Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Quavers posted:

Nothing's happened, and Sq42 is still in Quarter 2 :shrug:

Would I be alone in thinking how can version 3 of stealth be 60% done when version 2 is only 50% done.

Actually I don't remember v1 being completed ever?

Confusion from the most transparent development ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

There's no point fixing bugs in SC because none of its systems, NONE of them, are remotely finalized from a design standpoint. So if you're going to end up having to ditch and remake it why fix bugs in it?
7 years in and we still haven't even hit the "proof of concept" level yet.

There's not even a SINGLE level to demonstrate what the single player SQ42 is supposed to be like, much less approaching a finished game.
There's also never been a server that can support anything near MMO levels of players or persistent state.

This isn't a game. Its the world's most elaborate and expensive game pitch.

Exactly. Star Citizen is stub code attached to models you can sort of move around. There aren't really bugs because the game isn't actually assembled in a sane way. Is it a "bug" that everything clips through everything else, that no missions function, the endless parade of problems? No - that's what you would, and should, expect when you throw a bunch of models into a game engine with no substructure and no plan.

Star Citizen is a 3D screenshot generator and there's not a lick of game code in it. What could they possibly "debug?" Even calling them "bugs" is a way for CIG to sell the lie: they're making a game, games have bugs, and therefore the bugs prove they're making a game.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wonder how often Chris just loads up the code base and just tinkers away, changing things without telling anyone else.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Never have a second Hairy Roberts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

happyhippy posted:

I wonder how often Chris just loads up the code base and just tinkers away, changing things without telling anyone else.

Chris doesn't even play the game much less write code.

There was some stream long ago where he loaded up the IDE to make it look like he was a code wizard and like someone had to help him get the game started.

Dude just goes "make that pixel green" and then walks off.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Working at CI(G) in any capacity except "Chris or a relative of Chris or Chris's lawyer" must be incredibly frustrating. But what I really can't imagine is what it would be like to work QA at CI(G). Gotta imagine that their job consists of being given too little time to try to find the worst of the bugs before releases go to the PTU. Not sure what they do the rest of the time but my guess is that they drink. I would.

I wonder whether the phrase "regression suite" has ever been uttered in any of their studios.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

happyhippy posted:

More often than he loads up the game, joins a live server and plays for 20 minutes.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Chris wears black, all the drat time, like Holmes, he copies Apple's presentations.

Like Theranos, I'm betting my money that most teams work as silos. Since EVERYTHING goes through his approval, its not far fetched to say that he's going exactly by the playbook. Theranos died because it was tied to real life science, you can't defeat physics and science in general, everything Theranos did was scientifically extremely difficult / improbable.

Chris on the other hand is not working on the next great thing that would make significant benefits to life in general, he's faking SC until he can make it. At the moment he's wingclipped / hamstrung by technical challenges because a) bad engine pick, b) bad management. He has teams working on demos after demos, technical presentations without a working game with working mechanics. He's playing magician until the tech comes around so he can finally make the game he's been wanting to.

He presents his demos first so people have an embedded idea how this game can be. He drops broken rear end builds so people can recreate whatever that was shown, or have the impression they are playing some thing that _will be_. The best this to come of this project is Chris' ability to create illusion after illusion and have people buying in.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

It's literally a hole in the ground marked "Your concerns here" and the fans are encouraged to just dump all their negativity into it.

But what a hole!

I've found at least one Skyrim in there...

BALLISTA EXPLODES RANDOMLY

BALLISTA FALLS THROUGH FLOOR AFTER EXITING DRIVERS SEAT

GRIM HEX ELEVATORS SPAWN OUTSIDE THEIR SHAFTS

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

Elevator spawns outside its shaft, you can clip through the railings to enter it but then you can't leave

ARROWHEAD SNIPER RIFLE HOLDING BREATH STAYS TIL YOU PASS OUT

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

THIS IS THE BEST SNIPER RIFLE FEATURE EVER AND SHOULD BE IN ALL GAMES! :magical:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oh my God this is amazing :allears:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Alot of FUD here, if anything you say is true, why has hard posting new site, Pixel Lemonade not reported on it?

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Grubby Hobo posted:

Working at CI(G) in any capacity except "Chris or a relative of Chris or Chris's lawyer" must be incredibly frustrating. But what I really can't imagine is what it would be like to work QA at CI(G). Gotta imagine that their job consists of being given too little time to try to find the worst of the bugs before releases go to the PTU. Not sure what they do the rest of the time but my guess is that they drink. I would.

I wonder whether the phrase "regression suite" has ever been uttered in any of their studios.

The PTU IS the QA of this game, everything is rushed out to meet the deadline for another infusion of Calders cash.

CI doesn't care enough to even attempt to bug test the utmost broken rear end poo poo they release to the public. Other companies will occasionally release a broken patch, whole game is broken but then in a day or 2 theres another patch that unfucks everything, CI is not like that, if CI they released an update that blue screen peoples PCs when they launched the game; "oh well wait 3 months for the next patch".

The Whales don't give a poo poo, 90% don't play the game, those that do say it's all fine since Derek Smart tweeted about being broken.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

stingtwo posted:

The PTU IS the QA of this game, everything is rushed out to meet the deadline for another infusion of Calders cash.

CI doesn't care enough to even attempt to bug test the utmost broken rear end poo poo they release to the public. Other companies will occasionally release a broken patch, whole game is broken but then in a day or 2 theres another patch that unfucks everything, CI is not like that, if CI they released an update that blue screen peoples PCs when they launched the game; "oh well wait 3 months for the next patch".

The Whales don't give a poo poo, 90% don't play the game, those that do say it's all fine since Derek Smart tweeted about being broken.

I'd say that the games industry as a whole is around as good as CIG when it comes to patches. Look at the biggest titles around and you'll see gamebreaking bugs persist for months, Fallout 76, Payday 2, Battlefield 3, 4 and 1, Skyrim in all it's iterations, most modern games have some bugs that fly under the radar for long. Hell, even the latest release of CTR had some really lovely collision bugs for weeks before the fix and some are still in. Or just plain bad design decisions, looking at the very same examples I've given you can find extremely bad design decisions and not in small things, I'd like to remind you how unbelievably lovely is the default menu in Skyrim or how ridiculously unoptimised the Diesel engine is for the Payday 2 franchise.

The problem here is that there's nothing else to Star Citizen. All those other games are functional wholes with gameplay loops that work despite the bugs. Here there are bugs but it's because we assume the game can't work like that. But noone knows. Not even the creators know what they're making because there's no design. So when a patch changes something for the worse we assume it's a bug but noone can say that. Look at what Sarsapariller experiences. This is so unfun and unreasonable I start to doubt if the bugs we're seeing aren't malice by the devs.

EDIT: And all of this has been said before and will be said again since the Star Citizen cycle continues.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I will be majorly impressed if they can ever reliable get the Ballista missile truck to ever drive up a ramp into any kind of spacecraft. My money (which Chris can never have) is on, at best them making a ship with a elevator that lowers (like in one of there earlier video - with a rover) because at 17 meters long the ramp would have to have a very sallow angle for the truck not to bottom out big time. (Which I'm sure would lead to ship and/or truck exploding and/or being flung randomly though the air)

I'd like to say I called it but it's not much of a call really.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 29, 2019

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Look, getting vehicles into other vehicles was done way back in 2003 in games like Planetside and Battlefield. Star Citizen will not be burdened by such old tech and will therefore introduce completely new never-done-before behaviours if you try to do that. It's all part of the plan.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kosumo posted:

I will be majorly impressed if they can ever reliable get the Ballista missile truck to ever drive up a ramp into any kind of spacecraft. My money (which Chris can never have) is on, at best them making a ship with a elevator that lowers (like in one of there earlier video - with a rover) because at 17 meters long the ramp would have to have a very sallow angle for the truck not to bottom out big time. (Which I'm sure would lead to ship and/or truck exploding and/or being flung randomly though the air)

I'd like to say I called it but it's not much of a call really.

I think it was Macross / Gundam where ships had limited armaments and would use these Walker things that would move about on the hulls to provide support. So that means we can have these Ballistas moving around on our ship hulls and provide more firepower??

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Just tell me if Mechwarrior 5 will be ok.
Its going to be ok, right?
And good.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

no_recall posted:

I think it was Macross / Gundam where ships had limited armaments and would use these Walker things that would move about on the hulls to provide support. So that means we can have these Ballistas moving around on our ship hulls and provide more firepower??

"Yes"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loving LOL

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

gotta watch out for clipsand

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Got me with the first one, thought this was a serious entry.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

:five:

So good

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Scanned that whole thread for anymore salty art, but it was just clones of every lame bumper sticker under the sun. :sad:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

would've been a+ if ride was in the plural

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Kikas posted:

I'd say that the games industry as a whole is around as good as CIG when it comes to patches. Look at the biggest titles around and you'll see gamebreaking bugs persist for months, Fallout 76, Payday 2, Battlefield 3, 4 and 1, Skyrim in all it's iterations, most modern games have some bugs that fly under the radar for long. Hell, even the latest release of CTR had some really lovely collision bugs for weeks before the fix and some are still in. Or just plain bad design decisions, looking at the very same examples I've given you can find extremely bad design decisions and not in small things, I'd like to remind you how unbelievably lovely is the default menu in Skyrim or how ridiculously unoptimised the Diesel engine is for the Payday 2 franchise.

The problem here is that there's nothing else to Star Citizen. All those other games are functional wholes with gameplay loops that work despite the bugs. Here there are bugs but it's because we assume the game can't work like that. But noone knows. Not even the creators know what they're making because there's no design. So when a patch changes something for the worse we assume it's a bug but noone can say that. Look at what Sarsapariller experiences. This is so unfun and unreasonable I start to doubt if the bugs we're seeing aren't malice by the devs.

EDIT: And all of this has been said before and will be said again since the Star Citizen cycle continues.

Look at the patch notes though https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//17160-Star-Citizen-Alpha-360, there are 38 supposed bug fixes in this, out of those, 28 of them have "should" in them, Sarsaparilla is probably best person here to give a number of the those that are actually fixed, because to me, this just reads as didn't test what is put out. I get that some games like Fallout 76 are just straight up broken, never get fixed, but CI is above and beyond what others do. Bethesda at least has the courtesy to not put out a patch, lie to it's userbase and say these little things are fixed when they clearly are not, their player base also doesn't lie to others about the state of mess presented.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

From r/LegalAdvice:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

And good.

Sure, if you like :pgi: and EGS exclusive titles.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

That's glorious. It really is a simulation!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kikas posted:

So say we all.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

And good.

Good news; Epic customers will be beta-testing it for everyone else. I wouldn't hold out much hope as it's PGI, and they've been interesting for years.

'Transverse' is the joke that will always keep giving.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140915121157/https://transversegame.com/

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 29, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:hmmyes:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:classiclol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Sean Murray finding time away from No Man's Sky development to write hit pieces on Star Citizen :black101:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Quavers posted:

quote:

The point being, that with all the customary delays and the backlog and all the work left to do to make these reasonable and respectable implementations, why are we still not seeing more at a faster rate. If SQ42 is so close to being pushed out. Why can't some of those resources be put toward addressing these things? They can already do the straight to flyable thing. So why not fast track some ships in the backlog? Why not devote resources to what can be done now so that it can be tested? Just curious.

lol, this is part of the reason I have trouble believing the average age of remaining citizen isn't weighed down by a large mass of 12 year olds.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

But the running, jumping and shooting professions are all catered for according to RexShilla.

You can run, and you can jump, and there's some shooting involved. I mean, effectively that's a full game; look at super meat boy. That didn't even have the shooting.

Virtual Captain posted:

lol, this is part of the reason I have trouble believing the average age of remaining citizen isn't weighed down by a large mass of 12 year olds.

Or one huge 12 year old.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hopefully someone looks in to the absurd and abused tax credit system for games in the UK

quote:

GTA V has sold more than 100m copies, making it one of the most profitable entertainment products of all time. It racked up £1bn in its first three days on sale in 2013. According to Take-Two earnings reports, GTA V’s online component, GTA Online, has generated hundreds of millions in revenue.

But the company paid no corporation tax between 2009 and 2018. It received £42m in tax credits from the government’s video games tax relief scheme, which was set up in 2014 to bolster the UK’s £5bn games industry, much of which is made up of small and medium-sized developers. The sum is equivalent to 19% of the total relief paid to the entire UK games industry since 2014, TaxWatch reports.

To qualify for the tax relief scheme, games under development must pass a cultural test administered by the British Film Institute that establishes a significant contribution to British culture. To qualify, games must score at least 16 out of a possible 31 points attributed for British settings, characters and development, and promoting cultural diversity. GTA V, a satirical game set in a fictionalised California, qualified in 2015.
I think the whole thing might be dismantled come boris's brexit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quavers posted:

Sean Murray finding time away from No Man's Sky development to write hit pieces on Star Citizen :black101:

No Man's Sky was developed by a team of 12 people, launched, and even at release had more content than Star Citizen has right now with their team of 350 people. No Man's Sky took less time to develop too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

How can we know development hell if we've never been to development heaven?