Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HootTheOwl posted:

I watch this and come to the opposite conclusion. She's right, but comes off as evasive and weak when Chris tries to pin her down.
Warren was at her best last night when she was asked a question and got full time to answer. I thought she looked terrible when she was in "15 second rebuttal" situations. She can't keep her points short and keeps getting cut off and is stuck saying "this is important!" as we cut away from her.

And Trump will cut you off and not give a drat what anyone says. You have to be direct and forceful with him. You have to be Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Judakel posted:

And Trump will cut you off and not give a drat what anyone says. You have to be direct and forceful with him. You have to be Bernie.

This is some hardcore revisionist history, Trump is not actually good at debate, he's just good at sucking all the air out of the room in an overcrowded field

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Best evidence is his military service. He'll frequently talk about how he signed up because of 9/11. But note that while he was 19 when 9/11 actually happened, he only signed up for the military in 2009, a few months before his first political race. And he signed up for the navy reserves in landlocked state. As a result, when he deployed he served in the financial unit of navy intelligence. And yet despite the fact that he mostly dealt with spreadsheets in Kabul, he constantly talks about his courageous service. He talks about how it was dangerous, how he carried an assault weapon abroad so that people wouldn't need to carry it here, and, perhaps most emblematic, he said it was so dangerous that with time he had to learn to differentiate construction sounds from suicide bombers, despite the fact that while he was in Kabul there were no suicide bombings there. He was a desk jockey who unironically says stuff like "'It's not like I killed Bin Laden, but it was dangerous." It was very obvious that he signed up for political reasons while making sure that he had the safest assignment possible. He spent 6 months in Afghanistan and talks about it like saw action, instead of chasing spreadsheets in Afghanistan's safest area.

This is the very definition of vietnam-era REMF, except that was to avoid combat not burnish your CV.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

something is very sick when the "left-wing" party has a guy with a net worth of 90 million he gained from the health care industry saying we can't afford universal health care.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arist posted:

This is some hardcore revisionist history, Trump is not actually good at debate, he's just good at sucking all the air out of the room in an overcrowded field

Trump is bad at debate. He's good at interrupting with tantrums. Warren spent the night showing she's willing to cede her time because the rules say they're getting punished for it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

I watch this and come to the opposite conclusion. She's right, but comes off as evasive and weak when Chris tries to pin her down.
Warren was at her best last night when she was asked a question and got full time to answer. I thought she looked terrible when she was in "15 second rebuttal" situations. She can't keep her points short and keeps getting cut off and is stuck saying "this is important!" as we cut away from her.

CNN's format was garbage. 15 seconds to respond is stupid as all hell.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Arist posted:

"warren is only good when she gets plenty of uninterrupted space to explain what she means"
"which is bad against trump, who sucks all the air out of the room by interrupting people"
"this is HARDCORE REVISIONIST HISTORY, the only thing trump is good at is sucking the air out of the room and interrupting people"

lmao

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Arist posted:

Lol, Delaney went on loving Fox News to complain about Warren attacking him:

https://twitter.com/WPJohnWagner/status/1156537289595662341

https://twitter.com/sheriffofcanada/status/1156378284948692992

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

HootTheOwl posted:

This was my take

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mormonpartyboat posted:

"warren is only good when she gets plenty of uninterrupted space to explain what she means"
"which is bad against trump, who sucks all the air out of the room by interrupting people"
"this is HARDCORE REVISIONIST HISTORY, the only thing trump is good at is sucking the air out of the room and interrupting people"

lmao

where were you when the :wrong: heard around the world was muttered into the mic?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Ummm is he saying that Pulp Fiction is 45 minutes too long? Cancelled.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am so terrified of losing in 2020, is a full medicare for all with no private insurance a guaruntee way Trump wins or is this a republican talking point?

source your quotes

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

extremely pumped for bernie's policy videos full of inexplicable foot shots

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The debate is much sadder when you realize Delaney paid out of his own pocket to be a punching bag for 2 1/2 hours last night

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Arist posted:

Trump slaughtered Clinton at the debates and realizing that most of D&D literally couldn't understand this was a huge revelation regarding just how out of touch most of the posters here actually are.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
elizabeth warren trying to wheel over a whiteboard to draw up a flowchart showing oversight responsibilities but trump just cant stop humping it

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

mormonpartyboat posted:

according to a couple people trying to hedge the bet, you need supplemental private insurance to cover things that the public insurance won't cover such as:

Well if you want a real world example, I live in Canada and OHIP does not include dental, prescription drugs, or other types of insurance such as accidental death, etc. The private insurance through my employer supplements those things.

