Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I also got the bee lives game :) I haven't gotten to try it out yet but I'm really satisfied with the components and I look forward to learning it for a game night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe it's a defense card to use when someone plays the sack tap card. Haha, jokes on you, I'm harder than a diamond in an ice storm!

Gotta hope, since the apparent alternative for "Smack on the Rock Hard Dong" is the unfortunate practice of putting meth on the end of a dick before starting some anal up. Sometimes called booty bumping, which is also a term for just shooting up without a needle through the butt.

Anyhow, enough about anal bioavailability, anyone else get Trogdor? We've played it a few times and it's good stuff.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

theironjef posted:

Anyhow, enough about anal bioavailability, anyone else get Trogdor? We've played it a few times and it's good stuff.

Yeah, I've had a blast with it so far. Only used the default setup, but I'm looking forward to trying some of the other board layouts.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Great Sword RPG Kickstarter has been put back up :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/greatsword/great-sword-tabletop-rpg

The creator originally cancelled it since he was unsatisfied with a few things and wanted to rethink marketing strategies. I hope he is happier with this version. It looks like an interesting game and I like the variety in classes and races and the fact that it is all done by 1 person, art and writing, is pretty impressive.

The main book is already done, the kickstarter itself is to fund a physical version of the core rulebook as well as the creation of side books like the bestiary and quest compendium.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Funzo posted:

I got mine in too, I forgot to post about it. My oldest really likes bees so I’m looking forward to getting it on the table.

Same, but it's my youngest. We are both excited!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

The creator originally cancelled it since he was unsatisfied with a few things and wanted to rethink marketing strategies. I hope he is happier with this version. It looks like an interesting game and I like the variety in classes and races and the fact that it is all done by 1 person, art and writing, is pretty impressive.

The main book is already done, the kickstarter itself is to fund a physical version of the core rulebook as well as the creation of side books like the bestiary and quest compendium.
Looks kinda neat! I am a bit worried about the grammar on display, but I am intrigued enough for PDFs.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Looks kinda neat! I am a bit worried about the grammar on display, but I am intrigued enough for PDFs.

Static damage is good. No single "wizard" class is good. The tactics seem to come from "how do I spend my stamina this round?" which...ok. I think standard/move/minor is easier in practice, but this would be more flexible. I can't tell whether there is any tactical/forced movement, though, which is a must-have for me if I'm going to be spending that much time in combat with die-rolling for every attack (and maybe parry/dodge).

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Add me to the list of people who got Bee Lives and is excited to play it! Whenever I tell friends about it, their reactions start with confusion, then progress into curiosity and excitement as I describe what the game's about. I love that feeling of having something special and different to share with the group.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm tentatively in on the core rules. It seems like an interesting enough D&D alternative, and for 10 bucks I'm willing to find out if it's good

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Figured I would post this here since Bee Lives has been arriving for some of you. Anyone interested in learning the game or just checking it out, Heavy Cardboard is doing a stream with a full playthrough, teach, and discussion this Friday, August 2 at 1900 EDT. A little more info in the below youtube video on it and their general Gen Con coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsigjHbfJMs

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 29, 2019

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

Figured I would post this hear since Bee Lives has been arriving for some of you. Anyone interested in learning the game or just checking it out, Heavy Cardboard is doing a stream with a full playthrough, teach, and discussion this Friday, August 2 at 1900 EDT. A little more info in the below youtube video on it and their general Gen Con coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsigjHbfJMs

Thanks for sharing this! Have fun at GenCon, sell all your copies!
I got my copy late last week, and the only problem I have with it is that it arrived a few days too late for our monthly goon game night (not your fault, obviously). The contents are adorable, especially the "hidden" artwork on the backs of the cardboard play mats. :3:

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I got my loving bees, bee man.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also got my bee games. A copy for myself and a copy for my son's mother, who has bees. Component quality is extremely nice. Very impressed. Can't wait to get it on the table.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Once again, SomethingAwful has delivered bees.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh neat an Unbroken update

UK – Another area where we were told that it is only the matter of finding a freight boat. It now turns out that the agreement there requires additional review before proceeding which is likely to increase the cost due to this review, so Marc from Golden Bell is working on settling all outstanding issues as quickly as possible to allow us to get these moving. Golden Bell will be having an in-person meeting at GenCon with Spiral to discuss this arrangement to see if they can finalize this process to get you your games.

