Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Europeans blaming their evil and incompetence on America is always fun to watch.

Obviously they wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing they've been doing for 700 years if it wasn't for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
*endless march of conservative and neo-liberal prime ministers walks past since 1980*
*half of country votes to blow economy's brains out partly out of empire nostalgia*

Bloody hell, must be the Yanks what keep getting us into these messes innit.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

:hmmyes:

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Europeans blaming their evil and incompetence on America is always fun to watch.

Obviously they wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing they've been doing for 700 years if it wasn't for Trump.

Grape posted:

*endless march of conservative and neo-liberal prime ministers walks past since 1980*
*half of country votes to blow economy's brains out partly out of empire nostalgia*

Bloody hell, must be the Yanks what keep getting us into these messes innit.

It's remarkably easy to win discussions by blankly ignoring anything anyone says to you, isn't it?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Often Abbreviated posted:

It's remarkably easy to win discussions by blankly ignoring anything anyone says to you, isn't it?

You keep talking about capability as if that's the discussion and not culpability.
Ironicat and so forth.

Grape fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 29, 2019

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
It's rather difficult to be culpable for something you're not capable of. If you're only interested in this so that you can blame someone other than the U.S for once then go back to not caring, go crazy. But it's fair for me to tell you you haven't got the faintest idea what's actually happening, where the real culpability lies, or why.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

It's rather difficult to be culpable for something you're not capable of. If you're only interested in this so that you can blame someone other than the U.S for once then go back to not caring, go crazy. But it's fair for me to tell you you haven't got the faintest idea what's actually happening, where the real culpability lies, or why.

The culpability lies with both our leaders, and both our conservative populations in particular have nice big appetites for military action, and I'm pretty sure the other big Euro countries are laughing when you act like you have no choice for some reason.
The interest is in this hilarious dance of removing yourself from shared blame and pretending the rot doesn't exist at home.

Hey quick question, when I say you have and still fully control and operate Middle Eastern bases (plural), that are permanent and cannot be gotten rid of by the locals due to it being embedded in their constitution you negotiated with them? That you alone own and operate, and have used for military operations recently? And your use of it caused the locals to have Syrian jets fly over their heads at night?
When I talk about this do you even know what I'm talking about?
Why, only Americans would care about hypocritical blame shifting Brits surely.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haha... wot??

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Grape posted:

The culpability lies with both our leaders, and both our conservative populations in particular have nice big appetites for military action, and I'm pretty sure the other big Euro countries are laughing when you act like you have no choice for some reason.
The interest is in this hilarious dance of removing yourself from shared blame and pretending the rot doesn't exist at home.

Hey quick question, when I say you have and still fully control and operate Middle Eastern bases (plural), that are permanent and cannot be gotten rid of by the locals due to it being embedded in their constitution you negotiated with them? That you alone own and operate, and have used for military operations recently? And your use of it caused the locals to have Syrian jets fly over their heads at night?

You and Rent-A-Cop are the only people shifting blame, and engaging in a truly heroic amount of projection regarding what any British posters have been telling you. We've been quite happy to underline we're the lovely, snivelling toady to America's hulking bully and I haven't seen anyone dodge any accountability on that mark. The point you seem desperate to ignore is that whatever else we might theoretically be doing if we weren't relegated to America's casus-belli on a string, it wouldn't be loving with Iran because there's absolutely nothing we can gain by it. It's totally an American gambit and transparently so, because we're in lock-step with American foreign policy and have been since the end of the empire.

Here's a question for you, you know what a lot of those hideous, colonial airbases around the world flying the Union Jack mainly do? Act as staging ground for the CIA to kidnap, torture and otherwise ship people to U.S black sites.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

they won Iraq, Syria and their proxies won Lebanon and are winning in Yemen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
They basically invented modern insurgency techniques, or more precisely, learned from the legacies of past insurgencies and then brought them into maturity and disseminated them to considerable success.

That said Iranian diplomacy is extremely skilled and nuanced and has been extremely ahead of its time for a very long time.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Allies, not proxies.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hezbollah was created by Iran.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Haystack posted:

Allies, not proxies.

whatever dude you get what I mean.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grape posted:

If you're talking about Cyprus, Syrian jets absolutely have not flown over their heads, and the anti-air missile that landed there was fired at an Israeli plane.

