Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

moush posted:

On another note of WotC being smart, they raised the price of boosters following their abolishment of MSRP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/cjaox3/uk_lgs_owner_on_price_increases/

so I see the wag the dog moment to slip in the rise in booster pack prices is going well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the direct result of this policy is more judge calls at big events like that one twitter thread from the other day, until it becomes a big enough problem WOTC can’t ignore it. then we get another mea culpa and a blog post entitled “Judging 3.0.”

just pay your loving employees WOTC, Christ

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

just pay your loving employees WOTC, Christ

at this point i think wotc would rather just shut down its sanctioned competitive paper events

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

The number of L2s pretending this doesn't gently caress over L1s is pissing me off.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

little munchkin posted:

the player thought that choosing to not retroactively put the pact trigger on the stack meant the opponent could never pay for it, and therefore would lose. even after having it repeatedly explained to them that this was not true, the player chose not to. then when their opponent didn't have to pay the mana and also would not lose the game, they got mad at the judge

it's not meant to be a story of judge incompetence, it's a story of the poo poo that judges have to deal with

when i was a judge way back, one guy got increasingly mad when i explained to him that yes, his opponent can cast an instant to give his creature flying midcombat, to the point where he said "i pay your salary" so yeah it's incredible some of the poo poo judges deal with

at a different tournament, the head judge of ontario regionals made a public announcment around round 3 that no, you can't activate morph abilities with damping sphere on the battlefield, despite my insistence that he was incorrect, so yeah it's incredible some of the poo poo players deal with

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Brownhat posted:

The number of L2s pretending this doesn't gently caress over L1s is pissing me off.

I'm in a regional FB group for judges and so far there's been one dissenter among dozens of cheerleaders

I guess a lot of these people really just see it as a hobby where they occasionally net foils

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'm in a regional FB group for judges and so far there's been one dissenter among dozens of cheerleaders

I guess a lot of these people really just see it as a hobby where they occasionally net foils

I'm in a chat and it's one guy jumping backwards through hoops to try to justify paying $200/yr. and everyone else complaining.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

when i was a judge way back, one guy got increasingly mad when i explained to him that yes, his opponent can cast an instant to give his creature flying midcombat, to the point where he said "i pay your salary" so yeah it's incredible some of the poo poo judges deal with

at a different tournament, the head judge of ontario regionals made a public announcment around round 3 that no, you can't activate morph abilities with damping sphere on the battlefield, despite my insistence that he was incorrect, so yeah it's incredible some of the poo poo players deal with

wait, what

like, the dominaria uncommon?

Really eager to hear the thinking behind that

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

He meant to say Damping Matrix.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

wait, what

like, the dominaria uncommon?

Really eager to hear the thinking behind that

Maybe they meant Linvala? And the judge thought morph was an activated ability?

E: oh damping matrix

Imagine being a judge and not understanding morph

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Days like today make me regret having an interest in judging in the first place. Like, why did I help to build this up when these people don't want to help themselves?

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Sickening posted:

:allears: Amazing

Still trying to move all the paper magic cards I have. We are just a few bad organized play announcements away from really bad things. Don't be left holding the bag.

I don't think paper magic is in such immediate danger that it's better to just panic sell everything off now. Will be looking to trim my collection to just a modern and 1-2 legacy decks though just in case.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I for one think it's good that those dastardly leeches called "judges" are being forced to contribute something.

I was gonna follow this up sooner but I had to take care of my grandma for a few hours.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I was gonna follow this up sooner but I had to take care of my grandma for a few hours.

its good

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Very good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:five:

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I agree with everyone saying this is a shameless grift against volunteers in the judge program. It is a slimy calculation on the part of WotC.

I disagree with the thought that this move would have negative financial implications for WotC, even in a worst case scenario. The addiction to opening packs is not impacted by this in the slightest manner, and the two most popular paper formats (presumably still casual and EDH) don't use judges to begin with.

The cartoony explanation of how this decision got made would be a comic strip of:

Panel 1) Some haircut-in-a-suit asking "What kind of customers are we enduring this litigation from judges for?"
Panel 2) Finance guy, pushing up his glasses, saying "Well if you see here in the ledger, right below "casual" and "commander" and "Arena" and "confused grandpare-"" and then the suit says "gently caress!?"
Panel 3) A screenshot of that announcement telling judges they get to pay to volunteer now.

fake edit: sorta sniped by Orange Fluffy Sheep. Very good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

odiv posted:

He meant to say Damping Matrix.

Yeah this, sorry it's been... 15 years? Yikes.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Brownhat posted:

For me, I think L2s are getting hurt worse than L1s. As an L1 (with pretty much no requirements to maintain other than "do judge stuff"), I can make way more than $100 per year in comp for prereleases and stuff, and the JA dues become a subscription fee for the training, exams, and other content.

L2s are expected to put in more work, and then pay more in dues, but their comp really isn't particularly better, since they mostly work in the same capacities as L1s.

The L1s that are store employees are in limbo. They don't really get any extra comp for judging outside of their paychecks (presumably) and a $100/year expense could be a burden. (I could see stores just paying it so they can say "hey, our staff is JA Certified™") but there's no guarantee.)