E: We want to make sure we ask for a reasonable amount, so we’d like to collect data on what people would be comfortable with. Please answer this poll:

What is the amount you would be comfortable paying in extra shipping to ensure Unbroken copies start moving?

don't worry though they've restocked the US for retail and hopefully they'll be using the profit to ship games to backers, maybe, probably without breaking laws or incurring customs charges, and hey look preview of expansion content! which is probably eternally owned by GB, much like the designer's soul and firstborn through thirdborn at this point

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 30, 2019

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
You know, I don't even mind losing out when a Kickstarter collapses -- that's just how KS goes sometimes, and it's lot like I begrudge whatever money I threw at it -- but this constant clawing for money from people is a real bad look.

Like, just... admit you hosed up, close the doors, move on. Maybe salvage a bit of your reputation.

Although I suppose also I wouldn't have known how terrible Golden Bell were without a front-row seat for this mess, so.

masam
May 27, 2010
So how much money do i need to give to the guys I know who are headed to gencon to get this adorable looking game about the best of creatures. Bees i mean bees.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

On the bright side Golden Bell fulfill mostly turd level games. Not sure how they got Unbroken really.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Oh neat an Unbroken update

UK – Another area where we were told that it is only the matter of finding a freight boat. It now turns out that the agreement there requires additional review before proceeding which is likely to increase the cost due to this review, so Marc from Golden Bell is working on settling all outstanding issues as quickly as possible to allow us to get these moving. Golden Bell will be having an in-person meeting at GenCon with Spiral to discuss this arrangement to see if they can finalize this process to get you your games.

E: We want to make sure we ask for a reasonable amount, so we’d like to collect data on what people would be comfortable with. Please answer this poll:

What is the amount you would be comfortable paying in extra shipping to ensure Unbroken copies start moving?

don't worry though they've restocked the US for retail and hopefully they'll be using the profit to ship games to backers, maybe, probably without breaking laws or incurring customs charges, and hey look preview of expansion content! which is probably eternally owned by GB, much like the designer's soul and firstborn through thirdborn at this point

They're also preparing a final solution for Europe. Bad choice of phrase, really.

The update was basically 'we dont have money to ship to ROW, next month we will think more about it, the following month we will ask for more money, and then maybe eventually you will get your games'.

That bit about 'if you got an extra game, please return it to us at Gencon' is hilarious. Anything one receives in the mail is theirs, you can't force anyone to return anything. I love that even some people that just ordered the PNP still got games shipped to them. GBS is such a mess of a company.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

masam posted:

So how much money do i need to give to the guys I know who are headed to gencon to get this adorable looking game about the best of creatures. Bees i mean bees.

$65

Here is the online shop, but if someone can get it for you from Gen Con that would be much better since shipping sucks.

https://hitemwithashoe.com/shop/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This just makes me sad

Hanging Kittens! The Party Game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/just99/hanging-kittens-the-party-game

quote:

About
Four lovely grannies get their kittens wet while they were watering the garden, and decided to hung them up to dry... :)

HANGING KITTENS is a funny party game for 2, 3 of 4 players in which you have to challenge your friends, building a stable structure with wooden handcrafted game's materials in order to hang kitten's miniatures up. But you must be very careful and focused, because your errors and mistakes means victory points for other players!!!

Also their allegedly handcrafted miniatures are stolen from Chi's Sweet Home.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They can still be handcrafted with stolen designs. :eng99:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
There's an upcoming October Kickstarter for some big fantasy game with unlocks like Gloomhaven but I can't remember the name. I signed up for the newsletter but can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

edit: it's Oathsworn Into the Deepwood

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 31, 2019

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Reign 2nd edition progress drafts of the two books just dropped last night. They're looking pretty sweet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On a more cheery note, BGGTV apparently did a segment on Bee Lives about half an hour ago. I say "apparently" because I fell asleep, but it is on the schedule and it's right between Capstone with their two big hits and Blue Orange's poo poo games with gorgeous components.

