Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

Who the gently caress says the Castlevania DS games are the best Castlevania games?

A lot of people who aren’t you, sorry v:shobon:v

Nobody likes the touchscreen gimmick of DoS but it’s a minor annoyance, not a “game ruiner” for most people (and I’m sure at this point you could find a romhack that removes it) , and by far the most common complaint beyond that for DoS and PoR seem to be “why did they have to ruin the art style with weeb bullshit”. OoE’s got a strong difficulty curve that’s extremely YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Almost everyone considers DS and PoR better and more refined. You're kind of a outlier in this one man.

Order usually has a big * in how difficult is for people though.

PoR's... it's a big "your mileage may vary" case.

You're literally the two first people I've seen even ranking Dawn over Aria, versus literally thousands of people saying Symphony of the Night was best, so that's a thing.

Dawn would have been so much better without the gimmicks too. Such a shame. It was a common refrain at the time too.

Fawf posted:

Out of the many Kirby games on the DS Squeak Squad is the one I'd least recommend, it's braindead easy even by Kirby standards and it mostly reuses GBA assets. Super Star Ultra is arguably the best game in the series, Canvas Curse is beautiful and was one of the first DS games to sell the touch screen as more than a gimmick, and Mass Attack is a fun Pikmin platformer where every stage introduces a new gameplay mechanic.

Yeah but I just like the basic Kirby platforming. If you're not going for 100% it's trivial, which made it pretty perfect for the kind of situations where I couldn't entirely focus on it, so I could complete the level then and go for 100% later.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

A lot of people who aren’t you, sorry v:shobon:v

Nobody likes the touchscreen gimmick of DoS but it’s a minor annoyance, not a “game ruiner” for most people (and I’m sure at this point you could find a romhack that removes it) , and by far the most common complaint beyond that for DoS and PoR seem to be “why did they have to ruin the art style with weeb bullshit”. OoE’s got a strong difficulty curve that’s extremely YMMV.

There indeed is a romhack that removes that crap and it owns.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

There indeed is a romhack that removes that crap and it owns.

Yeah that might make me willing to tolerate it.

As it was released, Dawn felt like someone took the good parts of Aria, then took the bad parts of Aria, added some parts of their own of varying quality, and then shoehorned in touchscreen bullshit for no good reason.

Now that I think of it, my opinion may be colored by mostly hearing the opinions of grognards who already loved Aria and were really particular about controls. Which they should be in a Castlevania game, because a Castlevania game with even moderately dodgy controls is a bad Castlevania game. (Looking at you, CotM's dash boots.)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Was there even any touchscreen stuff other than just drawing the seals at the end of boss fights

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Someone said Chinatown Wars and that is a powerfully good game. Legit one of the best GTA games and a marvel it plays so well on the platform.

Advance Wars dual Strike is also a gem of a game and fun because it can be so broken. Days of Ruin is much tougher but also worth mentioning.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Help Im Alive posted:

Was there even any touchscreen stuff other than just drawing the seals at the end of boss fights

You needed your stylus to remove iceblocks. And your profile name was whatever you scribbled in a rectangular bar.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dawn of Sorrow is so much worse than Aria. I hate it and its awful weapon crafting.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone said Chinatown Wars and that is a powerfully good game. Legit one of the best GTA games and a marvel it plays so well on the platform.

Advance Wars dual Strike is also a gem of a game and fun because it can be so broken. Days of Ruin is much tougher but also worth mentioning.

