Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I want more (tier-0) life, fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I REFUSE to buy that Rebel Galaxy game off the epic store!

(I'll wait for it to come out on playstation)

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

A good example is that I just got GTA 5. The game released in 2013, I waited until 2019 to buy it. I got it for 15 bucks, it includes everything, I can play the single-player game and it runs great,

i just played “barbie vacation adventure“ on the sega genesis
works like a charm these days!

:tipshat:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao

One thing I hate about the blizz launcher is there's games in my list I can't remove, like hearthstone and COD.

Not even Origin does that poo poo.

can you create categories or folders?
whenever some software wont let me delete stuff, i create a folder “z trash“ where all bad thing stay till eternity.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bumble He posted:

whenever some software wont let me delete stuff, i create a folder “z trash“ where all bad thing stay till eternity.

battle.net launcher has only few games, so all of them are shown all the time, even those that you don't own - they are just transparent a bit (or lighter or grayed out or something, forgot)

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Some high fidelity FOIP action from BoredScammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Td1r0FKwIw

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Graceful, majestic

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

A good example is that I just got GTA 5. The game released in 2013, I waited until 2019 to buy it. I got it for 15 bucks, it includes everything, I can play the single-player game and it runs great, and I can play the online version in a solo session and just gently caress around casually and not give one flying gently caress about a single thing in their online store.

It's the way to go.

If 6 years seems like a long time to wait for a game may I refer you to a little-known project called Star Citizen.

GTA 5 also has a great launcher, it's a real good feeling loading up Steam to launch a launcher, it completes me

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Who has the best launcher - Star Citizen or SpaceX?

Answer - Battle Cruiser 3000

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 29, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

skeletors_condom posted:

Some high fidelity FOIP action from BoredScammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Td1r0FKwIw

It's a good thing they spent so much time on this feature, it was totally worth the 30 seconds of gaming news it generated before it became mostly used by people like Robbaz making comedy videos because it looks invariably creepy/silly!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

battle.net launcher has only few games, so all of them are shown all the time, even those that you don't own - they are just transparent a bit (or lighter or grayed out or something, forgot)

Nah they're not grayed out any more. But they're not super intrusive, and you can click a little arrow so it only shows you the icons and not the names.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

An excellent thread:

What happened to the damage model we were shown in 2015?

100% authoritative Citizen answers include:

* It is in the game
* It is not in the game but it is coming
* It's in the game but they toned it down because the original was too much work
* It's on the roadmap for Q4
* It is in the game but it only works for some ships
* It is in the game but it only works on some servers
* It is in the game but the damage on weapons is much lower than in the demo
* It's totally in the game and it happened to me yesterday

Whatever the answer is, some things are for certain: It's not Chris Roberts' fault, Citizens are 100% happy with the state that it's in, and they definitely have a good grasp of what is going on with development. If you disagree you are a FUDster troll and you must be downvoted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah they're not grayed out any more. But they're not super intrusive, and you can click a little arrow so it only shows you the icons and not the names.

THATS TOO MUUUUUUUUCH!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kosumo posted:

Who has the best launcher - Star Citizen or SpaceX?

Answer - Battle Cruiser 3000

Press alt + Q + right shift to bring up yer options

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What’s Derek smarts status here these days

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think I'll just play a bit of elite for a while

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 29, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
ED Profiler launches my elite launcher which launches Oculus which launches some Nvidia poo poo, after this firmware update I am up for adventure, brb just charging batteries for touch controllers

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

What’s Derek smarts status here these days

Hard at work on the groundbreaking and hotly anticipated MMOFPS, Line of Defense!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
3.6 has hit comedy video stage on the sub

https://youtu.be/6N45FYO-iRE

quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. I'm sure most of the bugs will be fixed but... alpha 3.6, even though it introduced some awesome stuff, is comically, a very frustrating experience!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Pixelate posted:

3.6 has hit comedy video stage on the sub

https://youtu.be/6N45FYO-iRE

This game is comically bad. I know the faithful think of us as bizarrely fixated nutjobs but really I see it as watching one of the best sitcoms ever to be "made"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

That was a bug that has been fixed, but it won't stop the army of gamers who already got their pitchforks.

Best news I got today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bumble He posted:

No folders because there's only like 6 games. But you can't remove anything.