As far the actual argument about Iran, it's possible to acknowledge that the UK generally falls in line with American foreign policy, and one way or another seems to have done so here, while still believing they're stupid and wrong for doing so.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 30, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey it's possible that the UK did not seize that ship at the behest of Washington. It might have been at the behest of Riyadh or Tel-Aviv instead.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I think it's likely donny smooth - brain meant that the other way around.... never lost a war but never won a negotiation... donny being the great negotiator and all definitely makes me think this. That seems odd though in a way we haven't yet seen from king dorrito.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

You and Rent-A-Cop are the only people shifting blame, and engaging in a truly heroic amount of projection regarding what any British posters have been telling you. We've been quite happy to underline we're the lovely, snivelling toady to America's hulking bully and I haven't seen anyone dodge any accountability on that mark. The point you seem desperate to ignore is that whatever else we might theoretically be doing if we weren't relegated to America's casus-belli on a string, it wouldn't be loving with Iran because there's absolutely nothing we can gain by it. It's totally an American gambit and transparently so, because we're in lock-step with American foreign policy and have been since the end of the empire.

Here's a question for you, you know what a lot of those hideous, colonial airbases around the world flying the Union Jack mainly do? Act as staging ground for the CIA to kidnap, torture and otherwise ship people to U.S black sites.

The sun never sets on British insecurities.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Or boring jingoistic Americans with nothing of any substance to say, apparently.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cable Guy posted:

I think it's likely donny smooth - brain meant that the other way around.... never lost a war but never won a negotiation... donny being the great negotiator and all definitely makes me think this. That seems odd though in a way we haven't yet seen from king dorrito.

He means that brute force is the only way to deal with the wily Oriental who knows nothing of honour, and also Obama shamed America by accepting the nuclear deal.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

They're getting tired of all this winning.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I see the standard of discussion has relaxed somewhat in D&D. In that case allow me to respond in kind:

:jerkbag:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I see the standard of discussion has relaxed somewhat in D&D. In that case allow me to respond in kind:

:jerkbag:

Which one are you, Balfour or Sykes?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Volkerball posted:

Hezbollah was created by Iran.

Is this supposed to be some type of insult lol?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Flayer posted:

Or boring jingoistic Americans with nothing of any substance to say, apparently.

It's telling that you literally can't hear the criticism, and are just hearing (somehow) someone else rah rahing their country.
Anyway here's your substance

βγείτε από το νησί.
:frog:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Grape posted:

It's telling that you literally can't hear the criticism, and are just hearing (somehow) someone else rah rahing their country.
Anyway here's your substance

βγείτε από το νησί.
:frog:
The leaders of the British political class have been morons for decades and a chief failing of that has been a lickspittle obedience to American interests. The fact that some people don't seem to grasp that any British military adventurism in the Middle-East and Afghanistan is entirely enabled and advanced by the USA is the real blind spot. The British haven't had any independent military interest in that broad region of the world since Oman in the early '70s.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It hardly matters given they still receive the benefits of being part of the imperial core. Australia's even more of an oafish lapdog of the yanks, but we're just as culpable as the Yanks for following them into every single one of their wars.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It hardly matters given they still receive the benefits of being part of the imperial core. Australia's even more of an oafish lapdog of the yanks, but we're just as culpable as the Yanks for following them into every single one of their wars.

See this guy gets it, it ain't rocket science!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The most :black101: :norway: of Iran news

https://www.iranhumanrights.org/2019/07/iranian-heavy-metal-band-members-escape-to-norway-after-receiving-prison-sentences/

quote:

Nikan Khosravi and Arash Ilkhani, members of the Iranian heavy metal band Confess, have left Iran to escape prosecution and prison for their art.

“We took a risk and left the country so that we could continue our work,” Khosravi said in an interview with the Center for Human Rights in Iran (CHRI) on July 27, 2019.

On July 3, 2019, Branch 34 of the Appeals Court in Tehran sentenced Khosravi to 12.5 years in prison and 74 lashes and Ilkhani was given two years in prison plus a four-year suspended prison sentence.

Both were charged with “insulting the sacred” and “propaganda against the state.” But Khosravi was later slapped with additional charges, including “insulting the Supreme Leader and President” as well as “disturbing public opinion through the production of music containing anti-regime lyrics and insulting content and for participating in interviews with the opposition media.”

Khosravi and Ilkhani were arrested by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Intelligence Organization after publishing their second album in November 2015. At the time, they were undergraduate students at the Islamic Azad University, Roudehen Branch, near Tehran, studying English translation.

They were initially held in solitary confinement for 10 days in Evin Prison’s Ward 2-A, under the control of the IRGC, and then moved to a public ward for month, before being released on bail.

In March 2016, they were arrested once again and held for two months, during which time they were put on trial.

“After the trial in (Branch 28 of) the Revolutionary Court, I was banned from leaving the country. But I got myself illegally smuggled across the border into Turkey,” Khosravi told CHRI. “I continued my musical work and also gave interviews about the verdict against me and Arash and what had happened during interrogations and the trial. I also published the original verdict, which resulted in new charges against me.”

The Appeals Court hearing was held on July 25, 2018, and February 24, 2019, during which Ilkhani was present along with his lawyer.

“After the second appeal hearing, Arash called me very worried and said he was sure the sentence against him would be upheld. He said the judge was really angry. So I contacted the organization that had helped me get asylum in Norway and asked if they could do the same for Arash. About 10-12 days later Arash got out of Iran. He was able to go to Turkey because there was no travel ban on him and three weeks later he came to Norway.”

tl;dr: Iranian justice system is poo poo, heavy metal is awesome

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nenonen posted:

tl;dr: Iranian justice system is poo poo, heavy metal is awesome
Neither has enough banjo for me tbqh.

Props to Norway for having a heavy metal asylum program though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
FYI evin prison is a really, really bad place to be.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gently caress yeah, gonna follow these guys for sure. Metal is the loving best.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

gently caress yeah, gonna follow these guys for sure. Metal is the loving best.

Sure but what if they are Ayn Rand in metal form? What values do they have and how many bat heads can they bite off in one go?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Props to Norway for having a heavy metal asylum program though.

I wish Finland was like that. Seriously we're not pulling our weight compared to Norway or especially Sweden wrt quota refugees. Though the new gov is supposed to increase the quota, but not quite enough...

AND Finland has the most metal bands per population, so this is helping the Norwegians catch up :argh:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

taking a decent number of quota refugees is sort of our indulgence for basically shutting everyone off from arriving any other way. asylum rules in norway have been sharply reined in, and the added emphasis on quotas is how everyone from labour and to the right have gotten their non-racist members to agree to it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sanctioning the people responsible for diplomacy is unbelievably stupid unless all you really want is war. Trump doesn't, but many around him do, so his administration does stupid poo poo all the time.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1156660866273746945
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1156663302547804161

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

News:
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1156181946738913281

quote:

The MMC has been good about publicizing how involved the Americans have been with working to keep things from escalating. About 45 minutes ago they released an image of what appears to be an Apache gunship patrolling along the Sagur line [north of Manbij]

The Americans have been keeping a close eye on the jihadists opposite SDF positions. It’s regular to hear their drones up.

This is a fascinating long-form article about the massive decimation of manpower in the SAA and the various militias allied with the regime, infighting and disputes between regime militas, and how various units in the SAA have been restructured/reorganized, sometimes even with former rebels filling the ranks:
https://www.mei.edu/publications/lion-and-eagle-syrian-arab-armys-destruction-and-rebirth

quote:

The rest of the report is based almost entirely on publicly available Facebook posts from the personal profiles of SAA commanders and fighters and from Facebook pages dedicated to posting media about specific Republican Guard groups. To begin, the author searched in Arabic for posts regarding SAA divisions, brigades, regiments, and battalions known to him, followed by information on other units discussed in English-language media. Throughout this process, further SAA units were identified.

When a unit was identified, all of their associated Facebook pages were fully examined for posts relating to deployments, commanders, and affiliations with other units. Next, the author searched variations of the unit’s name on Facebook to find additional posts and information. The bulk of this research focused on identifying which brigades had a social media footprint from 2017 through 2019 and which divisions these brigades were claimed to be associated with. Most posts only refer to brigade deployments, although simultaneous deployments across the country make it clear that these posts were actually referring to battalions within these brigades. Posts about specific battalions were much rarer and largely came through martyrdom commemorations. Unit affiliations were more difficult to assess, as some brigades were reported as belonging to multiple divisions simultaneously. Such cases are stated and the mixed affiliations are reflected in the orders of battle created.

