Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

InterrupterJones posted:

I know some of you hate Saffron Olive and his content; but in case anyone was wondering if Colossus Hammer was easy to break in Modern, apparently it is.

It looks like a really fun deck. Full disclosure I don't watch the videos, the writeups are good but the videos are terrible.

I really liked the battle screech and mono white token decks he put together. Shame there's not much modern here to test them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh it’ll be terrible for the judge program, but you won’t have a shortage of “judges”.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
But doesnt the judge program also require participation in a class or something?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cynic Jester posted:

The percentage of those that want to judge and would make good judges is minuscule. I can't wait to read about all the rule hot takes that this will lead to. Expecting a for profit company whose only source of income is reselling foils on behalf of WotC to maintain even a slight standard of knowledge and behavior is adorably naive.

I'm going to laugh when a bunch of competing "Judge Organizations" spring up and WotC feels obligated to cut them in on the same deal as JA to "buy" Judge Foils at a steep discount under street value.

If you're going to pretend JA is an arms-length company it looks bad if you give them and only them a sweetheart deal, when other companies are coming to you offering something similar.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Entropic posted:

Oh it’ll be terrible for the judge program, but you won’t have a shortage of “judges”.

In retrospect it wasn't as much a reply to you as it was a response to all the idiots on Reddit insisting this'll be good for both judges and organized play. It might happen but if it does, it'll be because bossman decided it should happen and my faith in wizard poker adjacent execs is pretty low.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

I know some of you hate Saffron Olive and his content; but in case anyone was wondering if Colossus Hammer was easy to break in Modern, apparently it is.

his stuff is fun but he played in the single-match queue which is notoriously soft, so take the results with a grain of salt

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

No Wave posted:

But doesnt the judge program also require participation in a class or something?

All the new company has stated for level 1 judges is they need to take some additional soft skills "modules", a term which is usually used for online courses with dubious educational value on their own.

Edit: "When possible, we will require prospective L1s to have spent time shadowing and then running an event with an L2 or higher. "

Don't see this happening often, but I could be wrong.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 30, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

really hope the judges end up not getting taken for a ride by wotc but I bet a significant percentage will, sadly.

Anyway,

Promo that premiers in Magicfest Vegas for EDH side events or something

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cynic Jester posted:

All the new company has stated for level 1 judges is they need to take some additional soft skills "modules", a term which is usually used for online courses with dubious educational value on their own.

Edit: "When possible, we will require prospective L1s to have spent time shadowing and then running an event with an L2 or higher. "

Don't see this happening often, but I could be wrong.

Promoting an L1 to L2 increases revenue by $100

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm so many wild cards from making my boros control bag of holding deck, and it feels bad.

I assume based on my previous spurious wildcard expenditures that this will be the best deck in standard 1 year from now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Devor posted:

Promoting an L1 to L2 increases revenue by $100

L2 still train L1 in their model too. So you put a fee to train other people for a private company.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe L2s should get a cut of the revenue of those they trained.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Elyv posted:

really hope the judges end up not getting taken for a ride by wotc but I bet a significant percentage will, sadly.

Anyway,

That's some sweet art.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I have a feeling that having non-lovely judges is about to become REALLY IMPORTANT for the average FNM player. I hope alternative judge certification pops up, with more of an emphasis on knowing the rules and less on collecting foils.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The L1 package as we know it right now, seems like basically a route to resell judge foils to the general public. Tim is a genius.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

Anyway,

I want this

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Jeoh posted:

Maybe L2s should get a cut of the revenue of those they trained.

Yeah I'm honestly surprised they didn't just turn it into a pyramid scheme

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

WarEternal posted:

That's some sweet art.

its kinda boring imo, maybe the foiling will look cool

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

Anyway,

Calling bullshit on the flavor text, what costs 2 that can do any of those?

Warping Wail? if you stretch it?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Calling bullshit on the flavor text, what costs 2 that can do any of those?

Warping Wail? if you stretch it?

uhhh

Lin Sivvi activation, Thornbite Staff activation, Gemstone Array activation

that's all I got

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Wurzag posted:

Yeah I'm honestly surprised they didn't just turn it into a pyramid scheme

You know what's better than a pyramid scheme where the lower levels get a cut? A pyramid scheme where the lower levels don't get a cut.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Elyv posted:

Anyway,

Are those the same runes on Karn's chest along the bottom middle edge?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So they're doing a judge q&a on Reddit at the moment and it's NOT GOING WELL

quote:

Non-profit and for-profit entities can get along just fine. And non-profit entities can operate internationally. I know this from direct personal experience with them. So why are the "WotC can't work with a non-profit" and "can't work internationally" justifications circulating? It was absolutely possible for this to be a non-profit.
---

This was something we grappled with for a long time. Our first impulse was in fact to organize as a Non-Profit.

