Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Do the Dew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Dilber posted:

See a sports physical therapist. Don't gently caress with your mechanics up there on your own.

If there's one thing worth investing in then it's your health/how you feel. Don't take goon advice and do what this guy recommended. Improper rehabilitation is responsible for so many extra problems for people down the line - I'm sure lots of people have injuries they didn't take care of when they were younger that affect their ability to do important lifts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Second this.

Find a flow or power yoga class and enjoy the workout and get some great mobility.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Dilber posted:

See a sports physical therapist. Don't gently caress with your mechanics up there on your own.

Seconding this as someone with the same or a similar issue.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
DO YOGA

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dilber posted:

Yeah. You gently caress up your neck, and it's bad news.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Ill show you a neck workout *crotch chops*

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Squatted my 3 rep Max for 5 reps so now it's my 5 rep max

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

there's an old dude here in sandles, a button-up, and what may be his underwear

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nooneofconsequence posted:

there's an old dude here in sandles, a button-up, and what may be his underwear

See if you can get him to open the shirt and tie the arms around his neck. It will be like watching the famous hollywood documentary on ancient warfare, “300”.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Greg Legg posted:

Walking with the kid in that carrier thing you strap on was good cardio. I used to take the kid on long 4-5 mile walks every morning before he turned 1 because it put him back to sleep. Having a kid definitely made my workouts more efficient and having a home gym helped

I have four kids between 1 and 11 years of age and have no idea how many hours I've spent with a baby or toddler sleeping against my torso like that but it's a lot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it just my gym or did everyone suddenly start spending 80% of the time stretching and rolling around in those weird cylinder things instead of actually working out?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
in or on?
Cause blackrolls aren't really new.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it just my gym or did everyone suddenly start spending 80% of the time stretching and rolling around in those weird cylinder things instead of actually working out?

It's been a thing for a while. Whatever, it keeps the actual equipment open.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mobby_6kl posted:

m o b i l i t y

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Gotta love the summer months at the gym, it's like the anti-thesis of new years resolution gym craziness

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

m o b i l i t y

don't stop until you move like an wacky wavy inflatable tube man

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

is muscle "activation" a real thing or just typical warm-up bullshit?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What does your heart tell you about the buzzword.

ABA (always be activating)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Helios Grime posted:

in or on?
Cause blackrolls aren't really new.

Uh... on, they don't have hamster-wheel style thingies yet.

*sprints to the patent office*

And yeah I've seen people do it before of course, but this week and especially today was just everyone rolling around on the floor doing god knows what. Certainly not complaining of course, better that then occupying the squat rack.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

I was having significant unilateral knee pain because of patellar chondromalacia only squatting like 225-255 last year and then I went to the PT and he told me I needed to activate my glutes and gave me like 3 warmup exercises and I did them for about 6 weeks before learning how to do it (specifically activate my glutes) with just a regular warmup but yeah now I squat 350 and have literally zero knee pain so it might be hocus pocus but boy I sure don't think so.

edit: I know this isn't a ton of weight but I'm old and it's definitely the most weight I've ever squatted and I don't have any pain doing it so I feel pretty good about it.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

What were those exercises?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

One of them is almost certainly squeezing your glutes together as hard as possible for thirty seconds. I've been doing that for a while, and it works.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I met with my physio therapist and told him about my ruined elbow thats ruined. He stopped me and was like ".....you started speed benching, didnt you"? Another victory for the conjugate method

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Man walks into a bar.

Ouch (he'd started benching again recently).

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

it might be hocus pocus but boy I sure don't think so.

Not specifically pain related but I know for a fact the author (medical doctor, squats 600+, cofounder of a company that promotes evidence based training especially wrt pain) feels the same way about the effect of glute inhibition on pain. Unfortunately most of the material he and his business partner put out nowadays is in podcast format so it's hard to link their takes on specific topics.

https://startingstrength.com/article/diagnosing_silly_bullshit

quote:

Fitness Buzzwords: A Primer

”Activation” and “Firing” of specific muscles, most commonly the Gluteus maximus, Spinal erectors, or Latissimus dorsi, which people believe can have “amnesia,” become “sleepy,” or otherwise “not fire” during basic movements. This then necessitates specialized “activation work” done regularly to “remind” them how to perform their anatomical function, and to ensure that you consciously contract each muscle in the “proper sequence” during complex movements.

Of course, there’s no evidence supporting that any of this “not firing” actually occurs in the absence of neurological injury (e.g. nerve transection or other neuropathy, stroke, or spinal cord injury), muscle infarction, rare myopathies and metabolic disorders, or general anesthesia (i.e., pharmacologic paralysis).