Lastly, the author relied on a year-long interview with a pro-regime Syrian with extensive contacts throughout the military. The claims made by this individual, who wishes to remain anonymous for security reasons, were largely corroborated via open source material. While this methodology has led to the most comprehensive existing record of the current SAA structure, it is limited due to its reliance on Facebook posts matching the author’s search terms. Furthermore, the SAA is currently undergoing restructuring. Therefore, it is entirely possible that additional new brigades are not included in this report and that some unit affiliations are either out of date or missing.

Example of former rebels being recruited into the SAA's ranks:

quote:

Emphasis is also being placed on replenishing the SAA’s depleted ranks. According to one source, an SAA division today contains around 11,000 men total, including reservists and civilian employees.68 The 18th Division has only 4,000 men (active duty, reservist, and civilian), while the 1st Division likely has more than 11,000. Attempts to integrate loyalist militias have already been discussed, but the regime has also tried to pressure reconciled rebels and civilians in formerly opposition-held locales to join. Since 2017, but with a renewed push in the second half of 2018, reconciled rebels have been heavily recruited into the 7th, 9th and 10th Divisions as well as the 5th Corps. Other contingents of former rebels have been incorporated into the 8th Division (from Dara’a), and the 1st Division’s 61st Brigade (from Douma) and 171st Brigade (from Rastan). Initially, the 4th Division was meant to replenish its ranks with former rebels from Dara’a and al-Quneitra, however, following “internal disputes,” the division backed out and now many former rebels from these areas have joined the 105th Brigade of the Republican Guard.

Reconciled rebel units remain in the south of the country for the most part as “they are not deemed trustworthy” and thus are either stationed in brigade headquarters or deployed around Dara’a and Damascus. However, several former rebels from the Damascus region serving in the 1st Division were killed during the May 2019 fighting in Hama and Idlib and ex-rebel anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) units within the 9th Division are reportedly being trained by the Russians in Jableh, Latakia. Furthermore, a large contingent of reconciled rebels have joined the 5th Corps’ 4th Brigade and are currently stationed in the Homs desert around Palmyra. According to one interview with a Palmyra NDF member currently stationed there, these ex-rebels are being sent on patrols around the ISIS-controlled region of Mount Bashiri and dying by the dozens every day. The source stated that “it's very suspicious that these guys get sent out in the desert with little support and they seldom return, and if they return, they get sent out again. Tactic seems to get rid of many of these reconciled rebels in this area.”

Several reconciled rebel commanders in southern Syria began claiming in March 2019 that the Russians were attempting to create a new 6th Corps, which would be largely staffed by ex-rebels. Both the Omran Center for Strategic Studies and this author’s own interviews have corroborated these claims. Omran states in their report that the new 6th Corps will be centered around the 3rd Division, a middling SAA unit who has supported ex-rebel fighters in the northern Damascus countryside for some years. However, these attempts have reportedly faltered and are still in their very early stages.
The whole thing is a fascinating read, and this quote is really, really telling about Syria's future:

quote:

"Eight years of civil war appear to have convinced the regime that the biggest potential challenge to its survival is not a conventional war with Israel, but internal threats. Thus, the SAA is being rebuilt as a largely motorized infantry army, one that is able to quickly deploy loyal soldiers to areas of insurgency or unrest across the country."
The regime is literally rebuilding the SAA to be more effective at fighting internal rebellions and insurgencies. They're already preparing for the next uprising against the regime.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 1, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saladin Rising posted:

News:

This is a fascinating long-form article about the massive decimation of manpower in the SAA and the various militias allied with the regime, infighting and disputes between regime militas, and how various units in the SAA have been restructured/reorganized, sometimes even with former rebels filling the ranks:
https://www.mei.edu/publications/lion-and-eagle-syrian-arab-armys-destruction-and-rebirth

Example of former rebels being recruited into the SAA's ranks:

The regime is literally rebuilding the SAA to be more effective at fighting internal rebellions and insurgencies. They're already preparing for the next uprising against the regime.

