Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LifeLynx posted:

This is what WotC has always wanted. A judge started a class action lawsuit, which uh, good intentions maybe, maybe not, but it's responsible for Hasbro/WotC panicking and dismantling organized play in the most disorganized way possible.

when did that happen? and what does it mean to dismantle organized play? no more tournaments? that seems bad long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
judges should go on strike

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, it does sound like a company union, in that it's probably a sham entity created by Hasbro to evade prosecution for labor law violations

uh, aren't company unions explicitly illegal in the us?

yes yes i know lol at the idea that labor laws are ever enforced, but this is a bit explicit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

smertrioslol posted:

Yes, you will pay WotC minimum wage while judging

Paying WotC your money to answer the #4568th question about Opalescence is a form of financial domination.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A big flaming stink posted:

uh, aren't company unions explicitly illegal in the us?

yes yes i know lol at the idea that labor laws are ever enforced, but this is a bit explicit

Yes, which is why "employee involvement programs" that skirt around the letter of the law and create the superficial appearance of worker empowerment without actually addressing key grievances about labor and compensation came into being.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
from a reddit post:

quote:

From judge discord:

It's gonna be:
$100/yr for L1s and you get one set of foils/yr
$200/yr for L2s and you get two sets of foils/yr
$400/yr for L3s and you get four sets of foils/yr

obviously take this with a dumptruck of salt, but if it is true holy poo poo this is perhaps one of the worst ideas they've ever had

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

Paying WotC your money to answer the #4568th question about Opalescence is a form of financial domination.

Excuse me you're actually getting financially stepped on by ~unknown organization~ here and definitely for sure not WotC.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

when did that happen? and what does it mean to dismantle organized play? no more tournaments? that seems bad long term.

It was basically brushed under the rug. A judge started a class action lawsuit that was basically "treat us like employees!" which followed the lawsuit where a judge sued because he was upset that he didn't get the same judge foils at a GP as higher level judges. WotC's response to that one was to stop giving judge promos to everyone and instead make judges vote for which of them got promos. Which of course led to favoritism and judges who have more fellow judges in their area getting rewarded differently, but hey, WotC's hands were clean.

So it was no surprise when WotC's answer to the class action suit was to delay it for as long as possible and deny judges an outlet for pretty much everything. Judges aren't "required" anymore at store level events, so if a store declines to get adequate staff for an event, that's not WotC's fault. All actual staffing for Magic Fests is done by Channel Fireball. The organized play system was revamped haphazardly to downplay the role of and need for judges. No more PPTQs means no more necessary level 2+ judges for an event.

I didn't join the class action, but I was in the chat for it, and there was never any news. There's no longer any grounds for complaints because all the things that WotC should have treated us like employees for are things we're no longer required to do... except maybe the mandatory annual test to keep your certification, which is probably taken care of with the Judge Academy.

Arena requires no staff to run beyond an IT team and intern programmers, so it's perfect for them.

(I Am Not A Lawyer, this is just what I understand from talking to other judges for years.)

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 28, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

eagerly awaiting monday and all of the future backstepping and attempts at damage control this will bring

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
So it sounds like you're saying "get the judge foils you need now because who even knows how they'll be sent out in the future"?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A big flaming stink posted:

from a reddit post:

obviously take this with a dumptruck of salt, but if it is true holy poo poo this is perhaps one of the worst ideas they've ever had

That was an obvious joke buddy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh, ok

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

That was an obvious joke buddy.

I can confirm those prices and judge foil packets were not a joke.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

Elyv posted:

hogaak only got one copy into t8, guess it was overblown

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1155189515323133953

hmm

who could've predicted, and as soon as eldraine is released hogaak will be forgotten and y'all will cry about some new hot deck for the three months it's viable

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

One copy of hogaak in the top 8 doesn't sound bad, but the most played card is leyline of the void and a bunch of decks are maindecking it. It's too fast and powerful for modern to be a t3.5 format.

Where's neoform at? It seems like it would be great against a field stacked against graveyard decks

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ilmucche posted:

One copy of hogaak in the top 8 doesn't sound bad, but the most played card is leyline of the void and a bunch of decks are maindecking it. It's too fast and powerful for modern to be a t3.5 format.

This is a result of variance. Hogaak had the highest winrate of all the major decks at the tournament.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

IANAL but don't class actions usually refer to a specific period, and changes implemented by the company after they're filed don't impact them?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tqilamknbrd posted:

who could've predicted, and as soon as eldraine is released hogaak will be forgotten and y'all will cry about some new hot deck for the three months it's viable

My coin lands on heads 55% of the time and it came up tails 7 times in a row! Probability is bullshit!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jund gets the most decks in the top 8. It's back baby!

