Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I checked Google News's results for Brazil the other day and an article on Quartz came up about how deforestation of the Amazon has accelerated under Bolso, to the tune of three (American) football fields a minute. Between that and the fact that 70% of the world's pollution is done by a handful of companies, it's kinda safe to say that we're hosed, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1156204999904567297
https://twitter.com/CarlosBolsonaro/status/1156205539027820546

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

oooooh burn!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does that mean

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Greenwald tweeted asking where did all the unfounded conspiracy theories about him go, Bolsonaro's son replied with "ask your mother"

Apparently GG's mother is dying?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, it's more him being a huge dork and attempting an Hideki Kamiya - esque ASK YOUR MOM.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
How dare you even compare Kamiya’s immaculate work to the tweet-vomits of Carluxo

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's more how these types try to emulate those things so its how you end up with crap like Ben Shapiro finding an old tweet from Ilhan Omar going on how she has fire on her soul to fight for her life and quotetweeting with "Madam this is a Wendy"

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Ok so now Rodrigo Maia, the lower house leader, is backing Glenn up and taunting Moro.

Also, people are openly discussing impeachment.

I guess that now that the oh so necessary pension reform is out of the way Bolzi is of no use to the centrists anymore. I seriously doubt he's getting impeached now, but seems like the anti-PT crowd is finally starting to run out of steam and isolating themselves.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

bagual posted:

Ok so now Rodrigo Maia, the lower house leader, is backing Glenn up and taunting Moro.

Also, people are openly discussing impeachment.

I guess that now that the oh so necessary pension reform is out of the way Bolzi is of no use to the centrists anymore. I seriously doubt he's getting impeached now, but seems like the anti-PT crowd is finally starting to run out of steam and isolating themselves.

Ehh. Slow down a bit. Maia says a lot of stuff but at the end of the day he just wants to avoid as much backlash as possible.

Right now, the government's base are still those that can bring the most pain, so he'll talk crap about Bolso's latest barbarism but never really follow through until he sees Globo or other big movers also throw the president under the bus.

The anti-PT crowd is still the most powerful force in brazilian politics. Except now some of them slightly ammended their motto to "We deeply hate PT -and- are midly uncomfortable with overt tyranny. But given the choice we'd vote for tyranny over PT again in an eyeblink". Ninety percent of them, even if they give up on the current president, will gladly vote for a slightly more polished monster next time around.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Is that all anti-PT sentiment though, as opposed to a general desire for something to change or difference? It's not like Temer's party flourished in the wake of this "anti-PT" wave, which makes me think it's more like the global trend of lashing out against the current leader/party/power that MBL and their goblins are desperately trying to spin as fundamentally anti-PT sentiment, rather that anti-the party that was leading the country.

People clung desperately to the idea they sold that impeaching Dilma would somehow make a big difference in their lives, and when that didn't pan out clung to the fantasy that Bolsonaro would be the conduit for meaningful change. I have no doubt that the public that is lurching around grasping at salvation could be as easily swayed into supporting impeaching Bolsonaro and his unpalatable spawn the second it becomes politically expedient.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Oh I know nothing will come of it right now, it's just that a tiny chink in the armor is still a chink in the armor.

Besides, I know the world is a windmill that will ground petty dreams and illusions into dust, but to paraphrase Lula's 2002 campaign, hope must prevail over fear, and if you dismiss every small thing out of hand you'll end up dismissing the real chances too. Being comfortably cynical is the surefire way to slide into apathetic middle class centrism.

Writing this post I remembered I translated Marighella's Rondó da Liberdade last year because I couldn't find a translation online, for some stupid GBS thread of all things. What do you guys think, is this good, translation-wise?

Carlos Marighella posted:

It's needed to be fearless,
It's needed to have the courage to say.

There are those who are slaves by vocation
But there are slaves who revolt against slavery

Don't be on your knees,
Because it's not rational to renounce being free.
Even the slaves by vocation
Must be forced to be free
Once the shackles are broken.

It's needed to have the courage to say.

Mankind must be free...
Love is what stops at no obstacle
And can even exist when one's not free.
Even so it entails in itself
The most elevated expression of freedom
In all ranges of human sentiment

It's needed to have the courage to say...

For gringo contextualization purposes, Carlos Marighella was a black communist militant murdered by the dictatorship in 1969 while organizing an armed resistance group. His writings and name still echo to this day, both through leftist remembrance efforts like Marighella, the 2019 movie by Wagner Moura (which i can't seem to find anywhere btw :( ), and continued demonization from the right, who paint him as a bloodthirsty terrorist thief-thug.

So before thinking the poem is too naive or wishful in our hellworld days, take note that this was written in prison, and the man was as serious as you can get.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

bagual posted:

Oh I know nothing will come of it right now, it's just that a tiny chink in the armor is still a chink in the armor.

Besides, I know the world is a windmill that will ground petty dreams and illusions into dust, but to paraphrase Lula's 2002 campaign, hope must prevail over fear, and if you dismiss every small thing out of hand you'll end up dismissing the real chances too. Being comfortably cynical is the surefire way to slide into apathetic middle class centrism.

Writing this post I remembered I translated Marighella's Rondó da Liberdade last year because I couldn't find a translation online, for some stupid GBS thread of all things. What do you guys think, is this good, translation-wise?

For gringo contextualization purposes, Carlos Marighella was a black communist militant murdered by the dictatorship in 1969 while organizing an armed resistance group. His writings and name still echo to this day, both through leftist remembrance efforts like Marighella, the 2019 movie by Wagner Moura (which i can't seem to find anywhere btw :( ), and continued demonization from the right, who paint him as a bloodthirsty terrorist thief-thug.

So before thinking the poem is too naive or wishful in our hellworld days, take note that this was written in prison, and the man was as serious as you can get.

Seems like Marighella (2019) has only been screened at film festivals for now, I'm sure there'll be rips online once the DVD/blu-ray comes out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Glenn Greenwald did a good interview on Chapo.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

Nah, it's more him being a huge dork and attempting an Hideki Kamiya - esque ASK YOUR MOM.

Nah, it was him trying to be a cruel rear end in a top hat.

Greenwald has been trying to get an emergency visa for his two adopted sons. Bolso's minions went all in on that as evidence that Greenwald was trying to get away because of his many crimes, but then Greenwald publicly said that the reason for the emergency visa is that his mother has terminal cancer and he wants his kids to see her before she dies.

This particular tweet that Carlos Bolsonaro was replying to was specifically addressing the bullshit conspiracy theories that the minions were spreading. Carlos Bolsonaro had endorsed and helped spread a conspiracy theory that Greenwald had paid a Russian hacker to hack Moro, and that he did this with bitcoins, and that is why Greenwald was going to be arrested and was trying to get out of the country. With the arrest of the actual hackers, Greenwald was saying "hey, what happened to all those conspiracy theories of a Russian hacker?" and that is why you can be certain that Carlos was trying to twist the knife regarding his mother.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I knew everything save for the mom part. Jesus that's vile.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Unnecessary cruelty? Is he still trying to audition for the US ambassador role?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

hoiyes posted:

Unnecessary cruelty? Is he still trying to audition for the US ambassador role?

Nah that's the other foul offspring

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Negrostrike posted:

Nah that's the other foul offspring

are there any significant differences between them? in my mind they're all merged into the exact same kind of /pol/-shithead person

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well one is affiliated with death squads and is notoriously corrupt and the other peddles alt right pablum on twitter

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

are there any significant differences between them? in my mind they're all merged into the exact same kind of /pol/-shithead person

this one is the closeted gay

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i saw on the ESPN ticker that not only are Brazilian authorities no longer seeking rape charges against Neymar, the police are looking into whether his accuser filed a false report. i suppose he's more loyal to Qatar at this point than Bolso but still hosed up to see

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ziraldo died...

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Again??

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Ziraldo died...

He'd been really ill for a while. I got to meet him while working at Jornal do Brasil and he was an amazing, funny, friendly guy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
No he didint

https://www.boatos.org/entretenimento/escritor-ziraldo-morre-86-anos.html

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Phew!

...though now I get to be sad -again- when he does die!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
There were a couple of rumours of him dying 2 days ago.

I sincerely admire Ziraldo on a personal level because he's a guy who is super old now but still got the energy to paint a 2m painting of a butt:

:worship:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

There were a couple of rumours of him dying 2 days ago.

I sincerely admire Ziraldo on a personal level because he's a guy who is super old now but still got the energy to paint a 2m painting of a butt:

:worship:

Thiſ is what I'm talking about right there!!
👀
👅 👌 👜👍 😘 that's what im talking about right there 🗽👊🏻👀🭃👪👍🏾👍🏴👍🏽👊👊 right there 🌫🌫there 🌪 👁👋👀👀👌👀👌🔫👌🔫НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👋 🎩 🎩 🎩 👍 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💀 👌‍👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👋 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒ mMMMMᎷМ💯 🙇 😍😍 🙇 thats ✔ some balrog 💯 thats ✔ some illuminati👌👌poo poo right 👌👌there👌👌👌👌 right❌there ❌❌if i say so my self 💯 the trap 👌👌there ❌❌right THERE ALright 🍕 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 🙇 🐶౦ 🐶 🐶౦ 🐶 thats what im talking about right there right there right there right there right there 🐶 thats ❌ some bad🐦🐦poo poo right🐦🐦th🐦🐦th right🐦there🐦🐦🐦 right🐦if i do ƽaү so my self 👀
👅hooO○oO𐊫𐌏𐐄𐒆𐩐𐩑𐩒 🌘🌗let's go!🐵🚇 𐃵𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝛤𝛰!!🎃🎃🎄🎏𓅄🝝ₗₑₜₛℊℴ👡👞👑℻🔐📿ₗₑₜₛ⇶⒢⒠⒯⒤⒯📴🇦🇮ⷢⷪ㉤꒒Ꜫ꓄꒚💈ꓖꝌ💈hooooO○oO𐊫oooo000Ooo𐌏𐐄𐒆𐩐𐩑𐩒↖️↖️↖️𐑃𐐩𐐮𐒡 𐤯𐤦 𐤯𐤖𐤁 🍡🍡🌇hooooO○oO𐊫ooOOO0Ooooo000Ooo𐌏𐐄𐒆𐩐𐩑𐩒 ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/BrianMteleSUR/status/1156571096533090305
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1156714851210858496
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1156345748956557312

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Tucker Carlson is a commie

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In the latest bit of being complete and utter trash human beings, Minions have now started to argue that because Greenwald's mom has posted on facebook recently, she is not really dying of cancer:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1156958753218093056

https://twitter.com/tatifarah/status/1157014945818664960

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The director of our satellite program got sacked because the satellites showed the deforestation spike on the amazon

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1157274854149763072

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Minister of education liked a tweet from someone threatening harm against university students

https://twitter.com/CCambara3/status/1157984807609085952?s=20

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Plutonis posted:

Minister of education liked a tweet from someone threatening harm against university students

https://twitter.com/CCambara3/status/1157984807609085952?s=20

Bolsonarists loves Negan references

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crosaover time: Bolsonaro said that banning guns on the US isnt the solution for mass shootings bc guns are illegal in brazil and we still have shootings (we had a single one this year and the one before that was in like 2014)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Plutonis posted:

Crosaover time: Bolsonaro said that banning guns on the US isnt the solution for mass shootings bc guns are illegal in brazil and we still have shootings (we had a single one this year and the one before that was in like 2014)

I hate these idiots

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

no hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Probably a bad idea to draw too much attention to mass killings in Brazil given they're mostly done by cops.