We found in our discussions with publishers that in order to get support we needed to have a For-Profit structure. One of Many issues raised was that the publishers have corporate giving guidelines that limit which non-profits they can support and under what conditions. Not only that, but the guidelines were different from company to company and in order to ensure the long term success of Judge Academy we choose not to move forward as a non-profit.

We also felt it was import not to compete with organizations like the Red Cross for the charitable support being given by these companies.

We are a group of people that are driven by conscience and ultimately we want to do what is best for everyone. Just because there is money coming in does not mean that it is our primary motivation.

quote:

To what extent will "Judge Academy" provide meaningful transparency in its deliberations, operations, and use of funds?
---
We will be operating as a business and will do our absolute best to serve the needs of the Judge community, the larger Magic community, and the communities of future games that we will support (including esports).

We are going to follow all laws in every area we operate in, but it is not reasonable to expect 100% transparency in operations and use of funds.

That said, we will always address concerns and there will be plenty of opportunities for people to see where some of the money is going. Here are some examples:

- Creating and maintaining a new technology platform to support the Judge Program (more details around this will come as responses to other questions in this AMA)

- Paying Full Time Administrative Staff to develop the program

- Paying Community Mangers and Advisors

- Paying for Content Creation and Projects managed by Judge Academy

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

ilmucche posted:

It looks like a really fun deck. Full disclosure I don't watch the videos, the writeups are good but the videos are terrible.

I really liked the battle screech and mono white token decks he put together. Shame there's not much modern here to test them.

little munchkin posted:

his stuff is fun but he played in the single-match queue which is notoriously soft, so take the results with a grain of salt

That's the problem. He didn't play against only fringe decks in that video, but I'm sure he'd struggle a bit more against things like Jund or UW Control. Still, this at least looks like a fun and probably pretty viable budget Modern deck for FNM, that could maybe put up better results with some refinement and more playtesting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah. Tim is setting the expectation early that he isn't going to transparent with the money. There is only one reason not to and that reason is obvious.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Skyl3lazer posted:

The non-profit answer was the :laffo:est of all of them. :supaburn: PEOPLE MIGHT GIVE TO JUDGE ACADEMY INSTEAD OF THE RED CROSS IF IT'S NON-PROFIT :supaburn:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The judge stuff seems like it’s going to go sideways fast

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

The non-profit answer was the :laffo:est of all of them. :supaburn: PEOPLE MIGHT GIVE TO JUDGE ACADEMY INSTEAD OF THE RED CROSS IF IT'S NON-PROFIT :supaburn:

Tim... gonna just blow your mind here... but there are a lot of non-profits that aren't charities.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Unrelated to judges: 5c bring to light niv with wren and six owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

admanb posted:

Tim... gonna just blow your mind here... but there are a lot of non-profits that aren't charities.

Judge Academy: already more corrupt than FIFA

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Judge Academy - worse for members than MLMs

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Magic: the Gathering: We felt it was import not to compete with organizations like the Red Cross

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Folks, I think I see why Wizards and Hasbro signed off on this.

It's run by a complete imbecile and Wizards can completely wash their hands of it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

admanb posted:

such as, for example, the NFL, up until they dropped that status because they were mad that people kept reading their financial statements

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Actually, do we know who owns the Jacestice Academy?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Magic: the Gathering: We felt it was import not to compete with organizations like the Red Cross

New thread title please

jk mods never read this thread

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't think anything has been published about the business structure of Jace's Tease Academy, other than that Tim Shields has a fat finger in the pie.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Honestly the answers were so bad I started to feel a little bad for them, like watching someone's hopes and dreams get shattered in a reddit QnA

Then I remember they were hopes and dreams of grifting and it'll probably end up working on a staggering number of judges anyway and suddenly I don't feel bad for them at all

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
So a privately owned company ran by WotC sockpuppets that adds literally nothing of value beyond foils provided by WotC? Yeah, that's not suspect at all. Totally not a WotC shell company.

Edit:

Jace's lust Academy posted:

The primary things that we offer are Training and Certification. We will do this through a combination of an online LMS (Learning Management System) and live conferences.

Our expectation is to dramatically increase the quality of training materials that members have access to.

As a member moves up in the program, the access they have to coursework and training will increase to be relevant to their certification level. Those trainings will require more resources to develop and maintain. That is what necessitates additional membership fees for higher level Judges.

Can't make this poo poo up

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jeoh posted:

I don't think anything has been published about the business structure of Jace's Tease Academy, other than that Tim Shields has a fat finger in the pie.

Don't forget that Tim Shields owns both this and Cascade Games, but oh, it's okay, there's no conflict of interest.

quote:

This is a great question and more than fair to ask.

We have mentioned that Judge Academy does not operate as an employment agency. Each member engages with event organizers how they choose, including with Cascade Games.

:downs: