Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Worf complains about the dress uniforms looking like dresses at one point, which felt out of place.

Mostly because at that point in the show, they don't even look like dresses anymore.

Like, how short are dresses where you come from, Worf?

The earlier uniforms were the dress-looking ones.

That line upset me greatly as a child. What, are we to expect this is some sort of magic dress uniform? I certainly hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Powered Descent posted:

Got to disagree with you on this one. It might just be due to the crappy pre-restoration VHS version I saw as a kid, but I always saw Talos IV as having a turquoisey, two-strip technicolor look to it. I think I even praised the episode in the Disco thread for getting the planet's color scheme right (even if the effect is kind of cranked up to 11).

It’s blue toned, but a good bit more subtly than Disco’s version

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Dynamic! Exciting! Absolutely bonkers!

In defense of DISCO which I haven't watched, I don't mind a Star Trek show being more experimental with it's direction so long as it makes sense if that makes any logical sense.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

skasion posted:

well fair enough, I'm not a fan of disco's stylistic choice specifically then.

love that matte painting of talos in the cage in the background

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

In defense of DISCO which I haven't watched, I don't mind a Star Trek show being more experimental with it's direction so long as it makes sense if that makes any logical sense.

Totally same, but many experiments fail

It was just cranked to warp 11

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That first background screams "Ok lighting crew, rip out all the R02 and Bastard Amber and throw some powder blue and aqua green into the mix"

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Discovery because the camera was so hyperactive. Combined with the lens flare, my eyes/brain could never really comprehend the size and shape of any of the rooms on the ship.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kinda reminds me of how other Star Treks borrow heavily aesthetically from whatever other shows or TV that are popular at the time. DS9 and Babylon 5 were drinking from the same well, and a lot of Enterprise is remeniscent of Stargate.

Discovery has a lot of the same cinematography that bugged me enough to keep me from getting into the Expanse. You can't have bright lights and dim lighting at the same time.

mehall posted:

So I don't have much issue with most of what you said, though whilst all the points you made are definitely accurate points to talk about the cinematography, I just don't have much issue with them personally.

Calling out this one though, modern fight scenes are cut like this because it's a hell of a lot quicker and cheaper to make fairly realistic looking fights with weight behind them, without having the actors go through months and months of expensive fight training and re-shots on re-shots on re-shots, and with regards to the "Where is their superior officer", Saru is present and literally in the scene says to people to let it continue instead of breaking it up.

Not every fight needs to be a modern choreography kung fu spectacular though. So much of modern cinematography has gotten up its own rear end about making fights that look cool that they've gotten miles away from what any real fight would look like. It just feels dumb trying to cover up how they didn't have enough time/money to make it look even more dumb. You can get a lot more weight by just cutting duration in half or more instead of stretching out half a minute on people rolling around.

There are some great fight scenes out there, but if you're already trying to cut down on your expenses, there should be no shame in reducing a scene into a couple punches and a little weird grappling instead of flashing the camera around like a maniac afraid that people might see what's on the screen.

BioEnchanted posted:

Worf complains about the dress uniforms looking like dresses at one point, which felt out of place.

Klingon uniforms aren't particularly non-dresslike either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are some great fight scenes out there, but if you're already trying to cut down on your expenses, there should be no shame in reducing a scene into a couple punches and a little weird grappling instead of flashing the camera around like a maniac afraid that people might see what's on the screen.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

the 60s seemed like a wild time, you just went with it baby

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Discovery because the camera was so hyperactive. Combined with the lens flare, my eyes/brain could never really comprehend the size and shape of any of the rooms on the ship.

I like Discovery but that first episode was practically impossible to follow.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

piratepilates posted:

(actually I kind of like the set of that crews quarter (aside from literally half of it just being open space with no furniture), looks like a modern condo with some nice even lighting, kinda cozy)

Imagine getting out of the shower and padding across this room. Imagine the reflections.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Expanse looks vastly superior to Disco as well as being better in pretty much every other way. If Disco is trying to ape it, it’s bad at it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 29, 2019

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Living in such dim spaces would probably drive everyone into a depression, plus all the eye strain making folks irritable from the constant headaches.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

I still love that the commercial for the video game tie-in to Into Darkness had William Shatner and some guy in a Gorn costume reenact this fight.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Living in such dim spaces would probably drive everyone into a depression, plus all the eye strain making folks irritable from the constant headaches.

Not if you're from the mirror universe!

Which was a stupid explanation on the first place, made stupider by the lack of any change after that revelation

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

skasion posted:

If you're going to get pedantic about lighting not matching the 1960s shots then you probably want to start with the fact that in that first photo Talos IV apparently has multiple suns close to the horizon casting those shadows.

Or you know, you could accept that they aren't trying to replicate obvious stage lighting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

frickin see more skin on this guy than you do any cardassian in the whole show. ffs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's the bit that annoys me about people complaining about the D being comfortable or TOS being bright. Yeah, no poo poo, people have to live on these things for years. The D was designed so people would live in it for a decade or so in happiness.

I remember a while back looking a what they did for designing the South Pole base where they needed to make a building for two hundred people to stay in for six months of darkness without them going crazy, and it looked remarkably TOS-like. Bright spaces with lots of giant slabs of color in the corridors. Everyone in winterover getting their own tiny room instead of bigger bunk rooms, because having that personal space is important to staying sane.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 29, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek: Experience Beige

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Beige, or...?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If I were in space for a long time, I'd want lots of plants.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Arglebargle III posted:

:vince:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

He puts the B.J. in Bij

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The is no 'I' in 'Kleangon', BROTHER!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pick posted:

frickin see more skin on this guy than you do any cardassian in the whole show. ffs

Please spooncleavage is Iconic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

Mods!

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
When the Expanse went all loopy zoomy twisty with the camera, it tended to be in low gravity and to communicate how disorientating space is. There was a point. There was still plenty of standard shot scenes that trusted the script and the performances to keep the audience engaged. Unfortunately Discos script is poo poo and the actors aren’t, for the most part, very good, so the whole thing ends up looking like the editor just got onto their first NLE during an internship at MTV in 1995.

Also, they do it because they think your stupid.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

It's the bit that annoys me about people complaining about the D being comfortable or TOS being bright. Yeah, no poo poo, people have to live on these things for years. The D was designed so people would live in it for a decade or so in happiness.

I remember a while back looking a what they did for designing the South Pole base where they needed to make a building for two hundred people to stay in for six months of darkness without them going crazy, and it looked remarkably TOS-like. Bright spaces with lots of giant slabs of color in the corridors. Everyone in winterover getting their own tiny room instead of bigger bunk rooms, because having that personal space is important to staying sane.
Things having light and color are baby poo poo for kids. Things need to be dark and full of stark metal surfaces in order to be teenaged adult!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wrong, the actors on Discovery are very good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really, really want to see Michael Burnham go for at least a few consecutive episodes without being teary-eyed though. Sonequa Martin-Green is fantastic and has a wide range, and yet I feel like every other DISCO episode has her getting super welled up about one thing or another.

But otherwise yeah, DISCO has many faults but the strength of its actors is generally not one of them. Tyler's not great, but I don't know enough about Shazad Latif to be able to say whether or not that's more a result of the acting or of bad writing (which DISCO is definitely guilty of).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

I agree that it sucks but I blame more of that on the sort of poo poo y'all threw money at (marvel movies). like I think every other shot of Thor in the original was a dootch anglae

To be fair, Thor (the movie) often gets called out specifically on that.

I don't mind Disco's visual style, kinda like it even with the heavy dark/light contrasts, but the unnecessary camera movement is just loving bonkers. Aside from twisting and spinning through perfectly serene scenes, they do that thing where the camera is always moving a little, to mimic docu-style handheld, and sometimes I just wanna grab both ends of my TV and yell HOLD STILL into the screen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

piratepilates posted:

The other stylistic choice that really gets to me is how many scenes end up bathed in harsh light, and again this is usually scenes of people discussing something boring in a completely pedestrian manner. It looks like the crew should be walking around wearing sunglasses all the time, at least have some blinds drawn when you have the ship parked right next to a glaring sun.

Excellent post all around, but I want to point out that the absurd lighting also looks fakey and underdone/ENHANCED as hell and draws attention to how fakey everything else is. What has consistently prevented me from bothering with Discovery is how loving tacky it looks, let alone all the terrible poo poo I hear about the plot.

Abramstrek was ten years ago, it's depressing watching this show make a poor showing of aping it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pastamania posted:

Also, they do it because they think your you're stupid.

FTFY.

I hate fight choreography that has one person against many foes, most of whom stand there doing nothing but waiting for their cue to attack, and it's so obvious.

Like Batman should be dead a thousand times. Rey, too, in The Last Jedi. Or in the Picard trailer, the fight on the steps looks awful.

https://youtu.be/Ja8cHYtF8n4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

I really, really want to see Michael Burnham go for at least a few consecutive episodes without being teary-eyed though. Sonequa Martin-Green is fantastic and has a wide range, and yet I feel like every other DISCO episode has her getting super welled up about one thing or another.
Yeah it almost became a joke by like the 8th episode she had some crying scene in a row

Once Spock shows up it’s like every episode until the finale

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Snorb posted:

I still love that the commercial for the video game tie-in to Into Darkness had William Shatner and some guy in a Gorn costume reenact this fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWV0ycFLxM8

Thank you for the wonderful gift of this thing's existence.

The game had already provided me many bounties of joy, watching various other people play it and ice skate through the corridors or deliberately get their friends killed in entertaining ways, but now I have this, as well.

You've made my day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and that was the last major Star Trek game that wasn’t the VR thing or mobile trash

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

piratepilates posted:

For some reason the planet has a weird colour filter lazily slapped on it to make the planet seem more alien? In the "Previously On" footage at the start of the episode you could see the (same) planet didn't have a blue tint, it was just a neutral balance like Earth.

Hey is that the same place they did the location shots for The Ship in DS9? (Or was it Rocks and Shoals...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Excellent post all around, but I want to point out that the absurd lighting also looks fakey and underdone/ENHANCED as hell and draws attention to how fakey everything else is. What has consistently prevented me from bothering with Discovery is how loving tacky it looks, let alone all the terrible poo poo I hear about the plot.

Abramstrek was ten years ago, it's depressing watching this show make a poor showing of aping it.

I'm glad I'm not insane for thinking the show looks expensive and cheap at the same time