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Skyl3lazer posted:

Big thanks to the boring shitlords that cross posted stuff to reddit :mad:

More stolen goon valor?!?

Worth the wait - soon to appear on reddit as well!

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
JA having an AMA on reddit now with their answers posted tomorrow.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"It hasn't been decided."

Will this help judges at all?
"No."

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Lone Goat posted:

was Desert Sky the one that didn't want to use the London Mulligan because MUH FREEDOMS or was that something else

No it’s the insane libertarian Arizona owner that writes about spies from other stores coming in for corporate espionage.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

born on a buy you posted:

No it’s the insane libertarian Arizona owner that writes about spies from other stores coming in for corporate espionage.

It appears I had this guy mixed up with Black Diamond games, who uses the same layout and discusses the same things.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CellBlock posted:

For me, I think L2s are getting hurt worse than L1s. As an L1 (with pretty much no requirements to maintain other than "do judge stuff"), I can make way more than $100 per year in comp for prereleases and stuff, and the JA dues become a subscription fee for the training, exams, and other content.

L2s are expected to put in more work, and then pay more in dues, but their comp really isn't particularly better, since they mostly work in the same capacities as L1s.

The L1s that are store employees are in limbo. They don't really get any extra comp for judging outside of their paychecks (presumably) and a $100/year expense could be a burden. (I could see stores just paying it so they can say "hey, our staff is JA Certified™") but there's no guarantee.)

I hate that as an L1 who puts in the bare minimum of effort to maintain my status (judge a five hour prerelease now and then for a box), who doesn't hob-knob with other judges for exemplar foils, paying $100 for some foils I can most likely flip for $150+ should be a no-brainer for me. It's just the principle of the thing.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

In non-judge news, Gab is playing a sweet Soulherder infinite value infinite turns deck to success in Modern (so far, it's part of a league in).

https://app.cardboard.live/shared-deck/8b944ae4-45dd-11e9-9cde-12e7b5d8b110?partner_id=yellowhat_91807948

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 30, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Starting to think about a vacation to a GP, but the timings seem iffy. Montreal and Utrecht are great cities but it's limited format on the prerelease and release weekends for the new set. Lyon is standard but is literally the day after Brexit is suppose to happen, which makes me nervous.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah this, sorry it's been... 15 years? Yikes.

no sweat, i can almost see it with damping matrix from, like, Joe FNM, but judges really should know better (especially given how they drilled THIS IS HOW MORPH WORKS into our heads over and over in the month before Khans dropped)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Maybe they meant Linvala? And the judge thought morph was an activated ability?

E: oh damping matrix

Imagine being a judge and not understanding morph

In fairness, the way Morph works is stupid. When Time Spiral was in Standard, so many people got blown out by Willbender changing their Split Second spell targets because the way it works is totally unintuitive

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

In fairness, the way Morph works is stupid. When Time Spiral was in Standard, so many people got blown out by Willbender changing their Split Second spell targets because the way it works is totally unintuitive

It hadn't occurred to me that this wasn't some niche hypothetical. They were in the same set!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

It's a 50/50 blame there, because the way split second works - more accurately, is named - is dumb as hell. So many fights over "split second doesn't use the stack!" when I was judging. A soda was thrown at someone by another player over an Extirpate.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LifeLynx posted:

A soda was thrown at someone by another player over an Extirpate.

Ah yes, the Kurt Hahn school of conflict resolution.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Buying back Punishing fire in response to an Extirpate is a delight and everyone should try it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That never got old.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

No colon? Not activated!

I get general confusion when it's new or maybe they weren't playing back in Onslaught but from a judging perspective it's actually pretty straightforward

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Buying back Punishing fire in response to an Extirpate is a delight and everyone should try it.

That works because it's a mana ability that's triggering the buyback by making your opponent gain life and putting it back into your hand right?

Why does it work with Morph? Is it because the morph ability itself doesn't use the stack, so it's not trying to put it on the stack at all and thus fine to do? Edit: or is morph just not an activated ability?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

No colon? Not activated!

I get general confusion when it's new or maybe they weren't playing back in Onslaught but from a judging perspective it's actually pretty straightforward

Vesuvan Shapeshifter and Decree of Annihilation both have the same number of colons on the card.

Don't be a jackass.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That works because it's a mana ability that's triggering the buyback by making your opponent gain life and putting it back into your hand right?

Why does it work with Morph? Is it because the morph ability itself doesn't use the stack, so it's not trying to put it on the stack at all and thus fine to do? Edit: or is morph just not an activated ability?

Both

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It's not an activated ability. I'm not sure what the term is. Special action? It's something you can do any time you have priority, but it doesn't use the stack. And yeah, you activate grove of the burnwillows, which is a mana ability, the opponent gains life, and punishing fire triggers. Triggered abilities are still allowed to happen with a split-second spell on the stack, so you're all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

^^^
Morph is a static ability, using it is a special action.

Toshimo posted:

Vesuvan Shapeshifter and Decree of Annihilation both have the same number of colons on the card.

Don't be a jackass.

Reminder text for cycling has the colon though

I was trying to be playful, golly!