a turn. It surprised me greatly that pedestrians and bikes had a green light and were crossing, since this intersection only had protected turns.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Saukkis posted:

Pickup truck lowering kits for those who actually need to use it for work.

They'll just have a fold out rope ladder from a hidden compartment in the doors so people can climb in. Or comedy option, have the doors fold down like Airstairs

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

They'll just have a fold out rope ladder from a hidden compartment in the doors so people can climb in. Or comedy option, have the doors fold down like Airstairs

There's a disabled old guy at my old gym who drives some brodozer GM truck. The entire driver's side - both doors - is welded together and lifts like a Lambo door. Stairs similar to those on that airplane drop out. It's quite something.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Make sure you watch the sound version!

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
cross-posted from the OSHA thread:

:allbuttons:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lmao holy poo poo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What the gently caress

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

That is an amazing amount of ability to "make it work" without understanding why it shouldn't.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-25/monash-freeway-crash-causes-delays-for-melbourne-motorists/11344868

Pretty brutal car accident on one of the main freeways for Melbourne Australia this morning. No one was killed, which is amazing when you see the condition of some of the cars

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I wonder how many times this guy said "yep, that's not going anywhere" while fastening and tightening bits of this rolling physics lesson.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

snugglz posted:

I shared these pictures with a bunch of people and for every "Oh god why?" I got back I got a "I don't see what's wrong?"

I know which people I should never ask to help me move now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
the only way that stupid thing even "works" to the extent that it does is because the truck is centered-ish over the trailer wheels, and even then it's still visibly dipping the back of the truck

"works" until you hit a pothole and it wobbles itself off the road, anyway

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ridgeline gets a bad rap. Yeah, suspect drivetrain I guess but for 99% of people that need a truck it does things quite well.

I've been able to do more work with a hatchback than the average truck owner actually does with his compensator

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

snugglz posted:

Holy poo poo. That's amazing.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Venting into the void.
This guy. Watched him park, no reason whatsoever to do this other than being an rear end in a top hat.

And another thing! Lane splitting is legal in California. I have no issue with it. All but a very few riders are courteous and safe about it. They know the difference between a quick blip of the throttle so that you know they are there and a redline tantrum.

Saw a redline tantrum the other morning. Nondescript white sedan in the carpool lane minding their own business but apparently not hugging the K rail to the satisfaction of sport bike boy. Pegs the throttle, engine bouncing off the limiter, car scoots over. As he passes he shakes his head in disgust and flails his left arm, pointing to the left.
---
A few days before this: Sport bike enters the freeway, traffic is slow but not quite jammed up. Rider weaves between cars working his way left, drat near perpendicular to the direction of travel, headed for the same gap a car is changing lanes to the right, a safely executed lane change. Car is about 2/3rds of the way into the lane when the sport bike swerves in, he swerves right. Head shake and flailing arm like he wasn't the dickhead.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I've been in Rhode Island for about the last month and have noticed what seems to me to be an oddly high number of people who drive around with their high beams on during the day. If I was back home in Florida I would assume its confused olds or the occasional rando who thinks the blue headlight on their dash means normal headlights, but there seems to be way too many people for this to be the case. Any New Englanders who can tell me if I'm crazy or people up here just do it as a matter of course (I assume they're paranoid about getting hit by distracted drivers or something).

On the other hand, the city (Middletown) has finally put in some loving protected left turns so every green is less of a clusterfuck of people trying to beat oncoming traffic into the Shaws/whatever. Progress!

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

I've been in Rhode Island for about the last month and have noticed what seems to me to be an oddly high number of people who drive around with their high beams on during the day. If I was back home in Florida I would assume its confused olds or the occasional rando who thinks the blue headlight on their dash means normal headlights, but there seems to be way too many people for this to be the case. Any New Englanders who can tell me if I'm crazy or people up here just do it as a matter of course (I assume they're paranoid about getting hit by distracted drivers or something).

Not a New Englander but its getting more and more common here in California too. Even if you disregard the incorrectly aimed and outright extra bright aftermarket HIDs and LEDs out there. The latest gen Accord seems to be a big offender.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

sleepy.eyes posted:

Haven't been seeing that here in MA. I've been seeing people here riding the lines between lanes up here.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

I've been in Rhode Island for about the last month and have noticed what seems to me to be an oddly high number of people who drive around with their high beams on during the day.

I did this on purpose once driving Miami->Chicago (for at least the Florida segment, anyway), trying to haul rear end back home after a trade show. It kinda worked to wake people up who'd fallen asleep in the left lane, and yeah it's annoying, but figured I wasn't blasting anybody's night vision during the day.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The police broke up a meet of street racers on the weekend and in addition to the expected BMWs and 350zs they impounded a Buick Roadmaster!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fornax Disaster posted:

The police broke up a meet of street racers on the weekend and in addition to the expected BMWs and 350zs they impounded a Buick Roadmaster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cormorant posted:

I've been able to do more work with a hatchback than the average truck owner actually does with his compensator

My grandfather was a house painter. So buckets, dropcloths, brushes, rollers, chemicals, paint, torches, ladders, rags. His work vehicle was a Plymouth Reliant station wagon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOa3jJK0GaE

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fornax Disaster posted:

hell yeah state sponsored theft owns

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Previa_fun posted:

hell yeah state sponsored theft owns

Civil asset forfeiture is state theft. Seizing evidence of a crime to present at trial is just seizing evidence of a crime.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just down the road from me https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/114553802/two-people-arrested-and-two-injured-after-serious-steamrolling-incident-in-wellington

‘Car enthusiasts’ steal diesel and do skids in a new industrial park. The contractor working on the place turns up, jumps in a roller and proceeds to roll over a some of the cars (after having more than a couple of drinks of course). Idiots all around.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Phanatic posted:

Civil asset forfeiture is state theft. Seizing evidence of a crime to present at trial is just seizing evidence of a crime.

They impound cars for seven days for stunt driving in Ontario, the owner will get it back - after paying the storage fee.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

That's definitely attempted murder, right?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seik posted:

That's definitely attempted murder, right?

In America? Attempted murder

In Russia? Just another day

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phanatic posted:

You're assuming a lot here.

An unmodified Buick Roadmaster getting swept up in a street racing sting sounds a lot like "cops rolled into a parking lot where some street racers were congregating and impounded literally every car in the lot whether they had evidence of wrongdoing or not."

Also given most states allow the police to take a cut of the proceeds of CAF it becomes increasingly difficult to determine what is civil asset forfeiture and what is "seizing evidence" when the police have a financial incentive to do one over the other. Also the evidence standards are wildly different - they don't have to prove poo poo with CAF (the onus is on the property owner to prove it wasn't obtained with the profits of or being used in the commission of a crime.)

In short, the reality we live in is not the same as the one you were taught about in civics class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Geoj posted:

You're assuming a lot here.

An unmodified Buick Roadmaster

Talk about assuming.