Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No. If anything, edit in more reaction shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
If he does come back hopefully they dont de-age him and just say that he prefers for his hologram to appear as if aging for personal reasons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Robert Picardo was already a fairly old dude, so I don;t think they really have to do or say anything. The only major difference in how he looks now is less hair, and that's easily solvable.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

isn't it just a little crazy how voyager had a sapient AI hologram, and that's never really brought up.

like he wasn't even meant to be turned on for long, he was just the equivalent of an automated triage droid, but for some reason he was programmed well enough to have his own thoughts, emotions, fears, desires, evolving thought.

tng also had a sapient AI created by their own gosh darn computer. they just stuck him in a box and tossed him away like thats not an incredible evolution and something to be celebrated and researched and become a major part of the show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

isn't it just a little crazy how voyager had a sapient AI hologram, and that's never really brought up.

like he wasn't even meant to be turned on for long, he was just the equivalent of an automated triage droid, but for some reason he was programmed well enough to have his own thoughts, emotions, fears, desires, evolving thought.

tng also had a sapient AI created by their own gosh darn computer. they just stuck him in a box and tossed him away like thats not an incredible evolution and something to be celebrated and researched and become a major part of the show.

Amazing thing happens in one episode and then is not celebrated or researched and does not become a major part of the show IS Star Trek, though.

In general, we are led to believe that these things are indeed being researched by Top Men Sapients at the federation just not the dozens out of trillions that we see regularly on the show because they have other poo poo to do.

lol about Moriarty still just chilling in the C: drive four seasons later, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

piratepilates posted:

I assume that all of the Federation's humanoid holograms were built on top of the same underlying human simulation framework and that framework had all of that built in and way too much growth potential.

Maybe that was what the Binars developed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

Robert Picardo was already a fairly old dude, so I don;t think they really have to do or say anything. The only major difference in how he looks now is less hair, and that's easily solvable.

Picard: Did you have more hair the last time I saw you, doctor?

Doctor: That's a bold question coming from you, Captain.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Amazing thing happens in one episode and then is not celebrated or researched and does not become a major part of the show IS Star Trek, though.

In general, we are led to believe that these things are indeed being researched by Top Men Sapients at the federation just not the dozens out of trillions that we see regularly on the show because they have other poo poo to do.

lol about Moriarty still just chilling in the C: drive four seasons later, though.

Well if other Federation ships run into a fraction of the weird poo poo that the Enterprise does then the top men probably have quite a backlog of stuff to research.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The EMH and all the holodeck creations are just instances running off the ship's computer, from which we can intuit that every Fed starship is a sapient entity.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Then they both laugh heartily.

"Picard!" says Picard, raising his hands.

"O!" says the Doctor, completing the Eiffel tower with his own hands.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, Tuvix is such a good episode. The actor did such a good job. He really sold the mix of warmth and intelligence. He's using Neelix's obnoxious ebullience in a much more logical understanding way. You can really see how both characters gain a lot from the merge, and it's incredible to see it so well performed.

It really comes out in his final defense of his existence to Janeway. He's defending the idea that he's a person with rights, but he's being logical and empathetic as he pleads with Janeway, right up until the end. His delivery of "I have the right to live!" was amazing. Just for a moment he's furious that he's in this situation. That's the one of only moments his anger comes out.

People joke about Janeway being cruel and crazy, but honestly I didn't get any of that before this episode. She had a strong sense of principle before this, and even when she was failing to be pragmatic in a frustrating way, I respected why she was adhering to those ideals. Even the Prime Directive episodes weren't that bad. But here for the first time I have trouble respecting her decision. But to the actor's credit, she very clearly portrays a captain not comfortable with what she felt she had to do.

The best moment belonged to the Doctor. Tuvix had broken down pleading with all his friends on the bridge not to be killed and they all remained silent. But when they got to sickbay, the Doctor clearly stated that he would do no harm and have no part in this. He was the only one who spoke up against Janeway in Tuvix's defense.

Jesus, what a tragic story.

I wish Neelix or Tuvok had a line at the end though, acknowledging that they remembered pleading for their life moments ago. Neelix seems happy for Kes, but it's unclear what they think about Tuvix, someone they should know as well as Tuvix knew them.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

funkymonks posted:

If he does come back hopefully they dont de-age him and just say that he prefers for his hologram to appear as if aging for personal reasons.