The two companies that I have had (Manulife & Desjardin) also provide our Retirement Savings plans, so I’m not 100% sure this would be an apples for apples comparison as to how these companies would exist, but there would likely be a role for private insurance companies to fill. It just wouldn’t be as profitable.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Slowpoke! posted:

Well if you want a real world example, I live in Canada and OHIP does not include dental, prescription drugs, or other types of insurance such as accidental death, etc.

that's because ohip (like most real world examples) is not good, it's just better

america shouldn't be aspiring to be canada, america should be aspiring to make canada feel like dogshit for having such a backwards system

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FlamingLiberal posted:

The debate is much sadder when you realize Delaney paid out of his own pocket to be a punching bag for 2 1/2 hours last night

this is paypig erasure

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VH4Ever posted:

CNN's format was garbage. 15 seconds to respond is stupid as all hell.

Well I'm sure CNN will learn their lesson come their inevitable general election debate, and also Trump will let her have endless time to make her points.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Slowpoke! posted:

Well if you want a real world example, I live in Canada and OHIP does not include dental, prescription drugs, or other types of insurance such as accidental death, etc. The private insurance through my employer supplements those things.

The two companies that I have had (Manulife & Desjardin) also provide our Retirement Savings plans, so I’m not 100% sure this would be an apples for apples comparison as to how these companies would exist, but there would likely be a role for private insurance companies to fill. It just wouldn’t be as profitable.

OHIP is really terrible and more or less has actual death panels, except they take the form of a doctor or hospital administrator behind the scenes telling the hospital social worker to send the old diabetic person home where they will die so that some else can be rotated through that bed. Or if the social worker won't do it, they wait till she's not there (a lot of em are only working four days or less thanks to cuts) and then transfers the patient anyway. People are killed this way all the time.

It is also infinitely better than the American system, because this is hellworld and the extremely spotty, unreliable and indifferent health insurance that you get in Canada somehow puts America to shame.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Arist posted:

Does what I describe sound like "being good at debate"? Debate is something dorks do. Donald Trump doesn't give a gently caress. Most people thought Clinton won her series of debates. She didn't.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Glasses Optional posted:

Re: Buttcudgel, i see the points on folks downing on him saying hes using his service somehow disingenuously. I guess I don't buy that it makes him an evil liar though.

I joined the reserves a week after 9/11 in a land locked state, and while my job in Iraq was adjacent to what the Hurt Locker depicted (hated that movie for inaccuracies) and i have photos of myself like Pete does above, i guess its hard for me to automatically reject him because of those passages in his book. I dont see them as incorrecr because you DID have to train on that stuff, and i actually experienced some of it.
Because my experience so mirrors his own minus the whiteness and privilege.

So..is there anything besides the military service that makes him an evil dishonest person? This isnt the only thread I've seen that said here and thats the most explanation ive seen, his military service.

Basically, Pete's entire past is that of a centrist elite whose only concern in life was building a presidential resume. And it really shows in his book. He frames his time at an amoral consultancy firm and his signing up to join the military as just something he needs to do if he wants to be a proper American elite, to be the next Bush or Kennedy. He derides protesters fighting for a living wage for janitors as mere "social justice warriors" who don't have nearly as much power and impact as the "mostly apolitical geeks" like him, and he doesn't seem to have any thoughts at all about the goals of the protest, describing it only as a "daily diversion on the way to class", background scenery he passed through on his way to "Pizza and Politics" sessions with journalists and think-tankers.

The gold standard for deep dives into Pete's past and his deeply troubling perspectives is this Current Affairs article: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

Aside from that, the reason people are calling him a liar right now is that prior to last night, he was light on policy and heavy on empty centrist rhetoric. He largely avoided taking positions on anything, dodging questions whenever possible and refusing to commit to a single answer even on questions like "would you eat salsa mixed with ranch". On the rare instances where someone managed to get him to give a partial answer, it was almost always centrist mush. And now he comes up on stage last night and he's suddenly a leftist ideologue? Anyone who's been following the election before this week isn't buying this drastic change in his positions.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

VH4Ever posted:

So, who still says Liz can't be forceful with Trump in a debate later on? Liz is stronger than people give her credit for. I love when she goes Full Schoolteacher on someone asking a poo poo question:

https://twitter.com/seankent/status/1156466287868035072

EDIT: it needs to be said again and again but turbofuck Chris Matthews.

They REALLY want Warren to just "ADMIT IT ADMIT IT YOU BITCH!" that people will pay taxes under her plan that will remove all of their healthcare/insurance costs.

To the point that Hard-Baller-who-balls-hard won't accept the core premise that taxes aren't the only expense that people in America have.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chilichimp posted:

They REALLY want Warren to just ADMIT IT ADMIT IT YOU BITCH! that people will pay taxes under her plan that will remove all of their healthcare/insurance costs.