E: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/461007779

Begins just before 38:00, or 36:00 if you want to watch the setup and have a good laugh.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 1, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The kickstarter for Sleeping Gods by Red Raven went live 40 minutes ago and already funded. I'm pretty sure I'll get this game, and will probably back it instead of waiting for retail, but I'm waiting for some updates (particularly regarding what's in the expansion) before I pledge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/sleeping-gods/description

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

KingKapalone posted:

There's an upcoming October Kickstarter for some big fantasy game with unlocks like Gloomhaven but I can't remember the name. I signed up for the newsletter but can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

edit: it's Oathsworn Into the Deepwood

A friend of mine got a demo at Gencon and he was on the fence about it. It apparently has nice minis and the gameplay is ok, but it's supposed to be a fairly linear campaign with replay only having the chance to switch up boss order before arriving at the same final boss? He wasn't enthused about what he saw as limited replay value.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Pyrolocutus posted:

A friend of mine got a demo at Gencon and he was on the fence about it. It apparently has nice minis and the gameplay is ok, but it's supposed to be a fairly linear campaign with replay only having the chance to switch up boss order before arriving at the same final boss? He wasn't enthused about what he saw as limited replay value.

Interesting. I guess I've actually thought about these campaign games as a one time playthrough. We've finished the main Gloomhaven campaign and started the expansion. We certainly wouldn't play any scenarios over again.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A kickstarter's just started for a card-based 2nd Edition of Fiasco, which apparently uses the same mechanics but is designed to be more streamlined to play.

And there's a Kickstarter for the third wave of Colony 87, a cool range of sci-fi civilians that would be great for a bunch of games.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017
Those Colony 87 minis look straight out of a Möbius comic. Some of them could be used equally well as fantasy civilians. Excellent little figures.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

A kickstarter's just started for a card-based 2nd Edition of Fiasco, which apparently uses the same mechanics but is designed to be more streamlined to play.

The rules are essentially the same but the cards seem much, much easier than screwing around with handing each other dice. Since you have to pick initial setup elements from the cards in your hand, you're more limited for individual choices, but I suspect that won't hurt the game at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I found this kickstarter for a line of miniatures that are just Egyptian-themed high fantasy stuff and, well
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ttcombatundead/desert-of-the-dead-fantasy-wargaming-miniatures

I don't care what anybody says about any of those other miniatures shown on their page and in the pics above, but these dudes here?

These own.

Also, I didn't know what rumbleslam was so I looked it up and it is some miniatures wrestling game (no clue how well that works out) and it took me longer than it should have to realize that in this group of minis

the scorpion is just The Rock from The Mummy Returns.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Rumbleslam seems fine, thoroughly dependent on how much of a buy in there was in your neighbourhood.

I definitely want some Cactus Men.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

These own.

Also, I didn't know what rumbleslam was so I looked it up and it is some miniatures wrestling game (no clue how well that works out)

I refuse to join any wrestling league where I have to wrestle a cactus. Especially when the cactus wrestles back.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Great Sword RPG got cancelled

The guy who made it isn't doing too well. I feel bad, I wish he had had more luck with it given the amount of work he put into that game.

:smith:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I feel bad for him if that is how he really feels, especially since his interpretation may just not be accurate. D&D was originally on top because it was the first, and then due to having large amounts of capital and aggressive business tactics to keep it there. It resorted for similar reasons. Unfortunately in gaming, like many product lines, notoriety and wealth begets notoriety and wealth. You either need those two things or a massive and rare piece of luck to jump to the top early on.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
The term "fantasy heartbreaker" exists for a reason. It just sucks he had to find out firsthand.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it sucks that this had such a negtive impact on his life, but based on everything I can find the guy spent six years of his life remaking D&D. And even if that's not what it is, there's no easily-available content to really tell me what the game's about. There's a "preview" on DriveThru, but it's $10 and it seems to be the whole game, and the guy's website seems to be gone.

What's even sadder is that this is the second time he's tried to kickstart this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

but based on everything I can find the guy spent six years of his life remaking D&D.

Is it? Maybe it's because the stuff I know about d&d basically involves 4e and a tiny bit of 3.5e but his work didn't come across as remaking d&d, intentionally or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it? Maybe it's because the stuff I know about d&d basically involves 4e and a tiny bit of 3.5e but his work didn't come across as remaking d&d, intentionally or otherwise.

Again: as far as I can tell, because this guy has like no information about this game anywhere. The game doesn't seem to be about anything, it's just classes and races and maybe grid-based combat? I mean, look at his selling points: there's an equipment chapter! A "massive" world history nobody's going to read! Rules for the game master!

I did some googling to see if there was something else, but all I could find was his reddit posts, which boiled down to "Hey, check out my RPG!" with no details. Then when people asked him for details, he just said "you can get the preview for $10" instead of just telling people what was unique about his setting, or how characters work.

At the end of the day, he made another d20-based high fantasy RPG in a hobby littered with the corpses of thousands of d20-based high fantasy RPGs.