He could just be playing human Dr. Zimmerman, creator of the EMH

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

He could just be playing human Dr. Zimmerman, creator of the EMH

that dudes a huge jerkwad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a shame it wasn't a DS9 episode. Give me a Sisquark, or a Jadodo. Keirak, Kishir, Eddingmorn...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well you got Kurzodo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bashir + Garak = Barak

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Bashir + Garak = Barak

Nothing but respect for MY president

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Bashir + Garak = Barak

The onanism would be outRAGEous

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Omg yes! I don't care what they have to contrive to even make Picard ask this. Make it SO.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

The worst part is that, despite most of the plot including the resolution revolving around Decker and Illa, the film still makes no effort to explain who the hell they are and why we should care. I mean, I'm sure Roddenbury had a very clear idea why it was important that Illa had an oath of celibacy, but in the film itself it's a total non sequitur.

Oh yeah there was tons of hosed up Roddenberry backstory that got left in the first few drafts, as was the usual whenever he was involved. Illa is from the Sex Planet and her super power is being unstoppably sexy. "Have you ever sexed with a human before?" was a cut Kirk line.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Those bastards, they actually did it

https://www.startrek.com/news/picard-wine-bordeaux-sirah

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I kind of figure it'll be "The" Doctor for fanservice reasons, but theoretically there's still an EMH on every Starfleet ship, right? It would be an especially easy cameo to write.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hell yeah. If it didn't turn my budget into a Dril tweet I would totally get one of these

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Minidust posted:

theoretically there's still an EMH on every Starfleet ship, right?

On every ship?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jesus, is that Andy Dick? Who did he have to sexually harass to land that part?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
He's friends with Brannon Braga, and just up and asked him for a part.

He's a RL trainwreck and terrible person, but he's quite good in that episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Astroman posted:

Sure he did, it was because :quagmire:

Wouldn't that make giggitying harder

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MorgaineDax posted:

He's friends with Brannon Braga, and just up and asked him for a part.

He's a RL trainwreck and terrible person, but he's quite good in that episode.

Yeahhh I skip Code of Honour and Profit and Lace so if I ever watch Voyager I'm probably gonna skip The One Guest-Starring The Shittiest Celebrity In The World

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeahhh I skip Code of Honour and Profit and Lace so if I ever watch Voyager I'm probably gonna skip The One Guest-Starring The Shittiest Celebrity In The World

It's actually a fun episode.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That episode is one of those things that is kind of ruined by real life knowledge for me, I used to really enjoy it but now all I can think is the EMH mark II got phil hartman killed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

a fun episode

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Bashir + Garak = Barak

Kira + Spock could only be played by William Shatner hamming it up.

:byodood: I AM KIROCK!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Message in a Bottle is a top tier Voyager episode

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Just lol if you don't think the de-aging we saw in the Picard trailer was a massive improvement to this.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's actually a fun episode.

Yeah, if you forget everything you know about Andy Dick he's pretty well cast for the part and he and Picardo play well off one another.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just lol if you don't think the de-aging we saw in the Picard trailer was a massive improvement to this.

Depends on how they play it, I guess, the picture I posted would go best with "Data's programming allows him to age like an actual human being" vs. the uncanny valley mess from the trailer, but as you mentioned #1 it looks better in a still and #2 trailer VFX often differ from final product so we'll see I guess!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, if you forget everything you know about Andy Dick he's pretty well cast for the part and he and Picardo play well off one another.

If it were anyone else I probably could but man, that dude has a lot of shittiness to his name.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
To be fair Andy Dick seems to have gone off the rails at some point after Voyager. In the mid to late 90s he was a totally normal sketch and sitcom actor. He’s good in News Radio.

All of his insane drug and sexual assault poo poo started after News Radio ended and it’s been all maniac from there.

He’s like Roseanne in that sense that you can pretty definitively point to a specific year and draw a separating line between “normal actor” and “absolute piece of poo poo maniac”

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 30, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blast Fantasto posted:

To be fair Andy Dick seems to have gone off the rails at some point after Voyager. In the mid to late 90s he was a totally normal sketch and sitcom actor. He’s good in News Radio.

All of his insane drug and sexual assault poo poo started after News Radio ended and it’s been all maniac from there.

He’s like Roseanne in that sense that you can pretty definitively point to a specific year and draw a separating line between “normal actor” and “absolute piece of poo poo maniac”

He literally got Phil Hartman's wife back on cocaine in the middle of NewsRadio's run.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Also that time the Enterprise literally came to life and had a kid.

I doubt it will happen, but the blurring of lines around what "life" is with no easy distinction between that which evolved versus that which developed is the type of thing I'd love to see Discovery be thrown into in the far future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

He literally got Phil Hartman's wife back on cocaine in the middle of NewsRadio's run.

I'm extremely glad that Jon Lovitz ended up smashing his head into a bar over this