To the point that Hard Baller who balls hard won't accept core premise that taxes aren't the only expense that people in America have.

Please write the attack ad. Our advertisers would like a soundbite.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The sheer audacity of my local Fox affiliate complaining about Bernie and Sanders fighting on the stage rather than having "calm, rational debate" after electing Trump is staggering.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chilichimp posted:

They REALLY want Warren to just ADMIT IT ADMIT IT YOU BITCH! that people will pay taxes under her plan that will remove all of their healthcare/insurance costs.

To the point that Hard Baller who balls hard won't accept core premise that taxes aren't the only expense that people in America have.

She doesn't have healthcare under her issues page. It isn't her plan and I doubt she even has any real intention of implementing it. It is just popular. In her first town hall, she was open to many options and that remains the case to this day.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Please write the attack ad. Our advertisers would like a soundbite.

I know why she won't give them the answer, because it's a stupid loving question that absolutely will be used against her...

But there's no winning here. Now they'll just say she's won't admit that taxes will go up WHAT ELSE IS SHE HIDING!?!?!?!?!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

I know why she won't give them the answer, because it's a stupid loving question that absolutely will be used against her...

But there's no winning here. Now they'll just say she's won't admit that taxes will go up WHAT ELSE IS SHE HIDING!?!?!?!?!

Honestly, it's no longer clear there's ever a bad time in American politics to change the conversation to how journalists are dishonest shills. Why even treat a question you don't like seriously when its coming from Chris Matthews? She should have just laid into him and started saying "what the hell do you know about it Chris? Youv'e never been poor, you've never sat around a kitchen table choosing between food and medicine, you just say what you're paid to say".

I mean realistically that isn't the kind of answer that Warren stans thirst for but it'd be more honest than pretending this is an actual debate on ideas.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

She doesn't have healthcare under her issues page. It isn't her plan and I doubt she even has any real intention of implementing it. It is just popular. In her first town hall, she was open to many options and that remains the case to this day.

You're right, it's Bernie's plan.

Her plan for implementing it is to win the Senate, nuke the filibuster, and pass Bernie's bill.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chilichimp posted:

Her plan for implementing it is to win the Senate, nuke the filibuster, and pass Bernie's bill.

Then she belongs in the Senate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, absolutely, she's one hundred percent not going to listen to the health insurance industry saying it would be bad for capital.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

Then she belongs in the Senate.

iamthesenate.gif

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah, absolutely, she's one hundred percent not going to listen to the health insurance industry saying it would be bad for capital.

I mean, she will, but it is hilarious to watch someone describe her plan, which revolves entirely around the Senate, and think she belongs in the White House.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

They REALLY want Warren to just "ADMIT IT ADMIT IT YOU BITCH!" that people will pay taxes under her plan that will remove all of their healthcare/insurance costs.

To the point that Hard-Baller-who-balls-hard won't accept the core premise that taxes aren't the only expense that people in America have.

THey want a "your taxes will go up" soundbite they can play in TV ads from now until the heat death of the universe.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I may end up voting for Bernie just because the average american cannot understand Warren using, y'know, nuance.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

iamthesenate.gif

When Dredd says he's the law it's not a good thing so maybe don't evoke that

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CuddleCryptid posted:

I may end up voting for Bernie just because the average american cannot understand Warren using, y'know, nuance.

Numbers Fucksteinian policies aren't nuanced.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mycomancy posted:

Numbers Fucksteinian policies aren't nuanced.

But they make me feel so smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Main Paineframe posted:

Basically, Pete's entire past is that of a centrist elite whose only concern in life was building a presidential resume. And it really shows in his book. He frames his time at an amoral consultancy firm and his signing up to join the military as just something he needs to do if he wants to be a proper American elite, to be the next Bush or Kennedy. He derides protesters fighting for a living wage for janitors as mere "social justice warriors" who don't have nearly as much power and impact as the "mostly apolitical geeks" like him, and he doesn't seem to have any thoughts at all about the goals of the protest, describing it only as a "daily diversion on the way to class", background scenery he passed through on his way to "Pizza and Politics" sessions with journalists and think-tankers.

The gold standard for deep dives into Pete's past and his deeply troubling perspectives is this Current Affairs article: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

Aside from that, the reason people are calling him a liar right now is that prior to last night, he was light on policy and heavy on empty centrist rhetoric. He largely avoided taking positions on anything, dodging questions whenever possible and refusing to commit to a single answer even on questions like "would you eat salsa mixed with ranch". On the rare instances where someone managed to get him to give a partial answer, it was almost always centrist mush. And now he comes up on stage last night and he's suddenly a leftist ideologue? Anyone who's been following the election before this week isn't buying this drastic change in his positions.

That makes sense from that perspective.