That’s interesting, I always heard about Chinatown Wars but ignored it because I assumed it was a gimmick and not actually good. I’m gonna have to check that out

Anyway I beat the final part of the SMTIV tutorial and now I have a pretty rad party of demons and some armor and stuff. There’s this pervasive like weird undertone to the whole game with the bizarre demons all vaguely related to real world geographically specific mythology in an ostensibly medieval fantasy world and just like, for lack of a better word, weird ambiance to the whole thing. I’m hoping it only gets more interesting after a man in an electric wheelchair healed my party before a fight with a blood sucking succubus thing . I was sort of hoping for a more traditional RPG when I bought it, being totally unfamiliar with the series, but I’m actually okay with the cheerful demon fusing AI nonsense it has instead

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
A lot of people say Ecclesia is the best of the handheld CV ganes but I just can't get into it like the others. Something about the level design just doesn't grab me the way the others do. You'd think I'd have the same problem with Portrait but I don't for some reason.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Help Im Alive posted:

The seal stuff was bad enough! You had to do it to finish a boss. Reduce a boss' HP to zero and suddenly here's a thing on your screen, better draw a thing and hope you don't gently caress it up! Which was likely, because it completely breaks your rhythm. And if you gently caress up (which I did, many times), it doesn't just let you immediatelly try again, no, the boss regains some health so you gotta beat him some more before his HP is reduced to zero again and you try the dumb seal again. Except often I would die at that point because again, my rhythm was completely thrown off.

It was poo poo.

I still loved Dawn but that mechanic was utter poo poo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Frog Act posted:

That’s interesting, I always heard about Chinatown Wars but ignored it because I assumed it was a gimmick and not actually good. I’m gonna have to check that out

Far from a gimmick. I really sunk a lot of time into it. I don't recall it being super challenging, but it does an interesting job making the gangland Chinatown stick out, and there's plenty of mayhem you can create in its top-down mode. It's really just portable GTA.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I have never played a 3DS and I have been looking at 3DSes, and saw this deal for a New 2DS XL for $109 https://slickdeals.net/f/13260763-nintendo-2ds-xl-system-with-pre-installed-mario-kart-7-game-117-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

or should I get a refurbished New 3DS XL from Nintendo?

Having to buy a charger separately seems weird and I am not sure about the used quality.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

2DS XL only comes with TN panels if you care about poo poo like that. It also doesn't have any 3D at all, but it is a nice unit. A refurb N3DS XL is probably the best bang for your buck unless you can find a used one for cheaper from someone who doesn't just break all their poo poo. Nintendo refers are often times undistinguishable from new units.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You're pretty unlikely to find a new 3DS with IPS displays anyway unless you're willing to hunt for it and/or pay a premium

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I bought a new 2DSXL a few weeks ago and it has been an awesome investment thus far. It was $130 bundled with Mario Kart 7, which seems forgettable, but I’m glad I went with it and not a regular 2DS or the extra for the 3DS, since the 2DSXL can play the snes games and stuff the 2ds can’t

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

This is an amazing game. Designed carefully by WayForward, great music by virt (creator of VGMix), good difficulty range, tons of bonus challenges, etc.

The easy difficulty is easy and gradual enough that I was able to build up skills in run and gun gameplay. I went from writing off the whole genre of contra and megaman as too hard to beating a number of games in those series, all thanks to Contra 4 Easy as training wheels.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Zero games are also available on DS as a full four-game collection.

What 4th game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waltzing Along posted:

What 4th game?

Megaman Zero

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sakurazuka posted:

Megaman Zero

Ah. Thought he meant zero escape.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is so much worse than Aria. I hate it and its awful weapon crafting.

Tbf "so much worse" in this case means it's still a p. top-tier game over all, it's just that AoS is so freaking good, tightly designed and well rounded it's basically without peer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can we talk about how insanely replayable the old NES/SNES Castlevania games are? Every once in a while I pop Castlevania III or IV in to give it a quick 10 minute play and I keep getting surprised at how difficult it is to put the game down and how, more often than not, I just find myself playing the game in full if I'm not in a rush.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wark Say posted:

Can we talk about how insanely replayable the old NES/SNES Castlevania games are? Every once in a while I pop Castlevania III or IV in to give it a quick 10 minute play and I keep getting surprised at how difficult it is to put the game down and how, more often than not, I just find myself playing the game in full if I'm not in a rush.

4 is especially good imo and I only played it pretty recently for the first time. I love how Simon controls in it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

succ posted:

or should I get a refurbished New 3DS XL from Nintendo?
I bought Nintendo refurb for both a New 3DS and a New 3DS XL. Both were indistinguishable from "brand new".

If you think you might want to hack it (at this point just do it, in case it's helpful down the road) the New 3DS XL I bought last week came with a pretty old firmware version that's easy to hack.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I bought Nintendo refurb for both a New 3DS and a New 3DS XL. Both were indistinguishable from "brand new".

If you think you might want to hack it (at this point just do it, in case it's helpful down the road) the New 3DS XL I bought last week came with a pretty old firmware version that's easy to hack.

Yeah, super happy with the refurb nxl I got. Came with a older firmware so I could CFW easily, Top screen was IPS too, for whatever that's worth.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nintendo_cs/status/1156038817536626698

The 3DS Youtube app will end service September 3rd

You can continue to use the Wii U and Switch versions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's a surprising lack of final fantasy titles for the console. Although, to an extent bravely default probably fills that void.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

There's a surprising lack of final fantasy titles for the console. Although, to an extent bravely default probably fills that void.
I think all three of the SNES Final Fantasy games came out for the Virtual console in Japan through the N3DS, if I don't recall incorrectly. Though I'm guessing that barely counts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

FF 4/5/6 got GBA remakes that are technically playable on the 3DS with tweaks, and 1/3/4 got DS remakes plus a 12 side game (and FFTA/FFTA2)

I think the FF team just dumped all their chickens into the current gen console basket after a certain point

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FF 4/5/6 got GBA remakes that are technically playable on the 3DS with tweaks, and 1/3/4 got DS remakes plus a 12 side game (and FFTA/FFTA2)

I think the FF team just dumped all their chickens into the current gen console basket after a certain point
1&2 got GBA remakes (on the same cart, as Dawn of Souls), and 1 got a PSP remake, but I don't recall a DS remake.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keene posted:

1&2 got GBA remakes (on the same cart, as Dawn of Souls), and 1 got a PSP remake, but I don't recall a DS remake.

I could have sworn someone told me 4 Heros of Light was a 1 remake but I may have been hallucinating

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

3DS got a remake of FF1 but it was Japanese only.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I could have sworn someone told me 4 Heros of Light was a 1 remake but I may have been hallucinating
It might have started out development that way, but from the little bit of it I've seen in an LP, it doesn't look like that's what the game is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
4 Heroes of Light is a throwback of sorts but it's not a remake of anything, nor does it even play much like NES-era FF.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Yeah. Square's output on 3DS was surprisingly weak compared to Atlus, even if Atlus's 3DS library was half DS remakes.

I was really hoping they'd do a FF6 remake on 3DS in the vein of FF3 and 4's 3D remakes but prettier. But Square decided to focus on the tire fire that is mobile and

:barf:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. Square's output on 3DS was surprisingly weak compared to Atlus, even if Atlus's 3DS library was half DS remakes.
I wonder how much of that was Square overprinting certain DS titles they thought would sell better than they did, that ended up sitting at $20 for years. Namely Chrono Trigger (surprisingly?) and Bravely Second. I'm not sure if that was a problem in Japan too or not.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, it's kinda weird that you can get certain DS titles on Square's store right now, brand new, like the Crystal Chronicles ones. Bravely Second getting cheap real fast baffled me too.
Chrono Trigger's second hand price is just now starting to go up. I usually see loose copies going for around $30 now, with complete boxed around $40 to $50.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Enix/DQ aside,I think Square was one of those companies that went relatively heavy on 3DS during the early days, took a bath on a few games (Kingdom Hearts 3D, that bad American lootgame I forget the name of) and never really came back with the same dedication.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, they did have to be convinced kicking and screaming to localize DQ7 and 8 stateside. By the grace of NoA picking up publishing duties like most every DQ game.

I really wish we got those DQ Monsters remakes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, they did have to be convinced kicking and screaming to localize DQ7 and 8 stateside. By the grace of NoA picking up publishing duties like most every DQ game.

I really wish we got those DQ Monsters remakes here.

They have translation patches and are really good if you use the 3DS emulator or have homebrew set up on your system