(As for “activation work”: there is some mixed evidence behind the idea of “post-activation potentiation” as it relates to subsequent muscular performance, but not as a “corrective” exercise. These movements can also be used as part of a warmup or to cue a desired effect. However, in the setting of effective coaching these are typically unnecessary and waste valuable training time, especially when recommended on a regular basis.)

» Bottom line: These are bullshit diagnoses, so watch out for people throwing these words around. If you are able to stand up from a chair or walk up a flight of stairs without lurching or falling, your glutes are “activating”, and any failure to properly utilize them in a squat likely represents a failure of your coach, not of your neuromuscular system.

Here's something to think about as an alternate explanation for your recovery.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just start lifting weights as soon as possible after sitting/laying down for a long time. The heavier the better.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Gaunab posted:

Just start lifting weights as soon as possible after sitting/laying down for a long time. The heavier the better.

This is my actual lifting strategy.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

dont want to waste valuable lifting energy. you need to sit/lie right back down after you're done too if you want to recover properly

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
thanks all for the ohp advice, I started extending the spine and laying back a little, belted up to support my core, and threw in more volume by way of the 5/3/1 Forever first set last and broke through my 1-plate 1RM OHP goal today

A year ago my shoulder sounded like microwaving popcorn and I could barely get 100 pounds over my head for reps, so I'll take this for what it's worth

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

thanks all for the ohp advice, I started extending the spine and laying back a little, belted up to support my core, and threw in more volume by way of the 5/3/1 Forever first set last and broke through my 1-plate 1RM OHP goal today

A year ago my shoulder sounded like microwaving popcorn and I could barely get 100 pounds over my head for reps, so I'll take this for what it's worth

Feels good man, shoulder stuff is no joke

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Gaunab posted:

As of Monday this will be my strategy because the gym will be in the basement of my office. I actually can't wait to spend more time at work because of this.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I put my back out doing 140lb squats as part of GVT, so the thread can collectively say "I told you so." Took a couple days off and am finishing the week's program of arm and shoulder work and am taking really easy otherwise.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ElectricSheep posted:

thanks all for the ohp advice, I started extending the spine and laying back a little, belted up to support my core

Cheat.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I put my back out doing 140lb squats as part of GVT, so the thread can collectively say "I told you so." Took a couple days off and am finishing the week's program of arm and shoulder work and am taking really easy otherwise.

Inappropriate jumps in volume are a known injury risk

https://youtu.be/V43mSQEjZY8

If you want to do tons of volume you could try something like RP Physique (expensive tho) which builds you up to tons of sets. I set it up so I had 15 sets of squats last week lol but I built up to it over 6 weeks and now have a deload. If you want to focus on strength Barbell Medicine's and Greg Nuckol's programs are good and have a measured approach to volume

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Olympic press best press

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

turd in my singlet posted:

Inappropriate jumps in volume are a known injury risk

https://youtu.be/V43mSQEjZY8

If you want to do tons of volume you could try something like RP Physique (expensive tho) which builds you up to tons of sets. I set it up so I had 15 sets of squats last week lol but I built up to it over 6 weeks and now have a deload. If you want to focus on strength Barbell Medicine's and Greg Nuckol's programs are good and have a measured approach to volume

I always found it amusing when someone would question the RP Physique volume like "It only has me doing 3 sets on week 1 is this thing set up properly?"

Cut to week four and it's just quiet whimpering coming from the floor.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

I also measure my dick from the base of my balls

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Doing 5/3/1 I don't care what the barbell medicine guys say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

Not specifically pain related but I know for a fact the author (medical doctor, squats 600+, cofounder of a company that promotes evidence based training especially wrt pain) feels the same way about the effect of glute inhibition on pain. Unfortunately most of the material he and his business partner put out nowadays is in podcast format so it's hard to link their takes on specific topics.

https://startingstrength.com/article/diagnosing_silly_bullshit

Here's something to think about as an alternate explanation for your recovery.

Maybe the "activation" is just sort of acting as an indirect cue? You sit there and do a few bird dogs and 1 leg hip fucks into the air or whatever and your brain is suddenly focused on your rear end and using it good. Perhaps that helps in the squat? I know for a fact the McGill Big 3 helps before I squat or dead. Is it just placebo? Or could it be what I said? Or maybe its something else indirect. For instance most glute activation stuff can stretch your hip flexors a little, perhaps that has an effect?