Unban Deathrite

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GoutPatrol posted:

Jund gets the most decks in the top 8. It's back baby!

Unban Deathrite

reban bloodbraid elf

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
did Limited Resources just not post an episode this week?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

IANAL but don't class actions usually refer to a specific period, and changes implemented by the company after they're filed don't impact them?

Not a lawyer but from what I remember from the Opening Arguments podcast:

A class action lawsuit is a lawsuit where the plaintiff is a "class" of individuals, filed over an issue that affected all of the individuals that signed onto the class action suit. For courtroom purposes the lawfirm/lawyers representing the plaintiff(s) choose a small sample of the "class" to be representatives for the whole to give testimony and/or be present at proceedings.

There's some other specific things about them I don't recall but that's the gist of it.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 28, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Where's neoform at? It seems like it would be great against a field stacked against graveyard decks

not many people ran it and less than 50% made day 2. neoform is super inconsistent and folds to any sort of interaction. it's frustrating to lose to but hard to run hot enough to carry more than a 5 round mtgo league

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Personally I'm just glad the free ride for those smug judges has ended.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

salt shakeup posted:

Personally I'm just glad the free ride for those smug judges has ended.

finally the money goes to people that deserve it: those hard-working marketing consultants billing hasbro

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

tqilamknbrd posted:

It had way too high of a day 2 conversion rate, what did the top 8 do to beat it and how can Hogaak adapt to that?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It had way too high of a day 2 conversion rate, what did the top 8 do to beat it and how can Hogaak adapt to that?

They won more matches of limited, mostly. Three 6-3-1 players made top 8, going 12-3-1 (6-0 limited) to beat out a bunch of players at 21 match points or better, which you can see on reddit below:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/cimzii/modern_deck_performance_mc_iv/

28 of the 72 decks that finished that high were some form of Hogaak deck, for a 39% 21+ point share. Practically speaking? The best way for Hogaak to adapt from here is to be played exclusively in tournaments that do NOT feature limited rounds.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

55% winrate on 20% of the field probably gets you around 2 top 8 berths expected as well, so it's not like having only 1 is some insane statistical aberration.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It really feels like Wizards is trying to phase out organized play like PTs and GPs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Entropic posted:

It really feels like Wizards is trying to phase out organized play like PTs and GPs.

So I was thinking such; having competitive play being done through Arena is cheaper and better for viewers, but I hadn't considered the idea that they'd also want to do so to avoid the issue of the judge program, a vital backbone to organized play that has been more-or-less free because they got paid in product, thought there's no untangling the two impetuses at this point.

Either way, yes. I'd be willing to bet paper magic becomes casual until (if) it becomes unprofitable.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I think Arena is WotC's big plan for tournaments from now on. Far easier to organize, no need for as much space, more universally accessible, and far easier to watch on streams. It wouldn't surprise me at all if high-level sanctioned paper tournaments began to be phased out.

I doubt they'll ever stop making paper product though; it's far too popular and there's a lot of money to be made there for those of us who still like playing at an LGS level, be it casually or FNMs/local tournaments.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also you can't cheat in Arena

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eej posted:

*Furiously clicks cat.*

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What was the cat-clicking thing, like does it actually affect the other player somehow when you click on it?
I had assumed that all the clicking of cats / gargoyles / scorpions / whatever was purely client-side on your screen only and had no effect whatsoever on the other player, it would be hilarious to learn I'm wrong about that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The cat colour updated as fast as you could click it and people with ancien laptops would get FPS lagged so hard they couldn't play

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Entropic posted:

did Limited Resources just not post an episode this week?

They're usually a bit late on the weeks during a protour since Marshall and Louis usually record it their hotel room after the tournament.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Eej posted:

Also you don't have to watch people shuffle and flick their hand every second of the tournament.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My goal in life is to become a hikikomori.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

watching coverage and every time they say "Wrenn and S--" i think they're going to end with "timpy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

55% winrate on 20% of the field probably gets you around 2 top 8 berths expected as well, so it's not like having only 1 is some insane statistical aberration.

Not just that, but 6 matches are based on their Modern Horizons draft record.

EDIT:
Looks like the deck rankings came out: https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC4/24-27-modern-match-point-decklists-2019-07-28
11/20 were Hoogak

oryx fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 28, 2019