This was a good read. I'm not surprised at the increasing quantity of ex-rebels in the government forces. I remember one of the most common complaints of reconciled rebels was that they were being pressured into enlisting or at least completing their mandatory period of military service. The moral in those units can't be very good.

It's hard to imagine what Syria is going to look like in the coming decade. The government has resolved none of the issues that started the war in the first place, and the war has only intensified the divisions between Syria's ethnic groups. Syria can't just continue on a war economy forever.

I wonder, are there any plans to pullback on western sanctions? There's not much prospect of them encouraging regime change in the immediate future. There's no focus in the policy of western nations, or seemingly any end goal in mind. American policy appears to simply be running on autopilot.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Squalid posted:

This was a good read. I'm not surprised at the increasing quantity of ex-rebels in the government forces. I remember one of the most common complaints of reconciled rebels was that they were being pressured into enlisting or at least completing their mandatory period of military service. The moral in those units can't be very good.

It's hard to imagine what Syria is going to look like in the coming decade. The government has resolved none of the issues that started the war in the first place, and the war has only intensified the divisions between Syria's ethnic groups. Syria can't just continue on a war economy forever.

I wonder, are there any plans to pullback on western sanctions? There's not much prospect of them encouraging regime change in the immediate future. There's no focus in the policy of western nations, or seemingly any end goal in mind. American policy appears to simply be running on autopilot.
I've thought about this recently, I legitimately have no loving clue what's going to happen in 2021 when the US finally has an actual top-down policy in Syria rather than our current policy of "I don't loving know, just wing it".

Seriously, it's weird realizing that there hasn't been any real top-down direction on the US's Syria policy for years now, and that we've been coasting on a combination of inertia, a revolving door of appointed officials (a lot of whom aren't even around anymore eg James Mattis and Brett McGurk), the best guess of the Pentagon's higher ups, the few things congress can agree on (sanctions on Turkey for buying the S-400 system), dumb poo poo that Trump says (we're ripping up the Iranian nuclear deal), and dumb poo poo that Trump says that gets mostly ignored (we're completely withdrawing from Syria).

As for sanctions specially I'd say those are likely to stay regardless of a new Administration in 2021, simply because there's honestly not any real reason to pull back sanctions on Syria. Assad is still the dictator for life of the burning husk that used to be Syria, he still gassed his own people, he still has a "gently caress the US" attitude, and he's still backed by Russia and Iran. The neocon Republicans loving despise Iran (as do quite a few Democrats), and a whole bunch of Democrats hate Russia/Putin for all the election interference and other poo poo that Russia's been up to like Crimea and eastern Ukraine (as do some Republicans). So yeah, not a whole lot of love there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saladin Rising posted:

As for sanctions specially I'd say those are likely to stay regardless of a new Administration in 2021, simply because there's honestly not any real reason to pull back sanctions on Syria. Assad is still the dictator for life of the burning husk that used to be Syria, he still gassed his own people, he still has a "gently caress the US" attitude, and he's still backed by Russia and Iran. The neocon Republicans loving despise Iran (as do quite a few Democrats), and a whole bunch of Democrats hate Russia/Putin for all the election interference and other poo poo that Russia's been up to like Crimea and eastern Ukraine (as do some Republicans). So yeah, not a whole lot of love there.

I mean yeah they probably will stick around for a while. But as for reasons to do it? Sanctions definitely make the lives of average Syrians harder, probably even the lives of those in Rojava and even in Idlib. By strangling the Syrian economy they kill people make no mistake. Now of course, they were put in place to punish the Assad government for doing a lot of bad poo poo. However if (hypothetically speaking) the war ends, will it make sense to continue them? I would argue no. Removing them wouldn't be about rewarding Assad, just about supporting a return to some kind of normal economy. That's not for the sake of the government, simply for everyone who is stuck under it.

Of course the war is not over and is still raging in Idlib, and the government's latest campaign there seems to have gone no where. Turkey scaled up support for the rebels in response to the offensive, while Iran, Hezbollah and Russia have not committed substantial assistance to these operations. It doesn't seem like Assad will be be ruling over a united Syria anytime soon. So long as America's involved they won't be moving East either. How long can Syria just persist in this divided state I wonder, with all sides waiting to pounce on the others?