And what's real fun, you can re-arrange to put things on the bottom at least... except they hard-coded that its BLIZZ TITLES and then ACTIVISION TITLES so you can't choose that an activision game comes earlier or a blizz game comes later. That's completely locked in.

For instance, imagine the only Blizzard-Activision game you own was Destiny 2. Your launcher would still look exactly like this, even if you don't give a flying gently caress about world of warcraft or warcraft 3.

Note that warcraft 3 remake isn't even for sale yet. That's a permanent ad for a pre-order.

Its not the end of the universe or anything, I'm not about to throw a poo poo-fit. But its a pretty rear end launcher compared to even Steam, (and steam has SO many performance issues). I'm really not sure if Epic is worse.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 29, 2019

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

peter gabriel posted:

ED Profiler launches my elite launcher which launches Oculus which launches some Nvidia poo poo, after this firmware update I am up for adventure, brb just charging batteries for touch controllers

My Rift keeps asking me to set it up after setting it up.
That blue bar has now become an "ignore me" bar

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I can't believe I made a joke about being mad at a launcher that is incredibly straightforward and presents your games to you immediately and you dorks are now actually debating whether to be mad at it or not :laffo:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't believe I made a joke about being mad at a launcher that is incredibly straightforward and presents your games to you immediately and you dorks are now actually debating whether to be mad at it or not :laffo:

Best launcher is the one throwing Kayak his toys.

:kayak:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I kind of skipped over the pages but I'd guess it's because basically the whole games industry is poo poo and it's really easy to find anti-consumer practices wherever you look and the only choice is which of them you are going to get mad over

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

I kind of skipped over the pages but I'd guess it's because basically the whole games industry is poo poo and it's really easy to find anti-consumer practices wherever you look and the only choice is which of them you are going to get mad over

All of them, ofc

:carol:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I find BattleNet launcher to be super annoying. Why do they include games that I don't own? And they constantly spam random events and other marketing BS:

It's not like it would cost them a large amount of money to let me hide games that I don't own. That's why I use bnetlauncher.

Mind you, I am not particularly pro-steam or anti-EGS. But the cavalier attitudes of modern digital services companies is really annoying.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 30, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beet Wagon posted:

The most intense debate lol ;)

Comeon Beet, its been an ongoing conversation and now we're discussing that launcher since you brought it up. Its not really a debate.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

skeletors_condom posted:

I find BattleNet launcher to be super annoying. Why do they include games that I don't own? And they constantly spam random events and other marketing BS:

It's not like it would cost them a large amount of money to let me hide games that I don't own. That's why I use bnetlauncher.

Mind you, I am not particularly pro-steam or anti-EGS. But the cavalier attitudes of modern digital services companies is really annoying.

wait the war chest skins are out? poo poo dude thanks

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

I didn't go there to buy those things, but there they are anyway. Like it or not, agree with it or not, but we're here now. It's not going to revert. Companies don't care about you; they care about your money. As long as the economy is driven by the lowest-common-denominator consumer, we're gonna have baited hooks in our faces. Which means forever.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The whataboutisms being thrown around to defend the EGS are a bit strange. The fact that other launchers have problems doesn't mean that you should just ignore it all. It's like Jim Sterling repeatedly shouting into the void about anticonsumer practices. Lots of people might ignore him, I tend to, but shining a light on these things and trying to prevent it becoming the status quo is a good thing.

Yes, the EGS is taking more than it's fair share of abuse for problems that are not unique to it but the abuse of bad launchers is still warranted. Plus, changing one can lead to changes spreading and as the new guy trying to corner a market the EGS is most likely to make some positive concessions. It will even out again soon enough and go back to being a non issue, whilst it is up for discussion though people should point out all the ways these things are lovely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I didn't go there to buy those things, but there they are anyway. Like it or not, agree with it or not, but we're here now. It's not going to revert. Companies don't care about you; they care about your money. As long as the economy is driven by the lowest-common-denominator consumer, we're gonna have baited hooks in our faces. Which means forever.

I did hear MS is redesigning the Xbox UI to be less annoying so its possible to change?

Anybody can change!

ADRIAN!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Redundant posted:

The whataboutisms being thrown around to defend the EGS are a bit strange. The fact that other launchers have problems doesn't mean that you should just ignore it all. It's like Jim Sterling repeatedly shouting into the void about anticonsumer practices. Lots of people might ignore him, I tend to, but shining a light on these things and trying to prevent it becoming the status quo is a good thing.

Yes, the EGS is taking more than it's fair share of abuse for problems that are not unique to it but the abuse of bad launchers is still warranted. Plus, changing one can lead to changes spreading and as the new guy trying to corner a market the EGS is most likely to make some positive concessions. It will even out again soon enough and go back to being a non issue, whilst it is up for discussion though people should point out all the ways these things are lovely.

Pointing it out won't change it. The only thing that will change it is if the company runs a calculation that proves without a doubt that not doing it earns them more money than doing it. If every gamer in the world stops paying for poo poo that uses shady practices, but other people fall for those practices, and those people make the company more money than the gamers did, then that is their new customer base and their original gamer customers can eat poo poo. Talking is worthless. Opinions are worthless. Emotions are worthless. Even lives are worthless once the lifeform's wallet is empty.

I agree it shouldn't be "ignored" per se, but don't mistake paying attention and talking about something for making a difference. It makes none. Money matters to these companies and literally nothing else. When a company says "our customers' opinions are important to us" it's because the metrics showed that statement brought in money. Even when a company moves away from shady practices it's because a calculation showed them they'd earn more money that way.

Edit: in fact let me use this analogy. A company is like a man who is standing in front of two paths. On the left path is a free $10 bill. On the right path is a free $5 bill and another man standing there. Assume only one path can be chosen. If the company's metrics show the likelihood of the other man on the path having more than $5 in his wallet, they will shoot the man, take his wallet, then take the $5 bill.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 30, 2019

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Scruffpuff posted:

Pointing it out won't change it. The only thing that will change it is if the company runs a calculation that proves without a doubt that not doing it earns them more money than doing it. If every gamer in the world stops paying for poo poo that uses shady practices, but other people fall for those practices, and those people make the company more money than the gamers did, then that is their new customer base and their original gamer customers can eat poo poo. Talking is worthless. Opinions are worthless. Emotions are worthless. Even lives are worthless once the lifeform's wallet is empty.

I agree it shouldn't be "ignored" per se, but don't mistake paying attention and talking about something for making a difference. It makes none. Money matters to these companies and literally nothing else. When a company says "our customers' opinions are important to us" it's because the metrics showed that statement brought in money. Even when a company moves away from shady practices it's because a calculation showed them they'd earn more money that way.
Absolutely. Capitalism is ruthless and only cares about the bottom line. Consumer outrage and bad publicity can sometimes threaten the finances enough for action to be taken though. Rarely, but it's still worth striking when the iron is hot and the company is less established.

I have the EGS on my PC because I don't really care that much so I guess I'm kind of part of the problem. Apathy lets people get away with anything.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Redundant posted:

Absolutely. Capitalism is ruthless and only cares about the bottom line. Consumer outrage and bad publicity can sometimes threaten the finances enough for action to be taken though. Rarely, but it's still worth striking when the iron is hot and the company is less established.

I have the EGS on my PC because I don't really care that much so I guess I'm kind of part of the problem. Apathy lets people get away with anything.

Don't get me wrong, just because I think this way doesn't mean I just go right along with it. All I do is try to avoid giving cash to amoral entities. If enough people did it, maybe things would change, but a million dumb dollars will always be more than 100 thousand smart ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not a programmer, but I would guess the huge amount of turnover causes it. It's likely that all that early work is completely worthless because the people who did it and could explain it are long gone, so the new guys have to start from scratch.

It's the Aliens: Colonial Marines problem. Due to the game being passed from developer to developer, somewhere along the way someone misspelled the word "Tether" in a single line of code and broke the entire game's AI systems, but whoever originally coded it was long gone by the time it happened and no one knew how to look for the issue or fix it. And there wasn't time to redo it, so it shipped that way.

Turn over is usually sign of horrid management, toxic work enviroment, unreasonable expectations, and large amounts of rework.

People always greatly underestimate how long it takes to hire a person, get them in the door. Then they drain resources from the rest of the team asking loads of questions finding there feet and then 3-6 months after they have settled in they start actually becoming poductive.

When people are churning every year your only getting like 50% of the hours you paid for and even less when using recruitment agents.

When churn gets high and half the team is now getting brought up to speed by people who just got rear end the seat the comedy steps up. To the point I have seen clients put in multi million dollar work orders for projects that we have already done for them but they don't even know they already have it. And that is for fairly straightforward forward things.